Bill Cosby to be released from prison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
While I feel a sense of injustice at Cosby going free (just like I did when OJ got out of jail), what I'm really bothered by is all the victims (Cosby's victims and others') whose PTSD got triggered today by this news. Not a good day for them, to be sure.

And that's the real tragedy here—perpetuating the system where concern for the sexual predators (and it's. important to recognize that this decision doesn't erase his guilt, just his sentence) trumps the lives of the multitudes of victims. This ruling doesn't traumatize just Cosby's, it traumatizes all victims who continue to see their suffering marginalized, and thus helps discourage them from coming forward . . . because why if their personal justice will not be upheld by the misogyny of the judicial system, particularly in the higher courts.

But hey, at least Cosby gets to go home and enjoy his freedom content with the knowledge he can continue to profess that he is the true victim in all of this.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Shill Cosby

Great American Sexual Predator
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
The trial was trash from top to bottom. Allowing those women to testify, unsealing his deposition after he had an agreement with the prior DA. Even the ACTUAL accuser that he was on trial for...SHE TOOK THE MONEY. I'm not judging her for taking the money, but she took the money when she actually had the choice to cooperate in the criminal case. And that should've been that.

I knew once this moved up the appeals courts, it was gonna get tossed. I get that people felt good about getting a predator behind bars. But predators deserve fair trials too.

The POS got his fair trial, as the lower courts upheld. This lousy SC decision doesn't erase that.

It actually did just that. Erased it.

The point is that he did get his fair trial, despite what the SC ruled. He's not the one who got treated wrongly, his victims are.

We'll just agree to disagree. I don't believe he got a fair trial. The people got their pound of flesh trial. I believe they knew it would eventually be overturned for the very reasons that it was overturned. But hey, they got 3 years of imprisonment out of the deal.

Not even a fraction of what he actually deserved.

Not a fraction of what he actually deserved, but way more than what they should've gotten with that trash case.

The lower courts disagreed.

Okay, and?? You keep saying that like it means something. It doesn't. There are many cases through history (i.e. Loving v. Virginia, Miranda v Arizona) where the lower courts upheld the original verdicts all the way to SCOTUS. It is not uncommon for lower courts to uphold bad verdicts.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject:

This MF is already the radio saying this is a victory for social justice and all black people. No remorse. No humility. Just wants to rub people's faces in it. JUST LIKE TRUMP. Hope they both burn in hell.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject:

This was the day Kobe was accused in 2003. Nothin to do w/ Cosby, but it just occurred to me.

I don't blame any woman who might feel the chilling effect from this. And one of the prosecutors against him on MSNBC said there's no proof of this supposed agreement that was supposedly violated.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Wow, this vile rapist really got off easy.

Well at least he spent two years behind bars, saw his reputation destroyed and now hopefully will payout out millions in civil lawsuits to his victims.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Well at least he spent two years behind bars, saw his reputation destroyed and now hopefully will payout out millions in civil lawsuits to his victims.

Phylicia Rashad couldn't wait a minute to chime in and profess his innocence and the injustice that was overturned, etc.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
The trial was trash from top to bottom. Allowing those women to testify, unsealing his deposition after he had an agreement with the prior DA. Even the ACTUAL accuser that he was on trial for...SHE TOOK THE MONEY. I'm not judging her for taking the money, but she took the money when she actually had the choice to cooperate in the criminal case. And that should've been that.

I knew once this moved up the appeals courts, it was gonna get tossed. I get that people felt good about getting a predator behind bars. But predators deserve fair trials too.

The POS got his fair trial, as the lower courts upheld. This lousy SC decision doesn't erase that.

It actually did just that. Erased it.

The point is that he did get his fair trial, despite what the SC ruled. He's not the one who got treated wrongly, his victims are.

We'll just agree to disagree. I don't believe he got a fair trial. The people got their pound of flesh trial. I believe they knew it would eventually be overturned for the very reasons that it was overturned. But hey, they got 3 years of imprisonment out of the deal.

Not even a fraction of what he actually deserved.

Not a fraction of what he actually deserved, but way more than what they should've gotten with that trash case.

The lower courts disagreed.

Okay, and?? You keep saying that like it means something. It doesn't. There are many cases through history (i.e. Loving v. Virginia, Miranda v Arizona) where the lower courts upheld the original verdicts all the way to SCOTUS. It is not uncommon for lower courts to uphold bad verdicts.

And vice versa. You act as if the SC always gets it right simply because they are the higher court, and that's not even remotely the case. If it were, there wouldn't be so much concern around the nation for what the GOP has done to the SCOTUS.

And I won't even get into how the outcome of this would have been different if we were talking about Billy Cosby from Compton instead of Bill "Cliff Huxtable" Cosby from Network Primetime.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
This MF is already the radio saying this is a victory for social justice and all black people. No remorse. No humility. Just wants to rub people's faces in it. JUST LIKE TRUMP. Hope they both burn in hell.

He also claimed that the the original verdict and sentence had nothing to do with "the truth" (i.e "the truth" = his innocence") which is of course categorically untrue.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Phylicia Rashad couldn't wait a minute to chime in and profess his innocence and the injustice that was overturned, etc.

Yeah, that was disgusting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

To which the entirety of social media responded, "BYE PHYLICIA!"
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Disgusting by Phylicia Rashad.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Trump just found his running mate for 2024.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

And the horrible prosecutor was Bruce Castor, also famous for being the horrible Trump defense attorney from the second Impeachment trial who rambled nonsense for two hours.

Of course it was, these scumbags are all connected.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
There are many cases through history (i.e. Loving v. Virginia, Miranda v Arizona) where the lower courts upheld the original verdicts all the way to SCOTUS. It is not uncommon for lower courts to uphold bad verdicts.

Still think the higher courts are always correct?:

SCOTUS BRUTAL DOUBLE BLOW TO FAIR ELECTIONS
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

Shill Cosby = Cliff Drugstable
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

To which the entirety of social media responded, "BYE PHYLICIA!"

The fact that he needed his victims unconscious is the most chilling aspect of his sickness. That's literally something that serial killers share. Were it not for some saving grace in his home life around the time when sexual identity was becoming perverted, he might've become a serial killer. And him choosing to play an OBGYN on his show was even more disgusting because he was using his fantasy as an arc in storylines on the show. The time to jump from the Cosby train has already long passed. I can't fathom how PR would even need to protect him any longer because she still works and it's not because Cosby gets her gigs. Like Jackson w/ Culkin, Cosby was also savvy enough to leave Rashad alone because he knew she would come in handy as a potential character witness down the road who could say, "I've NEVER seen/heard him do X, Y, Z..."

I've been going thru S3 of The Sopranos lately and in the episode where Dr. Melfi is raped, the rapist somehow gets released due to a mistake being made in the chain of custody of his paperwork (iirc). I remembered wondering how far-fetched that scenario actually was and not more than maybe a week later THIS happens. This is something that wouldn't have even made the script. I truly feel ill for the women he has harmed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court got the decision correct, since their duty is to adjudicate law, and the prosecutors clearly violated the rights of Cosby in a legal sense. That does not change the fact that he is clearly guilty, and that this verdict should not be celebrated.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject:

My 2 takeaways are:

1) He'll be a social pariah till the day he dies. And although that won't hurt him as much as being in jail. If you consider the heights he's fallen from. If you consider how much pleasure he took in lecturing the character of young African Americans from a self-perceived pedestal of moral authority. The lack of respect. Heck, the abject disgust the majority of the population has for him. It'll pain him till the day he dies.

2) There are many things that upset me about this SC decision. Particularly how the victims aren't given justice. But what even pains me more than that. Is how this rubs in our faces the disparity in justice to Americans based on $. There are innocent poor people in jail right now. And there is DNA evidence that can prove it. But they don't have the $ to get justice.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject:

American Ju$tice
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
My 2 takeaways are:

1) He'll be a social pariah till the day he dies. And although that won't hurt him as much as being in jail. If you consider the heights he's fallen from. If you consider how much pleasure he took in lecturing the character of young African Americans from a self-perceived pedestal of moral authority. The lack of respect. Heck, the abject disgust the majority of the population has for him. It'll pain him till the day he dies.

I get why that would be the obvious assumption, but in reality I don't think it will bother him at all. He's convinced he's not guilty of anything, and there are enough remaining fans who will believe the same. And even if they don't, they will look the other way the same way people still fawn allover OJ when he is in public. Cosby is going to finish his life believing he is the only victim in all of this and therefor will not lament his fall from grace, because he's going to view it as not his fault.

Quote:
2) There are many things that upset me about this SC decision. Particularly how the victims aren't given justice. But what even pains me more than that. Is how this rubs in our faces the disparity in justice to Americans based on $. There are innocent poor people in jail right now. And there is DNA evidence that can prove it. But they don't have the $ to get justice.

As I said, if he weren't a wealthy celebrity, he never would have had an appeal that got anywhere, much less to the SC.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
My 2 takeaways are:

I get why that would be the obvious assumption, but in reality I don't think it will bother him at all. He's convinced he's not guilty of anything, and there are enough remaining fans who will believe the same. And even if they don't, they will look the other way the same way people still fawn allover OJ when he is in public. Cosby is going to finish his life believing he is the only victim in all of this and therefor will not lament his fall from grace, because he's going to view it as not his fault.

Agreed. He's got a lot of hubris. Note how he's suddenly desperate to cling to the identity of the average black man (or any poor person, he said) who got screwed by the justice system. Before he went the clink, he did his best looking down on average African-Americans and judging young peoples' style, language, motivations, etc, as if he was the designated arbiter of taste and proper behavior and education. That comedian who outed him a number of years ago to the point that everyone knew he had rape accusations did it largely because he was sick of Bill opening his mouth on those subjects. He now wants us to believe that he identifies with less affluent people who got thrown in prison for something they didn't do. He just lucked out so tremendously that Harvey Weinstein identifies better w/ those people than Cosby now does. I'm sure Harvey wishes that he had lucked into an imbecile the level of Bruce Castor. How many other people got the kind of deal Coz got? There's a guy in prison right now who has proven his innocence and he still can't get freed based on a technicality and Coz just staggers out of the joint on a whim. I just hope that his age prevents him from doing regular interviews in the coming time.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I suspect that Cosby will be like OJ. Both guys are pariahs in one way but both guys will have enough connections and fans and sycophants that they can live in comfort and find an audience that tells them what they want to hear.

And the people who said a poor black man doesn’t get that ruling, they’re right. While the decision was actually pretty easy and clear cut legally, most guys wouldn’t have the ability to get through the courts to get there. Or to get a fair hearing if they did. A lot of them wouldn’t even get their case heard.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject:

As insane as it was to overturn Cosby's conviction, I've been equally amazed that he got away with raping all those women going back to the '70s.

I'm way too young to remember Cosby in his prime, do any of you who know him better (as a celebrity) know how he evaded anything legal for all those decades? You'd think someone would've said something a really long time ago, but like I said I'm too young to know a lot about Cosby.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I've been equally amazed that he got away with raping all those women going back to the '70s.

I'm way too young to remember Cosby in his prime, do any of you who know him better (as a celebrity) know how he evaded anything legal for all those decades? You'd think someone would've said something a really long time ago,.

The simple answer is: Male Privilege. Even today, if your mother accused Tom Brady of sexual misconduct, she'd endure a litany of pundits expressing doubt and casting dispersions upon her, public scorn from his fandom, & death threats. Other women who Tom Brady had engaged similarly would witness your mother's sufferings and would be moved to remain silent to avoid a similar outcome. Encouraged by this reality, Tom would continue getting away with his behaviour.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: