Tokyo 2021 Olympic Games Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Choking refers to succumbing to the pressure of the event itself, I.e. badly missing a wide open shot you know wins or loses the game. Ms. Biles has not only never had a problem with the pressure of the moment in the sport, she’s been able to focus and perform even significantly impeded by injury. She’s no choker.

She has a cumulative mental health issue related to a lot of things including her sexual abuse and the politics of her position, that resulted in being depressed/incapacitated from performing for your pleasure, not because she fears the moment or the competition.

I hope in your life you never have such a situation, and if you do, I hope the people around you have even the slightest empathy for you that you deny her.
LakersGirl4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

She has a cumulative mental health issue related to a lot of things including her sexual abuse and the politics of her position, that resulted in being depressed/incapacitated from performing for your pleasure, not because she fears the moment or the competition.

I think it was more likely the media storm around her for this Olympics which put extra pressure on her. As to empathy for choking it's kind of hard to have empathy for someone that put's goat symbols on their outfits then quits on their team. What if Kobe Bryant in 2010 quit at halftime of game 7 after having a poor shooting half. Would you be making excuses for him as well. He would have been ripped apart in the media and fans alike.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

LakersGirl4Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I think it was more likely the media storm around her for this Olympics which put extra pressure on her. As to empathy for choking it's kind of hard to have empathy for someone that put's goat symbols on their outfits then quits on their team. What if Kobe Bryant in 2010 quit at halftime of game 7 after having a poor shooting half. Would you be making excuses for him as well. He would have been ripped apart in the media and fans alike.

If Kobe missed a basket because his head wasn't in the game, the worst that could happen is he misses a basket.

If a world class gymnast is 20-feet up in the air and loses concentration during quadruple spins no one else has done, the effect could be catastrophic - as in broken bones, broken neck, concussion or accidental death. So it's easy for you to say someone choked from your safe space behind a keyboard. Which takes zero courage at all.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Commentary and description from former gymnast and diver:

Quote:
Catherine Burns @WittyNameChoice

Hi, your friendly neighborhood former gymnast and diver here to attempt to explain the mental phenomenon Simone Biles is experiencing: the dreaded twisties.

When you're flipping or twisting (or both!) it is very disorienting to the human brain. When training new flips and twists, you need external cues to learn how it feels to complete the trick correctly. (In diving, a coach yells "OUT" and you kick your body straight and pray).

Once you've practiced a trick enough, you develop the neural pathways that create kinesthesia which leads to muscle memory. Your brain remembers how your body feels doing the trick and you gain air awareness.

Think about something that took you a while to learn and required a lot of concentration at the time to get it right, but now is second nature. Driving a car is a good example (especially stick!)

Suddenly, in the middle of driving on the freeway, right as you need to complete a tricky merge, you have totally lost your muscle memory of how to drive a car. You have to focus on making you foot press the pedal at the right angle, turn the steering wheel just so, shift gears..

It's terrifying. You're moving way too fast, you're totally lost, you're trying to THINK but you know you don't usually have to think to do these maneuvers, you just feel them and do them.

The twisties are like this, and often happen under pressure. You're working so hard to get it right that you stop trusting your muscle memory. You're getting lost in the air, second guessing your instincts, overthinking every movement.

It's not only scary and unnerving, it's incredibly dangerous even if you're doing basic gymnastics. The level of skills Simone throws combined with the height and power she gets can lead to catastrophic injury if you're not confident and connected to your kinesthesia.

This isn't as easy to fix as just sleeping it off and hoping for a better day tomorrow. It can look like retraining entire routines and tricks. I never mastered my front 1.5 with a full twist because I'd get the twisties and it would mess with my other twisting dives.

So. When Simone says she's taking it day by day, this is why. She's not soft. She didn't choke. She isn't giving up. It's a phenomenon every gymnast and diver has experienced and she happens to be experiencing it at the Olympics. Can you imagine the frustration? The heartbreak?

I'll also add that @Simone_Biles choosing to bow out pushes back against a dark narrative in gymnastics that you sacrifice yourself for the sake of the sport; you are the product of your coaches and you owe them wins, no matter the personal cost.

No. You owe nobody anything, and you especially don't owe them your body, your health, or your autonomy. I hope every single tiny baby gymnast got that message on self advocacy and setting boundaries loud and clear. Thank you, @Simone_Biles.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I think she's done for the Olympics...this isn't something you can fix overnight. Loss of confidence in your abilities is a huge road block for professional athletes and have ended many careers.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

i have a hard when civilians call the greatest athletes chokers. i even have a hard time when athletes not near as successful as their elite counterparts refer to them as chokers.

reality is the sacrifice gymnasts make specifically is so far beyond our comprehension that I have to believe that 1000's of them have never made it beyond local competitions due to the mental strain.

I like simone, I am a huge fan of Naomi and am happy they do what they have to do.

Mental illness is brutal and just as dangerous and tragic..if not more so than any other disease.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
i have a hard when civilians call the greatest athletes chokers. i even have a hard time when athletes not near as successful as their elite counterparts refer to them as chokers.

reality is the sacrifice gymnasts make specifically is so far beyond our comprehension that I have to believe that 1000's of them have never made it beyond local competitions due to the mental strain.

I like simone, I am a huge fan of Naomi and am happy they do what they have to do.

Mental illness is brutal and just as dangerous and tragic..if not more so than any other disease.

Especially when they didn't choke. And what Simone is going through right now has nothing to do with choking.

Is anyone saying Federer choked because he isn't in the Olympics due to injury? Of course not. Simone is no different. It's just that her "injury" involves an overstressed, overloaded mental state that puts her physical health at risk. As has been pointed out by many, if Simone has a mental lapse during a routine, she could end up horribly injured . . . or worse.

Even the statement about her recent withdrawal states that the decision was made after a medical evaluation. Mental health is an overlooked (and even mocked, as LakersGirl demonstrated) physical condition that is even more important than the rest of the parts of the body.

We really need to get past the neanderthal thinking that leads to calling people who are taking care of their mental health "chokers".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

I haven't watched a single event yet, for some reason I am not feeling it.

Whether it is the lack of crowds or as Jodeke pointed out, some of the "new" sports they have added....I am just not into it this year which is strange for me.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject:

3 on 3 shouldn't be an Olympic sport. I watched a few minutes the other day and I saw 12 straight missed shots combined. The skill level is not good, it's not entertaining to watch, it's a joke.

The only sport I've watched consistently is Handball, probably my favorite Olympic sport. And it's not the throw a ball against a wall sport, it's the one where soccer and basketball are combined into something really entertaining. Fortunately, the NBC app shows all the games live and on replay.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Whether it is the lack of crowds or as Jodeke pointed out, some of the "new" sports they have added....I am just not into it this year which is strange for me.

It appears that you have a lot of company...

Sports Media Watch
@paulsen_smw
·
26m
Viewership for the first Tuesday of the Summer Olympics:
2012: 38.7M
2016: 36.1M
2021: 16.2M (-19.9M from 2016, -22.5M from 2012)
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Communication wasn't ideal on the Biles withdrawal. There were vague mentions of medical issues and mental health. If someone had just come out and said she was losing her bearings in the air and was worried she might land wrong and break her neck, I think it would've been more easily understood by everyone. No medal is worth that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I watched mostly the prime time coverage since its the only live events on network TV. The rest of the coverage on network TV is basically tape delayed so its hard to get into it since the results are already spoiled.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

It appears that you have a lot of company...

Sports Media Watch
@paulsen_smw
·
26m
Viewership for the first Tuesday of the Summer Olympics:
2012: 38.7M
2016: 36.1M
2021: 16.2M (-19.9M from 2016, -22.5M from 2012)

Lack of crowds kills the atmosphere of the games...I know I tried to watch the opening ceremonies but I couldn't get into it since it was dead and devoid of any spectators. Some of the more prestigious events like swimming had a lot of international press covering it while something like water polo had absolutely nobody there which stressed the lack of importance or attention from the world's media.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I watched mostly the prime time coverage since its the only live events on network TV. The rest of the coverage on network TV is basically tape delayed so its hard to get into it since the results are already spoiled.

The prime time (Pacific Time) events are the live ones, not the daytime ones? That’s oddly convenient.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The prime time (Pacific Time) events are the live ones, not the daytime ones? That’s oddly convenient.

NBC paid an absurd amount for the TV rights so they were able to schedule a lot of the events for primetime American TV. I read some of the competitors were not happy that the events were held during the morning since it throws off their timing.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

NBC paid an absurd amount for the TV rights so they were able to schedule a lot of the events for primetime American TV. I read some of the competitors were not happy that the events were held during the morning since it throws off their timing.

Why did they pick primetime Pacific time instead of Eastern?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The times were actually set for the eastern time zone since thats where most of the US TV viewing audience is at....this is why the live network high profile events end at around 9pm PT, meanwhile its 12am ET when the east coast is about to go to bed. Its not a coincidence that the popular swimming events all end so early for those watching on the west coast.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
3 on 3 shouldn't be an Olympic sport. I watched a few minutes the other day and I saw 12 straight missed shots combined. The skill level is not good, it's not entertaining to watch, it's a joke.

The only sport I've watched consistently is Handball, probably my favorite Olympic sport. And it's not the throw a ball against a wall sport, it's the one where soccer and basketball are combined into something really entertaining. Fortunately, the NBC app shows all the games live and on replay.

3x3 basketball is basically Big3 basketball without the 4 point shot.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I've just started catching up to today's events. It was fun skimming through NBC's coverage of the parade of nations and playing the "What's the next cluster of developing countries whose entrance screen time will be cut short by a commercial?" game. One time I said "Ope, Comoros is coming up soon, bet that's commercial time" and it (bleep) was.

I disagree with Wilt, that 3v3 stuff is INTENSE. There is no dead ball up top after baskets, they just clear it to 20 feet and keep playing! I would die.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject:

American Sunisa Lee wins all-around gymnastics gold at the Tokyo Olympics

Quote:
Ariake Gymnastics Centre, Tokyo (CNN) USA's Sunisa Lee won the women's all-around gymnastics gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics on Thursday as
Simone Biles cheered on from the stands at the Ariake Gymnastics Centre.

Lee scored 57.433 to finish ahead of Brazil's Rebeca Andrade in second and the Russian Olympic Committee's Angelina Melnikova in third, extending a run of five all-around Olympic golds for the USA.

The 18-year-old Lee took the lead from Andrade, who becomes Brazil's first Olympic medalist in gymnastics, after the third rotation, and completed her victory when she scored 13.700 with her floor routine.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/sport/sunisa-lee-tokyo-olympics-gymnastics-spt-intl/index.html
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

Charlie Kirk, Piers Morgan slam Simone Biles as a "selfish sociopath" and "shame to the country"

Quote:
While Biles has received widespread support from prominent figures such as Michelle Obama and Sarah Hirshland, CEO of the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee, Kirk slammed the 24-year-old gymnast on his podcast The Charlie Kirk Show.

"We are raising a generation of weak people like Simone Biles," he told listeners. "If she's got all these mental health problems: don't show up."

He continued: "She's an incredible athlete, of course, she's an incredible athlete, I'm not saying that — she's probably the greatest gymnast of all time. She's also very selfish, she's immature and she's a shame to the country."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/charlie-kirk-piers-morgan-slam-simone-biles-as-a-selfish-sociopath-and-shame-to-the-country/ar-AAMFXQR?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

with all due respect. The womens turkish volleyball team has some absolute dimes.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Impressive, USA female gymnasts have won 5 straight all around titles going back to 2004.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The times were actually set for the eastern time zone since thats where most of the US TV viewing audience is at....this is why the live network high profile events end at around 9pm PT, meanwhile its 12am ET when the east coast is about to go to bed. Its not a coincidence that the popular swimming events all end so early for those watching on the west coast.

This makes sense now. So for those of us on the west coast, the FIRST hour is live (5:00 to 6:00 PST) and then the rest is tape delayed? For example, they showed live swimming today but then the rest was gymnastics, where the results were already known.

How do those of us on the west coast watch live before 5:00?

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I believe the high profile swimming events were mostly scheduled for the US audience. Gymnastics were mostly tape delayed on network TV since they are usually held later in the day. They were live for those with a pay TV subscription and had the ability to watch on one of those other NBC channels. Not sure how track and field is going to be scheduled since those events are just starting today.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: