Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Judging by the Seag. deal, I wonder if Correa is getting $400.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Meh, Dodgers sign reliever Daniel Hudson.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

The Seager deal is just insane. That many years for a guy with that injury history is just crazy. I don't care that he's 27. The greatest indicator of future injuries are past injuries. Now add in that he's bascially already a poor SS and will probably have to move off that very soon? It's just insanity. I consider him not getting even the 8-year deal from us a bullet dodged.

Freeman would be incredible, as he's one of the best pure hitters in the game, but I siimply can't see him leaving the Braves, unless we just offered way more money. And hey, maybe that happens, since it's not like it would require 8 years or anything like that to get Freeman. But if the offers are comparable, I assume he returns to Atlanta, and despite all of their young talent, he's the face of their franchise. I just can't see him getting away, but stranger things have happened.

The Dodgers clearly like Hudson, as they've had him in the recent past. He might be stepping right into that Joe Kelly role, at least in terms of salary slot.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

Dodgers making big moves.
Well the bill for the championship was due, not surprised by guys leaving this team for much bigger deals.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Well the bill for the championship was due, not surprised by guys leaving this team for much bigger deals.

Don't sleep on these small moves. Our bullpen was fantastic last year and almost carried us to the WS. It was our starting pitching and offense that let us down.

Fortifying our bullpen can pay off in the end.

Who do we have so far?

Returning
1) Bickford
2) Bruihl
3) Cleavinger
4) Graterol
5) Evan Phillips
6) Treinen
7) Vesia
8) Price
9) Victor Gonzalez

New additions
10) Daniel Hudson

Coming off injury
11) Ferguson
12) Kanhle

Players might not be coming back
13) Jansen
14) Knebel
15) Joe Kelly

Quote:
Dustin Nosler
@DustinNosler

FWIW, I like the Daniel Hudson signing. Thought they might target him at the deadline last season. Probably means no Corey Knebel. Will be interested to see his market unfold post-lockout.

Quote:
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal

Phillies expressing serious interest in free-agent reliever Corey Knebel, sources tell me and @Jaysonst
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

I'm happy we didn't give Scherzer or Seager the deals they ended up getting. We will make moves. It's not like we're going to just drastically cut payroll. With Muncy's injury, it really does make sense that we could go after a first baseman, honestly. Say we got Freeman, you put him at first base and if Muncy comes back healthy, you can slot him in at second base, or, if we keep Lux and he's doing well, we will likely have the DH available for Muncy.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers signing Freeman will be huge, but I doubt a life long Brave leaving the team after winning the WS. Especially with a stacked Braves team return in 2022.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Dodgers signing Freeman will be huge, but I doubt a life long Brave leaving the team after winning the WS. Especially with a stacked Braves team return in 2022.

Yeah, as I said, I agree with this line of thought. Only way we could get him is to offer significantly more money, similar to what the Mets did to get Scherzer. And that doesn't seem like the Dodgers' style. They'll pay top dollar, but they won't get silly with it and overbid massively. You'd have to think that the Braves won't get stingy with Freeman and will pay him top dollar.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yeah, as I said, I agree with this line of thought. Only way we could get him is to offer significantly more money, similar to what the Mets did to get Scherzer. And that doesn't seem like the Dodgers' style. They'll pay top dollar, but they won't get silly with it and overbid massively. You'd have to think that the Braves won't get stingy with Freeman and will pay him top dollar.

Yeah, I think the opposite. I think it's the Dodgers' style to massively overpay on short term deals.

Look at what they offered Bryce Harper and them winning the Bauer bid. They also offered Gerrit Cole more AAV at 8 years $300M.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Harder for us to pay Scherzer after we just threw $8 million at a scrub like Heaney. That’s one reason I don’t understand that move. I hope they know something that I don’t (and that the Angels and Yankees don’t know either).

Ryu looks cheap now after signing 4 years and for $80 million in Toronto.

Where is our pitching going to come from? Urias and Buehler struggled on short rest and we’re going to have to push them. It’s not like we can go get another Scherzer.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I didn’t want to lose Seager but a ten year deal for a guy that hasn’t hit 20 home runs in a season since 2017, never had 90 RBI’s and has played 100 games in only one of the last three 162 game seasons is insane.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yeah, I think the opposite. I think it's the Dodgers' style to massively overpay on short term deals.

Look at what they offered Bryce Harper and them winning the Bauer bid. They also offered Gerrit Cole more AAV at 8 years $300M.

Yes, they are willing to give large AAV's, but not for massive years. I'm sure the Dodgers would have paid Scherzer $43MM for one year, for example, but obviously not for three. The Bauer deal was short-term. You're not going to get Freeman for, say, 3 years; at 32, and with the DH likely coming to the NL, he can reasonably expect to get 6 years on the open market. So assuming the Braves don't lowball him, the only way the Dodgers could really get him, in my view, would be to drastically overpay, and on long-term deals, that isn't their style. But hey, maybe they'll see him as a Hall Of Famer worth doing that for. I highly doubt it, though.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Assuming he's healthy and continues to be even 80% of what he did this season, what's Ohtani going to command? These #'s are staggering.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Assuming he's healthy and continues to be even 80% of what he did this season, what's Ohtani going to command? These #'s are staggering.

I was just talking with my buddy about this. If he actually reaches free agency where all teams can bid on him, he'd be a 29-year-old free agent after the 2023 season, and would turn 30 in July of the 2024 season. I think it would be reasonable for him to be worth an AAV of $45-50MM on the open market through his age 36 season, given that teams are willing to pay top dollar to the top pitching aces through that age, typically. Obviously, with him being an elite two-way guy, he'd shatter the AAV record through age 36, I'd imagine. If he were to get more years that take him through further seasons, then perhaps the AAV would drop towards the end which would drop the overall AAV, but yeah, I think you could reasonably be looking at something like 8 years and $350-400MM. And he'd be worth it for the global marketing alone. As much importance as Trout had for the Angels, Ohtani is a far, far greater draw.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Jon Morosi
@jonmorosi
·
6m
Sources: Free agent Chris Taylor is drawing broad interest and could sign by Wednesday. Dodgers would like to retain him. Blue Jays, Mariners, Angels, and Nationals also have been involved over the past week.
@MLB

@MLBNetwork
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

With as much as Seager wanted or could get, I understand the Dodgers not putting up that kind of dough, given his injury history. Also Trea Turner is a much fit at SS. Also since JT plays third you have Lux at second and Muncy at first, so that does seem less complicated.

Losing Scherzer hurts more though I think, we have Bauer, who knows if he gets to pitch again, Kershaw is out there, but we are not going to want to break the bank for him either.

After years as being major offseason buyers, this may be a year where there is smaller mid-sized deals, and with the lockout starting in a matter of hours, the team may have decided to wait it out till the disputes are settled.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Taylor coming back would open up other possibilities. For example, it could free up a trade of Lux for a younger pitcher under team control for multiple seasons. If Taylor signs elsewhere, you have a hole at 2nd base, particularly if another first baseman isn't signed and/or if Muncy is slow to recover from his UCL injury. Or with his ability to play the outfield, it could allow for a trade of Pollock or even Bellinger, though I would be really surprised if he's dealt. We certainly have some money to burn now, but if Taylor's price tag exceeds $20MM a year, you have to wonder if the Dodgers will balk at that.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yes, they are willing to give large AAV's, but not for massive years. I'm sure the Dodgers would have paid Scherzer $43MM for one year, for example, but obviously not for three. The Bauer deal was short-term. You're not going to get Freeman for, say, 3 years; at 32, and with the DH likely coming to the NL, he can reasonably expect to get 6 years on the open market. So assuming the Braves don't lowball him, the only way the Dodgers could really get him, in my view, would be to drastically overpay, and on long-term deals, that isn't their style. But hey, maybe they'll see him as a Hall Of Famer worth doing that for. I highly doubt it, though.

Yeah, they don't break the bank for long term deals. They do for short term deals and so far, not many players have taken the bait.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

I have a feeling that Mitch White and/or Jax will play a prominent role in our rotation next year, and to be fair, I think they can do alright.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yeah, they don't break the bank for long term deals. They do for short term deals and so far, not many players have taken the bait.

why is the Dodgers operating like the Buss family, always hedging on money saving while owning the most profit franchise in their respective sports. i understand why Buss family does it because they're not as rich as the other pro sport team owners, but why Dodgers acting the same way every off season. other than trades, we have not sign a big name free agents outright as far as i can remember. small market mentality of Andrew Friedman maybe? someone has to remind him that he has a blank check from Guggenheim.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
why is the Dodgers operating like the Buss family, always hedging on money saving while owning the most profit franchise in their respective sports. i understand why Buss family does it because they're not as rich as the other pro sport team owners, but why Dodgers acting the same way every off season. other than trades, we have not sign a big name free agents outright as far as i can remember. small market mentality of Andrew Friedman maybe? someone has to remind him that he has a blank check from Guggenheim.

The luxury tax penalties are quite severe for repeat offenders. For instance, if we sign any QO-free agents this year (other than our own), we lose our 2nd and 5th picks as well as $1M in international bonus pool money.

We always have to restock our farm with draft picks and international signings.

Right now, according to spotrac, we're already at $200M in payroll. We might be trying to get under the luxury tax this year to reset our CBT then we'll spend again next year. Just a guess.

Looking at our payroll, our biggest wastes (against the CBT) are:

1) Bauer - $34M
2) Price - $15M

That's $49M right there wasted.

Then you add in:

3) Betts - $30.4M
4) Justin Turner - $17M
5) Trea Turner - $18.5M (arbitration estimate)
6) Bellinger - $16.5M (arbitration estimate)
7) Pollock - $12M
8) Heaney - $8.5M
9) Treinen - $8.7M
10) Muncy - $8.7M
11) Urias - $7.2M (arbitration estimate)
12) Hudson - $7M

Add them all up and these 12 already cost us $183.5M. The CBT is set at $210M. That leaves us $26.5M for the other 28 players (on the 40 man roster).

Plus, we need to leave some room for trade deadline acquisitions.

What's really hurting us is that the CBT hasn't gone up in the last 4 years:

2019 - $206M
2020 - $208M
2021 - $210M
2022 - ????

And MLB wants to lower it even more (to $180M):

Quote:
MLB proposed lowering the first luxury tax threshold to $180 million

MLB’s proposal included a lower threshold for taxes on team spending, with teams subject to a 25% tax on any spending above $180MM, report Drellich and Rosenthal. There would be three additional tax brackets at some point above that mark (for a total of four tax brackets), with the tax rate increasing as teams hit those higher overage levels. As a trade-off, MLB proposed that teams be subject to a $100MM salary minimum.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/mlb-reportedly-proposes-180mm-first-luxury-tax-threshold-100mm-salary-floor-to-mlbpa.html

Let's hope the MLBPA wins on this topic for the next CBA:

Quote:
Given that the luxury tax has served as a de facto salary cap for some of the league’s top spenders, it doesn’t seem likely the MLBPA will be particularly enamored with the idea of lowering that first threshold such a substantial amount. Indeed, it’s widely expected the MLBPA will be pushing for a dramatic increase to those thresholds during the current session of CBA talks. MLB also offered the union an option to leave the luxury tax status quo, report Drellich and Rosenthal, although it’s not clear what other conditions would be involved in that scenario.

Yeah, there's just no way we can compete in a world where the luxury tax starts at $180M. I think this is why all Boras clients were pushing to sign their deals before this next CBA. They know that if the CBT gets lowered to $180M, the $300M contracts will be going away.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Detroit Tigers have agreed to a six-year, $140 million deal with free-agent shortstop Javier Baez, a source told ESPN's Buster Olney on Tuesday.

wow

Quote:
Dodgers: Corey Seager Reportedly Turned Down Massive Contract Extension Last Spring

In the wake of Seager’s signing with Texas, AM570’s David Vassegh revealed a bit of inside information he had been holding on to for quite some time. It seems that Seager turned down an eight year, $250 million contract extension from the Dodgers before the 2021 season began.

“The Dodgers were pursuing Seager all the back to Spring Training. Corey Seager turned down an eight year, $250M extension in spring training.”

----------------------------------------

It's interesting to look back at who we've had at SS over the last 15+ years:

2006 - 2011 - Rafael Furcal
2012 - 2014 - Hanley Ramirez
2015 - 2021 - Corey Seager
2018 - 2018 - Manny Machado
2022 - 2022 - Trea Turner
2023 - ????? - Gavin Lux?

That's quite alot of star power.

Interesting note: we only paid market price for 1 of them, that's Rafael Furcal. We got Hanley Ramirez who was still on an affordable contract that he signed with the Marlins. The rest were all pre-free agency.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
The Detroit Tigers have agreed to a six-year, $140 million deal with free-agent shortstop Javier Baez, a source told ESPN's Buster Olney on Tuesday.

wow

Quote:
Dodgers: Corey Seager Reportedly Turned Down Massive Contract Extension Last Spring

In the wake of Seager’s signing with Texas, AM570’s David Vassegh revealed a bit of inside information he had been holding on to for quite some time. It seems that Seager turned down an eight year, $250 million contract extension from the Dodgers before the 2021 season began.

“The Dodgers were pursuing Seager all the back to Spring Training. Corey Seager turned down an eight year, $250M extension in spring training.”

Eff Corey then!

Also missing out on Baez is a pretty big blow as well, would've made a great replacement. Don't want any part of Correa but that's all that's left in free agency.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

wow

Quote:

Eff Corey then!

Also missing out on Baez is a pretty big blow as well, would've made a great replacement. Don't want any part of Correa but that's all that's left in free agency.

He wanted the max cash. Dodgers couldn't compete. He also plays in Texas in which less of his income is taxed. Dodgers would've had to pay him around 40 million a year just to have the same deal monetary wise.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

please get Correa and/or Freeman. Dodger lineup needs a retool badly. JT, Pollard need to go, Belly is a crap shoot heading into next season, and with the latest injury status of Muncy, Dodgers need add big bats to their lineup.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 5 of 434
Jump to: