Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
I was watching old highlights of Russ vs. Last season.

He's still really fast and athletic.. But NOT as fast and athletic. When he was younger, he's was so ridiculous, he could usually pull a rabbit out of his a$$ and recover from a stupid decision... Now he can't. And we watched that all last season.

He has to SLOW DOWN and THINK! Especially with the ball in his hands. So careless! Oh yeah and how about at least try and play some defense? Thanks Brodie

Yup, he’s still pretty athletic….until you watch old tapes of him, then it’s obvious how much athleticism he’s lost. Westbrook 6-10 years ago was a freak of nature.

Similar to Bron, he still looks like moves decently for his age….until you watch him back in his prime. Prime Brons athleticism was from another planet….makes the one we got look like Kyle Anderson haha.

It’s too bad we don’t have the mid-late twenties versions of those 2 right now. We’d be demolishing the league

I remember the OKC version of Westbrook in the playoffs against us. Athletically speaking I have only one word for him back then: scary!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1559987025641476097

Brodie is nowhere to be seen in the schedule announcement. Whynot? 😬
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1559987025641476097

Brodie is nowhere to be seen in the schedule announcement. Whynot? 😬

Yup compared to last year where Russ was featured on the site. Like they scrubbed him clean off the site for this upcoming season.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
Right now he is not hall of fame material.

I in no way want Westbrook back this season, but he's 100% hall of fame material. The guy was a league MVP, top 75 of all time, nine time All-NBA (2x first teamer), who averaged a triple double four times, one time while averaging 31.6 points in the same season.

His problem is he's never been willing to adjust his game. And once his athleticism started fading his game has gone downhill quickly.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

With Russ signing with Schwartz/Excel Sports Management, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Cavs get involved in some way. Sexton is Klutch, but Excel has 3 guys rostered there (Love, Cedi, Rubio). Bron obviously has history with Kev & Cedi and Rubio can’t be traded till Dec 15th, so Sexton (on his QO)/Love/Cedi for Russ/1FRP could be an option if the FRP is partially protected or not. If both our FRPs are in play tho, they better be protected.

Rob and Koby have broken bread before (Nance/JC for IT/FRP), so there’s that aspect along with Excel possibly working out either a future deal for Russ to stay there or be bought out if not.

Detroit is also another team that has 4 Schwartz/Excel clientz and they used their cap space to acquire salaries along with draft compensation. They can’t fully absorb Russ’s deal into space (some combination of Olynyk, Burks, Noel, Kemba, Klutch klient Joseph) but that’s another team I would be looking at using Excel as a means to broker a deal.

We are limited, but not completely hopeless…at least not yet.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
laker50 wrote:
Right now he is not hall of fame material.

I in no way want Westbrook back this season, but he's 100% hall of fame material. The guy was a league MVP, top 75 of all time, nine time All-NBA (2x first teamer), who averaged a triple double four times, one time while averaging 31.6 points in the same season.

His problem is he's never been willing to adjust his game. And once his athleticism started fading his game has gone downhill quickly.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Keep working on your layup, Russ!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject:

It’s not discussed on here much so I’ll outline my thoughts on success for WB this season in the event he’s not traded.

I understand that for many of you the thought of WB playing on the Lakers this season is not one you want to entertain let alone accept. However, in the event our roster is the roster in front of us, I’ve outlined the three responsibilities I think that will be key for him to have any chance of success here.

1. Move without the ball.

Forget about the Lakers for a moment. For the rest of WB’s career, he will need to accept that he will never again be the leading many for a single other team in the NBA. To find minutes a - defender & - shooter, he will have to excel in other skills to find playing time.

Setting screens. Playing decoy. Most importantly, constantly moving without the basketball. He cannot stand around and become passive without the ball. This is his new life for the remainder of his career.

2. Situational defense

Westbrook will never be a plus defender. We will have to hide him from defensive roles too often. He cannot and will not play if he continues to gamble for steals when his defender passes him. He will have to be willing to concede long 2’s or allow drives and trust the defense behind him to protect the rim. He no longer can guard point guards with a quick first step but by proper preparation he can guard shooting guards who rely on their handle and or shooting prowess to create scoring opportunities. The key is not making any self inflicted wounds.

3. Discipline

We cannot have 4 turnovers a game. We also cannot repeat the sheer number of attempts at the rim that resulted in 0 points and WB on the ground. We cannot have yelling at the refs after missed baskets. These are mental errors on his part. If he has subsequent turnovers, we have to sit him.

Ham will have to shoot Russ straight and let him know that this could be the last year of his career if he continues to operate in this manner. His days of the main character are long gone. Time to adapt and become a + player, a good teammate & an example for others.

This would be my blueprint for what success with Russ looks like. I wouldn’t say he’s likely to hit all 3 or even 2. If he can’t hit one, we would have no choice but to pursue buyout immediately.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, a lot of those things are points that Vogel and other coaches have tried to have Russ do. But they ended up letting Russ be Russ because he is not changing his ways. It may take a Melo-like experience where Russ is out of the league for him to change his ways. He's a surefire 1st ballot HOFer and it's sad to see his career finish out this way.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

Next moves on you Rob.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Unfortunately, a lot of those things are points that Vogel and other coaches have tried to have Russ do. But they ended up letting Russ be Russ because he is not changing his ways. It may take a Melo-like experience where Russ is out of the league for him to change his ways. He's a surefire 1st ballot HOFer and it's sad to see his career finish out this way.

Yes totally agree. It's a shame because he was a Game 6 Klay away from possibly winning his first chip.

Feels like it's telling that he and Lebron haven't worked out once this summer. Seems like the league will push him out as soon as next offseason.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

Just dump this guy somewhere else
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes totally agree. It's a shame because he was a Game 6 Klay away from possibly winning his first chip.

Feels like it's telling that he and Lebron haven't worked out once this summer. Seems like the league will push him out as soon as next offseason.

He's been publicly on the trading block. No sign of him on Lakers social media and other advertisements.

For me, when Rob said that if Russ returned, he would be welcomed back with "open arms," that told me there was a lot of bad stuff happening behind the scenes. Why would an incumbent player have to be "welcomed back with open arms" if things were on good terms?

The second the Lakers can get a somewhat favorable deal to trade Russ they will. Hopefully we are closer to that moment now that the KD/Kyrie thing is done.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject:

You cannot fix Russ at this point. So thinking he can play off ball, or somehow turn into a good defender this late in his career isn't happening. He was that before the idiot brain trust traded for him.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Since we most likely would not trade him at this point, I would like to hear Ham's real plan for Brick. Frankly, I would just buy him out and not waste another game trying this or that. We've had enough trial and error tapes of him for the past two seasons already.

It's much better to give a 2-way player his roster spot because there's a slim chance we could find another Caruso quality player from that.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Welcome back.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Welcome back.

Welcoming “back” someone who hasn’t left? That’s strange.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Since we most likely would not trade him at this point, I would like to hear Ham's real plan for Brick. Frankly, I would just buy him out and not waste another game trying this or that. We've had enough trial and error tapes of him for the past two seasons already.

It's much better to give a 2-way player his roster spot because there's a slim chance we could find another Caruso quality player from that.

He’s only been here 1 year bro
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Even the lakers aren't that stupid to keep westbrook and beverly on the same team right?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject:

Bev is exactly what Ham wants in his PG. A 3/D player in the mold of Jrue.

First, I think Russ is going to be traded for sure.

Second, if Russ is still on the roster, I think Bev will win the starting PG spot from Russ. Russ is more "talented" than Bev, don't get me wrong, but Bev is without doubt the best FIT on the team.

Third, no way they let Bev/Russ be on the same team. They have a very long and deep rooted personal feud with each other. It's not the superficial Kobe v. Barnes kind of thing, but Bev did injure Russ and Russ did say some really deeply personal things about Bev. I cannot imagine that the Lakers want this chemistry bomb.
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject:

Today is the last day of him being a Laker!!!!!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

DD20045 wrote:
Today is the last day of him being a Laker!!!!!

Oh my sweet summer child…
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject:

Super humbling trade for Russ. Bev is in many ways who Russ needs to become in order to be a valuable piece on a contender. He's still electric with the ball in his hands, as evidenced by the post AS stretch with Washington, but that's a situation with different expectations.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject:

Run it back!

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1562812606653485058?s=21&t=3scw7nVYPkoqlwYv3zVrxQ
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject:

^^ I mean, Russ can still go off this season, but on a different team please
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 347, 348, 349 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 348 of 426
Jump to: