Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

Westbrook is who he is at this point in his career. Just remember for all the (bleep) games shooting wise like last night, he will have some superstar games where he looks like the best PG in the game. It all evens out in the RS. Think about it this way, 20 crap games shooting wise, 20 MVP level games, and the rest about par. He will be a net asset in the RS.

Where I have concerns from is the playoffs. You can't have too many of these shooting games in the playoffs and IQ is important. Frank will need to tighten the rotation. We seemed to be a better team last night when Bron or Rondo ran the point vs Westbrook.

Westbrook is going from being the be all and end all of a team, to a SG in the Wade to James/Miami role. It is a major adjustment. His shooting will be what it is. What I was bummed about was the D. When guys like Baze, Bradley are chasing guards around like that. AD/Bron are playing hard on D. Westbrook just didn't bring the D culture and intensity I was hoping. This is the area he can easily improve on as he does not have to use his energy all on O.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
akhan786
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Told you so! This is one of those times I wish I was wrong about Westbrick and he would surprise me. Whelp, now is the interesting part. How will the Lakers handle adversity. Not gunna be easy to move Westbrick. If you give away (bleep), then you've gotta take back (bleep).

How hilarious would be if we swapped Kyrie for Westbrook because Tsai just gets sick of an anti-vaxxer lolol

KD WOULD BE PISSED. But idk if you could create 2 players better to put around Lebron stylistically than Kyrie and AD other than Curry.

BUT Curry is less clutch which is also a slight weakness in Bron’s game which is why he and Kyrie when healthy, dominated (Lebron first 40 minutes/Kyrie the last 8 minutes)
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject:

Wish we started the season out on the road.

He would’ve looked a lot better. Build himself up before his homecoming
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject:

akhan786 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Told you so! This is one of those times I wish I was wrong about Westbrick and he would surprise me. Whelp, now is the interesting part. How will the Lakers handle adversity. Not gunna be easy to move Westbrick. If you give away (bleep), then you've gotta take back (bleep).

How hilarious would be if we swapped Kyrie for Westbrook because Tsai just gets sick of an anti-vaxxer lolol

KD WOULD BE PISSED. But idk if you could create 2 players better to put around Lebron stylistically than Kyrie and AD other than Curry.

BUT Curry is less clutch which is also a slight weakness in Bron’s game which is why he and Kyrie when healthy, dominated (Lebron first 40 minutes/Kyrie the last 8 minutes)

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Its 1 game. Calm down.
Unless you are gonna bring the same energy every game. Win or lose.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

We were better off signing Lonzo. Westbrook is horrible and is starting to lose his athleticism.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
We were better off signing Lonzo. Westbrook is horrible and is starting to lose his athleticism.

Oh no, Lonzo is back...
Lonzo was a free agent and received more that $18 mill a year. We could not sign any free agents. Westbrook was a trade.
Oh, and Westbrook is 100 times the player that Lonzo is. Just give him some time to get comfortable with this new team..
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Brodie is still not sure what to do out there, overthinking, Vogel need to let him know he has the green light to attack the basket

Exactly. We were dominating boards.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

Oh no, Lonzo is back...
Lonzo was a free agent and received more that $18 mill a year. We could not sign any free agents. Westbrook was a trade.
Oh, and Westbrook is 100 times the player that Lonzo is. Just give him some time to get comfortable with this new team..

Something called a sign and trade. I thought Kuzma was dumb, Westbrook is Captain Derpy.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

Oh no, Lonzo is back...

Something called a sign and trade. I thought Kuzma was dumb, Westbrook is Captain Derpy.

Then be hard capped and not be able to sign anyone else?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:
Brodie is still not sure what to do out there, overthinking, Vogel need to let him know he has the green light to attack the basket

I’m nowhere close to declaring the Westbrook move as a disaster but for the sake of the truth, we were out rebounder last night.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

Oh no, Lonzo is back...

I am going to give Westbrook some time. I think we can all agree it was a very aggressive, and perhaps not the right move for the organization. Let's hope it works itself out. I know Westbrook is frustrated so maybe he finds new ways to evolve his game. There is no doubt, the guy has skills. He needs to figure it out. Also, I am growing tired of watching this team of babies cry after every call...especially Lebron and Russell. Shut the hell up and play.....
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:

I’m nowhere close to declaring the Westbrook move as a disaster but for the sake of the truth, we were out rebounder last night.

Agree totally. There were good parts of the game, and not....
Defense and offense looked stellar at times....other times not so much....
I don't want to see this team lose out of the gate, because all the doubters and haters come out from under the sewer.....I will give it time.
Team needs to gel, WB needs to find his strength with this unit...
Frank needs to play the right people at the right time...
Shoot better free throws!! No Carmelo iso ball...
Stop whining after every call....
get back on defense and guard the perimeter!!!!

THat's it...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

Why are we playing a Rondo/WB backcourt (answer, Nunn's injury).

But taking the ball out of WB's hands only neuters him more on the court. He was camping out at the 3 point line. Just no creativity or thoughtfulness about this.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject:

https://tenor.com/YL7V.gif
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:

when the wheels fell off, but early when Russ was shy we were snatching a lot.

he just needs to drive , use the spacing born and AD provide. its pretty simple.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

Exactly! Just be himself, which is a high flying dunk fest.

Worst case he gets fouled while driving.

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:

he just needs to drive , use the spacing born and AD provide. its pretty simple.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

Westbrook should be our 6th man and lead the 2nd unit. Hard for him to get integrated with the 1st unit with Lebron being the actual ball handling pg and AD the go to guy. You need shooters and defenders around them.

Ideally we run this starting lineup

Jordan or Howard
AD
Lebron
Bazemore
Bradley

This is a better balance of defense and shooting than with WB out there. IMO
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

Westbrook's only offensive contributions should come from cuts and drives to the hoop. He cannot make shots great than 3 feet from the rim. He needs to be the layup king. If he can manage to consistently collapse impacted defenses, he can start kicking it out to Bazemore for a 3, or to a cutting Lebron for the dunk, an alley oop to Dwight, or a pass-off to AD for a short range jumper. The offense can work with a smart RW, but not a dumbass one.

Westbrook has to play to his strengths and stop forcing. He can lessen the rebounding load for AD and Lebron, thus keeping them out of the mix and, subsequently, reducing their chance of injury. He has to remember and accept that he cannot shoot from range. He's a horrible shooter, but a competent finisher at the rim.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Westbrook's only offensive contributions should come from cuts and drives to the hoop. He cannot make shots great than 3 feet from the rim. He needs to be the layup king. If he can manage to consistently collapse impacted defenses, he can start kicking it out to Bazemore for a 3, or to a cutting Lebron for the dunk, an alley oop to Dwight, or a pass-off to AD for a short range jumper. The offense can work with a smart RW, but not a dumbass one.

Westbrook has to play to his strengths and stop forcing. He can lessen the rebounding load for AD and Lebron, thus keeping them out of the mix and, subsequently, reducing their chance of injury. He has to remember and accept that he cannot shoot from range. He's a horrible shooter, but a competent finisher at the rim.

Totally agree, troy. And he has strengths...he's a former MVP, multiple time triple double guy....he just needs to stop trying to do everything right and overthinking things and just do what he is best at. Drive the ball, kick it....drive the break, kick it or dunk on someone. Grab rebounds, make passes, dunk the ball.....

He will be ok, I know it.....
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

He'll be better. We just need to figure out how to use him. Right now, we don't seem to have a clue how to use him, and he doesn't seem to have a clue what he is supposed to be doing.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Exactly! Just be himself, which is a high flying dunk fest.

Worst case he gets fouled while driving.

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
governator wrote:

High flying dunker Westbrook had 24 dunks last season. Still not bad for a player his size but 1 dunk every 2 and a half games isn't exactly something I'd call a dunk fest.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

I wonder what was discussed when Russ, Bron and AD met earlier when he was about to be traded, how did they envision it would work?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
I wonder what was discussed when Russ, Bron and AD met earlier when he was about to be traded, how did they envision it would work?

Russ should be running the offense when LBJ is on the bench. with LBJ dominates the ball, Russ is being used as a spot up shooter like DS was last season, and that's not his game. just stagger their minutes, have Russ play his game when LBJ sits. I will not however make Russ a 6th man, he can play the role of the 6th man, but still dressed as a starter.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:

This is the key question. I don't think any of the issues that we saw last night were surprising. Hard to see the plan, but it's just one game.

On the other hand, if Russ is supposed to be a much better version of Schroder, they've had a year to figure it out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 57 of 426
Jump to: