Bill Cosby to be released from prison
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Bill Cosby to be released from prison

Quote:
Bill Cosby’s sex assault conviction will be overturned and the 83-year-old comedian will be released from prison after the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court issued an opinion to vacate his conviction Wednesday.

Pennsylvania’s highest court overturned the conviction after finding an agreement with a previous prosecutor prevented Cosby from being charged in the case.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/court-overturns-bill-cosbys-sex-assault-conviction-bars-further-prosecution.html

Very shocking news
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

On a technicality. He apparently was up for parole this year but HE REFUSED to participate in sex offender rehab or ever admit his guilt and said he'd rather stay in prison. So he basically learned nothing, doesn't feel remorse and because he's rich had the money to keep appealing he's out.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
On a technicality. He apparently was up for parole this year but HE REFUSED to participate in sex offender rehab or ever admit his guilt and said he'd rather stay in prison.

Why did that make them overturn it outright?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Very disappointing. Just further evidence of why it is so difficult to see sexual predators actually pay for their crimes and why so many victims hesitate to even come forward.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
On a technicality. He apparently was up for parole this year but HE REFUSED to participate in sex offender rehab or ever admit his guilt and said he'd rather stay in prison.

1) Court found a previous document where they agreed not to prosecute him.
2) Trial court judge let in testimony by other women he had raped. PA supreme court ruled that unfair.

Only this current case was within the statue of limitations. All the previous women he assaulted were outside the statue of limitations.

So the MF gets to go home without ever admitting guilt or apologizing.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject:

All American institutions are built to protect the rich and powerful. Normally that means rich white men, but Cosby was let into their club by virtue of his fame and popularity.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Harvey Weinstein probably has his lawyers on the phone right now looking for his technicality.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

2) Trial court judge let in testimony by other women he had raped. PA supreme court ruled that unfair.

Only this current case was within the statue of limitations. All the previous women he assaulted were outside the statue of limitations.

So refusing to accept parole led to the original conviction being looked at by the state Supreme Court? How?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

So refusing to accept parole led to the original conviction being looked at by the state Supreme Court? How?

No. You're conflating a whole bunch of things into one. Go read the article. The parole has no bearing on the case, it was just my commentary on his lack of remorse.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

How long before Cosby sues the state for his incarceration?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Elie Mystal @ElieNYC

This decision has more to do with the god awful prosecutor who initially wasn't interested in prosecuting Cosby for rape.

Essentially, the initial prosecutor promised to look the other way on, like, more rapes, which made Cosby talk. The PA Supreme is saying that Cosby was right to believe that prosecutor.

Court is not saying "Cosby isn't a rapist" it's saying "Prosecutors are allowed to not care."

For the record, I think this is an GOD AWFUL decision and should result in immediate PA legislation to both strengthen its rape prosecutions and PUNISH prosecutors who look the other way on rape.

Another point worth making was that ALL of this was litigated before. And the lower courts said that Cosby's admissions subsequent to the "deal" were admissible.

For the state Supreme to come in and overrule it *now* is... BULLCRAP

And the horrible prosecutor was Bruce Castor, also famous for being the horrible Trump defense attorney from the second Impeachment trial who rambled nonsense for two hours.

this guy
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
How long before Cosby sues the state for his incarceration?

July 1st. He'll probably win, too.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Harvey Weinstein probably has his lawyers on the phone right now looking for his technicality.

They have been doing that all along to no avail. This will have no bearing on his case because the circumstances behind Cosby's conviction being vacated have no commonality with Weinstein's case.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

No. You're conflating a whole bunch of things into one. Go read the article. The parole has no bearing on the case, it was just my commentary on his lack of remorse.

Why didn’t the defense just use this promise not to prosecute as a defense in the first place?

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Why didn’t the defense just use this promise not to prosecute as a defense in the first place?

The lower court ruled Cosby's self-incriminating testimony in his civil case could be used against him in the criminal case (even though the original prosecutor promised it wouldn't be used against him.) His current attorneys subsequently appealed the case up through the courts. Multiple lower courts ruled against Cosby.

Now the PA Supreme Court overruled the lower court decisions.

Apparently you've never watched Law & Order or any of their spinoffs?
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

The trial was trash from top to bottom. Allowing those women to testify, unsealing his deposition after he had an agreement with the prior DA. Even the ACTUAL accuser that he was on trial for...SHE TOOK THE MONEY. I'm not judging her for taking the money, but she took the money when she actually had the choice to cooperate in the criminal case. And that should've been that.

I knew once this moved up the appeals courts, it was gonna get tossed. I get that people felt good about getting a predator behind bars. But predators deserve fair trials too.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
The trial was trash from top to bottom. Allowing those women to testify, unsealing his deposition after he had an agreement with the prior DA. Even the ACTUAL accuser that he was on trial for...SHE TOOK THE MONEY. I'm not judging her for taking the money, but she took the money when she actually had the choice to cooperate in the criminal case. And that should've been that.

I knew once this moved up the appeals courts, it was gonna get tossed. I get that people felt good about getting a predator behind bars. But predators deserve fair trials too.

The POS got his fair trial, as the lower courts upheld. This lousy SC decision doesn't erase that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

The POS got his fair trial, as the lower courts upheld. This lousy SC decision doesn't erase that.

It actually did just that. Erased it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

The point is that he did get his fair trial, despite what the SC ruled. He's not the one who got treated wrongly, his victims are.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

The point is that he did get his fair trial, despite what the SC ruled. He's not the one who got treated wrongly, his victims are.

We'll just agree to disagree. I don't believe he got a fair trial. The people got their pound of flesh trial. I believe they knew it would eventually be overturned for the very reasons that it was overturned. But hey, they got 3 years of imprisonment out of the deal.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

We'll just agree to disagree. I don't believe he got a fair trial. The people got their pound of flesh trial. I believe they knew it would eventually be overturned for the very reasons that it was overturned. But hey, they got 3 years of imprisonment out of the deal.

Not even a fraction of what he actually deserved.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

A complete list of the 60 Bill Cosby accusers
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Not a fraction of what he actually deserved, but way more than what they should've gotten with that trash case.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

While I feel a sense of injustice at Cosby going free (just like I did when OJ got out of jail), what I'm really bothered by is all the victims (Cosby's victims and others') whose PTSD got triggered today by this news. Not a good day for them, to be sure.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Not a fraction of what he actually deserved, but way more than what they should've gotten with that trash case.

The lower courts disagreed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: