Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Yankees Mariners game is very entertaining. 0-0 top of 12.

Castillo pitched a fantastic game against the Yankees again. This guy is insane.

How the heck did they get to the 13th. Amazing.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
Yankees Mariners game is very entertaining. 0-0 top of 12.

Castillo pitched a fantastic game against the Yankees again. This guy is insane.

How the heck did they get to the 13th. Amazing.

Yeah it was. Bad base running, strike outs, and double plays.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Drifts wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
I'm thinking Bellinger is back for reals. Seems like he found something that works for him.

If I'm right... he's flattened his swing, getting better % of hitting into the path of the ball

I hope you're wrong.

I'll explain why. If it's just a simple swing adjustment, then that would frustrate me more for all this time he's been struggling.

I'd feel less frustrated if it was just simply his shoulder becoming stronger and healthier. Same with Muncy.

Muncy hit a HR. I think he's back too!

Yeah Muncy is on fire lately. He's hitting 346 in his last 7 games.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject:

So we gonna keep Trea? I'm warming up to the idea.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

If he has another bad postseason where he looks jumpy again at the plate, I think most fans (certainly, the majority in this thread, anyway) will be OK with letting him go. But if he hits well, I think some of us are going to be like "f@*k it, so what if he eventually loses speed, pay him and keep this 1-2-3 in the batting order for the next few years!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

I hope so.. I thought he was the gem piece in that trade... always felt Max was gonna walk.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject:

Here's some 2023 FA options should Trea walk and/or Lux slides over to shortstop....

Quote:
SECOND BASEMEN

Adam Frazier (31 years old, 4.4 WAR)
Jean Segura (33, 4.4) -- Club option
César Hernández (33, 3.7)
Kolten Wong (32, 3.6) -- Club option
Josh Harrison (35, 2.4) -- Club option
Donovan Solano (35, 2.2)
Jonathan Villar (32, 1.4) -- Mutual option
Aledmys Díaz (32, 1.3)
Rougned Odor (29, 1.3)
Matt Duffy (32, 0.8)
José Peraza (29, 0.6)
Chris Owings (31, 0.5)

SHORTSTOPS

Carlos Correa (28, 7.5) -- Can opt out
Tim Anderson (30, 7.2) -- Club option
Xander Bogaerts (30, 6.0) -- Can opt out
Dansby Swanson (29, 5.7)
José Iglesias (33, 3.4)
Alcides Escobar (36, 1.5)
Elvis Andrus (34, 1.2) -- Club option
Andrelton Simmons (33, 1.2)
Marwin Gonzalez (34, 0.1)
Dee Strange-Gordon (35, 0.1)
Didi Gregorius (33, -0.1)

THIRD BASEMEN

Nolan Arenado (32, 4.9) -- Can opt out
Joey Wendle (33, 4.1) -- Mutual option
Wilmer Flores (31, 2.6)
Evan Longoria (37, 2.5) -- Club option
Jace Peterson (33, 1.3)
Ehire Adrianza (33, 0.8)
Charlie Culberson (34, 0.8)
Maikel Franco (30, 0.4)
Brandon Drury (30, -0.2)
Jake Lamb (32, -0.3)
Travis Shaw (33, -0.4)
Brock Holt (35, -0.8)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject:

^
I don't know if you are looking at the right WAR figures for certain players, or the right year, I think. Frazier is having a terrible year, with a .616 OPS and a 0.1 WAR on Baseball Reference and a 0.9 mark on Fangraphs. And some of the others I'm seeing just look off, too.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

If he has another bad postseason where he looks jumpy again at the plate, I think most fans (certainly, the majority in this thread, anyway) will be OK with letting him go. But if he hits well, I think some of us are going to be like "f@*k it, so what if he eventually loses speed, pay him and keep this 1-2-3 in the batting order for the next few years!

Plus, Trea and Soto seem close. Having Trea on the team would give us a jump on signing Soto.

But, can one team pay 5 players $30M+?

Freeman (I think Freeman's technically $27M)
Betts
Turner
Soto/Ohtani
Urias (yeah, Urias is a $30M player to me, no doubt)

I think we'd be over the luxury tax every single year with no chance to reset. This means repeater tax hell and losing draft compensation and other penalties every single year. I don't know if we want to operate that way.

But if it comes down to having to choose between Urias or Trea Turner, I think I'd go with Urias. He's younger, probably will command less years, and we definitely need pitching.

To me, it comes down to how many $30M+ players are we willing to have on the payroll at one time. I just think 4 is the max in order to stay under the luxury tax sometimes (for those reset years).

This means $120M to those 4 players and about $130M to the other 22 players (probably more due to injuries, retained salaries, depth, etc).
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:49 am    Post subject:

Dustin May could be back next week:

Quote:
Dustin May, who recently completed what might be his last rehab start for OKC after Tommy John surgery. He threw 68 pitches in five innings and allowed only three hits in that outing. May could be starting for the Dodgers as early as August 16, taking over Clayton Kershaw’s spot in the rotation while Kershaw deals with a back injury.

Graterol and Treinen beginning their rehab assignments this weekend.

Quote:
Brusdar Graterol and Blake Treinen are almost ready to return to the Dodgers, writes J.P. Hoornstra at the O.C. Register.

Both pitchers will be assigned to Triple-A Oklahoma City for rehab assignments this weekend.

Graterol has been out since mid-July with a sore shoulder and is expected to return by the end of August. Treinen, meanwhile, will be back from his own shoulder injury in early September.

“I feel great,” Graterol said. “I feel like I’m back again.”

https://www.truebluela.com/platform/amp/2022/8/10/23299645/graterol-treinen-may-injury-updates
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I don't know if you are looking at the right WAR figures for certain players, or the right year, I think. Frazier is having a terrible year, with a .616 OPS and a 0.1 WAR on Baseball Reference and a 0.9 mark on Fangraphs. And some of the others I'm seeing just look off, too.

Looks like last year’s numbers. Especially Correa and Frazier
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Clint Pasillas (FRG)
@realFRG
·
10h
The #Dodgers now have 121 wins in 161 regular season games with Trea Turner in the lineup since last year.

Pretty dang wild.

Yeah, I'm on board with signing him to a long term deal
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

The speed argument is a touch too much IMO. Elite speed guys generally maintain elite speed relative to their peers-- case in point, Ichiro and Rickey both lost a couple steps, but maintained elite speed relative to the MLB (Ichiro consistently placed in the top quartile even in his late 30's). And we know elite baserunning is more about elite baseball instinct/clock than speed per se.

It's really bat speed that goes.

That said, a low year high AAV deal is perfect. If Trea struggles/we lose, I think he's gone. But if he's good or we win, I don't see why he wouldn't want to run it back so long as the years/money make sense---he definitely has chemistry with the guys now.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
No trap game for us tonight. I'm impressed. Don't let Muncy get hot, folks! With Pepiot going tomorrow, I'll be happy if he pitches into the 5th and gives up 2 or less. Even 2 runs in 4 innings I'll take. Just keep us in the game and let the bats go to work.

Love his change up, I want to see Pepiot really shove today. He's why I don't mind losing White - same floor, far higher ceiling.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Clint Pasillas (FRG)
@realFRG
·
10h
The #Dodgers now have 121 wins in 161 regular season games with Trea Turner in the lineup since last year.

Pretty dang wild.

That's amazing.

About re-signing Trea Turner, one thing we do know is that the Dodgers have shown zero interest in re-signing him to an extension. They offered Seager an extension before his final year. They re-signed Mookie before the start of his final year. Trea Turner was practically begging for an extension offer. The Dodgers never gave him one.

Quote:
Both leading up to and since singing a one-year deal to avoid arbitration, Turner said he was open to discussing a contract extension with the Dodgers. However, the team never got to the point of making an offer to Turner before the 2022 regular season began, according to Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic:

Turner said Friday the Dodgers’ brass approached him in recent days to tell him no extension offer was coming before the season, all but securing he will hit free agency this winter — potentially as the top available shortstop.

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-no-contract-extension-offer-trea-turner-before-opening-day/2022/04/29/

The Dodgers might end up re-signing Trea Turner. But they haven't really acted like they want him.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

The Mets have a better record than the Yankees now. Dodgers and Mets have the 2 best records.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

The speed argument is a touch too much IMO. Elite speed guys generally maintain elite speed relative to their peers-- case in point, Ichiro and Rickey both lost a couple steps, but maintained elite speed relative to the MLB (Ichiro consistently placed in the top quartile even in his late 30's). And we know elite baserunning is more about elite baseball instinct/clock than speed per se.

It's really bat speed that goes.

That said, a low year high AAV deal is perfect. If Trea struggles/we lose, I think he's gone. But if he's good or we win, I don't see why he wouldn't want to run it back so long as the years/money make sense---he definitely has chemistry with the guys now.

I'm not worried about his speed as it relates to his baserunning or defense. Trea gets a lot of infield singles. I haven't looked it up, but he has to be at the top of hitters over the past 2 years in infield hits. When he makes weak contact and hits the ball on the ground, he's a tough out because of the blinding speed. Once you turn blinding speed into solid speed, I think most of those infield singles will become outs. I think that's important to consider when you currently have something like a .310 hitter who is going to be at or near the top of MLB in hits every year. Turn him into a .290 hitter, let's say, and that's still a very good player, but it's not like he has elite power or elite plate discipline.

But it's most certainly true that he's an elite player right now, there's absolutely no question about that, and most great players do start to decline after 33-ish. With most top free agents, you're paying the premium for their elite years and you just hope that the decline isn't too severe. I still think the odds are that he'll be wearing a different uniform next season, but it does seem like he does like playing here now and feels more comfortable. But I can't see him taking any sort of discount, and I'm not sure if Friedman will want to pay the full freight. We'll see.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dodger Stadium gondola project sparks gentrification and privacy concerns from nearby residents

A project backed by former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt to build a mile-long gondola system from Union Station to Dodger Stadium is now in the hands of the environmental nonprofit Climate Resolve.

Officials for Climate Resolve say they have formed a new subsidiary called Zero Emissions Transit that will accept ownership of McCourt's Los Angeles Aerial Rapid Transit project, which aims to build an emission-free gondola route capable of moving thousands of people each hour.

"We're hoping there will be about 50 of these that will whisk people up from Union Station to Dodger Stadium in about seven minutes," said Climate Resolve's executive director Jonathan Parfrey, referring to one of the gondola cabins that is now on display in the Dodger Stadium parking lot.

Climate Resolve said the gondola rides would be free for everyone who shows a current Dodger ticket and could carry about 5,000 people per hour, potentially keeping up to 3,000 vehicles out of the parking lot on game days.

But the gondola proposal has struck a nerve with some Chinatown residents who say it will lead to gentrification of their neighborhood and create privacy issues as thousands of people per hour pass over their homes.

"It would hurt our neighborhoods. It would put a gondola just 40 feet above my house," said Phyllis Ling. "It would be really difficult to live with this, that invasion of privacy."

Ling lives in Chinatown and is part of the group StopTheGondola.org. Its members say the gondola project is an impractical waste of money, when Metro already offers free bus service from Union Station to all Dodger home games.

"That's only 82 games a year. What about the rest of the year? Why do we need a gondola to do that?" said Richard Rojas, also a member of StopTheGondola.org.

https://abc7.com/dodger-stadium-gondola-project-gentrification-privacy-concerns/12113544/

Anyone know exactly what these gentrification concerns are or mean?

Does it mean fear of the neighborhood turning from predominantly Chinese to something else?

Is it the fear of more development which will drive up property values and make homes and apartments less affordable to the current residents?

Well, I found an explanation in an LA Times article:

Quote:
The proposal, first floated in 2018, has spurred anxieties in Chinatown, where the median income is $36,000 and some fear it will accelerate the gentrification that is causing the slow exodus of Asian residents, many of whom have lived there for generations.

The cable towers — about the height of a 14-story building — would go up aside new high-rises that are in the works, further changing the character of a historic ethnic enclave that has become a foodie and art hot spot.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-03-23/group-seeks-to-halt-dodger-gondola-calling-it-a-sweetheart-deal?_amp=true
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Clint Pasillas (FRG)
@realFRG
·
10h

Pretty dang wild.

He seems always to be on base… if he produces in the playoffs bring him back.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Dodger tax again

Quote:
On the Bleav in Dodgers podcast, Hoornstra reported an interaction of the trade demands the Nationals had for LA.

"According to my sources, it was a package of six or seven prospects," Hoornstra said. "The headliners were Diego Cartaya and Bobby Miller who are respectively the top position player and the top pitcher in the Dodgers' system."

A source who saw one version of the trade said Washington was after additional top-five Dodger prospects.

"So think about guys like Ryan Pepiot [No. 6 RHP], Gavin Stone [No. 7 RHP], Miguel Vargas [No. 5 IF], Andy Pages [No. 4 OF], Michael Busch [No. 3 IF]," Hoornstra said. "Maybe two or three out of that group plus another two or three wild card prospects — guys who are not as highly ranked as the aforementioned group, but guys the Nationals liked for one reason or another."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Muncy getting in front of that screaming one-hop liner saved a run in the top of the 5th, and then we got right back on the horse to tie it up. Relentless offense. I do question pulling Muncy when he's gotten hot lately, though, even with a lefty coming in to pitch. But Alberto did line into the third out.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject:

- This is why I didn't like the Mitch White trade. I just like him more than Pepiot right now.

- How much weight did David Price gain? Dude's looking chubby.

- Wow, Aug 23, first 35k get one of our 7 WS rings. Nice.

https://www.stadiumgiveawayexchange.com/august-23-2022-los-angeles-dodgers-mystery-world-series-rings/
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject:

CT3 got all of that one with the go ahead HR
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Trea “Ozzy” Turner
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Wow - Gallo with a 3-run shot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 241 of 434
Jump to: