CARMELO ANTHONY Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
All I know is he is an upgrade over Kuzma. Can't really debate that.

In a vacuum, I'd take Kuzma over Melo. Especially given age. That said...

For what we currently need from that bench forward role (Melo is basically replacing Kuz) - give me Melo's shooting over what Kuz brings any day of the week

As good as Kuz is rebounding in WAS, he is shooting 32% from deep. Melo is shooting 20% better right now. Now I know Melo won't maintain that, but for his role, the shooting is MUCH more important for us IMO

I Loved Kuz the player and character.. He was really molding into becoming a Laker Professional.. but I felt so bad for him watching his ballhandling woes.. If he keeps a chip on his shoulder he can become another special ex-laker
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
acer77 wrote:
Best FA signing since Lebron.

NBA Champion Alex Caruso begs to differ

He'd be out of order.

Caruso signed BEFORE Lebron (July 7, 2019 vs July 9, 2019).

Bulls Lakers 2021 Finals
Master vs Student
Alex Caruso Season MVP goes head to head against his Teacher in a battle of the Ages
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
acer77 wrote:

He'd be out of order.

Didn’t Bron sign in 2018?
#18 next...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
acer77 wrote:

I wonder how things would have un-folded had we accepted our pitch back when he was a FA before he eventually joined the Knicks, maybe playing for the Lakers brings out the best in him, he would have been great next to Kobe.

What if we had traded Bynum for him in 2010-2011? Star wing to take pressure off of Kobe.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
acer77 wrote:

I wonder how things would have un-folded had we accepted our pitch back when he was a FA before he eventually joined the Knicks, maybe playing for the Lakers brings out the best in him, he would have been great next to Kobe.

What if we had traded Bynum for him in 2010-2011? Star wing to take pressure off of Kobe.

The versatility of that roster would have been too much.

Gasol
Odom, Artest
Melo, Barnes
Kobe
Fish

LeBron would have 2 rings less.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
acer77 wrote:

He'd be out of order.

Didn’t Bron sign in 2018?

I'm using alternative facts.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Carmelo Anthony leads the NBA in catch-and-shoot points per game at 9.1, with a ridiculous 74.4% eFG.

Melo has (so far) slayed the Lakers shooting curse!
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

yup, melo mentioned how great frank and the coaches were at SHOWING HIM what they want from him on the defensive end. like actual schemes... not the usual vague "you gotta hustle on D!"

cathy78 wrote:
just watched the LakeShow Highlights. I can't remember seeing defensive highlights from Melo before... This coaching staff is special...
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
yup, melo mentioned how great frank and the coaches were at SHOWING HIM what they want from him on the defensive end. like actual schemes... not the usual vague "you gotta hustle on D!"

cathy78 wrote:
just watched the LakeShow Highlights. I can't remember seeing defensive highlights from Melo before... This coaching staff is special...

If Melo ends up playing good defense this year, may have to give the coaching staff coach of the year. To teach a person to play good defense after all those years of average to below average defense sounds quite hard to me.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

cathy78 wrote:

If Melo ends up playing good defense this year, may have to give the coaching staff coach of the year. To teach a person to play good defense after all those years of average to below average defense sounds quite hard to me.

This is Franks Zen Year.. he seems to be looking at every angle
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Melo really has been our only consistent role player on offense. 5-3 record. He has giving us enough production to pull off some close wins.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Melo really has been our only consistent role player on offense. 5-3 record. He has giving us enough production to pull off some close wins.

The crazy thing, he is not a role player. He is playing like an all-star. The last time I saw a wing who looked that fluid shooting the ball in a Laker jersey especially in isolations in post ups, it was a guy who wore 24.

I've been hard on Melo over the years, but so far, it is early, but he has been everything I was hoping he could be. His game on offense is not just a role player, he's a star. He's playing like a star. Not saying he will keep it up all season, but so far, damn. He is everything in a 3rd option we wanted from Kuz 2 years ago (and Kuz failed at it, ended up being a role guy off the bench). Only, he's a 4th option. Can't think of too many better 4th options. We have one of the best big 4s in the league, but unless we find the right defense balance, it will not lead to a title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject:

I think Blazers have huge regret in not trying harder in bringing back Carmelo Anthony, especially with how Lillard is stinking up the joint offensively but we have no idea if he would have been doing this with the Blazers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think Blazers without any doubts have huge regret in not trying harder in bringing back Carmelo Anthony, especially with how Lillard is stinking up the joint offensively but we have no idea if he would have been doing this with the Blazers.

Both Dame and Carmelo seem due for a regression to the mean. We're not even at 10 games yet.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think Blazers without any doubts have huge regret in not trying harder in bringing back Carmelo Anthony, especially with how Lillard is stinking up the joint offensively but we have no idea if he would have been doing this with the Blazers.

Both Dame and Carmelo seem due for a regression to the mean. We're not even at 10 games yet.

Que? Do you mean Dame will start sizzling offensively and Carmelo will start slowing down?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Que? Do you mean Dame will start sizzling offensively and Carmelo will start slowing down?

Yes. I don't think Anthony will continue to shoot 52% on 3s. I also don't think Lillard will continue to shoot 23% on 3s.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yes. I don't think Anthony will continue to shoot 52% on 3s. I also don't think Lillard will continue to shoot 23% on 3s.

If he does it will literally be Area 51 for the whole league lol
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Carmelo continues to shoot lights out basketball: 15 points, (6-9FG/3-5TP), +1
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

If he does it will literally be Area 51 for the whole league lol

Man, build Carmelo a statue in front of Staples and a rocketship to Mars if he shoots 52% from 3 all season.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject:

So far I don't see any negativity coming from Carmelo regarding his role as a key bench player not a starter. It also seems to me he's invested in doing what's asked of him, putting out effort on defense to the extent of his ability, actually showing some passable defense against 4's and 5's, he's clearly keeping himself in shape, and he's keeping his shot on form very well, which is where he's really been shining this early part of the season. Can't argue with his shooting percentages, particularly considering a lot of his scoring has come at crucial junctions in games, not garbage time. Everything here runs opposite of what I feared we'd see from him.

I like how he's approached his role with the Lakers. He's been a difference maker in several games now because of it.

Pleasant surprise to say the least.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Hoodie Melo
Olympic Melo
...Staples Melo 😈
#18 next...
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Hoodie Melo
Olympic Melo
...Staples Melo 😈

LA Melo
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
So far I don't see any negativity coming from Carmelo regarding his role as a key bench player not a starter. It also seems to me he's invested in doing what's asked of him, putting out effort on defense to the extent of his ability, actually showing some passable defense against 4's and 5's, he's clearly keeping himself in shape, and he's keeping his shot on form very well, which is where he's really been shining this early part of the season. Can't argue with his shooting percentages, particularly considering a lot of his scoring has come at crucial junctions in games, not garbage time. Everything here runs opposite of what I feared we'd see from him.

I like how he's approached his role with the Lakers. He's been a difference maker in several games now because of it.

Honestly, not surprising for me at all for one reason: the stage of his career at which he finds himself. Just like Westbrook, Carmelo has been/is a supreme talent who has learned being supremely talented only goes so far.

They both have been the alpha for their respective teams. While being so for their respective teams, Lebron was the alpha AND winning trophies. They both have also become financially well off so money is not their focus. It's about a ring now.

And they both know that means sacrifice.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Honestly, not surprising for me at all for one reason: the stage of his career at which he finds himself. Just like Westbrook, Carmelo has been/is a supreme talent who has learned being supremely talented only goes so far.

They both have been the alpha for their respective teams. While being so for their respective teams, Lebron was the alpha AND winning trophies. They both have also become financially well off so money is not their focus. It's about a ring now.

And they both know that means sacrifice.

A few years ago the worry about him complaining about minutes or being a starter were 100% valid but yeah the last couple seasons I think really helped him accept the reality almost like how Vince Carter or Jason Kidd became great role players for years instead of forcing things and looking bad as a fading star. You got Melo and Dwight who look to be transitioning into the late career role player roles beautifully and i'm thrilled they're both Lakers considering the low cost. Melo in particular has surprised me with his 2 way effort though, in no realistic way did I expect the effort he's been already displaying so early.

Then Westbrook who outside of Harden hasn't really played with a legit top 5ish player in the league outside of maybe Durant but they were both very young and different players then today. With Harden it was pretty clear he didn't respect him much by the end since the known fights that went on with Harden being lazy and not caring much about practice or film sessions much of the time. You throw Westbrook with 2 of them now that both demand excellence on both sides of the ball and a coach that also demands effort on both ends not to mention a much more wise Westbrook that realizes his best days are dwindling down real fast and we have a unique recipe imo that can get him to make some bigger changes then the last few stops were able to. Only time will tell for sure but I like the changes we've already seen just from the first few weeks of the season. Then lastly, on top of it all he's a 3rd option now instead of 1st or 2nd which is a pretty big deal as well and should hopefully help him reign in some of the more riskier passes/shots.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject:

Highlights
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 10 of 21
Jump to: