Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Missed most of the game because of start time but looks like he shot well and had a good all around game. I like the fact he only took one 3 pointer. His drives to the basket can sometimes end badly but still much better than his 3 point attempts.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject:

This was bound to happen. With all the talk from the media and him giving Woj an exclusive interview. The entire leak that coaching staff has been given full clearance to bench RW when need be.

Seems it's all fresh. We've seen this before. Play bad. Have a big media chatter about what's wrong. Lakers come back and win the next one. Then, fall back into the same losing habits and patterns.

This is a .500 RW team through and through. The only thing that will change is maybe, just maybe, AD and Stanley will bring enough defensive energy and activity on offense that the Lakers may get away with some of their flaws. If you've got a second superstar you can hide your weaknesses more.

The game changed when we subbed in Stanley, and he was able to defend on switches. Stanley switched sometimes 3 players on the perimeter. Then on offense he hit those corner 3s. Huge contrast to the spacing and versatility on BOTH ends vs Dwight. You just can't run RW and Dwight together with Lebron, IMO.

Outside of the fact that we had our usual bounce back after a bad loss game, 41 wins here we come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone else think that just by benching Russ we are a better team?

It’s incredible the stubbornness this organization has shown in not just admitting this was an awful trade and we should see how the team performs without him.

We are a .500 lottery team with him starting and taking away minutes from potentially guys who could contribute more. Why not try something different?

I guess Vogel will get fired and the next coach up might have some balls to just sit him.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:

It’s incredible the stubbornness this organization has shown in not just admitting this was an awful trade and we should see how the team performs without him.

We are a .500 lottery team with him starting and taking away minutes from potentially guys who could contribute more. Why not try something different?

I guess Vogel will get fired and the next coach up might have some balls to just sit him.

It’s not going to help because he sucks with bench too, you just cut his minutes, his minutes with AD or Lebron has been his best, so he starts
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject:

I think Russ would greatly benefit from plying vs 2nd units...he could be super caruso with the energy.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
I think Russ would greatly benefit from plying vs 2nd units...he could be super caruso with the energy.

He literally sucked even more with the 2nd unit and he will be wild without lebron on the court. I’d much rather his 20-25 minutes stack as much with lebron/as as possible.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

He literally sucked even more with the 2nd unit and he will be wild without lebron on the court. I’d much rather his 20-25 minutes stack as much with lebron/as as possible.

Yeah, unlike Caruso he doesn't provide much of the defense, intangibles or dirty work on top of the "energy" so it kind of kills that opportunity on the spot.

I will say he made some legitimate nice non box score type of plays today and did a good job of not shooting early shot clock momentum killing perimeter shots tonight. If he plays more like tonight he can at least be a bit of a plus while on the floor with potential of being an even more positive influence going forward versus awful so i'll happily take tonights kind of performance at this point!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
This was bound to happen. With all the talk from the media and him giving Woj an exclusive interview. The entire leak that coaching staff has been given full clearance to bench RW when need be.

Seems it's all fresh. We've seen this before. Play bad. Have a big media chatter about what's wrong. Lakers come back and win the next one. Then, fall back into the same losing habits and patterns.

This is a .500 RW team through and through. The only thing that will change is maybe, just maybe, AD and Stanley will bring enough defensive energy and activity on offense that the Lakers may get away with some of their flaws. If you've got a second superstar you can hide your weaknesses more.

The game changed when we subbed in Stanley, and he was able to defend on switches. Stanley switched sometimes 3 players on the perimeter. Then on offense he hit those corner 3s. Huge contrast to the spacing and versatility on BOTH ends vs Dwight. You just can't run RW and Dwight together with Lebron, IMO.

Outside of the fact that we had our usual bounce back after a bad loss game, 41 wins here we come.

For Westbrook to gain credibility and respect amongst the fans, he needs to take this game and have another solid game in consecutive games or else if he comes back on Sunday and stinks it up, we are back to square 1 as far as wondering if the Westbrook experiment is ever gonna work.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Nice game but don’t want to over react based on playing against the worst team in NBA
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Very solid game by Westbrook tonight

We need to see him do it against teams that aren’t complete trash, though. Still, a positive sign and I’ll take it and hope it signifies a brighter future.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject:

He had a good game. But I am still amazed at how he has a couple boneheaded plays every single game.

When was the last time you saw a player coming up the floor carelessly dribble the ball out of bounds? Or shoot an uncontested 12 ft jump shot off the top of the backboard?

Think hard. Can you remember anyone? Except for maybe Westbrook.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
He had a good game. But I am still amazed at how he has a couple boneheaded plays every single game.

When was the last time you saw a player coming up the floor carelessly dribble the ball out of bounds? Or shoot an uncontested 12 ft jump shot off the top of the backboard?

Think hard. Can you remember anyone? Except for maybe Westbrook.

Not bothered by the jump shots as much as missing layups. A missed jump shot off the top of the backboard is just as bad as a rim in and out one, but NBA players should make more layups especially a guy with his athletic ability
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:57 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We need to see him do it against teams that aren’t complete trash, though. Still, a positive sign and I’ll take it and hope it signifies a brighter future.

He played well against a legit team in the Utah Jazz, his offense has been Improving in recent games.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

And he's done it before. He's had a lot of stretches where he has played well. I got excited at one point, and even said "WB is not a problem". Then, he reverted. I think this is who he is. He plays well, gives you a hope, then gets you right back to reality. This was a game he was able to pick his spots and also ensure he attacked the paint (his strength) well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

I want him to succeed but my gosh its so hard to root for him…who in the world his the top of backboard every game?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He played well against a legit team in the Utah Jazz, his offense has been Improving in recent games.

his TOs been under control too. Guess we all need to get used to seeing him as a role player and block out his salary from our brain, see him as same level as Monk
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject:

Trade value gone up? lol... Only 10 more games to go until trade deadline. I kinda hope WB would keep this up at least until the trade deadline so some team might actually be interested in acquiring him. Otherwise, I think we're screwed because it seems the Lakers are steadfast on playing WB.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

Nice game from Russ. Impressive bounce back from what I imagine was a tough pill to swallow
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

Let’s see how he does against the Heat/Nets/76ers first. Actual good teams.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

Westbrook has such incredible highs and lows. Watching him every game is eye opening. It is hard to tell if it is just loss of focus or just his out of control style works for him, until it doesn’t.

The same guy capable of those high speed breakneck attacks on the basket can just as easily lose control of the ball or miss the entire basket. The same guy that will strip the ball, dive on the floor for a loose ball and make a pass from the ground can also repeatedly go under screens on a shooter or cluelessly leave his assignment wide open as he freelances. The same guy that can smoothly hit 3pt shots in rhythm can also go 1-10 or air ball a 10 ft shot.

So frustrating to watch him. You can see times he is “ that guy” that deserved his MVP and his Mr Triple Double reputation, but then he has “ those plays” that make you wonder how he is even a professional NBA athlete.

Such a polarizing player. I have no clue what you do with him. Guessing Vogel and his teammates have similar frustrations. He is wildly inconsistent in a league that values consistently and efficiency to win.

Lakers need WB to win this season. Managing his highs and lows make that almost impossible to do so.
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject:

8 of 17 shooting and it's considered a really solid night for him
That's how low our expectations are.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

There is only one way we can do some damage in the playoffs. We need to make this work with Russ. There are no other paths to a positive outcome for this season. He’s not getting traded. He’s not coming off the bench.

Last night was promising. I trust Vogel and Lebron to figure this out.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

windycitycane wrote:

Front office will never admit they made a 44 million dollar mistake. That's a fireable offense in any company besides the Lakers I guess.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

Russ is the ideal PG for the Sixers.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject:

Killer_Z wrote:
There is only one way we can do some damage in the playoffs. We need to make this work with Russ. There are no other paths to a positive outcome for this season. He’s not getting traded. He’s not coming off the bench.

Last night was promising. I trust Vogel and Lebron to figure this out.

I mean if we play the 8 win Magic in the playoffs sure. Against better teams he is pretty much game planned against and not as effective.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 195 of 426
Jump to: