AUSTIN REAVES (four-year, $56 million Early Bird maximum contract)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Failing to sign Reaves to a 3 year deal at the Min is going to cost the Lakers real money……of its going to cost them a good player. What’s inexplicable is that they had the space to do it after only signing Nunn to part of the tMLE. It could have been non-guaranteed. They decided not to do it though.

I mean it seems most GMs understand this, except Rob. The laundry lists of how he loses the GM battles at the margins is growing by the minute. This is another one of them. I think he will get offers in the AC range, and history may repeat (emphasis on REPEATer tax) itself.

Yeah, what makes it even worse is that you can extend a contract after its second anniversary. So they could have signed Reaves this summer while still having him at the minimum next year (basically what the clips did with Mann). In the long run that might even be better for the player because the team invests in their long term role and development. Who knows where Reaves will be playing next year? He could get Huerter money and LA walks.

They made the same mistake with THT and now Max (though the case Rob could make is that they needed the full tMLE for Walker. But again, that’s because they didn’t want to give a player the second year. Geesh, our ownership and GM are bad with money.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Failing to sign Reaves to a 3 year deal at the Min is going to cost the Lakers real money……of its going to cost them a good player. What’s inexplicable is that they had the space to do it after only signing Nunn to part of the tMLE. It could have been non-guaranteed. They decided not to do it though.

That's what happens when your GM sucks
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

It pisses me the (bleep) off when other GMs do that very simple thing with 2nd round picks/undrafted rookies. Even the Knicks have that common sense signing Jericho Sims to a 3 year, two way contract.

This front office (bleep) kills me with its inept decisions that any backseat GM here can do better on.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
danzag wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

It pisses me the (bleep) off when other GMs do that very simple thing with 2nd round picks/undrafted rookies. Even the Knicks have that common sense signing Jericho Sims to a 3 year, two way contract.

This front office (bleep) kills me with its inept decisions that any backseat GM here can do better on.

Yep. We all knew the undrafted kid would be good.
Glad he's balling right now.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject:

The kid played a smart, solid all-around game last night! His treys were all clutch. He even looked good running the point some in this one.

Stats: (33 Min)
15 points (5-8 FG / 3-4 3FG, 2-3 FT), 1 RB, 3 Ast, 1 TO, 2 fouls, (+20).
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
The kid played a smart, solid all-around game last night! His treys were all clutch. He even looked good running the point some in this one.

Stats: (33 Min)
15 points (5-8 FG / 3-4 3FG, 2-3 FT), 1 RB, 3 Ast, 1 TO, 2 fouls, (+20).

1.0/2.8 3s @ 36% for the year.
I'll take that.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I mean it seems most GMs understand this, except Rob. The laundry lists of how he loses the GM battles at the margins is growing by the minute. This is another one of them. I think he will get offers in the AC range, and history may repeat (emphasis on REPEATer tax) itself.

Yeah, what makes it even worse is that you can extend a contract after its second anniversary. So they could have signed Reaves this summer while still having him at the minimum next year (basically what the clips did with Mann). In the long run that might even be better for the player because the team invests in their long term role and development. Who knows where Reaves will be playing next year? He could get Huerter money and LA walks.

They made the same mistake with THT and now Max (though the case Rob could make is that they needed the full tMLE for Walker. But again, that’s because they didn’t want to give a player the second year. Geesh, our ownership and GM are bad with money.

The Lakers GM has continually made mistakes and got rewarded with a 4 year extension...makes no sense.

Walker/Reeves/TBjr all should have been signed for next year...like Damien Jones. I would have liked for Bryant and Schroeder to have signed for 2 years as well due to their vet minimum amount but I suspect they would have not agreed because they would believe they could do what Monk did...play well enough in one year to get a bigger payday the next.

A one year vet min deal does nothing for the team.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject:

This kid will be much better next season.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject:

This guy has been a blessing, even better than Caruso was in his second year and Reaves has a higher ceiling....!
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
This guy has been a blessing, even better than Caruso was in his second year and Reaves has a higher ceiling....!

He's better then Caruso offensively already imo but defensively he still has a ways to go obviously even though I see very solid potential on that side of the ball as well.

He has that same intangible skill like Caruso though where he just always knows where to be and rarely makes low bbiq kind of plays. The exact kind of role player you want especially since we let so many "solid" role players go over the last couple of years.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject:

It looks like (at least right now) Reaves has improved his 3-point shooting. Could he become one of those 3-and-D wings we badly need?

His positionally D may need improvement, but he seems good at getting steals and deflections and instinctively knowing when and how to make those plays.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

He's better then Caruso offensively already imo but defensively he still has a ways to go obviously even though I see very solid potential on that side of the ball as well.

He has that same intangible skill like Caruso though where he just always knows where to be and rarely makes low bbiq kind of plays. The exact kind of role player you want especially since we let so many "solid" role players go over the last couple of years.

Agree.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:09 am    Post subject:

He needs to be starting.

AD/thomas
Lebron/gabriel
Walker/brown
Reaves/Christie
Shroder/Westbrook

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:49 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
He needs to be starting.

AD/thomas
Lebron/gabriel
Walker/brown
Reaves/Christie
Shroder/Westbrook

I really don't like the idea of Walker starting at the 3, especially defensively.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject:

Can’t put hi on the bench the way he’s been playing. Besides we need shooting around AD and bron in the starting lineup.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

He has a great IQ, and I like him a ton, especially for how cheap a pick up he was. Definitely a rotation player. I just don't agree he is someone on Caruso level, because Caruso comparisons are bad IMO. Caruso is a above average athlete, with explosive ability and energy and can be an elite man defender, and great energy guy. Caruso can't shoot well. He cut well.

Reaves is a high IQ guy, who has a lot of good traits on offense where he can do a little bit of dribbling, pull ups, drives to the paint and cuts. His shot is also inconsistent. As an athlete by NBA stadards he's below average. Defensively he has a good motor, but when it comes down to switches and having to deal with situations where speed and length is required, he's completely outmatched.

The Caruso comparisons need to end, IMO. He's his own guy, and can be a solid NBA rotation player in the NBA. The only reason we value him more, is that the rest of this roster's role players have sucked the last 2 years. Most guys from last year's team are out of the league. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current role guys are out of the league next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
He has a great IQ, and I like him a ton, especially for how cheap a pick up he was. Definitely a rotation player. I just don't agree he is someone on Caruso level, because Caruso comparisons are bad IMO. Caruso is a above average athlete, with explosive ability and energy and can be an elite man defender, and great energy guy. Caruso can't shoot well. He cut well.

Reaves is a high IQ guy, who has a lot of good traits on offense where he can do a little bit of dribbling, pull ups, drives to the paint and cuts. His shot is also inconsistent. As an athlete by NBA stadards he's below average. Defensively he has a good motor, but when it comes down to switches and having to deal with situations where speed and length is required, he's completely outmatched.

The Caruso comparisons need to end, IMO. He's his own guy, and can be a solid NBA rotation player in the NBA. The only reason we value him more, is that the rest of this roster's role players have sucked the last 2 years. Most guys from last year's team are out of the league. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current role guys are out of the league next year.

Danny Ainge or D.Fish comp?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Most guys from last year's team are out of the league. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the current role guys are out of the league next year.

Sad But TRUE!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
He needs to be starting.

AD/thomas
Lebron/gabriel
Walker/brown
Reaves/Christie
Shroder/Westbrook

I really don't like the idea of Walker starting at the 3, especially defensively.

IMO, Beverly and Nunn should be packaged together for a big. Then run this:

_______, Bryant
AD, Gabriel, JTA
LeBron, Brown Jr
Walker, Reaves
Dennis, Russ

With a lot of AD, LeBron, Brown Jr, Walker and Reaves closing games
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
He needs to be starting.

AD/thomas
Lebron/gabriel
Walker/brown
Reaves/Christie
Shroder/Westbrook

Quite simply, if Reaves is starting, LeBron needs to come off it and go back to the 3.

However if Schroeder returns and is well enough, he may wind up the starter for defensive reasons and then we'd look like this.

Starters:
Dennis Schroeder
Lonnie Walker IV
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Thomas Bryant

Bench:
Russell Westbrook / Kendrick Nunn
Austin Reaves / Pat Bev
Troy Brown / Matt Ryan / Max Christie
Wenyen Gabriel / Cole Swider
Damian Jones

That's how we should run it if we're finally healthy and get Schroeder and T. Bryant back.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Danny Ainge, but likable
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
governator wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Danny Ainge, but likable

The original Grayson Allen, he threw basketball at Olajuwon head inbounding in a playoff game lol (or was it mario ellie)
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
He needs to be starting.

AD/thomas
Lebron/gabriel
Walker/brown
Reaves/Christie
Shroder/Westbrook

I understand the optimism and I'm pleasantly surprised with Reeves' play...glad to look as if I was wrong about his play this season...but we won't be putting Walker in a position to succeed at 6'4" playing SF. It looks as if the team would be more successful starting a bigger 6'6" TBjr at SF with Walker as the starting SG. Reeves can get starter minutes off the bench as the back-up SG and some run at PG. Forcing him in the starting line-up doesn't appear to be the best use of resources on the team.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Led the game in minutes, +/-, 16/6/4, no turnovers.

Post game presser w/ AD.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Playing really well.
He's such a good connector.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 37 of 178
Jump to: