Should the Lakers Go All in on A Rebuild?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers go all in on a rebuild?
Yes-Rebuild
51%
 51%  [ 31 ]
No-Maximize LeBron/AD these last 2 years. Trade Draft picks
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Middle ground-Add around the edges with an eye for future post LeBron
31%
 31%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 60

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Should the Lakers Go All in on A Rebuild?

This seems to be a small debate in multiple threads on this topic. Wanted to get a poll in to get a more accurate gage of how people feel. Lakers are really at a crossroads here. Not good enough to truly contend. But LeBron/AD will keep us in that 6-10 seed range.

3 options

1. Rebuild-Trade AD, DLO, Rui etc
-Would only work if we are able to get our 2025 pick back from NO similar to what the Nets did.
-Only AD might actually have value on this team besides Reaves.
2. Go All In-Trade the 3 1st to maximize the last 2 years of LeBron/AD.
3. Add around the edges without trading future parts
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject:

the poll should be either rebuild or go all in. middle ground just buy front office/ownership time while fans suffer. we've been mess around the edges since 2020, and have gotten nowhere.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
the poll should be either rebuild or go all in. middle ground just buy front office/ownership time while fans suffer. we've been mess around the edges since 2020, and have gotten nowhere.

You know what. I kind of agree. Make a decision.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:46 am    Post subject:

Yes to a rebuild. We are already in it whether we like it or not.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject:

this team even with a health LeBron and AD is NOT close to a title. trading for another aging star not gonna help either, while the team lose even more future assets. it's a no brainer, time for rebuild. fans are not dumb, can't just sell us the LeBron, AD picture like they were in their 20s.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject:

I agree it's time for a rebuild but it would have to start with trading Lebron and AD. Let's do it!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject:

Yes, I think so. It doesn't mean we need to do anything crazy like trade AD. We should gather assets and try to come with a concrete plan.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject:

They should just play. Try to make smart moves and don’t pay 160 for 3. Rebuilds eventually happen regardless of what the FO thinks.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Yes, I think so. It doesn't mean we need to do anything crazy like trade AD. We should gather assets and try to come with a concrete plan.

Why is trading AD crazy?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject:

If 34 year old KD can get you Sengun and other assets then AD should be able to bring us a major haul
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject:

Rebuild with Pelinka? Risky. I'd want to see a new GM if we were to rebuild. Look at Foston, good GMs make a lot of good decisions over a course of a decade and look at where they are now.

defense wrote:

AD is not going to stay with a rebuilding team. He was getting that in New Orleans and wanted to gtfo da there already.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject:

IMO the Lakers should build around the edges and prepare for LALBJ (Life After LeBron James) I've been saying that for a while. We have a solid young core. We should develop it and draft wisely. I said before and I'll repeat it. Do as the hated Celtics did, draft and develop. The Lakers win now formula isn't working. Patience is key.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
IMO the Lakers should build around the edges and prepare for LALBJ (Life After LeBron James) I've been saying that for a while. We have a solid young core. We should develop it and draft wisely. I said before and I'll repeat it. Do as the hated Celtics did, draft and develop. The Lakers win now formula isn't working. Patience is key.

We're still paying the bill for the last all-in. We have a rookie coach and still owe next year's pick. Take a shot with what you have and look for good value trades. We don't have access to one the next generational talents it would appear, so look for young supporting players you can put around a generational player that you may never get.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject:

We just saw what Dallas did…and no they didn’t win a title but…they went from missing the playin (tanked it but still a playin before) to playing in the championship game by adding two role type players. The Lakers have a chance to compete for a title with LBJ/AD if they commit by adding the players to fill the holes in backcourt defense and frontcourt rebounding without downgrading existing production.

Why would delaying the inevitable lottery tour for 2 more years matter if there is a chance for a ship now? Competing for a ship is rare, being in the lottery is guaranteed, and teams typically stay there in the lottery wallowing in failure for at least a decade before contending again. DO WHAT IS RARE!!!

Sadly I don’t think it matters because the FO doesn’t appear to me to be representative of the historic past Lakers as they are more interested in draft picks and luxury tax like so many fans instead of competing. It’s illogical denial imo to pretend the Lakers aren’t in a position to add the right pieces to compete.

Even the team as is looks like it had a CHANCE TO WIN A TITLE THIS PAST SEASON if Wood/Vando/Cam weren’t hurt (backcourt defense/frontcourt rebounding), and Vincent wasn’t an almost total waste with his production while facing coaching challenges. Had Ham just played Max Christie enough for Wood/Vando/Cam to get healthy it could have easily turned out differently. And no…I’m not saying those injuries were to all star type players…the injuries weren’t to overall game changers but the margin of losses were so close that any incremental improvement can be imagined to put the Lakers in ship contention.

Why does it matter to rush to the lottery if there is a chance for a title even if it’s a long shot? The Lakers could be there in the lottery forna long time and not win a ship for the next:

8 years (72 to 80),
or 12 years (88 to 00),
or 7 years (02 to 09),
or 10 years (10 to 20).

Considering the time it has taken in the past to get back to a ship winner, 2 more years of trying shouldn’t be a reason to rush a re-build that’s likely gonna take 8-10 years either way.

We think differently, call me delusional and I’ll own it, I call the opposite LOSERS who are afraid of trying because it looks hard so they would rather quit. Sure, it avoids the pain of trying and possibly failing, but quitting and not trying feels worse to me and the prolonged pain of a lottery tour…knowing I didn’t try…for me would be weak arse loser shat. That’s my stance, I think it’s ingrained psychologically so no you aren’t gonna change my mind, and since it is ingrained, I realize I won’t change yours either. We just see things a different way. By yours I’m not speaking to any one person, it’s directed to all who prefer to quit.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject:

Also...The West is LOADED.

1. OKC-Will be back stronger and better. Still have 30mill in cap space to spend
2. Nuggets-Hoping they lose KCP
3. Minny-Will likely be same team. Conley year older
4. Clippers-Hoping PG leaves in free agency.
5. Mavs-Full year of Gafford/Washington. Will likely trade THJ for an upgrade
6. Suns-Maybe not true contenders but still won 50 games with Beal missing 30 games
7. Pelicans-No idea what they look like after Ingram trade. Val likely leaving
8. Kings-Was hoping Monk left
9. Warriors-Will probably be on outside looking in
10. Rockets-They are dangerous. Young solid core+Vets+Trade assets. Believe they will make a big move. PG?
11. Grizz-Slept on team no one is talking about. They will be back
12. Spurs-Wemby+2 lottery picks. Really hoping they dont end up with Clingan or they will have the best defense for the next decade.
13. Jazz-Sounds like they are ready to cash in on some draft picks and make a big trade.

Only for sure terrible team is Portland (and as of right now they even have solid vets if healthy, Grant/Brogdon/Williams/Ayton)
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Yes to a rebuild. We are already in it whether we like it or not.

That is an opinion that could be either true or false, none of us really know for sure and we’re all speculating. However, based on the players production, the opinion appears more likely to be…an emotionally driven frustration…false.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this team even with a health LeBron and AD is NOT close to a title. trading for another aging star not gonna help either, while the team lose even more future assets. it's a no brainer, time for rebuild. fans are not dumb, can't just sell us the LeBron, AD picture like they were in their 20s.

Neither was Dallas until they made incremental changes, and the Lakers were closer than Dallas before. You could be right but based on what we saw you look wrong.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
defense wrote:

Why is trading AD crazy?

He's a top tier player with a good 4 years of high level play left.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject:

AD is practically the entire defense, so if you want a high chance of not giving the Pels a lottery pick next season, you have to keep him around. Otherwise trading him right now plays right into the Pels' hands.

That's why I recommend a soft rebuild around AD. Surround him with scrappy 3 and D guys and hope that they build a foundation strong enough to attract free agents. It's all about culture and foundation now.

JJ has a monumental task ahead of him.

Last edited by Denny_Russo on Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The Keltics building with their draftees didn’t win squat (Smart/Rozier/Williams). It was the addition of Jrue/Porzingis to their best two drafted players Tatum/Brown that pushed them over the edge. That’s what the Lakers should do imo with their best two players LBJ/AD by adding two non-all stars to them to fill the holes.

Causing a rebuild that takes 10 years instead of 8 would be worth the chance at a ship, even if it meant delaying the rebuild for 2 more years to try.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
ocho wrote:
defense wrote:

Why is trading AD crazy?

He's a top tier player with a good 4 years of high level play left.

But that’s why you trade him
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject:

They should but they won't. Jeanie doesn't know anything else.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
We just saw what Dallas did…and no they didn’t win a title but…they went from missing the playin (tanked it but still a playin before) to playing in the championship game by adding two role type players. The Lakers have a chance to compete for a title with LBJ/AD if they commit by adding the players to fill the holes in backcourt defense and frontcourt rebounding without downgrading existing production.

Why would delaying the inevitable lottery tour for 2 more years matter if there is a chance for a ship now? Competing for a ship is rare, being in the lottery is guaranteed, and teams typically stay there in the lottery wallowing in failure for at least a decade before contending again. DO WHAT IS RARE!!!

Sadly I don’t think it matters because the FO doesn’t appear to me to be representative of the historic past Lakers as they are more interested in draft picks and luxury tax like so many fans instead of competing. It’s illogical denial imo to pretend the Lakers aren’t in a position to add the right pieces to compete.

Even the team as is looks like it had a CHANCE TO WIN A TITLE THIS PAST SEASON if Wood/Vando/Cam weren’t hurt (backcourt defense/frontcourt rebounding), and Vincent wasn’t an almost total waste with his production while facing coaching challenges. Had Ham just played Max Christie enough for Wood/Vando/Cam to get healthy it could have easily turned out differently. And no…I’m not saying those injuries were to all star type players…the injuries weren’t to overall game changers but the margin of losses were so close that any incremental improvement can be imagined to put the Lakers in ship contention.

Why does it matter to rush to the lottery if there is a chance for a title even if it’s a long shot? The Lakers could be there in the lottery forna long time and not win a ship for the next:

8 years (72 to 80),
or 12 years (88 to 00),
or 7 years (02 to 09),
or 10 years (10 to 20).

Considering the time it has taken in the past to get back to a ship winner, 2 more years of trying shouldn’t be a reason to rush a re-build that’s likely gonna take 8-10 years either way.

We think differently, call me delusional and I’ll own it, I call the opposite LOSERS who are afraid of trying because it looks hard so they would rather quit. Sure, it avoids the pain of trying and possibly failing, but quitting and not trying feels worse to me and the prolonged pain of a lottery tour…knowing I didn’t try…for me would be weak arse loser shat. That’s my stance, I think it’s ingrained psychologically so no you aren’t gonna change my mind, and since it is ingrained, I realize I won’t change yours either. We just see things a different way. By yours I’m not speaking to any one person, it’s directed to all who prefer to quit.

Luka is literally him. To look at them and think we can duplicate their trajectory is a bit delusional. No one is thinking “quit”, but there is no worse place to be in sports than average. There are moves that can elevate us but even those would rely heavily on Bronze and AD giving us another season of pristine health. Every other teams best players are young (most) or they are littered with 2 way guys. But you never know.
QuadDouble
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject:

lakers are clearly going all in. what they should do and shouldn't do is another topic. get ready for 3 years of Lebron and no picks.

if there's a silver lining- look at what Brooklyn just did. we can get a similar / bigger haul for ad if it doesn't work out.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject:

Rebuild. This team with Lebron and AD as the core is past their championship window, yet we deal with the same high expectations every year. Also, this is sort of a selfish reason, but as a fan on the east coast they have become a chore to watch regularly. Nothing worse than staying up until 1am on a work night while they piss away a game in the 4th quarter. I’m ready to watch a young team with no expectations for awhile and see a rebuild unfold. Now, I’m not saying Rob and crew is the right team for the job, but as of now it’s what we’ve got.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: