Got to give an employee/friend end of employment notice tomorrow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Got to give an employee/friend end of employment notice tomorrow

Our department VP broke the news to me this afternoon..
Sucks because I like the guy…
Good thing is, he has until April 2022 to get a job…that’s at least generous..
Still sucks..
Need to set up the meeting for tomorrow, 9am.

Wish me luck.
Feel like crap
Why me?
Department just announced today a reorganization…but really no heads up..

I need a beer…

Thanks for reading
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Got to give an employee/friend end of employment notice tomorrow

anth2000 wrote:
Still sucks..

Wish me luck.
Feel like crap
Why me?

I need a beer…

Thanks for reading

Can you present it as you fought to get him until next April? I am just saying it could help the friendship long term if that is something you care about......if he thinks he could have been without a pay check immediately, but you as a friend went to bat for him. Not sure I have anything for you outside that....I have terminated people when it was my decision and when the decision came from above me.....it always sucks. If he has till April, it may not work out perfect, but it will not be terrible for him most likely.

One time early in my career, I was part of a downsizing after a merger. The problem was I was leading an implementation project, corporate budgeting software that I was the only one well versed in, so they needed me to stick around for 6 months. It was the best thing that could have happened as they had to give me a sizable severance for sticking around, and I was able to obtain a better position near the time of my 6 months ending.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Got to give an employee/friend end of employment notice tomorrow

adkindo wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Still sucks..

Wish me luck.
Feel like crap
Why me?

I need a beer…

Thanks for reading

Can you present it as you fought to get him until next April? I am just saying it could help the friendship long term if that is something you care about......if he thinks he could have been without a pay check immediately, but you as a friend went to bat for him. Not sure I have anything for you outside that....I have terminated people when it was my decision and when the decision came from above me.....it always sucks. If he has till April, it may not work out perfect, but it will not be terrible for him most likely.

One time early in my career, I was part of a downsizing after a merger. The problem was I was leading an implementation project, corporate budgeting software that I was the only one well versed in, so they needed me to stick around for 6 months. It was the best thing that could have happened as they had to give me a sizable severance for sticking around, and I was able to obtain a better position near the time of my 6 months ending.

Thanks, brother. He will know it wasn’t my decision for sure and I am happy he has 6 months to find something + severance plus, if he stays until April, he will get his full bonus + merit increase.

Yes, I have been at the receiving end of a company merger, recession based layoffs and department restructuring so I am sensitive to it for sure. Each of those happened with a wife and three small children at home and one income. I will help him in any way I can. But it still stings….
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject:

It really sucks to let anyone go let alone a friend. Best of luck to you. I had to do this few times but they deserved to get let go. It was still hard to tell them.

Hopefully things change before April of next year and this person can remain employed there.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
It really sucks to let anyone go let alone a friend. Best of luck to you. I had to do this few times but they deserved to get let go. It was still hard to tell them.

Hopefully things change before April of next year and this person can remain employed there.

Yep, agreed. At least he has time. I got a notice, 1 week paycheck and called my wife from the Frys Electronics parking lot with a wife and three kids at home…big fun
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I've been in that position before, so I totally sympathize. I was the head of a department that needed make layoffs. I wasn't given much leeway as to who had to go, and one was a very close friend, both at work and outside. Fortunately, he very was understanding about the situation even though it was immediate (but with a decent severance), but it didn't make it easier.

One thing that happened that did take a bit of the sting out of having to let about half dozen people go was one of the people that was retained came to me immediately when she became aware of what was going on and resigned so that a young mother on the team could remain.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

The last time I was laid off was in 2008 and it prompted me to carefully analyze every job since then...

I quit 5 jobs since then, when i saw negatives on the horizon, not quitting until I had a new job lined up and every job was better (or slightly) better than the last!

Over six years at my current job and I will stay here until I retire, it's that great!

What everyone needs to learn is to look out for themselves and learn the warning signs, and let those be your motivation to find a new job..

As much as it sucks to get laid off, it's awesome to walk into the owners office on Friday afternoon and ask for your final paycheck because you are quitting due to them disrespecting you! (I did that on my last job - lol...)

When you are laid off, typically they don't give you two weeks notice, so don't feel you have to return the favor...!

Of course one of the jobs I quit, I stayed and worked an extra hour AFTER I had my final paycheck in hand, because they had an Audit coming up on Monday and I wanted to help them be prepared, so it goes both ways...
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:32 am    Post subject:

I've never had any employees, so the only thing I can say is to tell your friend that this is only a temporary setback, and that he/she can use this as an opportunity to get an ever better job or opportunity.

There are plenty of stories of people who had a great job, only to get fired or laid off, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise because shortly afterward they got an even better job.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I've never had any employees, so the only thing I can say is to tell your friend that this is only a temporary setback, and that he/she can use this as an opportunity to get an ever better job or opportunity.

There are plenty of stories of people who had a great job, only to get fired or laid off, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise because shortly afterward they got an even better job.

Yep, I totally know the "blessing in disguise" thing....it happened to me when I left my last toxic job and joined the company I am at now for the past 6 1/2 years.....Never been better...well, except when change like this happens. The changes do all make sense and its not a cost or budget reaction, its that his job is already being done by someone else in our Mexico plant....its redundant....
So, the validation is there......

With that said, still going to be tough and I am nursing a mega migraine which I get when I am under tremendous stress.....wish me luck...

and thank you all for chiming in. Made me feel better. Appreciate you all....
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

Yep, agreed. At least he has time. I got a notice, 1 week paycheck and called my wife from the Frys Electronics parking lot with a wife and three kids at home…big fun

Glad to hear you are doing well now. Yeah it sucks to lose a job. I could only imagine what you went through with a family to support. When I lost my job in the past I was single.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

And of course (assuming this is a solid employee) make sure they know you will serve as a solid reference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: