BUDDY HEILD ($22.5 mil) MALIK MONK ($1.7 mil)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

BETTER PLAYER
BUDDY HIELD
43%
 43%  [ 22 ]
MALIK MONK
56%
 56%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 51

lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Monk is a question mark. He has a good game and follows it with a bad game. It's yet to be determined what his place in the league is. That's why he was available for the minimum. He may turn into something or he may not.

Buddy is definitely a flawed player but he shoots at a elite level. He's having a bad start to this season. So if you're going to judge him totally by just the last 20 games he doesn't look very good.

last 3 games of BH: 18-2 from 3pt. 36.8% 3pt FG 38.9% FG for the year
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject:

I won't compare the two, but the comparison Hield vs Westbrook. I'll take Westbrook any day of the week. Give me Westbrook and a guy like KCP or Danny Green, or give me Hield and a Dennis Schroder or Alex Caruso? I take Westbrook/DG or KCP combo for the playoffs.

Flaws and all, Westbrook is going to go down as one of the best at his position, and in rare company. We need to fully optimize his game though. In OKC he had a Seflosha. Elite wing defender. We need a 2 next to him that can defend and shoot the 3. We see when Ellington or Monk hit shots and defend next to him, we're a very potent team. With Hield, all you had were 3 point shooting options at 23M. With WB, you have an added dimension to your game that you never had in the AD/Bron era. I think the upside is far more with this move.

I guess one could have argued we needed to keep both THT and Caruso, and then package one via trade. But it's not my money our money.

I just wish we can do what we were able to do with Hield. The main positive of the Hield move was that we would have kept 1 starting level player. In the WB trade, we are left with zero. So it's on Rob to get this team a starting backcourt mate for WB. No, Bradley won't cut it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

If Monk can play passable defense on a sustained basis, and if he gets his three point percentage a little higher, he’ll get a real contract from someone next summer.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject:

the more i watched Hield, the less impressed i am about him.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

Monk is a keeper. Young and skilled. We need that on this Lakers team.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

He has one elite skill. He is below average at everything else.

I’ll take Monk who is pretty underrated as a playmaker/ball handler. Monk’s issue will always be the defensive end. If he can just be playable there…and doesn’t cost the insane salary of Hield.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

I’ll take Monk who is pretty underrated as a playmaker/ball handler. Monk’s issue will always be the defensive end. If he can just be playable there…and doesn’t cost the insane salary of Hield.

his shooting is elite, but he is not Curry/Dame level shooter. very inconsistent as well.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

his shooting is elite, but he is not Curry/Dame level shooter. very inconsistent as well.

Dame is a level shooter? Dame is a 37% three point shooter on 8 a game, Hield is a career 40% three point shooter on 7.5 a game. Hield's already a better three point shooter than Dame has ever been and in terms of shooting Dame doesn't belong in the discussion with Curry or anywhere close to it. He's hit some clutch long range threes, but for his career he's nothing special from it.

Hield's already a better three point shooter than Dame ever was. He has been since he entered the league.

This year and the foul changes has ESPECIALLY effected Lillard which no one seemed to want to talk about, so much so that he complains about it to the media. So there's that too. He said "I don't bait fouls" only to have someone put together a long compilation of his game to show the fact he does exactly that :3 and why his game has taken a dive this season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Monk is a question mark. He has a good game and follows it with a bad game. It's yet to be determined what his place in the league is. That's why he was available for the minimum. He may turn into something or he may not.

Buddy is definitely a flawed player but he shoots at a elite level. He's having a bad start to this season. So if you're going to judge him totally by just the last 20 games he doesn't look very good.

last 3 games of BH: 18-2 from 3pt. 36.8% 3pt FG 38.9% FG for the year

I don't give much attention to the ups and downs of a few games. Everyone goes through those. especially shooting 3s. What matters is how a player performs over a long period of time, and how they perform historically over several years.

Like I said, Hield is going through a tough spell to start the season. I expect he'll go on a tear at some point, shoot 53% or something from 3s for a month, and bring his average up to his career norm.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject:

I added the windmill dunk against the C's.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

Monk is a better ball handler than I realized. Still needs to stop making boneheaded plays and improve his defense, but he can still develop.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

It’s more WB + Monk vs Hield + Monk, I’m good with WB
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Dame is a level shooter? Dame is a 37% three point shooter on 8 a game, Hield is a career 40% three point shooter on 7.5 a game. Hield's already a better three point shooter than Dame has ever been and in terms of shooting Dame doesn't belong in the discussion with Curry or anywhere close to it. He's hit some clutch long range threes, but for his career he's nothing special from it.

Hield's already a better three point shooter than Dame ever was. He has been since he entered the league.

I bet dame can easily shoot 40% from 3 if he only gonna take catch n shoot treys like hield does.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
MJST wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

I bet dame can easily shoot 40% from 3 if he only gonna take catch n shoot treys like hield does.

Yeah, in no world am I picking Hield over Dame for taking a 3 in a game. Hield doesn't face 1/2 the defensive pressure Dame does on a nightly basis. You can't just simply compare percentages to a bench player versus a superstar and call it a day.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Buddy is the classic example of box score and stats watching vs. Sacramento game watching.

It tells 2 different stories.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Buddy is the classic example of box score and stats watching vs. Sacramento game watching.

They are telling the same story now. Hield just isn’t that good
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

They are telling the same story now. Hield just isn’t that good

Yeah I haven’t checked his numbers, all I’m saying is when people salivate over Hield’s 3 PT elite shooting on high volume, they are missing what the game shows…like him getting benched and hearing boos from the crowd.

Basketball is more than just being a shooter on high volume. It’s actually empty stats if you do nothing else offensively and you get hunted on defense.

At least Monk has playmaking ability.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

START MONK once ARIZA is fully healthy.

WB
MONK
ARIZA
BRON
AD
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
START MONK once ARIZA is fully healthy and back.

WB
MONK
ARIZA
BRON
AD

I like that a lot. Ariza just needs to play 10 mins a half.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

its actually
WB vs Hield+Caruso+KCP... we could have signed Monk regardless.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

I added the circus shot from the other night.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

Somewhat unfair question from this post, but anyways...

Malik is the better player because of his potential and the fact that he hasn't reached his ceiling.

My guess is that either of these players have the ball in their hand more and both of their numbers increase significantly. The truth behind that is Malik is better with the ball than Heild!

If Malik chooses to be one of the better players in the league he can, it's simply a matter of how BAD he wants it.

Malik is a far better shooter than Ja Morant, and can get to the cup in similar fashion and explosiveness. However the difference is the Heart of the Player. JA Wants it and that's what separates him from the rest of the competition.
The other side of that coin is simply JA is the Man on his team, the main go to guy and not only is he THAT GUY, but he plays like it, from start to finish and he wants the ball in his hands!

Jaylen is another player, very similar to JA and he will get his due, mainly because he wants it more!

With all that being said, Malik is still very young and if you've watched his game evolve since coming into the league, he's already starting to slow his pace and see everything better, which could be very dangerous for this league. If he learns to move without the ball, you can forget about it!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
governator wrote:

its actually
WB vs Hield+Caruso+KCP... we could have signed Monk regardless.

Caruso-KCP-Reaves-Monk… sigh, that would’ve been nice
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

I saw Buddy trade proposals in the free agent thread.
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I will take 3 years of Buddy over 1 year of Monk. Don't forget that we could have had them both (along with our 1st ,KCP, and AC) if we played our cards right. We would have had a deeper roster with SUPERIOR perimeter D while also having FLEXIBILITY (to make a move if needed).

It's just not that, either. How about the fact that Westbrook is literally a negative asset by multiple metrics? (e.g. RAPTOR: -0.5 WAR ... BPM: -1.3 ... EPM: -1.2)

It's not even just the opportunity cost of Westbrook, he just inherently sucks that bad.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: