Who takes majority blame for the Lakers poor start to this season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

who gets majority blame for this poor start
Lebron- coasting thru season, too much influence in franchise
14%
 14%  [ 11 ]
Anthony Davis- playing lazy and inconsistent
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Rob Pelinka - broke up championship team for no reason
35%
 35%  [ 26 ]
Russell Westbrook - too many turnovers and poor shooting
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Jeanie Buss- not being hands on enough
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Roll players - like THT, Baze, so forth, poor shooting/defense
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
injuries
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
Vogel- poor rotations and offensive strategy
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 74

troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Who takes majority blame for the Lakers poor start to this season?

We are definitely underperforming, even though we can certainly turn it all around. But still, who should take the MOST (not all, but the majority) of the blame for this poor start, and why?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

Who ever put the team together. Stevie wonder could see this was not a good mix of players.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

Guess I'll be the first to vote for injuries.
With the turnover of the roster (thanks to LBJ-AD-Rob) we need a healthy squad to be able to develop an true style of play. Injuries have kept key players off the floor to be able to develop that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

All of them deserve some and it's a trick down effect where the people at the bottom will get the most blame and that's where the water gathers. Which in this case, it's Vogel.But the truth is this roster is deep but majority flawed.. players deserve some blame for not being better, Vogel for not finding ways to be more creative offensively, Pelinka for putting together this roster.

But at the end of the day, it's all done at the behest of Jeanie who while she did commit to spending money, she didn't go all in. She loves her poker analogies but she didn't follow them.. This was the year to spend as much as needed. There's no reason why we don't have AC as the starting 2 guard and Dennis as the 6th man. That would have left the mMLE for a wing like Otto Porter Jr. Then you have THT as a S&T possibility.

So I guess the blame trickles down but the reasoning started at the top. Pelinka is the man in the middle of balancing all of it and he clearly went with Russ knowing he'd have to go bargain bin shopping for cheap vets around the new big 3.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject:

#1 Lebron injury
#2 Westbrook for taking time fitting in (he now fits, but the first few weeks were bad)
#3 Rob for not adding enough perimeter defenders for Vogel
#4 AD's mentality not being consistent enough to be the best player on the floor each night
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

We are 7-4 with Bron, so if Bron misses only a few games, we're likely facing the same issues we are now, but we sit somewhere like 14-8 and the team is 3rd or 4th in the conference. I don't think we are better than the 3rd or 4th best team in the West. It's the reality of the situation, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

It's a worst case scenario if we play around the third or fourth best team in the west because it's good enough that they will just stay the course and possibly resign Russ and LBJ for long contracts... but not good enough to win a title.

As I've said before... if LBJ was younger, then none of this would be an issue because Russ and AD are good enough sidekicks to take young LBJ to the finals.

But Russ and AD with old LBJ will likely accomplish nothing other than making the playoffs.

I don't want to see the team crash and burn... especially with no draft picks... but if it means not signing Russ long term, it might be worth paying the short term price.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

The criticism of Rob "breaking up" a championship team is so misguided. Due to free agency, there's always roster turnover. Most of the championship team returned for last season and it just didn't work. Trez and Marc ended up not being good fits and LeBron/AD were not healthy. Rob is seemingly just the FO figurehead right now with LeBron doing most (all) of recruiting.

Coaching plays a part, but it's really upon the players to find cohesion and perform. I can't look at this situation and say that it's Vogel's fault and that changing coaches will yield a better result. The players need to figure it out. I'm placing most of the blame on this poor start on LeBron not being healthy and AD forgetting how to play like he did in the championship season.

I'm disappointed with what we've seen so far, no doubt. But I also think it's premature to consider this a failure yet. The Heatles struggled a lot in their first season and still made it to the finals. This group is talented enough to make a run if they can figure it out and avoid major injury...that's just a big "IF" at this point.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

^
I think when we talk about "break up" we talk about the Danny Green for Dennis move. I feel that one move changed everything. In how we played. We went into dual guard mode, instead of Bron as PG, two shooting wings, AD and a big. Now it's Bron and Dennis as dual PGs, 1 shooting wing, AD, and a big.

That was a massive change, one I was never really a fan of. Now they just upgraded from Dennis to Westbrook. But it cost LA so many important wing/guards who defended.

Overall I agree championship teams role players tend to change. It's just that our changes led to a change in how we played, too. Instead of Bron leading the league in assists 2 years ago, he's become more of an off the ball scoring threat. He's shooting a lot more 3s. But this all could be by design of team Lebron. Lebron may not have wanted to continue playing the PG position full time. If that's the case, then I don't blame Rob for what he's done in that regard. Bron played the PG spot full time 2 years ago. However last year and this year, he is more of a dual PG/wing. There's been a big shift in his role, and also that's affected how we use AD. In that sense, I see change. The Lakers view this as making them better in the big picture. Lets see. Didn't like the make up of the team with Dennis being the PG last year, and while Westbrook is definitely better the net result hasn't been the positive impact they were probably thinking of.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

Where’s the vote for Jeannie Buss for penny pinching field out rest of the roster?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
I think when we talk about "break up" we talk about the Danny Green for Dennis move. I feel that one move changed everything. In how we played. We went into dual guard mode, instead of Bron as PG, two shooting wings, AD and a big. Now it's Bron and Dennis as dual PGs, 1 shooting wing, AD, and a big.

That was a massive change, one I was never really a fan of. Now they just upgraded from Dennis to Westbrook. But it cost LA so many important wing/guards who defended.

Overall I agree championship teams role players tend to change. It's just that our changes led to a change in how we played, too. Instead of Bron leading the league in assists 2 years ago, he's become more of an off the ball scoring threat. He's shooting a lot more 3s. But this all could be by design of team Lebron. Lebron may not have wanted to continue playing the PG position full time. If that's the case, then I don't blame Rob for what he's done in that regard. Bron played the PG spot full time 2 years ago. However last year and this year, he is more of a dual PG/wing. There's been a big shift in his role, and also that's affected how we use AD. In that sense, I see change. The Lakers view this as making them better in the big picture. Lets see. Didn't like the make up of the team with Dennis being the PG last year, and while Westbrook is definitely better the net result hasn't been the positive impact they were probably thinking of.

but Lebron missed a ton of games in the last 2 seasons. we'd probably missed the playoffs with DS and be 10 games under 500 without Westbrook. what changed the most from our championship year is not the rosters, it is the fact that Lebron and AD are just not as dominant (injuries or age).
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

Pelinka is the ultimate decider on all personnel decisions. Lebron could give his inputs but it's Pelinka's job to act on those inputs. Absent of concrete evidence, people shouldn't make baseless claims about Bron and Klutch running the Lakers.

As far as I'm concerned, Pelinka was responsible for the Lakers roster from the day he became GM. He was responsible for our latest championship, lucky or not. He is responsible for the team today.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^

In hindsight the Green for Schroeder swap was a disaster. I don't think it was a wrong move though. Green is still a solid player, but I don't think he's quite worth what his contract is (was) paying him. He struggled at times in the bubble and KCP stepped up and seemed like he could shoulder more load at the 2 with Green gone. Getting the sixth man runner-up for very little in exchange seemed like a good trade to make.

At the time Schroeder seemed like a good get to lessen LeBron's load and help extend his career and keep healthy. Schroeder not only didn't fit, LeBron still got hurt. Without question, Rondo and Schroeder are completely different players, but the chemistry (or lack thereof) between DS and AD was very apparent in comparison to Rondo. Unfortunately there's no way of really knowing how a group of players work together until they actually step onto the floor together.

Getting Westbrook is pretty much following the same formula as we hoped would work with DS - get a person who can ease some of the burden on LeBron. Russ' problem is he's very careless with the basketball because he tries too hard to make the play instead of letting it develop. He's too old to change who he is, but I just hope that with a healthy LeBron and AD that he's able to simmer down on the 60 ft outlet passes that sail/ricochet out of bounds.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

The superstars then the coaching staffs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Plenty of blame to go around. Sadly, they have dug an 8 game hole in the division.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

30% AD
20% LeGM
20% Vogel
15% Lakers FO
15% Jeanie/Ownership decisions
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Half Pelinka, half injuries
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Poor team makeup, poor results. Letting LeBron and company run
things is a terrible plan.

It's on management letting others make the decisions and for not
building a winning team.

Also, it's on LG for not being load enough, lol...just kidding...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie gets a whole bunch of blame for not opening wallet as much as possible... that included AC and Dennis via bird rights. Paying extra for those 2 allowed us to use the mMLE to address a bigger wing (Porter Jr or Rudy Gay). The spending concerns seems to carry across the board.. not just players.

But Rob also likely knew exactly what her threshold to spend was and decided bringing in Russ and then cheaper ancillary parts on minimum deals was the more prudent move. Was he influenced by LeBron/AD.. 100% but he also has final say. As of today, Russ is playing better so I won't get tooo upset at that deal but we could have targeted much better options for the minimum ie guys like Bjelica, Hartenstein, etc.

Vogel then has done a terrible job finding a system to work for this team on both sides of the floor so major blame is assigned there. He should have done better. But was it fully his fault they didn't go after a higher priced bench staff or was that back to Jeanie and Rob trying to save costs? Frank never struck me as an ego guy.. the dude took the job under the weirdest circumstances knowing that Kidd was waiting in the wings.

LeBron and AD run this team so if effort is the issue, it falls on them two.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Jeanie gets a whole bunch of blame for not opening wallet as much as possible... that included AC and Dennis via bird rights. Paying extra for those 2 allowed us to use the mMLE to address a bigger wing (Porter Jr or Rudy Gay). The spending concerns seems to carry across the board.. not just players.

But Rob also likely knew exactly what her threshold to spend was and decided bringing in Russ and then cheaper ancillary parts on minimum deals was the more prudent move. Was he influenced by LeBron/AD.. 100% but he also has final say. As of today, Russ is playing better so I won't get tooo upset at that deal but we could have targeted much better options for the minimum ie guys like Bjelica, Hartenstein, etc.

Vogel then has done a terrible job finding a system to work for this team on both sides of the floor so major blame is assigned there. He should have done better. But was it fully his fault they didn't go after a higher priced bench staff or was that back to Jeanie and Rob trying to save costs? Frank never struck me as an ego guy.. the dude took the job under the weirdest circumstances knowing that Kidd was waiting in the wings.

LeBron and AD run this team so if effort is the issue, it falls on them two.

Money the Lakers had and spent, just not wisely in all cases. Lakers are the 4th most expensive team behind GSW, Nets & Clips (but by $4mm). Milwaukee is 5th and are the camps; fyi.

The franchise has spent money, but that alone is not conducive to winning.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Probably Jeanie and Rob.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka, Jeanie, AD, in no particular order.

Younger fans are giving AD a pass, but you can't pay a guy 159 million, expecting him to get the torch handed over to him and not perform like a franchise player.

At this point it's going to become impossible for him to half his jersey in the rafters.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject:

We’re these the players Pelinka wanted or LbJ?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject:

Ownership and Rob.

This team is old and there's nothing to look forward to.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

Started with dropping Jones for Drummond. Then if you are going to risk adding Drummond, maybe keep him around instead of letting him sign min with the Sixers (he would still be better than DJ at this point). Then further boneheaded moves...letting Caruso go for nothing; trading away the depth for Westbrook; signing too many small guards to fill out the roster. I mean if you wanted to go small with AD at center, your forwards are Ariza, LBJ & Melo. You expected to guard who with that group? After those three an entire roster of undersized guards. Rob overthought it last year, then went nuclear this year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: