STAPLES CENTER CHANGING NAMES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Lakers likely get free rent out of the deal.

I am sure they never paid any real rent since 1999 as AEG was a minority owner and without the Lakers, they certainly will take a significant profit cut.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject:

>2034 AD

>3 years after the conclusion of the 2nd Sino-Mexican thermonuclear war

>your virtual avatar emerges from the entrance of the Pepsico-Disney bitcoin mine shaft and you punch your timecard at 6:03pm, PBT (pacific Bezos time)

>instantly, your physical body regains consciousness and you leap out of your tub of cerebro spinal electrolyte stasis fluid, also known by its retail branding "Sierra Mist Hammer and Sickle©"

>you wipe the matrix jizz off of your occipital gasket escutcheon and exclaim that you might be late for tonight's Lakers home game vs. the Kosovo Clippers. The pregame notes feed into your mandatory smart wall

>LeBron is sitting out...again? Ugh. Typical. Hopefully Westbrook, Ariza, Melo, and Cyborg Derek Harper can pick up his slack.

>You leave your residential cubicle and run to your building's elevator. You get in and mash the G* button.

>During the 8 minutes it takes to lift you 40 floors up to the ground level, you hail an Uber

>You find that your uber account is still suspended because of that time 4 months ago that your composting toilet uploaded a recording of someone with your vocal signature laughing at a Dave Chappelle joke. The voice was actually your cousin's.

> You have served your sentence, but haven't taken the education pill that will prompt the zeitgeist credit algorithm to release your suspension.

>"I don't have time for this crap," you say to yourself. You press the "EDUCATION" button on the app which causes a pneumatic tube to pop out of the floor. It shoots a pill into the air and you catch it in your mouth and you swallow it, and Uber unsuspends you simultaneously

>The pill is just dehydrated diet pepsi

>Your uber drops you off at the https://crypto.com/us/about#page-contact?fbcid=398fjf838j4rxj28fjg4j.jsm Arena

>Just before the anthems for 7 countries are sung, a moment of silence is held for Kyrie Irving who was killed by PepsiCo's hepatitis A oral vaccine

>the vaccine was just pepsi

>Final score: Kosovo Clippers 21 - Los Angeles Lakers brought to you by 新華 Bron Productions: 0

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
WE WANT TACOS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

I love crypto.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject:

staples was inches away from becoming Intuit center until ballmer and his people stepped in.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jeannie Buss gets nothing out of the naming change. She’s just a tenant in the building.

Lakers are the anchor tenant. They likely get a piece of everything - including the Clippers gate.

Very unlikely. Word was that AEG didn’t charge the Lakers to play at Staples but the Lakers have no ownership in the arena. I would guess that AEG considers their own Kings as the anchor tenant.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

The Buss family gave a percentage of ownership to AEG when they moved to Staples when it was new back in 1999. So they don't own the arena but they are basically there for free via ownership percentage swap. This time though, since the Clippers are moving out and they still need the Lakers to be one of the major tenants I'm sure they are going to play there rent free. In exchange for them staying they are going to make major renovations to the arena, probably close to what was spent on MSG when they did their 1 billion dollar renovation. As far as Staples is concerned I read their sponsorship ended in 2019, so they were basically getting free advertising from AEG for the past 2 years.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jeannie Buss gets nothing out of the naming change. She’s just a tenant in the building.

Lakers are the anchor tenant. They likely get a piece of everything - including the Clippers gate.

Over the years, I've seen all sorts of guesses about the Lakers arrangement with AEG, but I've never seen anything from anyone who seemed to speaking from a position of genuine knowledge.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The Buss family gave a percentage of ownership to AEG when they moved to Staples when it was new back in 1999. So they don't own the arena but they are basically there for free via ownership percentage swap. This time though, since the Clippers are moving out and they still need the Lakers to be one of the major tenants I'm sure they are going to play there rent free. In exchange for them staying they are going to make major renovations to the arena, probably close to what was spent on MSG when they did their 1 billion dollar renovation. As far as Staples is concerned I read their sponsorship ended in 2019, so they were basically getting free advertising from AEG for the past 2 years.

i would hope Jeanie got something more than Free rent because there is no way AEG can get 700 mil for 20 years without the Lakers extending their lease. i really hoped Jeanie would opt to build her own arena.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

i would hope Jeanie got something more than Free rent because there is no way AEG can get 700 mil for 20 years without the Lakers extending their lease. i really hoped Jeanie would opt to build her own arena.

Jeanie couldn’t afford it.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Jeanie couldn’t afford it.

yeah, but you think these billionaires actually paying out of their pockets for things like this? the chase center was financed, and the additional revenue generated more than paid for it. you think the banks would say no to the Lakers?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

At a $4 billion evaluation Jeanie’s stake would be worth about $370 million. That wouldn’t be enough to finance a $5 billion arena. If she could convince her siblings and investors to agree, they might be able to get one built. But would they accept the risk? Dr. Buss understood where the team was financially and I think that Jeanie does too. They have a good deal at Staples and likely have no plans on leaving.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
At a $4 billion evaluation Jeanie’s stake would be worth about $370 million. That wouldn’t be enough to finance a $5 billion arena. If she could convince her siblings and investors to agree, they might be able to get one built. But would they accept the risk? Dr. Buss understood where the team was financially and I think that Jeanie does too. They have a good deal at Staples and likely have no plans on leaving.

the buss family owns 66% of the Lakers, and Jeanie is the controlling owner. a good deal in 1999 doesn't mean a good deal in 2021. you can argue the Dubs took a big chance with Chase center, but after their success, what risk is there exactly? lakers is a far more popular brand in a prime market.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The Lakers extended their lease back in May. They are committed to the playing in the arena until 2041.

As usual, no details of the deal were announced.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Wow, the name on the building would pay for 1/2 a new Stadium. Something to remember the next time the Lakers are house shopping.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Wow, the name on the building would pay for 1/2 a new Stadium. Something to remember the next time the Lakers are house shopping.

New stadiums run $4-5 billion, the naming rights are a drop in the bucket.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

CNBC says $1.2B. Probably depends on what you include in the price.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

Well, they're probably not getting the $700 million upfront. It's $35 million a year for 20 years.

Some stadiums do cost under $2 billion, but a state-of-the-art stadium in a place like LA would likely run closer to $4-5 billion.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject:

So will this be the introduction video before each game? I just hope our players don't look like Crypt Keepers by the time this season in over.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject:

Staples Center cost $375 million to build in 1999.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

Apparently Netflix was the runner-up bidder. Would have sounded weird as well
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject:

Could be a lot worse... like Feces Center.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
Apparently Netflix was the runner-up bidder. Would have sounded weird as well

From my people intuit was all but locked in until last minute ballmer dive.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

What? No NBA arena has cost anywhere close to that. Even the recent football stadiums haven't cost that much.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

What? No NBA arena has cost anywhere close to that. Even the recent football stadiums haven't cost that much.

VLF likes talking about stuff he has no knowledge about.

Chase Center cost $1.4B, for example.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

VLF likes talking about stuff he has no knowledge about.

Chase Center cost $1.4B, for example.

Not to mention the only reason its that expensive is because an NFL stadium has a much larger footprint than an NBA arena.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: