Imagine if the Lakers did not trade or dump all the young talent they draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
KyLaker wrote:
I rarely post so I know my opinion doesn't mean much.... I appreciate the Chip that Lebron/AD brought the Lakers esp due to the circumstances.

That said... I really really miss watching the young kids grow. I've had zero interest so far in Lakers basketball this season.

Being a draft junkie I understand your feelings. However after having the 7th pick followed by 3 consecutive number 2 overall picks plus other solid late 1st rounder's and still producing mediocre results on the court a much needed change was needed. There is still Reaves to follow as he has far exceeded expectations. Unfortunately THT has been hurt and Nunn still peaks my interest as a semi-young 3rd year player.

What needed to change was for the young players to grow and learn the NBA game. You wouldn’t take Julius Randle on this team?

Last years Julius, sure. but would he have accepted and still developed with a diminished role including coming off the bench? Despite nice counting stats he wasn't exactly a player in demand around the league.

Bear in mind by the time the young players grew into being NBA players Lebron would have aged another 2 years or so.

Also who knew how BI would come back after having surgery to alleviate blood clots. How often have you heard deep vein thrombosis associated to a basketball player?

I wouldn’t have Randle coming off the bench, I would play him with AD and Lebron.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
We had Lebron team up with some of our young players and they still lost a lot of games. If you can’t win with Lebron, then you can’t win with anybody.

Nope The first half of the season was fine then it got out that magic and lbj was trying to get rid of almost all of them but the clutch players of course and they got nervous mad and upset which I can’t blame them. Also don’t make lbj some basketball god that can carry a team that not built for his style...sorry he still not Kobe..smh.. Betta go get some more super friends...which ain’t working right now as it is.

Not only that, we were 4th, on our way to 3rd, but then Bron got injured.

I don’t know guys. I remember seeing that team and I taught they are good and maybe make top 4. But they weren’t going to be champions.

If Lebron didn’t get injuried I think they make the playoffs and be eliminate maybe 2nd or 3rd round.

Even being the 4th seed almost never means you’re a serious contender. The NBA allows way too many teams in the playoffs; even mediocre teams and below average teams can get in. We had a team with a 42-40 record make it in 2007 and get wiped out.

This will never happen but I wish the league cut the number of playoff teams in half. Top 4 in each conference get it. That way only the good teams get in.

Championship teams rarely are lower than a 2 seed. They almost never are a 4 or lower. So even if that team with Lebron got a 4 seed (a huge it), it doesn’t mean their chances of winning anything would be good.

I find it ironic that some posters have such high standards, expecting dynasties and multiple rings, and then are okay with a team that just makes the playoffs. That is a LOW standard for a team with Lebron.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

I disagree with a lot of folks here.

I don't think the Bubble Ring was worth trading away the future with home-grown all-star talent for a bunch of free-agents. If Milwaukee can win a ring, I think our core, home grown talent would have had a decent shot, for years.

Letting Julius Randle walk with getting nothing in trade value seems like total mismanagement. Dumping young talent with all-star potential (now confirmed) for aging star power seems misguided as well.

Also, is there a rule that prevents teams from resigning their players to long term contracts before they hit free agency?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

The Pelicans have not fared well at all in the AD trade so far. That team looks like it is really going downhill fast.

We are so far 1 for 2 in terms of championships with AD.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject:

lol this thread is gonna get bumped a lot this year, probably reach 40 pages.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

And imagine if we didn't win that 2020 championship...
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

And imagine if we didn't win that 2020 championship...

BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Pelicans have not fared well at all in the AD trade so far. That team looks like it is really going downhill fast.

Or you can also say AD is 0 for 9 in terms of championships without LBJ.

AD got hot during the bubble championship, but LBJ had the luxury of a shorter season and no travel in the bubble which helped him compete better at his age. I'm not saying they didn't deserve the title... they did, but it was an unnatural amount of rest for an older player while the following year was the opposite.

From what I can see AD has little ability to lead the team to victory without LBJ, so although he is better than Ingram or Randle, or whichever kid you want to compare him to, he hasn't shown the play of a franchise cornerstone on which you can build a future champion.

If AD played like Embiid then maybe you could say losing all these assets was worth it... but when Ingram averages 25 like AD shooting 40% from three instead of 30%... then I don't see a huge difference between LBJ with AD vs. Ingram and all the kids.

If AD starts really playing like a center... then sure Ingram can't compare... but if AD keeps playing like a perimeter player... then especially offensively he's a worse player than Ingram from the outside shooting threes and the midrange.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but when Ingram averages 25 like AD shooting 40% from three instead of 30%... then I don't see a huge difference between LBJ with AD vs. Ingram and all the kids.

You are completely discounting the fact that AD puts up those stats while playing at DPOY level. BI's defense has been very disappointing, and that's where you miss the comparison. BI is a good scorer but his defense is nowhere near AD, which is what LBJ needed.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
but when Ingram averages 25 like AD shooting 40% from three instead of 30%... then I don't see a huge difference between LBJ with AD vs. Ingram and all the kids.

You are completely discounting the fact that AD puts up those stats while playing at DPOY level. BI's defense has been very disappointing, and that's where you miss the comparison. BI is a good scorer but his defense is nowhere near AD, which is what LBJ needed.

I'm aware of that, which is why I don't dare say Ingram is better... but my point remains that AD still hasn't proven any ability to will his team to victories like Luka, Trae, or Ja Morant

And yes I also get that it's a different NBA and perimeter players exert way more influence these days than big men... but AD is playing like a small man which neutralizes his benefit half of the time.

Remember, it's the collective group of assets and picks that I value... not just one player here and there.

AD needs to take over more games for me to feel it was worth it.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject:

We would be in the midst of reaping the benefits of being patient and letting those guys grow.

That core group with the right coach and the right veterans added around them would have brought a title to Los Angeles.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

Thread would be more relevant it if was titled "Imagine in the Lakers did not trade away or dump their 2020 World Championship team".

Thanks, Robert.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

Post is right on time. I'll bite again

So I think you keep a core of Lonzo, BI, and Randle/DLO(one or the other), and Caruso and build around that. Could be an interesting fun team, maybe if you throw in the right vets it can be a young team people are scared of in the playoffs but probably won't have championship aspirations without that Superstar alpha.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Eh. The Pelicans built their team around Zion. Zion has been out all season and may not play until December. Now Ingram is out. If you want to view this as some sort of referendum on the Pelicans, go for it. They've been a mess for some time. They really need to become the Las Vegas Pelicans or the Seattle Pelicans.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:

So I think you keep a core of Lonzo, BI, and Randle/DLO(one or the other), and Caruso and build around that. Could be an interesting fun team, maybe if you throw in the right vets it can be a young team people are scared of in the playoffs but probably won't have championship aspirations without that Superstar alpha.

It's about all the pieces from Clarkson to our #4 pick we never got to choose.

No one thinks any one player would be at AD's level but we squandered many small assets that we could have used to shore up the team.

It's all of them that is the waste.

I can also agree the front office has kept the parade of ring chasers flowing, but that dries up once LBJ finally grows too old to carry the
team.

The team has the illusion of being well run simply because LBJ is so good and people want to play with him.

It will be different when he can no longer carry them on his back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

Alternative realities are more interesting when current times are rocky.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Eh. The Pelicans built their team around Zion. Zion has been out all season and may not play until December. Now Ingram is out. If you want to view this as some sort of referendum on the Pelicans, go for it. They've been a mess for some time. They really need to become the Las Vegas Pelicans or the Seattle Pelicans.

Interesting fact I just read, Zion’s listed weight is more than every member of the Saints offensive line.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:

right !!! imagine we pay max to Lonzo/ BI/ Randle(DLO) instead of AD/Russ
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Man, I would be pissed if we would have given DLO this toxic contract. Julius, Lonzo and BI are good, but none of them is a teams cornerstone
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Man, I would be pissed if we would have given DLO this toxic contract. Julius, Lonzo and BI are good, but none of them is a teams cornerstone

Knicks fans would disagree
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
matigol wrote:

Knicks fans would disagree

cornerstone for a team fighting for the playoffs
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Thread would be more relevant it if was titled "Imagine in the Lakers did not trade away or dump their 2020 World Championship team".

Thanks, Robert.

"imagine the lakers traded away the 2020 championship for the young players"
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

They too are not smart. They put all their chips on Zion, and are now building around him. So they let Zo walk. They could have added a good vet around them or tried to go after a star, but they feel Zion is their star and has not been on the court enough. Also is overweight.

Though with the Lakers are different because collectively I feel they would have faired well, considering we had Bron and we could have got someone else. Not trade away all of our assets in the manner we did.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:

It's not clear that a team could get past, oh, the second round with any of those players as their main guy.

They might surprise us at some point, but at this point I am not wistfully imagining the road not taken.

Randle looks like the best of the lot. He's in his 8th season, and I think he'll top out as a good, borderline all-star type of player.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

good for us, that means the swaps will be pretty much meaningless.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: