Boston Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:48 pm    Post subject: Boston Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/boston-celtics-hire-jeff-van-gundy-as-senior-consultant

Quote:
Boston Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

Jeff Van Gundy, the former NBA coach turned long-time broadcaster, is now a special consultant to the Boston Celtics.

Fans first noticed Van Gundy’s name listed as a special consultant to the Celtics and the team has confirmed it (Brian Robb of MassLive.com. was first).

Van Gundy’s role is as an advisor to Boston’s basketball operations, and will work with the Celtics and their G-League affiliate, the Maine Red Claws, according to the report.

Van Gundy, 61, coached Patrick Ewing era New York Knicks from 1995-2001, with the team reaching the NBA Finals in 1999. He then went on to coach the Houston Rockets from 2003-07. After that, he went into broadcasting and, for many years, was part of the ABC/ESPN lead broadcast team with Mark Jackson and play-by-play man Mike Breen. After the 2023 NBA Finals, both Van Gundy and Jackson were let go by ABC/ESPN.

Van Gundy has still been coaching, he coached the USA Basketball team at the 2017 FIBA AmeriCup, as well as the squads which represented the USA in World Cup qualifying (those games were during the NBA season so the team was made up of G-League and a few international players who could get leave from their teams)
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I didn't realize ABC/ESPN let Van Gundy and Jackson go. I actually liked listening to them, Van Gundy more so than Jackson. But they were funny together.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I didn't realize ABC/ESPN let Van Gundy and Jackson go. I actually liked listening to them, Van Gundy more so than Jackson. But they were funny together.

Yeah they were part of the massive ESPN layoffs over the summer. They’re replaced by Doc Rivers and Doris Burke.

I am surprised the Celtics hired Van Gundy he actually endorsed Ime Udoka to get another coaching job.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Mark Jones is the best announcer they have left https://www.tiktok.com/@rackemsports/video/7233609196288298286
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I like Van Gundy (both) better as announcers than coaches.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject:

That Breen/Jackson/Van Gundy team was great. But Doc Rivers is a really good announcer too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: