Reason for these losses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reason for these losses

Its simple basketball folks. The Lakers get a lead against inferior competition. The issue is that they get tired or for whatever reason, all they do is start shooting 3's. They are horrible at that. 6 to 7 possessions shooting 3's and no baskets. They need to focus on what they are good at. Go inside. Westbrick needs to take it to the hole every single time. Why does he shoot. LBJ has a football body. He should plow his way in on key possessions'; play the percentages, either he gets a basket or he gets fouled. Against the Kings, on critical possessions, LBJ is shooting 3's which of course he missed.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Why would the other team just let Westbrook and lebron go to the rim? Would you let curry shoot 3s every time?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Lakers up 19 and then...

2:59 James jumper
2:15 Anthony 3pt
1:25 Tucker layup
0:48 Monk 3pt
0:14 Tucker layup
11:44 Monk jumper
10:51 Westbrook layup
10:02 Tucker jumper
9:19 Tucker layup
9:00 Ellington 3pt
8:47 Monk layup
8:14 Ellington 3pt
7:35 James jumper
7:03 Bradley 3pt
6:42 Davis layup
6:15 Davis jumper
5:55 Tucker 3pt
5:28 Tucker 3pt
4:56 James 3pt

Lakers: -13 and lead down to 6.

In other words out of 19 possessions the Lakers took 13 jumpers, 8 of them were 3pt shots (made 1 of 7).

So basically 2 out of 3 shots were settling for jumpers.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject:

The Pistons ran zone, too.

But in general IMO it's when they go with smaller ball and more pace/space. They try to get that quick 3 pointer. It drives me nuts. Don't play right into the opponents hand.

When we get the ball into AD, there's some cutting. There's some doubles and an opening or AD takes a high percentage shot. When we set screens for WB (even with 2 Centers) we get a good layup or mid-range shot up, or a pass to a big for an open look. Bron, he is good at getting baskets for himself.

What we need to stop the pace/space obsession and just play physical "bigger than you" basketball. We played that way for 3 Qs. Then we decided to go back to the soft stuff. AD gets a lot of heat for being soft, but the team in itself plays soft. Not just AD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Why would the other team just let Westbrook and lebron go to the rim? Would you let curry shoot 3s every time?

that is why you pass it around inside and out. Of course the opposing team is not just gonna let them. That is obvious. But you have 3 superstars that have that capability. You never watched 80s basketball. You should watch, so you can learn how they did it. When they needed a hoop, they would go inside to Jabbar or Worthy, or Magic would drive it in for a foul or potential kick out. They would never just start shooting 3's. I can understand if they were good at it. But we are horrible at 3s. No need to keep doing what we suck at. We need to punish the other teams by going inside every single time. THT, who can create his own shot, is shooting 3s in crunch time like if he is a great shooter. These are critical possessions and the Pistons (a horrible team) almost won.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject:

chains wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

that is why you pass it around inside and out. Of course the opposing team is not just gonna let them. That is obvious. But you have 3 superstars that have that capability. You never watched 80s basketball. You should watch, so you can learn how they did it. When they needed a hoop, they would go inside to Jabbar or Worthy, or Magic would drive it in for a foul or potential kick out. They would never just start shooting 3's. I can understand if they were good at it. But we are horrible at 3s. No need to keep doing what we suck at. We need to punish the other teams by going inside every single time. THT, who can create his own shot, is shooting 3s in crunch time like if he is a great shooter. These are critical possessions and the Pistons (a horrible team) almost won.

First of all, I have watched 80s basketball, and using that for todays game will not work simply because of the rules. You were not allowed to fake double team back then. The illegal defense rule made sure stars were able to play one on one or make easy reads off double teams. Todays era is just different because everyone is shooting 3s instead of going against a complex defense with ton of weak side help. Just to illustrate, the championship defense we played in 2019-2020 would get called for a tech almost every possession.
Second, 80s are not exactly known for their defense, everyone was scoring at at Will until the pistons come around.
At last, yes this current lakers team would fit nicely in the 80s when 3 point shooting is not the main weapon
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Pistons ran zone, too.

But in general IMO it's when they go with smaller ball and more pace/space. They try to get that quick 3 pointer. It drives me nuts. Don't play right into the opponents hand.

When we get the ball into AD, there's some cutting. There's some doubles and an opening or AD takes a high percentage shot. When we set screens for WB (even with 2 Centers) we get a good layup or mid-range shot up, or a pass to a big for an open look. Bron, he is good at getting baskets for himself.

What we need to stop the pace/space obsession and just play physical "bigger than you" basketball. We played that way for 3 Qs. Then we decided to go back to the soft stuff. AD gets a lot of heat for being soft, but the team in itself plays soft. Not just AD.

Good points wolf. Lakers just aren’t a good enough 3PT shooting team to play GS basketball. They don’t have those guys and whenever they get reputable 3 PT role guys those dudes feel the pressure and start putting up bricks. Stick to the physically imposing elite skill of your big 3 and have the role guys play off that strength.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
chains wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

First of all, I have watched 80s basketball, and using that for todays game will not work simply because of the rules. You were not allowed to fake double team back then. The illegal defense rule made sure stars were able to play one on one or make easy reads off double teams. Todays era is just different because everyone is shooting 3s instead of going against a complex defense with ton of weak side help. Just to illustrate, the championship defense we played in 2019-2020 would get called for a tech almost every possession.
Second, 80s are not exactly known for their defense, everyone was scoring at at Will until the pistons come around.
At last, yes this current lakers team would fit nicely in the 80s when 3 point shooting is not the main weapon

This is why Vogel will be fired my friend. Of course this era is different. But our players our horrible at 3 point shooting. So since we suck at 3 point shooting you keep doing it. Like I said, no one has a player like LBJ that is built like a football player. Who is more physical than him? We have to make teams adjust to us. So if we had a prime Shaq, we are going to have Shaq shoot 3's all day long, because that is the era. Shaq was a brute. No matter what era, Shaq can dominate . No one can stop him. Golden State plays the way they do, because they are good at shooting and they have no big men. We have several players that can create their own shots and take it to the hole. And in crunch time, all we are doing are shooting 3s. We need to stop adjusting to defenses and play to our strengths. Rules may change, however, it is still basic basketball.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

When they get a big lead the Lakers start joking around and they end up settling for a lot of 3s and jumpshots.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Some of it is arrogance, believing they are better than they actually are. Lack of consistent effort is apparent also.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:27 pm    Post subject:

At least for one half tonight they were not what they’ve been all year. Lazy and entitled.

What energy and defense. A beating and it was our best half of the season.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject:

chains wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
chains wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

This is why Vogel will be fired my friend. Of course this era is different. But our players our horrible at 3 point shooting. So since we suck at 3 point shooting you keep doing it. Like I said, no one has a player like LBJ that is built like a football player. Who is more physical than him? We have to make teams adjust to us. So if we had a prime Shaq, we are going to have Shaq shoot 3's all day long, because that is the era. Shaq was a brute. No matter what era, Shaq can dominate . No one can stop him. Golden State plays the way they do, because they are good at shooting and they have no big men. We have several players that can create their own shots and take it to the hole. And in crunch time, all we are doing are shooting 3s. We need to stop adjusting to defenses and play to our strengths. Rules may change, however, it is still basic basketball.

Yeah, lebron is a football player, that’s why teams just let him shoot, they don’t even double him even if their center was guarding him. Shaq was dominating in the old era( no zone defense), but his decline started in 2006, similar time when the zone was back. I know his body was declining too, but if you played basketball, you would know that a secondary defender sitting back and not commit is very annoying, and the old rules prevented that. The 3 point shooting will be the modern game. If you watch tonight’s game, you would see a lot of times 5 kings players were inside the paint daring the lakers to make a 3, and tonight they did.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reason for these losses

chains wrote:
Its simple basketball folks. The Lakers get a lead against inferior competition. The issue is that they get tired or for whatever reason, all they do is start shooting 3's. They are horrible at that. 6 to 7 possessions shooting 3's and no baskets. They need to focus on what they are good at. Go inside. Westbrook needs to take it to the hole every single time. Why does he shoot. LBJ has a football body. He should plow his way in on key possessions'; play the percentages, either he gets a basket or he gets fouled. Against the Kings, on critical possessions, LBJ is shooting 3's which of course he missed.

7 for 35 three-point shooting tonight against the Suns. I said it before, i am saying it again. Why do we keep shooting threes? We suck at the threes. Why is there not flow to our offense. Vogel will be out very soon. Stupidity at its finest. You let CP3 do whatever he wants and he is the shortest player on the court.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject:

Don't think too hard it's just a bad team
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Reason for these losses

chains wrote:
chains wrote:
Its simple basketball folks. The Lakers get a lead against inferior competition. The issue is that they get tired or for whatever reason, all they do is start shooting 3's. They are horrible at that. 6 to 7 possessions shooting 3's and no baskets. They need to focus on what they are good at. Go inside. Westbrook needs to take it to the hole every single time. Why does he shoot. LBJ has a football body. He should plow his way in on key possessions'; play the percentages, either he gets a basket or he gets fouled. Against the Kings, on critical possessions, LBJ is shooting 3's which of course he missed.

7 for 35 three-point shooting tonight against the Suns. I said it before, i am saying it again. Why do we keep shooting threes? We suck at the threes. Why is there not flow to our offense. Vogel will be out very soon. Stupidity at its finest. You let CP3 do whatever he wants and he is the shortest player on the court.

I won’t use tonight’s game as an an example, rather the whole season. Yes small ball can create advantages. If you have players that can knock down threes and take people off the dribble. Right now the small ball isn’t worth the risk, unfortunately that’s all the lakers have.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject:

If your putting a guard heavy roster on the floor, they better be able to spread the floor. Instead we have Westbrook and THT starting next to LBJ and a big. Teams are literally collapsing the paint. LBJ, THT, and Westbrook are just neutralized.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Don't think too hard it's just a bad team

Yes, i agree, we are a bad team, but i guess we are stupid to. If i suck at something, i will quit doing it. I will do what i am good at. Simple logic.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject:

Not having a player who has to be consistently contested in the mid range hurts as well.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject:

Using DJ before DH, they bench DH but can't bench DJ.
And Bron at center is almost a giveaway for the opponent, worst decision than putting harrell @ center last season.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
If your putting a guard heavy roster on the floor, they better be able to spread the floor. Instead we have Westbrook and THT starting next to LBJ and a big. Teams are literally collapsing the paint. LBJ, THT, and Westbrook are just neutralized.

Spread the floor but keep on putting guys like THT, Rondo, Westbrook mostly at the same time I dont know what the coaching staff are smoking. They clearly don't know why they need to go small.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

Spread the floor but keep on putting guys like THT, Rondo, Westbrook mostly at the same time I dont know what the coaching staff are smoking. They clearly don't know why they need to go small.

Coaching staff is desperate to find some combination of players willing and able to consistently play together with effort and efficiency.

Other then a few brief glimpses for a quarter or two, we really haven’t seen it.

Lakers are 32 games into the season and still trying find roles, health and chemistry. Hope they find it soon because this team is disappointing and frustrating to watch.

There are some really entertaining NBA teams. Solid rosters that play hard and with chemistry. Lakers are not one of them.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

They can't keep up defensively when other teams go on runs. They need lengthy wing defenders and rim protection. Things will improve as Ariza is worked into the rotation, but they still need a big that can deter shots in the paint.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

It's just difficult winning games while trying to make non-complementary pieces fit. Looking at the bulls kind of reminds me of our championship team. They do have a little continuity with their roster, but the new pieces like Zo, Caruso, Demar and Vucevic play well together.

It's just night and day. We make things more difficult than they should be.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

We blew up a championship team.

Has that ever happened before?

Now we will be years in obscurity- hope someday we will be back but it won’t be easy.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:
We blew up a championship team.

Has that ever happened before?

Now we will be years in obscurity- hope someday we will be back but it won’t be easy.

2011 Mavs.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: