CARMELO ANTHONY Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Carmelo has what it takes to play D. Vogel brings that mindset when it comes to players, he doesn’t have to play good defense all the time but he’s shown in small spurts this season that he can hold his own defensively.

that's my prayer, if he can finally does that, he's closing games

I know it’s not crazy to see players through out the history of the NBA developing some sort of defensive prowess later in there career, there is probably a few examples, if Melo had hit that 3 to tie the game against OKC he would be the talk of the town right now because he’s been very solid offensively.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
governator wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Carmelo has what it takes to play D. Vogel brings that mindset when it comes to players, he doesn’t have to play good defense all the time but he’s shown in small spurts this season that he can hold his own defensively.

that's my prayer, if he can finally does that, he's closing games

I know it’s not crazy to see players through out the history of the NBA developing some sort of defensive prowess later in there career, there is probably a few examples, if Melo had hit that 3 to tie the game against OKC he would be the talk of the town right now because he’s been very solid offensively.

Melo's defense may be almost non-existent but he still plays with the same conviction and passion that he displayed as a young player.
His experience, knowledge and basketball IQ along make him a valuable asset.
When his shot is on, he is still deadly and he is also a dependable closer
He has earned his playing time here and has become a valuable piece of this team. He's no "spring chicken" but I expect him to play well most nights.
I'm also glad he decided to become a Laker.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

He 100% showed in the Grizzlies game he can play defense when he cares.. He was so into that game defensively he was literally yelling at other guys to get in the right spots on defense a few times which is something I personally don't recall ever seeing him do much or at least anytime in the last 5+ years watching him. He was also closing out and moving his feet pretty well staying in front of the defender which is why I left the comment in this thread on the 25th about it. I didn't see this kind of conviction on that end before the Grizzlies game or since but it still gives me hope that when he really wants to he can at least be attentive and elevate himself to being an average defender which when he does that he's instantly one of the best role players in the NBA imo instead of just a "Professional Scorer".

I'm hoping throughout the year once more guys start getting benched for only playing on the offensive end ala Monk it hopefully wakes others up to the realization Vogel heavily respects anyone putting in defensive effort which is also why an undrafted rookie is playing heavy minutes on an extremely veteran rich contending team. In a game like yesterdays Reaves and Bradley's defensive effort stood out way more then they honestly should have, nothing but respect to them but if others weren't dogging it much of the game it wouldn't have been such a standout. Then you add to the fact both Reaves and Bradley are also solid offensively it's the other players jobs to match and try to surpass it now. Monk, THT and Nunn especially all have the talent to do it but will they? I think Vogel sits (or heavily reduces minutes) for any of those guys even the 10 million dollar man if he gets clearly outplayed once he returns.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Should have been brought in on a vet min years ago. Didn’t understand the politics involved in not doing so…especially seeing how he would be a great mentor to Kuz while encouraging a healthy fight for that role/PT.

He’s going to be off and on, but when he’s lit, he’s cooking those nets. And it’s totally worth the vet min we giving him.

Hopefully Vogs/Fitz can unleash some type of dormant defender within him…cause dude has some bite (I recall he was trying to step to the Suns or Frizz when we were trying to fight back from a deficit…that stick with me).
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Like many posters mentioned, Melo is great as long as we don't have another negative defender in the lineup. He actually has good strength and size to help defend smaller bigs in the post, and his shooting ability and confidence is crucial in close games.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Should have been brought in on a vet min years ago. Didn’t understand the politics involved in not doing so…especially seeing how he would be a great mentor to Kuz while encouraging a healthy fight for that role/PT.

He’s going to be off and on, but when he’s lit, he’s cooking those nets. And it’s totally worth the vet min we giving him.

Hopefully Vogs/Fitz can unleash some type of dormant defender within him…cause dude has some bite (I recall he was trying to step to the Suns or Frizz when we were trying to fight back from a deficit…that stick with me).

Melo right now is playing close to a MLE type then someone who is worth the vet min, if he was doing this with with another team some team who is thirsty for winning would have given him a nice contract.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

Melo is also getting shots playing next to AD/Westbrook/Bron, that he would not be getting anywhere else. The amount of openings he gets are incredible.

Teams will need to start putting a body on him, and when they do, it just opens up the paint more for Westbrook or Bron.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Melo is also getting shots playing next to AD/Westbrook/Bron, that he would not be getting anywhere else. The amount of openings he gets are incredible.

Teams will need to start putting a body on him, and when they do, it just opens up the paint more for Westbrook or Bron.

He made a couple of threes with the defender there, but your point stands. It's a fabulous luxury to have one of the league's top ten all-time scorers next to James, Westbrook, and AD.

When he's on, and we can surround him with solid defensive players like Reaves & Bradley, along side James & Davis, we're real good.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

We'll find out tonight if old man Melo can string two good games in a row.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
He is by far our best shooter, so we might have to live with his defense.

You don’t live with his type of defense, you die. Limit his minutes and maybe you survive.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

You don’t live with his type of defense, you die. Limit his minutes and maybe you survive.

Did the warriors “die” with steph’s defense or did they find a way to hide it?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Melo showed up & showed out!
23 points (5 treys), 4 blocks!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

4 point play
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

The way he is shooting 3's, I am surprised teams are living him open on some of those shots.

The Lakers are a big 4, not 3.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Highlights
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Putting up the best numbers since the 2016-2017 Knicks season.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Did the warriors “die” with steph’s defense or did they find a way to hide it?

Good point. He has also been putting energy on the defensive end. He's not a good defender, but he's putting in effort.

Last edited by Outspoken on Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Finisher, not scorer. That’s the Lakers have given him a better role to play. He is great to play alongside the big 3. Vogel has his lineup for final minutes set in Anthony + big 3 + Bradley/Bazemore/(Ariza)
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
We'll find out tonight if old man Melo can string two good games in a row.

Indeed he did. Good game tonight.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Heard on post game interview 4 blocks and 2 steals first time since rookie year. Awesome
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Melo > Kuzma

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Heard on post game interview 4 blocks and 2 steals first time since rookie year. Awesome

Yeah something lit a fire under him. Not sure how long it will last, but I gotta say I like seeing Carmelo make an effort on defense these last couple games. Even Vogel commented on it. Making his rotations. He had Reeve's back when HBK rotated to help and someone failed to help the helper, Melo made the adjustment and that led to one of his swats. THAT is a surprise.

Can he/will he sustain that focus? Truly awesome if he does take that path.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Yeah something lit a fire under him. Not sure how long it will last, but I gotta say I like seeing Carmelo make an effort on defense these last couple games. Even Vogel commented on it. Making his rotations. He had Reeve's back when HBK rotated to help and someone failed to help the helper, Melo made the adjustment and that led to one of his swats. THAT is a surprise.

Can he/will he sustain that focus? Truly awesome if he does take that path.

Grizzlies game was even better imo on the defensive end. I agree though he has looked surprisingly better then expected now in a couple games. After the Grizzlies game he went back to awful but then the last two he's been solid again. I'm not sure if he's just trying to make a full on change or just turn it on and off. Regardless, I just really love seeing he's even capable of this as far as from an effort standpoint. Gives me some hope going forward because he is obviously not going to always shoot lights out.

I've been noticing him and Russ clearly putting a bit more effort on the defensive end lately. You have to give Vogel some credit as well if he has Melo not being a liability by seasons end because a lot of coaches have tried...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject:

We got Olympics Melo boys and girls.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Shots that he would not be getting anywhere else except in the Olympics. Is this what it takes to bring out something closer to Olympic Melo? I never thought it would happen after it didn’t work out with the Rockets, but this is really interesting.

And someone else just mentioned Olympic Melo before I did.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 8 of 21
Jump to: