Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Leif wrote:
Now that we have Westbrook we can match salaries more easily when Dame wants out.

At this point I’d throw in Davis just to get rid of Russ
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

https://twitter.com/alexmregla/status/1451978301577175044?s=21

This video is about some nice sequences by Reaves, but Russ caught my eye with some defensive issues. As soon as Paul gets the ball below the 3pt line Russ turns his back on Bridges and completely loses sight of him. Bridges cuts and gets rebounding position. On the next play he has his back to Bridges again while Ayton has the ball on the baseline. Bridges cuts forcing Davis to rotate leaving the corner three wide open.

This is pretty consistent with what I’ve seen defensively so far from Russ. Once he thinks the ball is about to go up he abandons his defensive assignment and focuses on rebounding position. That’s neither good defensive nor good team rebounding technique. Coaches and players have to get in him about this.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook isn't gonna suck, but he also isn't gonna learn how to shoot or become good defensively. The question is can he contribute to what y'all are doing while sucking at both of those things?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook doesn't play defense. He let's guys with half his athleticism go right by him.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhylgz1uOA&t=4s

BBALLBREAKDOWN vid

Even if it will get better, I don't see how you can overcome some of these issues in the playoffs.

The top teams then will exploit these flaws severely.

You're right, I mean if the coach of the Birmingham Community Charter High School team can't see a way for the Lakers to overcome this, then case closed. Clearly teaching the triangle to a minor high school team and having a podcast makes him more knowledgable than an NBA coach. Coach Nick is not employed in the NBA only because it is beneath him, too easy. Might as well throw in the towel now...

Or, I don't know, maybe the Lakers can rely upon actual NBA professional coaches to figure it out? I'm pretty sure that Westbrook has actually played in the NBA Finals and that he has gone 7 games in the WCF, so I'm thinking these "severe" and "exploitable" flaws are not, in fact, that severe or exploitable with good coaching.

Everyone can see what the problems are. Acting like the Lakers can't fix it after 1 game is absurd. And the folks acting like Russ is a trash player who doesn't belong in the NBA are even more absurd. This vilification of Russ is reaching preposterous levels after 1 game. Y'all need to get yourselves some nice indica and chill...

You mean relying on the same coaching that couldn't make DS, Harrell and Drummond work for the reasons everyone else predicted based on their style of play? Lol

That's the point. The problems are so glaringly obvious and aren't something you can fix even a few months from now. Westbrook isn't going to become the shooter/defender to make this work well as the season goes on: history tells us otherwise.

He'll play better but the obvious flaws will still be there at the end of the season. Aside from health, how the lakers handle this by then will be important for their championship hopes.
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

This video is about some nice sequences by Reaves, but Russ caught my eye with some defensive issues. As soon as Paul gets the ball below the 3pt line Russ turns his back on Bridges and completely loses sight of him. Bridges cuts and gets rebounding position. On the next play he has his back to Bridges again while Ayton has the ball on the baseline. Bridges cuts forcing Davis to rotate leaving the corner three wide open.

This is pretty consistent with what I’ve seen defensively so far from Russ. Once he thinks the ball is about to go up he abandons his defensive assignment and focuses on rebounding position. That’s neither good defensive nor good team rebounding technique. Coaches and players have to get in him about this.

This is consistent with what he's been doing his whole career. He's always been a stat padder, a terrible defensive player, and a terrible shooter. Dude is literally the biggest fraud in NBA history with the whole "his motor never stops nonsense." People even have the gall to compare his intensity and will to win to Kobe's lol.

But like I said when the news of the trade broke, this is what happens when you hand the franchise over to your superstars. Lebron/AD are great players but they're terrible talent evaluators, the same thing happened with Drummond, but that was on a much lesser scale because we didn't really have much to lose.

The situation with Westbrook is completely different, because he's getting paid a ton of money, and the alternative would have been Hield/KCP/Caruso which would make us a much better team added to what we already have.

To all of you who called me a clipper fan for being critical of the move, thinking that he was gonna put on a Laker jersey and then magically everything was gonna change, good luck with that.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Intlakeshow wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

This is consistent with what he's been doing his whole career. He's always been a stat padder, a terrible defensive player, and a terrible shooter. Dude is literally the biggest fraud in NBA history with the whole "his motor never stops nonsense." People even have the gall to compare his intensity and will to win to Kobe's lol.

But like I said when the news of the trade broke, this is what happens when you hand the franchise over to your superstars. Lebron/AD are great players but they're terrible talent evaluators, the same thing happened with Drummond, but that was on a much lesser scale because we didn't really have much to lose.

The situation with Westbrook is completely different, because he's getting paid a ton of money, and the alternative would have been Hield/KCP/Caruso which would make us a much better team added to what we already have.

To all of you who called me a clipper fan for being critical of the move, thinking that he was gonna put on a Laker jersey and then magically everything was gonna change, good luck with that.

LOLs at stat padder. He’s done things never done and may never be done again. Zo was being celebrated for having a triple dub as was kg.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

He also doesn't fight through screens and is a terrible pick&roll defender.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Westbrook isn't gonna suck, but he also isn't gonna learn how to shoot or become good defensively. The question is can he contribute to what y'all are doing while sucking at both of those things?

I think he can, but it's going to take some work. This doesn't mean that it was a good trade or that I'm now a Westbrook fan. But I think that we can do a lot better than what we showed in the first two games.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

I think he can, but it's going to take some work. This doesn't mean that it was a good trade or that I'm now a Westbrook fan. But I think that we can do a lot better than what we showed in the first two games.

Be careful taking advice from the guy who has been on the wrong side of Harden choking in the playoffs the last decade.

Even now. He's telling you Westbrook sucks. Meanwhile Westbrook showed up the 1 NBA finals he and Harden played in. Meanwhile Harden ... Hardened (choked in historic fashion).

Even if I put the Bron finals choke job aside. Ask Dreamshake his thoughts on Golden State in the playoffs.

We've lost our first 2 regular season games because our best catch and shoot guy is ... I dunno. Austin Reaves? When we get some people back and get some floor spacing. And rattle off wins. He'll be M.I.A.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Westbrook doesn't play defense. He let's guys with half his athleticism go right by him.

Wasn’t he an elite defender earlier in his career?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject:

I am just amazed at his defense in the sense how bad it is. The last time I saw him play significantly in 2012 series against us, his defense was so good.

I am 100% sure this is not his defensive ability. He is just so bad at stopping the ball or staying on his man. It's purely an effort thing. It's not like Melo, where the footspeed is just not there.

AD and Bron need to have a talk with Russ about the D. The Lakers can only win a ring if Westbrook adopts a Vogel style D approach. Maybe we can sub in guys like Bradley (Or THT/Nunn when they come) and put Westbrook on the lesser threat, but that's copping out.

If he wants to win a ring, he needs to defend. He may pick it up slowly, but I am certain this is not his best effort on D at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject:

They would never do this, especially with a 40m+ player and a big name like Westbrook, but I think he would do better in a 6th man role. His best attributes are wasted playing with LBJ and then when LBJ sits they bring Rondo to play the PG and make Russ play off ball. Like what are we doing here?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Intlakeshow wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Quote:

LOLs at stat padder. He’s done things never done and may never be done again. Zo was being celebrated for having a triple dub as was kg.

Yet he's never won a single championship. Did he even get to the NBA Finals? Then you look at Lebron who's been to the NBA Finals literally almost his entire career. This is why you don't take the stats by its face value. Westbrick's triple doubles were amazing but they were done during the regular season against a lot of much weaker opponents. Lebron, however, put up those near triple double stat in the playoffs!! We all know playoffs are the real deal. Not the regular season. Playoffs is when the best teams would try their very best to win games. Nobody cares if you've won the most games or average a triple double in the regular season (at least not the knowledgeable people). People only care about playoff wins and championships.

MVP, triple doubles, DPOY, First Teams...they're all irrelevant IMO. The only things that matter are playoffs stats and finals MVP. Sleepwalk thru the regular season. Be good in the playoffs. That's what counts.

Westbrick might hold the Lakers back from even reaching the WCF again and then people are gonna blame it on other roleplayers. Already see it coming.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Be careful taking advice from the guy who has been on the wrong side of Harden choking in the playoffs the last decade.

Even now. He's telling you Westbrook sucks. Meanwhile Westbrook showed up the 1 NBA finals he and Harden played in. Meanwhile Harden ... Hardened (choked in historic fashion).

These days, I try to avoid message board drama like this.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
They would never do this, especially with a 40m+ player and a big name like Westbrook, but I think he would do better in a 6th man role. His best attributes are wasted playing with LBJ and then when LBJ sits they bring Rondo to play the PG and make Russ play off ball. Like what are we doing here?

I agree wholeheartedly with you. On both points, his role as 6th man and that they would never do it.

Trying to get him to fit in next to James is a wasted resource. He is playing passive and is miscast as a corner spot up player. That role was perfect for Green or KCP but Westbrook?

Westbrook is an All Star by being uptempo, aggressive and in all honesty out of control half the time. It works for him. Forcing him to be otherwise is silly. He will shine on the nights James takes off or as a sixth man IMO.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Yet he's never won a single championship. Did he even get to the NBA Finals?

When he had a team capable of doing it they ran into the Warriors. A young Westbrook averaged 27 points, 6.6 assists, 6.4 rebounds, 1 steal, and 0.4 blocks in 5 games en route to losing to the Miami Heat for Lebron's first title.

Quote:
MVP, triple doubles, DPOY, First Teams...they're all irrelevant IMO. The only things that matter are playoffs stats and finals MVP. Sleepwalk thru the regular season. Be good in the playoffs. That's what counts.

After Durant bolted to Golden State Westbrook never had a championship caliber team. He got them to the playoffs in the west for five straight seasons though. Career playoff numbers of 24.6, 7.9, 7.1, and 1.8 steals. In 2017 he averaged 37.4 points, 11.6 rebounds, 10.8 assists, and 2.4 steals in the playoffs.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
defense wrote:

Wasn’t he an elite defender earlier in his career?

No. If you go back and look at the metrics, he always rated as a below average to poor defender. Westbrook is one of those guys for whom the eyeball test can be misleading. He has an intense demeanor and makes mean faces. Over the years, I've seen a lot of people overrate defenders because of their apparent attitude. Anyway, someone else said that he doesn't seem to have a lot of lateral quickness. I've seen the same thing.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Yet he's never won a single championship. Did he even get to the NBA Finals?

When he had a team capable of doing it they ran into the Warriors. A young Westbrook averaged 27 points, 6.6 assists, 6.4 rebounds, 1 steal, and 0.4 blocks in 5 games en route to losing to the Miami Heat for Lebron's first title.

Quote:

After Durant bolted to Golden State Westbrook never had a championship caliber team. He got them to the playoffs in the west for five straight seasons though. Career playoff numbers of 24.6, 7.9, 7.1, and 1.8 steals. In 2017 he averaged 37.4 points, 11.6 rebounds, 10.8 assists, and 2.4 steals in the playoffs.

Cleveland was never a championship caliber team. They definitely are not right now. Yet Lebron got them a ring. It's easy to blame the team/others for your own ineptitude. Westbrick, at his peak, was a good player at best. Not a great player. Good players get playoff wins. Great players get championships.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

Okay, if we're going to kick around stats, let's paint the full picture. His career shooting percentage in the playoffs is .408, with .296 on threes. His career TS% in the payoffs is .508. In 2017, when he averaged 37.4 points per game, he took 30.4 shots per game and shot .388/.265. Westbrook averaged 14 FTAs per game, which salvaged his numbers. He also averaged 6.0 turnovers. OKC lost in five.

As I've said elsewhere, Westbrook is a floor-raiser. But we don't need him to raise our floor. We need him to be a different kind of player than what he is known for. We need him to be efficient and to exploit the openings created by all of the defensive attention on Lebron and Davis. We don't need him to chew up possessions or to fill up the stat sheet.

I think we can get there, but we're going to have some ugly times in the short run. Thankfully, we have a cupcake schedule coming up. But let's not kid ourselves about what we got in Westbrook. This is a project, not a plug-in.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Cleveland was never a championship caliber team. They definitely are not right now. Yet Lebron got them a ring. It's easy to blame the team/others for your own ineptitude. Westbrick, at his peak, was a good player at best. Not a great player. Good players get playoff wins. Great players get championships.

There's a difference between the Jordans, Shaqs, Kobes, Duncans, Lebrons, and Durants vs. everyone else. But even those guys don't win titles without a cast. There's a reason Lebron bolted to Miami, and Kobe demanded a trade to Pluto. Difference between the 2006 and 2008 Lakers is that the young players matured, and the talent improved. It wasn't that Kobe became a better player. He was given a better supporting cast which was capable of winning a title, where the 2006 and 2007 teams lacked the supporting cast.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
In 2017, when he averaged 37.4 points per game, he took 30.4 shots per game and shot .388/.265. Westbrook averaged 14 FTAs per game, which salvaged his numbers.

Do you know who his supporting cast was on that team?

A young Victor Oladipo was the second best player and averaged 15.9/4.3/2.6 in the regular season... But only the 10.8 points on 34.4% shooting in the playoffs. That was his #2. That would be like if Lebron's #2 was Kendrick Nunn.

The next best players were Steven Adams (11.3/7.7/1 in regular season and 8/6.8/1.8 in the playoffs), an aging Taj Gibson (9.8, 3.6) and Andre Roberson (11.6, 6.2).

They lost that series to a Rockets team that with Harden, Eric Gordon, Ariza, Beverly, Lou Williams, Ryan Andersion, Trez, and Clint Capela.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
In 2017, when he averaged 37.4 points per game, he took 30.4 shots per game and shot .388/.265. Westbrook averaged 14 FTAs per game, which salvaged his numbers.

Do you know who his supporting cast was on that team?

A young Victor Oladipo was the second best player and averaged 15.9/4.3/2.6 in the regular season... But only the 10.8 points on 34.4% shooting in the playoffs. That was his #2. That would be like if Lebron's #2 was Kendrick Nunn.

The next best players were Steven Adams (11.3/7.7/1 in regular season and 8/6.8/1.8 in the playoffs), an aging Taj Gibson (9.8, 3.6) and Andre Roberson (11.6, 6.2).

They lost that series to a Rockets team that with Harden, Eric Gordon, Ariza, Beverly, Lou Williams, Ryan Andersion, Trez, and Clint Capela.

Is this going to be the standard, one-size-fits-all excuse? If you are going to hold up that series as an example of how Westbrook excels in the playoffs (which is what you did), you can't turn around and say that the reason he sucked was his teammates.

You're also getting into the message board cliche of crapping on the teammates of whichever player you want to build up, while exaggerating the strength of the other team (Montrezl Harrell barely played for the Rockets in the playoffs, and Ryan Anderson was in a steep decline). Back in the day, I can remember hearing all about how great Lebron's teammates were in Cleveland (say, around '09) and how weak Kobe's teammates were. That sort of argument is a message board chestnut that never persuades anyone who isn't already a believer. In this case, it really doesn't explain why Westbrook shot .388 from the field.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Is this going to be the standard, one-size-fits-all excuse? If you are going to hold up that series as an example of how Westbrook excels in the playoffs (which is what you did), you can't turn around and say that the reason he sucked was his teammates.

No I was defending him against the guy who can't make a post without referring to him as "Westbrick". Nobody expected those Thunder teams to go anyplace. The only interesting thing about those teams were that Westbrook was putting up crazy numbers, but none of those teams won more than 49 games. They were good enough to make it into the playoffs but they weren't contenders.

On the players on those two teams, I just told you the OKC players stats. The #3 scorer on that team was Kanter who didn't play in the playoffs. The #2 scorer was a young Oladipo (at just under 16 points per game) who was awful in the playoffs. The rosters:

Harden: 29.1, 11.2, 8.1, 1.5, 0.5
Gordon: 16.2, 2.7, 2.5, 0.6
Lou Williams: 14.9, 3, 2.4
Ryan Anderson: 13.6, 4.6, 0.9 40.3% 3p
Clint Capela: 12.6, 8.1, 1.2, 1
Beverly: 9.5, 5.9, 4.2, 1.5
Trez: 9.1, 3.8, 1.1
Nene: 9.1, 4.2, 1.0

or

Westbrook: 31.6, 10.7, 10.4, 1.6, 0.4
Oladipo: 15.9, 4.3, 2.6, 1.2
Adams: 11.3, 7.7, 1.1, 1.1, 1.0
Taj: 9, 4.5, 0.7
Roberson: 6.6, 5.1, 1.2, 1, 1
Sabonis: 5.9, 3.6, 1.0
McDermott: 6.6, 2.2, 0.6
Ilyasova: 5, 5.3, 1
Grant: 5.4, 2.6, 1
Payne: 5.3, 2, 1.6

The Rockets were obviously the better team.

Your point about field goal percentage does have merit though. Maybe not on that team but on some of the other teams. Westbrook excels in the open court, before defenses are set where he can force the issue and take advantage of his athleticism. In the playoffs the pace tends to slow down, there's more half court sets and his efficiency drops significantly. And due to his lack of shooting he isn't a great off ball option.

His game has some serious holes. There's no debating that. But it's also not fair for people to judge him by not winning titles when the only year you could really make the argument that they had the talent to pull it off was 2012, but Harden was awful in the finals and the Heat were hungry after losing to Dallas the year before.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
No I was defending him against the guy who can't make a post without referring to him as "Westbrick". Nobody expected those Thunder teams to go anyplace. The only interesting thing about those teams were that Westbrook was putting up crazy numbers, but none of those teams won more than 49 games. They were good enough to make it into the playoffs but they weren't contenders.

Well, sure, I’ve commented on the constant juvenile references to “Westbrick.” Back in the day, we had to endure the KoMe crowd. There are probably others that I’ve managed to forget.

But my earlier point remains: We don’t need the floor-raising version of Westbrook. We don’t need the guy who puts up crazy numbers with low efficiency. We need a retooled version of Westbrook. What he did in the post-Durant era is not what we need.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 64 of 426
Jump to: