CAVS -at- LAKERS - 10/29 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: CAVS -at- LAKERS - 10/29 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Some Defense Finally?... The Lakers gave the fans plenty to groan about out of the gates tonight with 10 turnovers while giving up 7 offensive boards in the first quarter. They fell back 28-21 giving up a 13-0 run to end the quarter.

They’d finish the half with the score tied up after zeroing in on some defensively lineups. Still, they’d have 15 turnovers in the half, a season high.

Defensively (especially in the playoffs), you are only as strong as your weakest link. The Lakers have several links right now that are easily broken on any defensive stand with some of these units. That’s why even poor teams can light up L.A. on any given night.

They got some good spark from Bradley and Reaves off the bench. The stars and scorers will get the spotlight but you need hustlers and fighters on that defensive end.

To close this game, the Lakers held the Cavs to just 16 points in the fourth quarter.

“We had some great rim collisions in the fourth quarter...finally,” Vogel said of his team’s D. The Lakers took the 113-101 win.

LeBron -- -- Good to have him back. He had 15 points on 5-10 shooting, getting downhill and to the rim with some frequency in that first half. Westbrook also found him trailing the break a couple of times for easy scores. Whenever they had Markkanen on him, just attack that. He can’t always do that with poor spacing lineups. It’s an even bigger problem when they start to go under the screens and LeBron’s shot isn’t falling as we saw for most of the night. LeBron would go 1-10, hitting a logo-range three as his only make when the shotclock was running down. The fact that he struggled with his perimeter shot, but was still able to score 26 shows that they’ve made progress in the offense. He was a beast in transition, but also some really nice drives both left and right that showed explosiveness that wasn’t there at the end of last season with that ankle recovery. No ankle issues in this one. The Stats: He scored 26 points on 10-22 shooting (1-10 from three, 5-5 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 8 assists, 3 steals, 1 block, 7 turnovers and 1 foul in 38 minutes. He was a +9.

Davis -- -- Some foul trouble in the first half limited his time to just 13 minutes, scoring 6 points. He had some nice paint scores early on. We also saw a rare attack from the corner to lob to DJ. Some work in the two-man game with his playmakers. One led to a lob from Russ. The other he’d score a layup on the two-man game with LeBron. (LeBron would get a layup off that as they ran it a second time). Pretty quiet night offensively. Defensively, he had three blocks including a nice one on Markkanen in a transition situation right at the rim. The Stats: He scored 15 points on 7-14 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 9 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 31 minutes. He was a +11.

Westbrook -- -- Against the smaller guards, he got a few more post possessions, which are trouble for opponents if he has a little room in the paint to use his speed and power to get around the defender. The hoop IQ stuff kills me. Today, there was at least a much better effort to cut down on the early offense chucks. That was great. I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but we were better for it. Those were essentially like turnovers in the last game. So it’s not just about getting more shots (which lowering turnovers will do), but also getting more good shots. Also, here’s an idea, maybe have an idea what you want to do before you jump in the air. At least have, like, one option in mind. Defensively, he was also part of the problem early on. I saw him trot over to Rubio, no hustle and let him take and hit an easy, open jumper. On the good side, he had some great sequences in transition with LeBron trailing the break for some scores. We also had that weakside attack off a SLOB that we’ve seen run a few times. He hit AD for a lob off that. On the D: “We know what we can do when we’re locked in,” he said, mentioning they are moving in the right direction. The Stats: He scored 19 points on 8-13 shooting (1-1 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 5 assists, 4 turnovers and 2 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +4.

Bazemore -- -- He was a +11 in the first half. Just very active on defense whether that’s active hands poking balls loose or challenging shots. He stole a ball and took it for a score. He got a stop against a big he was amped about. He poked a ball loose from his man to force a turnover. He challenged a shot in transition from behind to get a stop. In the second half, he had a great rotation to recover under the hoop to deflect a pass. He’d finish with 3 steals. Again, he’s not going to give you a lot of big scoring games. I know a lot of fans get upset with him not being a big scorer or dead eye shooter (they were mad at KCP 90% of the season because of that). But we don’t need that as much as we need disruptive D, challenges, hustle. We need all those other things around our stars and we have far too few players healthy at the moment to do that. That’s where guys like he, Reaves and Bradley can be stars. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-7 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 3 steals and 2 fouls in 28 minutes. He was a +9.

Jordan -- -- Not a lot great to say about his game, but we’ll find some stuff. AD teamed up to lob to him early. He also tipped in a miss for his other score. He was good on the offensive boards. His one block was on a guard shooting a pull up in the middle of the paint after he helped run him off the three line earlier. It just feels like an anchor strapped to our legs on D instead of an anchor in the paint you can rely on. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-3 shooting to go with 7 boards (4 offensive), 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block and 1 foul in 15 minutes. He was a -5.

Howard -- -- Long run in the second quarter as AD had some foul trouble and we were transitioning into some better defensive lineups. Offensively, it’s hard to get space or run two-man for LeBron when LBJ can’t hit from the perimeter and the D goes under Dwight’s screens while staying in drop coverage. It just wasn’t working. LeBron did better when we were able to get some switches later and he could back things out, spread the floor and go. Up and down defensive game for Dwight. Some poor defense early, giving up a three being too far back, then getting caught in no-man’s land on a high screen to give up another score. Just not decisive early on. When we can get him aggressive and in that chaos mode, then we’re better off. I think he had a double team with Bradley that forced a turnover doing just that. With the game all but over in the final minute, Dwight stepped into and nailed a three straight away. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-4 shooting (1-1 from three) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was +2.

Monk -- -- His 5 minutes were so awful, it’s hard to not dwell on it. We just can’t have that many bad defenders on the floor. We get destroyed. Vogel called a timeout after Monk got sealed/backdoored on one defensive stand. He fumbled a pass out of bounds taking his eye off it. He fired a pass on the screen-roll that nearly took AD’s head off. He had Reaves wide open in front of him and threw it away trying to make a harder pass elsewhere. I guess they called that fumble out of bounds as a turnover on someone else. Vogel recognized that Monk’s head seemed to be elsewhere and sat him down for the rest of the game. Good. You open the door with a total crap shift like this and guys like Reaves and Bradley will push you down the rotation. The Stats: He didn’t shoot or score, had 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 5 minutes. He was a -11.

Anthony -- -- Seems to be getting comfortable shooting in Staples, eh? Could just be playing with LBJ again. He went 6-8 from three and sank a couple dagger threes closing this one out. Guys were finding him. Love getting 24 off the bench. The defense, however, from some of our one-way players is just atrocious at times. We did a better job putting more defenders around Melo. He also has to get better. I get that teams can pick on you in iso and you may not be able to hang with them. But there’s no excuse for being lazy on team D. Tag the damn roll man. Don’t stand and watch that stuff. Kills me sometimes. The Stats: He scored 24 points on 9-12 shooting (6-8 from three) to go with 5 boards, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +10.

Reaves -- -- Team was pumped after Reaves tied up a big on a switch on the screen-roll coverage. Just the fight in him after making the right read. How can you not love that? The Lakers severely lack that kind of fight with consistency. He had also tied up Rubio on a drive earlier in the game on a switch. Who gets multiple tie ups in a game? Part of that is that he tries to get to the ball down low when guys are attacking versus trying to challenge up high. The other part is he either stays in front of his man or is reaching on passes and recovery situations to be disruptive. Not enough guys being disruptive on D. Offensively, he rejected a screen on the wing, attacked and scored an And-1 over the help defender. We had him take and make a tech FT. He attacked a close out, got middle and hit Melow for a three. He zipped an unexpected bullet feed to a teammate under the hoop for a score. He swished a corner three on a kickout that led to a swing pass. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 2-4 shooting (1-2 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +1.

Bradley -- -- I couldn’t wait for him to get into the game. The team D settled down in the first half as we rotated in defenders. Vogel noticed and gave Bradley some long run in that second quarter. In 10 minutes, he was a +10. Get defenders around our stars and get some stops. He extended Bradley’s run in the second half. In 13 minutes in that half he was a +20. You just need defensive energy and guys not getting broken easily around our bigs. We miss that with KCP and AC. The only role players on the active roster right now that can give the team some of that are Bradley, Bazemore and Reaves. All of them saw 20+ minutes tonight. Offensively, he doesn’t need to do much. But he sank his only three, and he had a putback follow jam on a missed Russ drive. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-5 shooting (1-1 from three) to go with 3 boards and 3 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +30.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: “I like the direction we’re going,” Vogel said. The key moment tonight? Not so much a moment as a stretch of ball -- the entire fourth quarter. We gave up just 16 points. Quarters like that just haven’t been a thing for this team. LeBron said all the film they watched from the last game really helped them take a step forward on D.

Key Substitution: Bringing Bradley in. Anytime he came into this game, the defense started to tighten up and the Lakers got on track. No Rondo tonight. With LeBron back we got some better defense replacing Rondo’s time out there with the second unit. No Monk after his first horrible shift.

Key Stats: They had 15 turnovers in the first half, cleaned that up to just 5 in the second half. That makes a lot of difference for your D. Outside of LeBron, they shot 11-17 from three tonight.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

1st! Thx, DB!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Reaves may stay in the rotation when everyone is healthy.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Lakers had lost 4 consecutive quarters dating back to last game, so was good to see them get their act together in this game. Hopefully we dont have the 1 step forward, 2 steps back scenario.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject:

DBs been asking what's the 5 man lineup that is 2-way, that you can close and or play for longer stretches as they give you D. I think we have found 2 lineups.

Howard/AD
AD/Bron
Bron/Baze
Baze/Reaves
Bradley/Reaves

We had some combination of those lineups, and for the first time this season, we looked competent on D. This is our identity as a basketball team. But to play this way, we have to completely abort those Rondo, Monk, Melo lineups.

Westbrook has potential 2-way. He did better yesterday. But it was those Reaves, Bradley, Bazemore lineups that won the game for us.

When Melo is on from 3, we can play him, as he is a net +. But if he is not, Frank's got to have a tight leash.

We can survive with one suspect defender (Melo). But when you start to add multiple (Monk, Rondo, Westbrook on nights he is not focused on D) and you're playing a bigger lineup, it's just too much liability on D. Excited for the returns of Ariza and THT eventually. I think they will give us more 2-way options, something this team needs. Not sure of if Ellington and Nunn are 2-way, but if they are, damn, that will be such a big boost.

Players of the game for me were Bradley and Reaves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Frank did a better job with rotations (its clearly going to be a work in progress), although he destroyed our run by putting LJ back in the game. I was worried because LJ was holding the ball and eating clock while disrupting our flow. Luckily, Melo bailed us out on the offensive side of the ball.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DBs been asking what's the 5 man lineup that is 2-way, that you can close and or play for longer stretches as they give you D. I think we have found 2 lineups.

Howard/AD
AD/Bron
Bron/Baze
Baze/Reaves
Bradley/Reaves

We had some combination of those lineups, and for the first time this season, we looked competent on D. This is our identity as a basketball team. But to play this way, we have to completely abort those Rondo, Monk, Melo lineups.

Westbrook has potential 2-way. He did better yesterday. But it was those Reaves, Bradley, Bazemore lineups that won the game for us.

When Melo is on from 3, we can play him, as he is a net +. But if he is not, Frank's got to have a tight leash.

We can survive with one suspect defender (Melo). But when you start to add multiple (Monk, Rondo, Westbrook on nights he is not focused on D) and you're playing a bigger lineup, it's just too much liability on D. Excited for the returns of Ariza and THT eventually. I think they will give us more 2-way options, something this team needs. Not sure of if Ellington and Nunn are 2-way, but if they are, damn, that will be such a big boost.

Players of the game for me were Bradley and Reaves.

My wife and I had Bradley and Reeves as the ole players of the game... ya gotta give the MVP award for that win to Lebron.

With that said, I agree with your entire defensive lineup analysis. While I have a lot of trust in Vogel's ability to figure out what works best, some of that trust has to be shown by also having patience while he experiments with lineups.

It's why I don't get upset when we have a lineup out there that clearly isn't working. With 12 new players on the team (three of which are returnees after a year away), this early part of the season has to be used to "figure it out", so he's going to keep trying out different combinations.

So based on last night's game, he is getting a better feel for who he can trust out there defensively while still getting the bonus of some offense from certain role players. Reeves and Bradley stand out, and Bazemore is underappreciated for the effort by some.

I mean, there will be times when we need more offense from Monk and (eventually) Ellington, but you are correct in that Vogel has to REALLY make sure we don't have an extended imbalance of defensive liabilities sharing the floor together if we want to succeed.

Last edited by joeblow on Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I like Monk as an offensive player but he reminds me of Quinn Cook from the last couple of season. Break glass in case of emergency. Leave him on the bench unless the game is out of reach or you have a lot of injuries.

Can't wait for THT to get back and for Frank to roll out THT, Bradley, and Reeves off the bench. IMO they are going to clamp down on guys.

Agree with Wolf that Frank is going to have a tight leash on Melo. When he is on, great. If he is not, pull him. Just not going to stop too many guys at this stage in his career. I will say he has shown effort especially defending in the paint and rebounding.

Lakers won points in the points and rebounds but lost the turnover battle. Defense won the game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

Yeah guys Melo is flat out a killer from 3, it is so nice to finally have that weapon around AD/Bron. However 27.7 minutes a game? Come on Frank. That's way too much. He's not that good of a defender or net impact player to get those minutes on a contender.

Two stretches of 6-8 minutes of Melo are enough. If he goes off, really off, then you extend the 8 to 10. The fact that we're playing him this much may be due to Bron's injury 2 games and Ariza's injury (all season so far). No THT either, who I think would get minutes at the 3 next to Bron/AD at the 4.

The real potential of this team will be known when I think the minutes are more like this for the role guys around the big 3 AD (36), Bron (36) Westbrook (36).

20-25 min range
Baze
Bradley
THT (if he has improved on D like Frank thinks)
Howard
Reaves

15-20 min
Melo
Ariza
Nunn/Ellington/Monk

Key points for me

1) I don't think we need both DeAndre and Dwight. I think one is enough, and AD should play the rest at the 5. Start Howard, as he's better defensively than DAJ but you can sub between the two of them.

2) Baze/Bradley/THT/Reaves should all play big minutes on this team. They are 2-way guys. THT may be getting credit he doesn't deserve, but I think he will stick to his man on D and use that length to fight hard to challenge shots. Ariza, just due to age can't probably play big minutes anymore.

3) Guys like Melo, Ellington, Rondo, Monk, unlikely to be 2-way. But can be major threats on offense. You play them based on need and do not team them up on the same lineup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, sounds right...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

There was a stat where it showed we have been the WORST 3rd Q team in the league going into this game. And again, we seemed to start to lose this game in the third.

We fall to 73-66 in this game. In the third. With the starters with DAJ/Westbrook.

Then Frank subs in Avery Bradley for Westbrook.
Reaves comes in for DAJ (AD to the 5).
Melo in for Baze.

We play AD/Melo/Bron/Reaves/Bradley.

On O, Bron runs the PG.
On D, Bradley takes the PG.

This changes the game for us.
When Westbrook comes back in, Bron goes out. So PG offense for PG offense. And Bradley continues to be a defensive presences.

Can't stress enough how important it is that we have guys that can stop the ball at PG and contest the perimeter, fight through screens, in Vogel's system. Westbrook doesn't do this enough. So moving him to the more off the ball player, while Bradley takes on the ball ballhandler, makes a lot of sense to me.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

i like that Frank put Monk in the dog house. i'm sure everyone is supportive enough to make this a teaching moment. the kid has A LOT of talent, but you gotta play on both ends of the floor. period.

let him watch what avery and even austin do and why they get to stay on the floor and he doesn't. stay positive and don't take it as a punishment. he will become a better player for it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers offense through 5 games:

9th in offRTG (haven't finished in the top 10 since 2012)
3rd in eFG% (55.8%)
9th in FG% at the rim (67.6%)
6th in 3PT% (38.7%)
6th most wide open 3's (43.5% shooting ~6th best)
10th in halfcourt points/per 100 pos
8th in transition efficiency
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

3rd in eFG% (55.8%)
6th in 3PT% (38.7%)

This is with WB not acclimated to Bron/AD yet, just waiting for the defense to be good, this team will be special
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:

3rd in eFG% (55.8%)
6th in 3PT% (38.7%)

This is with WB not acclimated to Bron/AD yet, just waiting for the defense to be good, this team will be special

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

If Monk’s lack of D doesn’t start sitting well with Vogel would you guys mind if Bradley and THT ( once he returns ) gets minutes over him? We will definitely miss Monk’s electric offensive capabilities but if decreasing his minutes makes us better I’m all for it.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Yeah guys Melo is flat out a killer from 3, it is so nice to finally have that weapon around AD/Bron. However 27.7 minutes a game? Come on Frank. That's way too much. He's not that good of a defender or net impact player to get those minutes on a contender.

Two stretches of 6-8 minutes of Melo are enough. If he goes off, really off, then you extend the 8 to 10. The fact that we're playing him this much may be due to Bron's injury 2 games and Ariza's injury (all season so far). No THT either, who I think would get minutes at the 3 next to Bron/AD at the 4.

The real potential of this team will be known when I think the minutes are more like this for the role guys around the big 3 AD (36), Bron (36) Westbrook (36).

20-25 min range
Baze
Bradley
THT (if he has improved on D like Frank thinks)
Howard
Reaves

15-20 min
Melo
Ariza
Nunn/Ellington/Monk

Key points for me

1) I don't think we need both DeAndre and Dwight. I think one is enough, and AD should play the rest at the 5. Start Howard, as he's better defensively than DAJ but you can sub between the two of them.

2) Baze/Bradley/THT/Reaves should all play big minutes on this team. They are 2-way guys. THT may be getting credit he doesn't deserve, but I think he will stick to his man on D and use that length to fight hard to challenge shots. Ariza, just due to age can't probably play big minutes anymore.

3) Guys like Melo, Ellington, Rondo, Monk, unlikely to be 2-way. But can be major threats on offense. You play them based on need and do not team them up on the same lineup.

Feels like he's doing it a lot out of necessity. You have to think it's Nunn, THT or Ariza in instead with those Monk, Melo, and Rondo + Westbrook permutations. Monk is going to be the easy-target whipping-boy. With Melo you just need to put a tight leash on him as you put it. I think there's a reasonable balance that can be achieved between success and veteran dynamics with him.

I think you're underestimating Nunn. Apparently they were raving about his defense during training camp.
michaelg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB, great write up. Glad to see the Lakers right the ship and lock down in the second half.

There was a sequence in the middle of the third-quarter when the game was getting away from us again, as Rubio was picking us apart. Frank called a timeout, the Cavs got another easy bucket to go up by 9, and Frank called another quick timeout. You could tell he was hot, clapping in his guys’ faces to wake them up. Somehow he lit a fire under them there. He made a key substitution putting in Melo and Reaves. Credit to Frank on that quick second TO and finding the right combo of defense and shooting to pull it out.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

This is what I believe are our core of players are. The ones that can play both ends of the floor that are capable of at least average defense:

LeBron
AD
Bazemore
Westbrook
Bradley
Reaves
Howard
Nunn
Ariza
THT
(Possibly playoff Rondo)

I feel we should ALWAYS have at least 4 of the players above on the floor. I know it’s hard to do that with 3 of them currently injured and at least 3 others that are question marks about how well they play D or how consistent they can be on that end. But, this is the team we have.

We can bring in Melo, Monk, Ellington for a scoring punch as the 5th guy, but on a short leash. If they’re not scoring and having a big offensive impact, pull them quickly. Melo/Monk/Ellington can be a huge negative for the team when not scoring. I know DJ is not a big scorer, but he could also have some minutes with the 4 better defender lineups as a lob threat and shot blocker/rebounder, but he’s not ideal.

We might have to go with 5 of our better defenders in the playoffs most of the game as Melo won’t get the open looks and the other team will abuse him when he’s on D. But, if he’s shooting lights out, you give him some run.

Even if we do all of that, it’s still hard to see us as anything but a mediocre to average defense team. Hopefully, I wrong on that.

Just my current $.02 we’ll see what the future brings.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB:
IMO, As a team we need to be more consistent defensively. Our overall defensive effort has been sub-par so far.
Looks like Vogel and crew are going to have to shake some things up in order to regain that focus on defense.

Quote:
NEXT GAME:
    SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31ST, 2021 10:30 PM ET
      Rockets @ Lakers
      Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Thanks DB:
IMO, As a team we need to be more consistent defensively. Our overall defensive effort has been sub-par so far.
Looks like Vogel and crew are going to have to shake some things up in order to regain that focus on defense.

Quote:
NEXT GAME:
    SUNDAY, OCTOBER 31ST, 2021 10:30 PM ET
      Rockets @ Lakers
      Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

I WANT THIS HALLOWIN
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

I liked how under control Westbrook was. Only 1 3-point attempt (which he made) and 4 turnovers (3 were in the first quarter). Several times he had the opportunity to jack up a quick 3, and maybe in the past he would've. Instead he was patient and made good things happen.

He had 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting. That's outstanding for anyone.

This. Can. Work.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! This was a better game to watch by far. Here's hoping we see some more progress on defense against the Rockets next.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think you're underestimating Nunn. Apparently they were raving about his defense during training camp.

Hope you're right.

We need as many 2-way guys as possible. If so, our minutes could be spent on having at least 4 2-way guys in the lineup at all times.

Ex:

Baze, AD, Bron, Howard (Westbrook the so so defender)
Nunn, Bradley, AD, Bron (Melo the suspect defender)
Bradley, THT, Ariza, AD (Melo or Rondo the suspect defender)

etc.

I hope in 2 months we can outline these guys as reliable 2-way guys

AD
Bron
Baze
Bradley
Reaves
Howard
Nunn
THT
Ariza

Leaving us to sort of hide

Westbrook (Although I think he can be a 2-way guy when he is focused on that end)
Melo
Rondo
Monk

At season's start the guys we're supposed to hide have been part of some of our lineups. All 4 of them. Once we can balance that out with 1 suspect defender and 4 two-way guys, I think we'll at the very least be a good defensive team. Maybe not elite like the last 2 years, but at least in that 10-15 range in the NBA. And if that happens, then this team is a contender. And come playoffs, Frank will need to match up in a way where his defensive strategy produces results, which I think he can and will. As well, I think Rob will make a move by deadline if he ends up seeing that Reaves and Bradley are musts in the rotation (The new Caruso/KCP types) on this team and he will move possibly players like Monk etc.

So far to me the guys that resemble Vogel mentality (Formerly KCP/Caruso/Green) are:

Bradley/Reaves/Bazemore

Those 3+ AD/Bron = championship level D. Already see it. Those 3 guys need to be developed in the offense as they may not be the most creative or talented, but have the most defensive impact and potential on the team.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject:

That got me thinking, the last few years, we did have 1 suspect defender in lineups.

Two years ago - Kuz, Rondo. Man those lineups used to kill us on D. Still remember before Kuz improved his D. Quinn also got roasted a lot on D.

Starters, McGee often had issues on D and getting back.

However we tend to have 4 guys out there that balled defensively.

AD/Bron/Green/Bradley (Or KCP when Bradley was out).

Second unit had Caruso.

So really the two-way guys were Green, KCP, Bradley, Caruso and of course AD/Bron.

We have to find that kind of balance again, and have it on paper. Baze, Bradley and Reaves have shown it. That's 3 tough defenders. Now you add 2 more out of THT/Ariza/Nunn/Ellington. If any of those 2 can give us quality D. With Dwight, we have now have a real roster and rotation of defenders to put around AD/Bron/Westbrook. We can hide Melo. We can hide Rondo. Etc. Frank just can not play multiple bad defenders in the same lineup.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: