AUSTIN REAVES (four-year, $56 million Early Bird maximum contract)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Ehh, solid offense production(in league where offense is at an all-time high) while being a sieve on defense isn't that valuable.

Upside? The guy turns 26 in a few months.

What elite skills does this guy have that possesses anyone to think he'll be much more than he already is?

Truth be told, a part of me thinks Schroder would've helped this team more than AR did this season.

Undrafted 3rd yr player with mle salary but the expectation is for him to be 3rd star on this team 😂
Zillethai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
Ehh, solid offense production(in league where offense is at an all-time high) while being a sieve on defense isn't that valuable.

What elite skills does this guy have that possesses anyone to think he'll be much more than he already is?

Truth be told, a part of me thinks Schroder would've helped this team more than AR did this season.

Bench AR. Give Max his minutes. When Vando comes back, give Vando that spot permanently.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

Undrafted 3rd yr player with mle salary but the expectation is for him to be 3rd star on this team 😂

With how this team is constructed, yes. The Lakers don't have an abundance of talent outside of LeBron and AD.

Considering how the Lakers didn't entertain trading him for Dejounte and how he has to be the centerpiece in a star trade they're going after this off-season, it seems like the Lakers had bigger expectations too.

He surpassed expectations by being on NBA roster, but he's not much more than that. He's a role player with little upside.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

With how this team is constructed, yes. The Lakers don't have an abundance of talent outside of LeBron and AD.

Considering how the Lakers didn't entertain trading him for Dejounte and how he has to be the centerpiece in a star trade they're going after this off-season, it seems like the Lakers had bigger expectations too.

He surpassed expectations by being on NBA roster, but he's not much more than that. He's a role player with little upside.

expecting MLE player to be 3rd star
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

Love AR but I think that was the expectation this summer, that he was ‘under paid’ aka a good contract and that he will make that leap to all-star fringe like a young Mike Conley type. He’s been ok, still outplaying his contract but expectations are lower now
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

Love AR but I think that was the expectation this summer, that he was ‘under paid’ aka a good contract and that he will make that leap to all-star fringe like a young Mike Conley type. He’s been ok, still outplaying his contract but expectations are lower now

It was the expectation from unreasonable people maybe. How the hell is he supposed to score more than 16 a game playing along side Lebron, Davis and Russell?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

Expectations from who?
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

Expectations from who?

LG
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

This. This was a prevailing thought after his postseason run.

I personally never thought he was going to get much better than that, but he's regressed from that and has turned into a legitimately bad defender as well.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

I personally never thought he was going to get much better than that, but he's regressed from that and has turned into a legitimately bad defender as well.

you never thought he was going to get much better but you are still expecting him to be the 3rd star?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject:

No AD
No Bron
Kicked the Celtics in the nuts and won the game
Y'all got no loyalty

How bad does the league officiating have to get?
What was that challenge last game..who was it off of?
They reviewed it and Austin was CLEARLY fouled causing him to lose the ball
They reviewed a d only gave the ball to the Kings..in our home arena
The foul caused the turnover and they saw it in front of their six 👀👀👀 on camera in slow motion and didn't even (bleep) call it

Some real 🐟 💩!!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

you never thought he was going to get much better but you are still expecting him to be the 3rd star?

I honestly thought he’d be doing what DLo is doing now
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

DLO and Reaves should be replaced during the offseason.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

reaves is a quality backup and spark plug. If an upgrade is available for him then yes but DLO has to go. Hopefully he has some suitors willing to offer more.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
zambia wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:
governator wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

reaves is a quality backup and spark plug. If an upgrade is available for him then yes but DLO has to go. Hopefully he has some suitors willing to offer more.

Seems to be quality whether he starts or comes off the bench. That's a rare trait in today's players.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject:

62% TS% = very good scoring efficiency
24% assist rate = huge spike from last year (14%)

His offense has been great, but he only gets 11 attempts per game. Lakers also ran garbage offense beginning of the season that was ISO/freelance heavy. Like DLO, he functions much better in a structured offense (which we've been seeing more of)

Since the ASB: 52% from the field, 43% from 3

He's splitting a role with DLO. Put him with a Gabe Vincent time to be the POA defender and put the ball in his hands more, no doubt in my mind he averages 20 and 9.

It's 2024 and people are still freaking out over counting stats. And as others have pointed out, he's making MLE money.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

His offense has been great, but he only gets 11 attempts per game. Lakers also ran garbage offense beginning of the season that was ISO/freelance heavy. Like DLO, he functions much better in a structured offense (which we've been seeing more of)

He's splitting a role with DLO. Put him with a Gabe Vincent time to be the POA defender and put the ball in his hands more, no doubt in my mind he averages 20 and 9.

It's 2024 and people are still freaking out over counting stats. And as others have pointed out, he's making MLE money.

KCP would have been amazing to slot next to either AR or Dlo.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

62% is not just "very good". It puts him at the top of the league for all guards. Luka is number 1 for PGs at 62.5 for reference. Steph is 61.8.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:37 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

62% is not just "very good". It puts him at the top of the league for all guards. Luka is number 1 for PGs at 62.5 for reference. Steph is 61.8.

It's definitely elite at the volume Steph and Luka shoot, not to mention at the difficulty they shoot. Those are often contested shots.

Still, it's a very good number for Reaves. The guys who think Reaves has been "disappointing" must think there's an infinite number of possessions in basketball and Reaves should be adding 25 ppg to the team.

Really, it seems to the same posters complaining that Reaves, Rui and (earlier in the season) DLO have all been disappointments. The entire starting lineup should be averaging 20+ ppg, apparently.

Here are the only teams with 3 20+ ppg scorers

Boston (Tatum 26.9, Brown 22.8, Porzingis 20.4 = 70 ppg)
Miami (Butler 21.7, Herro 20.8, Bam 19.9 -- we'll round up = 63 ppg)

Charlotte has 3 technically (Ball, Rozier, Bridges) but Ball has only played 22 games and Rozier only played 30 and then got traded.

No teams in the West have them. For the counting numbers guys, here are the points each top western team gets from their top 3 scorers.

DAL (76)
PHO (73)
LAL (68)
OKC (66)
DEN (63)
LAC (63)
SAC (63)
MIN (62)
NOP (61)

That Laker total includes DLO--Reaves is the #4 scorer. Worth nothing here that Reaves (15.8 ppg) averages less than 1 ppg than Michael Porter Jr (16.6) and does it on 2 less attempts per game. That's 3 points less than Bradley Beal averages (18.4 ppg) on 3 less attempts per game. So he's basically producing at the level of the TRUE NUMBER 3s of two top offenses, and with greater efficiency. His playmaking is a tick higher than Beal's while blowing MPJ's out of the water.

Is he a better player than either of them? I'm not arguing that--only that he's producing at pretty close to their level at a fraction of the cost. This idea that he has been a disappointment is silly and for guys who don't understand what they're seeing when they watch basketball (assuming they watch it) and can only understand old school counting numbers.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

It's definitely elite at the volume Steph and Luka shoot, not to mention at the difficulty they shoot. Those are often contested shots.

Still, it's a very good number for Reaves. The guys who think Reaves has been "disappointing" must think there's an infinite number of possessions in basketball and Reaves should be adding 25 ppg to the team.

Really, it seems to the same posters complaining that Reaves, Rui and (earlier in the season) DLO have all been disappointments. The entire starting lineup should be averaging 20+ ppg, apparently.

Charlotte has 3 technically (Ball, Rozier, Bridges) but Ball has only played 22 games and Rozier only played 30 and then got traded.

No teams in the West have them. For the counting numbers guys, here are the points each top western team gets from their top 3 scorers.

DAL (76)
PHO (73)
LAL (68)
OKC (66)
DEN (63)
LAC (63)
SAC (63)
MIN (62)
NOP (61)

That Laker total includes DLO--Reaves is the #4 scorer. Worth nothing here that Reaves (15.8 ppg) averages less than 1 ppg than Michael Porter Jr (16.6) and does it on 2 less attempts per game. That's 3 points less than Bradley Beal averages (18.4 ppg) on 3 less attempts per game. So he's basically producing at the level of the TRUE NUMBER 3s of two top offenses, and with greater efficiency. His playmaking is a tick higher than Beal's while blowing MPJ's out of the water.

Is he a better player than either of them? I'm not arguing that--only that he's producing at pretty close to their level at a fraction of the cost. This idea that he has been a disappointment is silly and for guys who don't understand what they're seeing when they watch basketball (assuming they watch it) and can only understand old school counting numbers.

Agree across the board. You didn't even mention his 12.6 million salary as compared to some of those other players. People on LG are cray!
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
defense wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

DAL (76)
PHO (73)
LAL (68)
OKC (66)
DEN (63)
LAC (63)
SAC (63)
MIN (62)
NOP (61)

Agree across the board. You didn't even mention his 12.6 million salary as compared to some of those other players. People on LG are cray!

And he rise over the occasion when it matters. People should be more worried on players that can’t go to another gear when physically and defense becomes imperative.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
This idea that he has been a disappointment is silly and for guys who don't understand what they're seeing when they watch basketball (assuming they watch it) and can only understand old school counting numbers.

Can't really make a statement like this when you didn't mention defense at all which is half the game and where he's been a big disappointment outside of a few moments. That said, he's been good enough offensively and I'd prefer to see him off the bench to increase his offensive responsibility and reduce his defensive liability. It seems easy to understand that his defense neutralizes his offensive impact on many nights.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
This idea that he has been a disappointment is silly and for guys who don't understand what they're seeing when they watch basketball (assuming they watch it) and can only understand old school counting numbers.

Can't really make a statement like this when you didn't mention defense at all which is where he's been a big disappointment outside of a few moments. That said, he's been good enough offensively and I'd prefer to see him off the bench to increase his offensive responsibility and reduce his defensive liability.

I don't think benching a player you rely on offensively is a good solution. He was technically a "bench" player last postseason too, but ended up being the only guy who could create offense against a playoff defense other than LeBron. You have like a 6 man core rotation in the playoffs, and Austin is absolutely one of those 6, so you might as well get as many reps with him on both sides of the bal. Have him learn his teammate's positioning and tendencies. Defense is rarely 1-on-1 anyway, so the benefit of Austin being a main squad player greatly outweighs the incremental defensive advantage he might have against a bench player (who will likely be an iso scoring gunner or a starter anyway).

Reminder: this is just Austin's third year as a pro.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
manlisten wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Can't really make a statement like this when you didn't mention defense at all which is where he's been a big disappointment outside of a few moments. That said, he's been good enough offensively and I'd prefer to see him off the bench to increase his offensive responsibility and reduce his defensive liability.

I don't think benching a player you rely on offensively is a good solution. He was technically a "bench" player last postseason too, but ended up being the only guy who could create offense against a playoff defense other than LeBron. You have like a 6 man core rotation in the playoffs, and Austin is absolutely one of those 6, so you might as well get as many reps with him on both sides of the bal. Have him learn his teammate's positioning and tendencies. Defense is rarely 1-on-1 anyway, so the benefit of Austin being a main squad player greatly outweighs the incremental defensive advantage he might have against a bench player (who will likely be an iso scoring gunner or a starter anyway).

It wouldn't be an incremental difference given that Austin has been among the league's worst defenders this season. But it would also require an adequate replacement which might not be readily available. On this roster Austin might be the best option until Max hopefully develops. But I've never seen a team with two defensive liabilities in the backcourt win a championship and that will eventually rear its ugly head.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
levon wrote:
manlisten wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

It wouldn't be an incremental difference given that Austin has been among the league's worst defenders this season. But it would also require an adequate replacement which might not be readily available. On this roster Austin might be the best option until Max hopefully develops. But I've never seen a team with two defensive liabilities in the backcourt win a championship and that will eventually rear its ugly head.

You're right that this team won't win the title as currently constructed, but my point is that moving Austin to the bench is not the answer to his defensive issues given that he's going to be guarding kickass offensive players anyway. The starter-bench dichotomy is so negligible in the playoffs. Given this, what you wanna do is surround him with the best defenders you can and frankly, one of LeBron or DLo at all times on offense.

Another alternative is to trade him for a player with more two-way value.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 175 of 178
Jump to: