Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject:

It was the contract length. In the Pelinka era, role players get 1-2 year deals. Most common is the 2 year deal. Look at Danny Green even, a dude just coming off a championship as a starting 3nD wing in Toronto. We overpay his annual salary, but keep it at 2 years. The majority of our deals are 2 years. Even THT is expected to opt out in 2 years.

Only exceptions are Bron/AD. Bron signed a 4 year max in 2018. AD signed a 5 year max in 2020.

We've got a plan with the cap and want this "flexibility" of being to overhaul rosters every 2 years and go back and play the free agent market. It is what it is. It's Rob's strategy.

Oh, some will say the Dennis/KCP contracts. Ok, how long did they last as Lakers though? Both were offered to Lowry, and Kuz (another 3 year guy) was offered in trades for Hield. We're just not keeping many guys around AD/Bron. I wonder if Rob felt he could move Caruso on that 37M/4 year deal.

Even Westbrook, his opt out is this year. If he opts in, he's a FA in 2023. That makes his Laker tenure a 2 year deal as well. I think the flex of short term deals gives Rob a lot of wheeling and dealing opportunities and then it may give them a significant capspace situation in 2023 when Bron may decide to move on to team up with Bronny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I got nothing bad to say about WB as of now.

Dude's been baliin' lately.

Kiss my Converse.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Hard_Butter wrote:
I got nothing bad to say about WB as of now.

Dude's been baliin' lately.

He was not as great this game, but certainly not the reason we lost. He deferred to lebron a lot. That Offense foul hurts, but other than that, he was just ok. Even played good man defense on PG. the stupid double teaming of George was probably not his idea
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Probably this is the most I seen Russ defer in a game... He only took 8 shots for 10 points?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

RW has been playing better. I still think he is a turnover waiting to happen in crunch time but overall his impact on the game is more positive than negative. It is a shame that his positive impact on the game can't overcome the deficit we have on this roster.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Probably this is the most I seen Russ defer in a game... He only took 8 shots for 10 points?

I am not sure WB deferring to lebron is a good move at this point. I kind of want to see lebron defer to him. The lebron offense is hold the ball, dribble, dribble, brick. No movement at all
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

I am not sure WB deferring to lebron is a good move at this point. I kind of want to see lebron defer to him. The lebron offense is hold the ball, dribble, dribble, brick. No movement at all

I didnt see the game tonight... Is there a reason why Westbrook only took 8 shots? I don't think I have ever seen him take less than 10 shots in a game.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

I didnt see the game tonight... Is there a reason why Westbrook only took 8 shots? I don't think I have ever seen him take less than 10 shots in a game.

He was deferring, and it was pretty obvious. Probably the first game he was not aggressive.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

He didn't play horribly. He didn't play well either.

What kills us is that at 40m+ this year, you need more impact than that. Especially at the cost of the 4-5 players it took to get him (and guys we didn't sign b/c of his exorbitant salary and luxury tax hit).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

It's pretty damn apparent that LeBron is fading as a player. Can he still do amazing things? Of course. But he cannot blow by guys which then results in the jab step, between the legs over dribbles, to a step back and left three.

No part of me is saying he can't be a top 5 player in the NBA still but he needs to be used far more in the low post/mid post where he can bully smaller guys and then out quick bigger ones. To a certain degree, Russ really needs to be the one breaking down the defense but he seems to also be losing that ultra explosive first step that made him damn near unguardable a few years ago.

You brought in Russ to be Russ. Last few weeks he's been pretty damn good. I have no issue with the deal we made but I do have an issue with not bringing back other pieces that can play winning basketball/defend. Instead going bargain bin shopping for vets which was caused by his enormous salary and Jeanie's inability to foot those kind of luxury tax bills.

Last edited by 2019 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

It's pretty damn apparent that he's fading as a player. Can he still do amazing things? Of course. But he cannot blow by guys which then results in the jab step, between the legs over dribbles, to a step back and left three.

No part of me is saying he can't be a top 5 player in the NBA still but he needs to be used far more in the low post/mid post where he can bully smaller guys and then out quick bigger ones. To a certain degree, Russ really needs to be the one breaking down the defense but he seems to also be losing that ultra explosive first step that made him damn near unguardable a few years ago.

Yeah, the Russ /AD pick n roll has been very effective.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It was the contract length. In the Pelinka era, role players get 1-2 year deals. Most common is the 2 year deal. Look at Danny Green even, a dude just coming off a championship as a starting 3nD wing in Toronto. We overpay his annual salary, but keep it at 2 years. The majority of our deals are 2 years. Even THT is expected to opt out in 2 years.

Only exceptions are Bron/AD. Bron signed a 4 year max in 2018. AD signed a 5 year max in 2020.

We've got a plan with the cap and want this "flexibility" of being to overhaul rosters every 2 years and go back and play the free agent market. It is what it is. It's Rob's strategy.

Oh, some will say the Dennis/KCP contracts. Ok, how long did they last as Lakers though? Both were offered to Lowry, and Kuz (another 3 year guy) was offered in trades for Hield. We're just not keeping many guys around AD/Bron. I wonder if Rob felt he could move Caruso on that 37M/4 year deal.

Even Westbrook, his opt out is this year. If he opts in, he's a FA in 2023. That makes his Laker tenure a 2 year deal as well. I think the flex of short term deals gives Rob a lot of wheeling and dealing opportunities and then it may give them a significant capspace situation in 2023 when Bron may decide to move on to team up with Bronny.

He is horrible at signing players anyways. what is the point of having all those opportunities.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

He was deferring, and it was pretty obvious. Probably the first game he was not aggressive.

...which is why Russ and LBJ is not a good fit.....but we already knew that.

At this point, the team might be better off with WB handling the ball a bit more - even with LeBron on the floor. LBJ is a better spot-up shooter anyhow. Russ can at least get rack and dish still despite losing a step. I like that he's been playing more under control and limiting his turnovers. Can we count on this trend? History says probably not......which goes back to Russ and Bron not being a good fit. That said, Russ has been the least of our problems these handful of games.

Kiss my Converse.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject:

Never liked this clown. Never will.
Seeing him in Lakers uniform was really bad news. Seeing him playing even worse. Glad he has only one more year with us. Move his ass as far as possible from the Lakers.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

Russ laughing and smiling while the Lakers are playing like complete ass and losing games is some of the most annoying (bleep) ive ever seen out of a Laker player.

He could not care less if the Lakers win or lose.
Leif
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Seeing him in Lakers uniform was really bad news. Seeing him playing even worse. Glad he has only one more year with us. Move his ass as far as possible from the Lakers.

Wait till you see playoff Westbrook.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

Leif wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Wait till you see playoff Westbrook.

Already saw enough. That laughing while losing games is absolutely ridiculous. He should be moved from the team immediately.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Russ laughing and smiling while the Lakers are playing like complete ass and losing games is some of the most annoying (bleep) ive ever seen out of a Laker player.

He could not care less if the Lakers win or lose.

The entire big 4 (Aside from AD sometimes) is doing this. I'm talking Melo, LBJ. Westbrook, AD. They come into games just so happy go lucky. Like life's great man, I'm rich, playing basketball with my friends, living in LA, have a chance to win a championship yada yada

No urgency at all. No fire. There needed to be a Kobe on this team. Someone that can get these guys to understand there's no time to waste. Its so tough to watch such a talented team play with so little heart. The only time they play with a sense of urgency is when their backs up against the wall on the road with no Lebron. You see that in San Antonio, Sacramento and Detroit. All those games they played quite hard and well. It's just you rarely see that effort and seriousness from them when they play together at Staples. I just don't get it. Paul George was rested for the last game so he could go all out in this Laker one. They sacrificed a game against Sacramento.

Now not saying we should get up because it's the Clippers, could care less about that. Get up and play hard without the joking around because your butts are supposed to be competing for a #1 seed and instead will likley be either in a play in situation or playing the 1st round without HCA. I said it even last game's big win. If they don't change their approach to what they had with Sacramento, they're going to be one and done this year, at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
No part of me is saying he can't be a top 5 player in the NBA still but he needs to be used far more in the low post/mid post where he can bully smaller guys and then out quick bigger ones.

Well, Lebron isn't a top five player in the NBA. I don't think that is going to change. I think we're at the point at which he can play like a top five player in spurts, but not consistently.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject:

The fact that RW is playing better but we as a team hasn't got better is a dangerous sign
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
2019 wrote:
No part of me is saying he can't be a top 5 player in the NBA still but he needs to be used far more in the low post/mid post where he can bully smaller guys and then out quick bigger ones.

Well, Lebron isn't a top five player in the NBA. I don't think that is going to change. I think we're at the point at which he can play like a top five player in spurts, but not consistently.

And the Lakers knowing this, may have realized the need for a 3rd star. Sure they may have ended up with the wrong 3rd star, but certainly Dennis/KCP and co aren't going to make up for whatever loss Lebron has had in his ability from 2019 to present.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
The fact that RW is playing better but we as a team hasn't got better is a dangerous sign

Because as it stands we have more chemistry without LeBron than with him. That's gonna have to change, but LeBron is gonna have to be able to play more than 3 game intervals at a time for that to happen.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

It's hard to assess because of our schedule. For all of the Clippers' problems, they're still one of the better teams we've played all season. Our Strength of Schedule still ranks 28th. That's going to make it tricky to assess our progress.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

I think Westbrook does take the game and games, pretty seriously. Sure, he cracks a smile sometime but he is a fierce competitor.

The problem here on this site, and just Lakers fans in general, we are never happy with all the players. Some of you obviously hate Russell, while there are a lot of you who hate Davis and even Lebron.

I think the team in general has underachieved.
I think the coaching staff in general has underachieved.

Their record shows it....

I don't think it's age or injuries as much as it is bringing it consistently game after game. This team doesn't do that...

Makes me sad thinking about Kobe. Those last years of his career, he had some steamy crap teams he had to run with. Can you imagine if he had a Westbrook or Davis? No, he had Sacre and Smush. Crap...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

there are few athletes who I never have or never will slander.
Kobe
Baron Davis
Keyshawn Johnson
Russ
Ariza

There are probably a few more, but these come to mind.

Russ is playing now how everyone wanted him to play at the beginning of the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 127 of 426
Jump to: