Meanwhile, Buddy Hield breaking 3 point shot records
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Malik Monk is better than Buddy Hield .

I agree.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Malik Monk is better than Buddy Hield .

I agree.

J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

16.7 points (40.9% fg, 39.4% 3p), 4.7 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.8 steals, 1.8 turnovers on a bad team. That's what Buddy Hield gives you. Along with poor defense.

He's not a bad player but I think it's fair to say he's basically just a three point shooter who is a poor defender. Don't we already have that in Wayne Ellington?

Now to truly put it in perspective...

Melo: 47.3% three point shooting
Wayne Ellington: 45.7% three point shooting.
Avery Bradley: 39.5% three point shooting... In a different stratosphere defensively.

The Lakers actually have three guys shooting better from three than Hield right now (not counting Howard or Sekou). And it's not as though Hield is some young prospect whose career is about to take off. He turns 29 this month. He's been in the league for six years, and peaked in his third. There is no doubt he can shoot, he takes a high volume, but it's also fair to say that after he shot 43% and 42% year 2 and 3 he hasn't hit 40% since, though he's been a very good 39% in each of those seasons.

It isn't like he's Steph Curry with worse defense and no other skills. He only does one thing, 75.7% of his shots are three point attempts. And for comparison's sake Steph Curry has only shot under 40% from three once in his career, and that was when he only played 5 games a few years ago due to injury. Steph's career three point percentage is 43.2% and it accounts for under half of his shots in his career. Buddy has topped 40% twice in a six year career. He doesn't have great handles. Isn't a great creator. Is a poor defender.

He may have made sense for the Lakers to acquire last summer because they were in dire need of shooting. They addressed that hole with cheaper alternatives without surrendering any assets. Case closed.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I just want Westbrook to stop turning the ball over so much. I'd also like for him to play some defense and stop standing around. I can live with his shooting struggles. If he can achieve those two things I mentioned above I can live with him being our starting PG. Until then, people are going to call him out every game until he actually learns.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
I just want Westbrook to stop turning the ball over so much. I'd also like for him to play some defense and stop standing around. I can live with his shooting struggles. If he can achieve those two things I mentioned above I can live with him being our starting PG. Until then, people are going to call him out every game until he actually learns.

I find the amount of turnovers that Westbrook has maddening I understand that he cannot shoot the outside shot with any kind of consistency I understand that his lips are just getting thrown at the rim some of them with no chance of going in but his passing when it’s on his hopeful to this team is energy when it’s on us hopefully this team but he just turns over the ball too damn much
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
16.7 points (40.9% fg, 39.4% 3p), 4.7 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.8 steals, 1.8 turnovers on a bad team. That's what Buddy Hield gives you. Along with poor defense.

He's not a bad player but I think it's fair to say he's basically just a three point shooter who is a poor defender. Don't we already have that in Wayne Ellington?

Avery Bradley: 39.5% three point shooting... In a different stratosphere defensively.

The Lakers actually have three guys shooting better from three than Hield right now (not counting Howard or Sekou). And it's not as though Hield is some young prospect whose career is about to take off. He turns 29 this month. He's been in the league for six years, and peaked in his third. There is no doubt he can shoot, he takes a high volume, but it's also fair to say that after he shot 43% and 42% year 2 and 3 he hasn't hit 40% since, though he's been a very good 39% in each of those seasons.

It isn't like he's Steph Curry with worse defense and no other skills. He only does one thing, 75.7% of his shots are three point attempts. And for comparison's sake Steph Curry has only shot under 40% from three once in his career, and that was when he only played 5 games a few years ago due to injury. Steph's career three point percentage is 43.2% and it accounts for under half of his shots in his career. Buddy has topped 40% twice in a six year career. He doesn't have great handles. Isn't a great creator. Is a poor defender.

He may have made sense for the Lakers to acquire last summer because they were in dire need of shooting. They addressed that hole with cheaper alternatives without surrendering any assets. Case closed.

1.) You already said that Buddy's a volume 3pt shooter, and yet you proceeded to compare him to non volume shooters. Melo was at 4.7 attempts last season, Ellington was at 5.8 3PA. Buddy on the other hand was at 10.2 3PA per game. Buddy made more 3s(288 3PM) than the 2 of them combined.

Being able to shoot at a high % on high volume is part of what makes a shooter elite.

2.) Percentages are still very fluid this early in the season. Melo was at 50%+ just a week ago and Ellington was at 39% yesterday and jumped to 45% today lol. You can't draw anything meaningful from such a small sample size.

Even if you were to use stats this season, Hield would still emerge as one of the best shooters so far. Among 16 players who are taking more than 8.0 3's a game, only Grayson Allen is currently shooting better than Hield.

Hield is at 39.4%, Steph Curry is at 38.7%, Duncan Robinson is at 33%, Lillard at 26%, PG13 at 35.7% and Tatum is at 32%.

3.) Wayne Ellington is no Buddy Hield. Hield is a more natural scorer. Ellington has never averaged more than 12ppg in his career while Hield was averaging 20ppg the year before Luke Walton took over and turned him into a role player. Hield can be a legit 3rd option on offense. Ellington wouldn't be a 3rd option on a lottery team.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Hield can actually put the ball down and dribble the basketball. He drove 4.8 times a game last season which would have been good for 4th on the lakers behind Bron, THT and Schroder. Ellington can't dribble more than 2 times.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject:

Who cares about a one dimensional player on a (bleep) team? Loser thread.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

I wanted Hield! We would be a better team with him. Would we be better during the regular season...probably not...without Lebron...Probably not...but with our best players playing he would have been the PERFECT 3rd option. I am not a Westbrook fan...and while I'll always root for the Lakers...his play makes it hard to watch the games...and surprisingly i'd almost rather watch the box score then watch the train wreck...especially without Lebron. THT returning was A GODSEND.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Hield would come to LA and shoot the same as he had in the past and people would think he lost his shot once he joined the team. I’ve seen him stink up the joint several times when his teams have played the Lakers. I don’t know if it’s the Mychal Thompson hype or why he is rated so high around here.

I doubt people will think he'd be the Messiah here. Its just that it was a no brainer trade to make especially over the alternative of trading for Westbrook.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Hield would come to LA and shoot the same as he had in the past and people would think he lost his shot once he joined the team. I’ve seen him stink up the joint several times when his teams have played the Lakers. I don’t know if it’s the Mychal Thompson hype or why he is rated so high around here.

I doubt people will think he'd be the Messiah here. Its just that it was a no brainer trade to make especially over the alternative of trading for Westbrook.

it wasn't a no brainer to bron and AD
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Important point. I was, and remain, skeptical of the Westbrook trade — but I also figure that LeBron and AD must know what they are doing, and this had their fingerprints all over it. I remain open-minded to see how this team can do in the second half of the season nice once they (hopefully) recover from their injuries and get more used to playing together.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Halflife wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Important point. I was, and remain, skeptical of the Westbrook trade — but I also figure that LeBron and AD must know what they are doing, and this had their fingerprints all over it. I remain open-minded to see how this team can do in the second half of the season nice once they (hopefully) recover from their injuries and get more used to playing together.

Its not fingerprints. It was reported that pelinka presented option to them and they met with Russ and approved trade. There isn't a sport where the lead dogs are left out of certain player decisions except maybe Green bay and we saw how that went.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I was never enthusiastic about the Hield trade. I wasn't against it, per se, but I didn't see what was so great about it. It would have given us a reliable three point shooter, but it's not like Hield is some sort of transformative player. It struck me more as Pelinka-era roster churning than anything else.

Having said that, I really don't know why people keep assuming that players know what they're doing when it comes to GM decisions. How many times have we seen a famous player actually become a GM and then totally suck? Hello, Bill Russell. Hello, Isiah Thomas. I bet we could name some more if we thought about it.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
markjay wrote:
Halflife wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Its not fingerprints. It was reported that pelinka presented option to them and they met with Russ and approved trade. There isn't a sport where the lead dogs are left out of certain player decisions except maybe Green bay and we saw how that went.

IIRC, Bron & AD met with WB, then WB went to Wizards' FO and asked them to see if there was a way to get him to the Lakers, then the Wiz contacted Pelinka.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

I will add of the 13 games played this year, he had started 2.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Halflife wrote:
markjay wrote:
Halflife wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

IIRC, Bron & AD met with WB, then WB went to Wizards' FO and asked them to see if there was a way to get him to the Lakers, then the Wiz contacted Pelinka.

ahh. Either way, its easy to say Gm's GM and players play, but if bron and AD sold Russ hard to Rob it weighs a lot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: