Final Worries ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Final Worries ?

I’m wondering if there is an enough speed in the starting line-up to fully compete. On the bench side, Wood and Reddish seem problematic. And, not having another (speedy) playmaking guard, may spell trouble? Look forward to Hachimura to become consistent. (He is our point maker at this point off the bench.)
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Maaaan!!! I understand this thread! I was thinking the same. Normally by now my rose colored Laker glasses have convinced me that we’re gonna win 74 games and break the record including a 34 game win streak. But I'm actually scared at this point on the eve of this season’s opener.

I feel good about Dlo/AR and have hopes that LBJ/AD can put together a reasonably decent volume of games. The fast pace may have something to do with the missed games so far in the past so can we be effective if we slow it down a little? The improved 3pt shooting should allow for that better half court success and perhaps keeps us healthier. I’m also ok counting on Rui/Vin to lean more toward their post season play than regressing to their reg season production.

That’s only 6 tho and we need at least 8. Can we get by without a 4th guard? Can Prince step up? Did Van fix his offense? Anything from Wood/Hayes/Cam/MaxC would be a bonus.

Scared 😱
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject:

we wont be as good as we were after the trade but we wont be as dismal as we were to start last season.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject:

98-0, baby!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
we wont be as good as we were after the trade but we wont be as dismal as we were to start last season.

I can agree with that. The beginning schedule is tough again this upcoming season but the overall schedule will be tougher than it was after the last trade deadline. I worry less about the makeup of the Lakers than I do about the development of some of the teams who were in the cellar the past 3-4 years. There will be young teams moving toward playoff contention and the question is, which recently established teams will be moving away from playoff contention?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I was wondering about that. Why do you think we won’t be as good? Here’s what I’ve tried to convince myself of:

-We have 6 of 9 that contributed to the ascension from 13th to 7th and then to the WCF in AD/Rui/LBJ/Van/AR/Dlo. Since LBJ/Dlo missed a good chunk of the reg season after the trade deadline, I’m hoping they play a larger overall percentage of total games this year than the percentage of games they played during that time after the deadline to make up for the schedule being considered easy after the trades to maintain a similar win rate.

-We’re missing contributors Scho/TBjr/Weny but adequately replaced them with Vin/TaP/Hay so hopefully that helps maintain the win rate the team had after the trades.

-LW4/Beas didn’t really contribute significantly to the win rate after the trades or in the post season except for a couple games. I’m hoping Vin’s better post season play over Shro makes up for the lost input from LW4/Beas.

-Hayes may not provide much better raw input than Weny but we needed a back up C and Weny was just too light weight and not tall enough. Hayes should have a better impact wether the stats show it or not due to better effectiveness in the area of need at back up C.

Expectations I hope are real: AD/LBJ continue to be who they are but healthier versions. Better overall impact at back up PG from Vin, better overall impact at back up C from Hayes, plus improvements from Dlo/AR/Van/Rui = a Laker team that can at least be on the level of last year’s team after the trade. If either of MaxC/TaP/Cam/Woo become a valuable contributor perhaps we can be even better than last year.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I was wondering about that. Why do you think we won’t be as good? Here’s what I’ve tried to convince myself of:

-We have 6 of 9 that contributed to the ascension from 13th to 7th and then to the WCF in AD/Rui/LBJ/Van/AR/Dlo. Since LBJ/Dlo missed a good chunk of the reg season after the trade deadline, I’m hoping they play a larger overall percentage of total games this year than the percentage of games they played during that time after the deadline to make up for the schedule being considered easy after the trades to maintain a similar win rate.

-We’re missing contributors Scho/TBjr/Weny but adequately replaced them with Vin/TaP/Hay so hopefully that helps maintain the win rate the team had after the trades.

-LW4/Beas didn’t really contribute significantly to the win rate after the trades or in the post season except for a couple games. I’m hoping Vin’s better post season play over Shro makes up for the lost input from LW4/Beas.

-Hayes may not provide much better raw input than Weny but we needed a back up C and Weny was just too light weight and not tall enough. Hayes should have a better impact wether the stats show it or not due to better effectiveness in the area of need at back up C.

Expectations I hope are real: AD/LBJ continue to be who they are but healthier versions. Better overall impact at back up PG from Vin, better overall impact at back up C from Hayes, plus improvements from Dlo/AR/Van/Rui = a Laker team that can at least be on the level of last year’s team after the trade. If either of MaxC/TaP/Cam/Woo become a valuable contributor perhaps we can be even better than last year.

Perimeter play (Shooting and Defense) were the big issues when we got swept. We've improved on both except for direct point of attack d on screens with DS.

If we can let go of drop coverage (which Denver feasts on and only Dennis was excellent at) we should fair better if we meet up in similar circumstances.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

The schedule was easy. Plus to no fault of ours we had the perfect runway going into playoffs and match-ups in playoffs.

But it’s 0-0. Let’s get it.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Halflife wrote:

The schedule was easy. Plus to no fault of ours we had the perfect runway going into playoffs and match-ups in playoffs.

But it’s 0-0. Let’s get it.

Yes, the schedule was easy after the trades but the Lakers did what they did after the trades mostly without LBJ and several games without Dlo plus they had no back up C. If LBJ/Dlo play more this season than they did then could it produce similar results even with a tougher schedule? Vin/TaP/Hayes have to match Shro/TBjr/Weny too. Does it look doable? Perhaps probable? Can’t tell if I’m in denial or not lol!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The absolute obvious worry that should on everyone’s mind is the real possibility we end up starting the season 2-7 or 3-9
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The absolute obvious worry that should on everyone’s mind is the real possibility we end up starting the season 2-7 or 3-9

There's no excuse for the Lakers to struggle that much considering 2 of the Lakers greatest strengths are supposed to be depth and continuity. LeBron and AD aren't going to be any healthier than they are at the beginning the season before wear and tear happens.

I know the schedule is tough, but the Lakers should be better than that if they're a good team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

There's no excuse for the Lakers to struggle that much considering 2 of the Lakers greatest strengths are supposed to be depth and continuity. LeBron and AD aren't going to be any healthier than they are at the beginning the season before wear and tear happens.

I know the schedule is tough, but the Lakers should be better than that if they're a good team.

I don’t think you guys realize how much the WC has gotten better
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Haha, I stopped by to create a "Hopes 'n Dreams" thread for the season, but a "Final Worries" thread is keeping it real.

My greatest fear is a plague of injury issues striking the team, primarily to AD and/or Lebron. After them, hopefully we have a healthy season for our top eight players. All of my other fears are below in order of concern:

1)
Ham is competent enough in his offensive and defensive schemes for us to have a chance to win it all. There are two concerns I have with him, the biggest of which is his history of using small ball waaaaay too often, and to our detriment since it greatly affects our ability to defend consistently well as a unit, and it really decreases our ability to crash the boards. Poor defense + weak rebounding = no ring.

The pre-season rotations were a lot better, so despite his confusing statements about the issue a few weeks ago (a bunch of guards and Lebron at center?!?!), I'll be cautiously optimistic).

2)
AD's attitude to impose his will on the court (on both sides) comes and goes for no good, apparent reason. When it leaves us, it seems to be gone for quite awhile. We have no chance to get through a brutal Western Conference without him believing he is the best player on both sides of the court, and then acting like it.

3)
We still need a mobile center or legitimate size/girth to defensively battle the Jokics and Embiids of the league. Maaaaaaaaybe AD thinks he is strong enough this season for the job, but he was bounced around like a rag puppy in the WCF last season.

I still want a genuine replacement for what D12 did in 2020, and Wood/Hayes are just too skinny. No, there isn't a back up center that can stop opponents like that, but let's at least sign someone to slow them down and make them work a bit harder. Do it, Rob!!!!!!

4)
My second complaint about coach Ham is also a backhanded complaint bout Lebron. Will someone please convince Lebron not to be one of the top two 3PA players on the team this season. PLEASE!?

There is no logical reason at all for him to throw up so many three pointers per game... he's not good at it, and we have more real three point shooters now than we've had in eons. Ham is the coach, so I'll blame him as much as Lebron if this unforced error continues all season long.

~~~~~

That's enough to worry about on the last day of the off-season. Let's go Lakers!!!!
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject:

HAM HAM

He has even shown this preseason that he doesn’t know how to fully utilized a stacked roster.

He is pretty clueless.

There is no point putting out a lineup with no creator.

But he keeps doing it.

The dude is a meathead.
Even though it is just preseason game.
But why we wasting it to play lineup that shouldn’t see the light of day in the regular season.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Ham and injuries is my worry. I'm really hoping for good health.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject:

We're on the best position in the beginning of the season in a long long time, even better than 2019-20. For those who don't remember, we had a roster assembled with leftovers after the Kawhi debacle, lost Cousins, had to bring a washed Howard... things got on track quickly with a great run in November, but before the first tip off, we were not that optimistic.

Does it mean it will go the same way? No, but I don't see major flaws and there are many upside possibilities. Also, I see a lot of tradable assets to help improve the team until February. Until then, we'll see what improvements are needed.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:39 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
had to bring a washed Howard...

Yikes https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu5fZ4qJ4UK/
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:07 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Yup. Puts us around the 6th seed? I’d say that’s fair.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
HAM HAM

He has even shown this preseason that he doesn’t know how to fully utilized a stacked roster.

He is pretty clueless.

There is no point putting out a lineup with no creator.

But he keeps doing it.

The dude is a meathead.
Even though it is just preseason game.
But why we wasting it to play lineup that shouldn’t see the light of day in the regular season.

Which PG was he supposed to play? Gabe and JHS were injured. Pippen just got cut. Unless you wanted D'lo/Reaves/LeBron to play 4 quarters in a preseason game
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject:

Final(s) worries…that we could potentially have only one Finals appearance during a 5 year win-dow with a Bron-AD featured team.

2nd Apron trade restrictions kick in after this season, so the trade deadline is going to be really interesting this year. Hope we’re proactive cause this is quite literally the last shot at teams constructing a foundational core before the new CBA makes it that much more prohibitive in doing so.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Final(s) worries…that we could potentially have only one Finals appearance during a 5 year win-dow with a Bron-AD featured team.

I think that is likely. Not so much because the Lakers are lacking but as I posted before, because other West teams will improve. Some other teams have stars that are more in their primes and reliable than Lebron and AD. I think that both the Lakers and Warriors are in the same boat, good teams with their stars having their best days behind them.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject:

^Yep, our direct competition has made moves, tax be damned. Let’s see if those moves result in a prolonged playoff run, but imho we still one move away and the tax should be damned if they claim they in win-now mode.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I’m worried we have too many players who came here expecting to play and at least 2 could be primarily glued to the bench. I hope those players maintain a good attitude and don’t poison the locker room.

I’m also worried about new players not being trusted after an early cold shooting streak and getting shut out of the crunch time offense.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I’m worried we have too many players who came here expecting to play and at least 2 could be primarily glued to the bench. I hope those players maintain a good attitude and don’t poison the locker room.

I’m also worried about new players not being trusted after an early cold shooting streak and getting shut out of the crunch time offense.

I see Hayes/Wood competing with each other to put the other in that category expecting to play that could get glued to the bench. Reddish/Prince too could fall into that group as well but Prince seems to have never been in the the “at risk” group with high expectations, a strong preseason, and fan support that will likely give him more leeway. Hopefully Vincent won’t be there either or we’re in trouble.

I think we’re looking at Wood/Cam as the likely candidates to fall out of rotation first but of course…should go without saying…no one knows, it’s speculation and only time will tell.

I’m predicting these will be the 8 most relied on to win.

AD/Hayes
LBJ/Rui
Van
AR
Dlo/Vin
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject:

New topic, so I'll say what I've been saying since the Lakers lost in the playoffs:

It's hard to believe in a team that fundamentally isn't that different from a team that got swept in the WCF, especially when the league got significantly better from last season.

I think the Suns and Bucks are better than the Nuggets, with the Celtics joining that group if Porzingis gets good injury luck.

The Lakers need a bigger difference maker behind LeBron and AD than Austin Reaves and D'Angelo Russell. It's not that those players are bad, but they're not good enough support for the 2023/2024 versions of LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

Depth gets you regular season wins, not rings. The Lakers need to navigate improving the team enough to get to the top tier while having enough depth to get through the regular season.

I'm ok with the Lakers not doing anything up to this point because:

A: Depth makes the Lakers a better regular season team.

B: It was hard to make any moves when all the guys were free agents. Sign-and-trades are hard to put together.

But, a big trade has to happen at some point.

I honestly don't think there's anything the Lakers can do to convince me otherwise. They could have the best record in the NBA at the trade deadline, but the regular season is just a different beast from the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: