Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

I guess Seager got tired of being in the playoffs EVERY* season . . .
. . . or maybe he he just tired of his mediocre performance in the post season.

*OK, better stated, of being on a team that made the playoffs every season Seager was a Dodger.

(And OK, yeah, I'm a bit bitter)
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
With as much as Seager wanted or could get, I understand the Dodgers not putting up that kind of dough, given his injury history. Also Trea Turner is a much fit at SS. Also since JT plays third you have Lux at second and Muncy at first, so that does seem less complicated.

Losing Scherzer hurts more though I think, we have Bauer, who knows if he gets to pitch again, Kershaw is out there, but we are not going to want to break the bank for him either.

After years as being major offseason buyers, this may be a year where there is smaller mid-sized deals, and with the lockout starting in a matter of hours, the team may have decided to wait it out till the disputes are settled.

Scherzer leaving really bothers me. Despite his age he is still at the top of his game and is always so consistent.

If the league adds more playoff teams we might be able to lose the entire rotation and still make the playoffs (of course that’s not the way I want to do it).
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

He wanted the max cash. Dodgers couldn't compete. He also plays in Texas in which less of his income is taxed. Dodgers would've had to pay him around 40 million a year just to have the same deal monetary wise.

I was just about to mention the taxes issue too. Reminds me of when Dwight Howard left LA for Texas.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He wanted the max cash. Dodgers couldn't compete. He also plays in Texas in which less of his income is taxed. Dodgers would've had to pay him around 40 million a year just to have the same deal monetary wise.

I was just about to mention the taxes issue too. Reminds me of when Dwight Howard left LA for Texas.

Yeah I mean his net worth and how far his dollar goes literally doubled with this deal. I do the same if I’m him and I have no idea what it’s like to have millions of dollars but even if I had a few hundred..passing up on another 75million guaranteed would be impossible for me. You can set up an entire generation.

Also an extra 75mill in Texas over California? That’s worth like what? 200million? LOL.

On another note, Gausman needs to give at least half his paycheque to Zaidi. Talk about resurrection.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject:

This is a VERY reasonable ask from Freeman.

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m
Word is Freeman had been seeking about $180M for 6 years. Seems reasonable to me. If that’s it, Braves should just pay him.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m
Word is Freeman had been seeking about $180M for 6 years. Seems reasonable to me. If that’s it, Braves should just pay him.

1B can play into their late 30s, i want Dodgers to out bid them, 6 year 200M
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

And we'll likely have the NL DH, too. Despite his odd strikeout binge in the first couple of games of the NLCS against us, this dude is a great pure hitter. The type of guy you want in your lineup against tough postseason pitching. He has a .916 OPS in his career in 42 postseason games, by the way. Seager's is .777 in 61 career postseason games, if anyone was wondering.

I really would be all for this. Muncy's metrics are solid at second base, also. Could free us up to deal Lux as part of a deal for a young starter. Still don't think it happens, but I'm a big Freeman fan.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

Seriously get Freeman and I will forget all about Seager. Freeman is the superior hitter anyway
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

Seriously get Freeman and I will forget all about Seager. Freeman is the superior hitter anyway

And he's only missed 7 games over the last 4 seasons.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

Signing Freeman would be at the cost of losing: Turner, Bellinger, and/or Muncy,

I don't know who, and I don't know how many, but we can't keep them all.

What's the most $30M+ position players a single team can have on their roster? I'm guessing 3

If we sign Freeman, we'd have 2 in: Betts and Freeman. That leaves room for 1 more, possibly 2.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

Signing Freeman would be at the cost of losing: Turner, Bellinger, and/or Muncy,

What's the most $30M+ position players a single team can have on their roster? I'm guessing 3

If we sign Freeman, we'd have 2 in: Betts and Freeman. That leaves room for 1 more, possibly 2.

which Turner you talking about? Tre or JT? to be honest, i don't mind losing either. Tre: as clutch as my grandma, JT: old as my grandma.

Muncy: uncertainties around his injury, he may never be the same

Belly: it's all in his head now, who knows when he'll snap out of it

so like i was saying, bring on Freeman, i don't care if we lose all of the aforementioned players
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

Freeman reminds me of the Braves first baseman from years past: Fred McGriff. If he has the longevity of McGriff, that 6 year deal will be well worth it. Plus, he is a little better than McGriff.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

Freeman reminds me of the Braves first baseman from years past: Fred McGriff. If he has the longevity of McGriff, that 6 year deal will be well worth it. Plus, he is a little better than McGriff.

What is the cost though. Let's say we have a choice to sign Freeman or re-sign Turner.

So, it's a choice between:

SS: Turner
2B: Lux
1B: Muncy

or

SS: Lux
2B: Muncy
1B: Freeman

We also have to ask ourselves, which is the better defensive alignment?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

What is the cost though. Let's say we have a choice to sign Freeman or re-sign Turner.

So, it's a choice between:

SS: Turner
2B: Lux
1B: Muncy

or

SS: Lux
2B: Muncy
1B: Freeman

We also have to ask ourselves, which is the better defensive alignment?

think bigger, we're the Dodgers, the team breaks attendance record each year and perennial WS contender. i want to see:

SS: Correa
2B: Muncy/Lux
1B: Freeman/Muncy
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

^
We could also re-sign Chris Taylor. That would give us a 2B option in the event that a Lux trade presents itself, or if Muncy needs to miss significant time and/or be the DH so he doesn't have to throw the ball.

Personally, I think Freeman is a Hall Of Fame hitter who would greatly stabilize any lineup. Muncy is still signed through 2023, I believe. Sign Freeman, extend Trea, and re-sign Taylor. Move Lux in a deal for a pitcher like Castillo or, if we're really aiming high, Bieber. As for Bellinger, yes, he would not be likely to get a long-term deal from us if we signed Freeman and if we extended Trea. But he's still under team control through 2023. If he has another poor year, we could make other plans for CF in 2023 and either trade him or simply non-tender him. And if he has a monster year, well, you either just play it out in 2023 or you deal him high in the offseason.

My lineup against righties:

Betts
Trea Turner
Freeman
Smith
Muncy
Justin Turner
Taylor
Bellinger
Pollock
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tim Marchman
@timmarchman

MLB used two different balls this year without telling clubs or players, per @BWDBWDBWD. Hugely (bleep) up, and a massive labor issue just as baseball is about to go to labor war:
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
5m

I'm in!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
With as much as Seager wanted or could get, I understand the Dodgers not putting up that kind of dough, given his injury history. Also Trea Turner is a much fit at SS. Also since JT plays third you have Lux at second and Muncy at first, so that does seem less complicated.

Losing Scherzer hurts more though I think, we have Bauer, who knows if he gets to pitch again, Kershaw is out there, but we are not going to want to break the bank for him either.

After years as being major offseason buyers, this may be a year where there is smaller mid-sized deals, and with the lockout starting in a matter of hours, the team may have decided to wait it out till the disputes are settled.

Scherzer leaving really bothers me. Despite his age he is still at the top of his game and is always so consistent.

If the league adds more playoff teams we might be able to lose the entire rotation and still make the playoffs (of course that’s not the way I want to do it).

the gamble here is that the Mets might be paying 130mil for 1 year worth of Cy Young caliber pitching. Then Max falls off the cliff?

We've seen what happened last postseason, Max couldn't go further after the 2 postseason starts. Maybe the Mets manage him and limit his starts? Not sure that's worth 43million.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I am going to miss Seager but I understand they can't just give away outrageous contracts like candy.

Great hitter and can carry a team when hot, but that is a boatload of money.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Sigh, it's the eve of the deadline and no moves only significant losses, at least the Giants lost their best pitcher and hitter this offseason but still....
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

the gamble here is that the Mets might be paying 130mil for 1 year worth of Cy Young caliber pitching. Then Max falls off the cliff?

We've seen what happened last postseason, Max couldn't go further after the 2 postseason starts. Maybe the Mets manage him and limit his starts? Not sure that's worth 43million.

And that would just be typical Mets. Even though this is only a 3-year deal, Max's age is certainly a concern for his ability to keep playing at an elite level over a full season and playoffs.

In retrospect, how often do any of these mega 200-300+ deals over 8-10 years ever become "worth" it? A lot of these are recent and still too early to judge, but even in the prior era like Kevin Brown signing with the Dodgers, etc. we rarely see the big FA signings "pay off" the way they were hoped to.

Largest FA contracts:
1) Bryce Harper, Phillies: 13 years, $330 million (2019-31) ----- so far so good with MVP season in '21, but still a long way to go
2) Corey Seager, Rangers: 10 years, $325 million (2022-31)----- Let's wait and see...
3) Gerrit Cole, Yankees: 9 years, $324 million (2020-28) ----- Time will tell...
4) Manny Machado, Padres: 10 years, $300 million (2019-28) ----- Good start thus far, but still several years left
5) Alex Rodriguez, Yankees: 10 years, $275 million (2008-17) ----- Sure, they won a WS, but he also got suspended for steroids
6) Alex Rodriguez, Rangers: 10 years, $252 million (2001-10) ----- The "first" mega deal. Not completely awful, but the Rangers didn't do anything with him so they shipped him to NY
7t) Anthony Rendon, Angels: 7 years, $245 million (2020-26) ----- Angels. Enough said.
7t) Stephen Strasburg, Nationals: 7 years, $245 million (2020-26) ---- Injuries piling up after signing this deal
9t) Albert Pujols, Angels: 10 years, $240 million (2012-21) ----- Angels. Enough said.
9t) Robinson Canó, Mariners: 10 years, $240 million (2014-23) ----- Mariners did not get the player they thought they were getting. Shipped him off 5 years in

Largest Contract Extensions:
1) Mookie Betts, Dodgers -- 12 years, $365 million ----- bit by the injury bug this year. Let's hope he bounces back.
2) Mike Trout, Angels -- 10 years, $360 million ----- certainly "worth" everything when he plays, but he's been very injury-riddled in recent years.
3) Francisco Lindor, Mets -- 10 years, $341 million
4) Fernando Tatis Jr., Padres -- 14 years, $340 million ----- is the shoulder injury going to be an issue going forward?
5) Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins -- 13 years, $325 million ----- injuries and hasn't played at the same level that earned him this contract
6) Miguel Cabrera, Tigers -- 8 years, $248 million ----- injuries completely took him over, basically hasn't been the same player since signing this deal
7) Nolan Arenado, Rockies -- 7 years, $235 million (One year, $15 million later added onto deal)
8) Joey Votto, Reds -- 10 years, $225 million ----- had some good and productive years, but lots of ups and downs
9) Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers -- 7 years, $215 million ----- some solid years, but injuries have piled on hasn't really delivered relative to the $
10) Derek Jeter, Yankees -- 10 years, $189 million ----- seems to be one of the few to actually deliver on through the entire length of the contract
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Just like our history is based off pitching, the guys that have manned first base for us have been the consistent even-keeled steady run producers year in year out starting from Dolph Camili to Gil Hodges to Steve Garvey to Eric Karros to Adrian Gonzalez and now it will be Freddie Freeman - the best pure consistent hitter on the Dodgers since all the way back to Gary Sheffield - Manny Ramirez wasnt with us long enough. Kemp's prime was too short and Hanley/Bellinger had one amazing year.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Just like our history is based off pitching, the guys that have manned first base for us have been the consistent even-keeled steady run producers year in year out starting from Dolph Camili to Gil Hodges to Steve Garvey to Eric Karros to Adrian Gonzalez and now it will be Freddie Freeman - the best pure consistent hitter on the Dodgers since all the way back to Gary Sheffield - Manny Ramirez wasnt with us long enough. Kemp's prime was too short and Hanley/Bellinger had one amazing year.

Agree with every single point you brought up.

Is there even smoke with regards to the Dodgers and Freeman? His bat has been consistent throughout his career and we need more of that on the team.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Agree with every single point you brought up.

Is there even smoke with regards to the Dodgers and Freeman? His bat has been consistent throughout his career and we need more of that on the team.

This one seems legit:

https://twitter.com/Ralph_MasonJr/status/1465855417473384448

Plus we know how Friedman tends to operate - Stealth
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Couldn't close the deal in time with Freddie now we have to kick back and wait for this labor disruption to pass.

Mookie, rf
Trea, ss
Freeman, 1b
Muncy, 2b
JT, DH
Smith, c
Pollock/Lux, lf
Bellinger, cf
Rios, 3b
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 6 of 434
Jump to: