Scottie Pippen accuses Phil Jackson of being racist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

Don't want to really derail the topic, but you kinda see the racial undertones even in our own fan base....which is why i personally put that camp on blast.

Magic: incompetent, leaky, loud-mouthed, lazy, absentee and not putting in the work exec who “admonished” our white coach

Rob: smart, well-educated, tight-lipped, close to the vest, silent hard working exec who wouldn’t relent to a black coach’s demands so went with a white one that is more a “team player” (can’t ignore the Jeanie-Kurt-Phil dynamic here in relenting to Bron’s posse from hiring coach Lue to outright ignoring Melo with a roster spot; not saying they’re racist, but something clearly is going on there with that dynamic).

Both made the same mistakes then that only one is making now. Yet only one receives the overwhelming blame with little to no recognition for the short-term successes. While the other, is a religious folk hero that can do no wrong with his glorious transactions.

I mean I see it... and it’s wild others don’t or refuse to see it.

Eh, figured I would take a “stab” at it here...now “back” to your regularly scheduled discussion.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

On this subject: i got my own axe to grind:

- Chowderhead ownership and some of the fan base: Most certainly Racist!

- Lakers Ownership (Buss Family): NOT so!

Buck Foston
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Don't want to really derail the topic, but you kinda see the racial undertones even in our own fan base....which is why i personally put that camp on blast.

Magic: incompetent, leaky, loud-mouthed, lazy, absentee and not putting in the work exec who “admonished” our white coach

Rob: smart, well-educated, tight-lipped, close to the vest, silent hard working exec who wouldn’t relent to a black coach’s demands so went with a white one that is more a “team player”

Both made the same mistakes then that only one is making now. Yet only one receives the overwhelming blame with little to no recognition for the short-term successes.

I don't know if this particular example is valid, but I see your point. I represent employees in discrimination suits against employers and government entities. I deal with these sorts of issues on a frequent basis. Implicit bias affects the way that we perceive and evaluate employees of different races and genders. This effect is not limited to the members of any race, gender, or ethnic group. Everyone has it, it isn't something that you can easily filter. This is a subject that goes way beyond the scope of this board, so I'll leave it at that.

I've often perceived that this effect applies strongly to sports, and basketball in particular. For me, Exhibit A would be basketball coaches, especially at the college level. I don't mean the hiring process, which is a whole different subject. I mean the way that the media portrays coaches and the way that fans perceive them.

Does this actually apply to Magic and Pelinka? I'm not so sure, because Magic talks so much and did erratic things like quitting without notice. The apples-to-apples comparison might be Magic to Jim Buss/Mitch Kupchak. They got beat up a lot worse than Magic. But sure, I can see where you're coming from.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
It could just be that Phil is actually a 75-year old rich, white, male racist from Montana. I'd imagine that club is not exclusive.

Lol so being old, Rich, white and from Montana means there’s a high chance of being racist?

So does being black, wearing chains and baggy pants, and from Oakland means there’s a high chance of that person being a criminal?

If you are this and have this…it must mean this! Smh
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
It could just be that Phil is actually a 75-year old rich, white, male racist from Montana. I'd imagine that club is not exclusive.

Lol so being old, Rich, white and from Montana means there’s a high chance of being racist?

So does being black, wearing chains and baggy pants, and from Oakland means there’s a high chance of that person being a criminal?

All we've been doing the past ten years is trading one form of racism for another form.

This is precisely why a lunatic like Trump got 74 million votes... because even though the system has been racist for centuries... most people have now completely reversed the scenario where minorities are pure and only white males can be held accountable for saying stupid sh*t.

It was wrong when all minorities were evil and whites were pure... it's wrong now that we've reversed this trend.

So what happens now is moderates are being driven into the arms of extremists on either side.

We all should be able to talk like Barkley... but instead we've made some bizarre rule where only certain people can say certain things and make mistakes and others must completely follow the rules or lose their jobs.

Again, institutional racism still exists in all sectors of life... and there are huge inequities as a result of the system.

But canceling and scapegoating dumb celebrities is exactly what the powers that be want you to do... because it takes the attention from rich people (who happen to be mostly white males) who really are the problem.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I mean this is America--the odds of a rich, white person being racist is pretty high.
The odds of someone wearing baggy pants and chains being a douchebag is high, but a criminal? I would say lower than the rich white dude being a racist. I don't know about you, but I feel pretty safe when I'm in Oakland, whereas when I'm in a rural red state region and not wearing MAGA/Q gear I'm asking to be shot.

Those comments from Phil were racist, so it's not like we need to fabricate something, he said those things--now he may well not have meant to come off as racist, but it doesn't mean he doesn't see the world through very white colored glasses (not to mention there's all the cultural appropriation Phil has done through the years, with his white washed Buddhism and Native American shamanism).
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

And Pippen is a notoriously cheap a$$$hole, disliked by most of his colleagues, who needs to sell a book. Consider the source.

I'd still take a pre-1991 WCF James Worthy any day of the week.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
^^^ I’m not trying to get into a discussion about what is politically, morally or ethically correct. Just here for Lakers & hoop talk and in this circumstance was just the messenger. However, that posse term clearly struck a nerve with Maverick, Rich and Bron’s camp.

Unless you sincerely believe Sterling was the only one, racial undertones are clearly prevalent in the league today. You can simply look at the ownership/exec/coaching posse to see how painfully obvious it is.

and Jalen Rose just walked back his comments saying Kevin Love was only selected for the olympic team because they needed a "token white player"...
So yeah, racial undertones are prevalent in the league today and Jax aint one of them.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

nslander32 wrote:
And Pippen is a notoriously cheap a$$$hole, disliked by most of his colleagues, who needs to sell a book. Consider the source.

Peak Pippen vs Peak Worthy is very close. Both were the best small forwards in the league when both were in the their primes. Put a gun to my head, I choose Worthy because when its this close, you go with the guy who is unstoppable. Even the Pistons, renowned for their defense could do absolutely nothing with Worthy. Try Rodman, Mahorn, Dantley or Aguirre, it doesnt matter, Worthy is tearing them apart.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

How the world has changed... What was writable in 2001 can now be labelled as racist in 2021....
Everyone has the right to have their own opinion, and certainly that game 3 me-first attitude would help one think like Phil wrote some years later.
Hindsight is 20/20 but I do think Phil made the right call in that play, and if that call is the basis of Pips words.... he at least does a good job marketing his book
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Rob: smart, well-educated, tight-lipped, close to the vest, silent hard working exec who wouldn’t relent to a black coach’s demands so went with a white one that is more a “team player” (can’t ignore the Jeanie-Kurt-Phil dynamic here in relenting to Bron’s posse from hiring coach Lue to outright ignoring Melo with a roster spot; not saying they’re racist, but something clearly is going on there with that dynamic).

Both made the same mistakes then that only one is making now. Yet only one receives the overwhelming blame with little to no recognition for the short-term successes. While the other, is a religious folk hero that can do no wrong with his glorious transactions.

Eh, figured I would take a “stab” at it here...now “back” to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Growing up, 95% of the racism I experienced came from other minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, etc). We need to start calling that fact out, and the recent spike in hate crimes against Asians shows this (look up the perpetrator demographics). Russell Peters even joked about it in one of his popular shows 15 years ago, and NOTHING has changed since then. We're bringing each other down and then keeping people down more than any white person could. One of the reasons Kwame is so popular now on social media (300k subs and growing) is because he's going against the popular mainstream narratives on race. It's always the same media personalities (Lemon, Reid, etc) telling people how oppressed they are, while they rake in millions of dollars. They're not lifting people up. They are keeping them oppressed. They are the real racists.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

(no message)

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
nslander32 wrote:

Peak Pippen vs Peak Worthy is very close. Both were the best small forwards in the league when both were in the their primes. Put a gun to my head, I choose Worthy because when its this close, you go with the guy who is unstoppable. Even the Pistons, renowned for their defense could do absolutely nothing with Worthy. Try Rodman, Mahorn, Dantley or Aguirre, it doesnt matter, Worthy is tearing them apart.

I agree its close, and one can make a compelling case for No-Tippin. But ultimately, James subordinated his entire career to not one, but two other players, while the other guy refused to get off the bench when the coach drew up one play for another player. In the playoffs.

Mostly, I'm frustrated Worthy's injury in the '91 WCF forever set the narrative about the two players' relative quality. And the arcs of their teams.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

nslander32 wrote:

I was just reviewing and recapping the Laker win at Chicago in the 92 RS and Worthy had a killer game (Mike played one of the worst gms I've ever seen out of him). Hadn't seen said game since it aired so I had forgotten, but it'll definitely make any viewers wonder what coulda been had James been healthy in those 91 Finals.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Im willing to hear Pippen out since:
a) Pippen is black and I'm not (although I am a minority).
b) Pippen played for Pjax for 11 years (locker room, plane flights, practices, etc etc)
c) Giving any human the benefit of the doubt since I haven't been in their shoes

That being said, the examples he chose in the interview to justify his claim were questionable, but maybe if I had the experiences Pippen had with Pjax those examples wouldve made more sense with the appropriate context.

Personally, it doesn't seem so far fetched to fathom. Theres a perspective where Pjax can come off as an egotistical, patriarchal, self righteous sham intellectual, which if true, could lend itself to the same complex that plague the minds of a large portion of racist bigots and white supremacist culture.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Growing up, 95% of the racism I experienced came from other minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, Italian, etc). We need to start calling that fact out, and the recent spike in hate crimes against Asians shows this (look up the perpetrator demographics). Russell Peters even joked about it in one of his popular shows 15 years ago, and NOTHING has changed since then. We're bringing each other down and then keeping people down more than any white person could. One of the reasons Kwame is so popular now on social media (300k subs and growing) is because he's going against the popular mainstream narratives on race. It's always the same media personalities (Lemon, Reid, etc) telling people how oppressed they are, while they rake in millions of dollars. They're not lifting people up. They are keeping them oppressed. They are the real racists.

Victim blaming is one of the most effective tools of the oppressor.

What the data show is that when BIPOC do all of the things the "pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps" crowd recommend - education, neighborhood, saving/investing patterns - it's still not enough to overcome implicit bias and structural racism.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

can't believe LG bought what Pip was selling... jeeezz, he got you hook line and sinker

LOL
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Scottie has never been a rocket scientist, i.e. signing a long contract for 25% of his value in his prime.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Pip was a great player, that’s it.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I mean this is America--the odds of a rich, white person being racist is pretty high.
The odds of someone wearing baggy pants and chains being a douchebag is high, but a criminal? I would say lower than the rich white dude being a racist. I don't know about you, but I feel pretty safe when I'm in Oakland, whereas when I'm in a rural red state region and not wearing MAGA/Q gear I'm asking to be shot.

Ok well that’s you. I’ve been to Oakland, which is why I mentioned it. I’m from Hawaii and I mentioned in a game thread that I went to the Jazz Clipper game in SLC a couple weeks ago. Afterwards I traveled to a lot of rural areas in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. Being Polynesian, I felt several times safer in these rural areas than in Oakland.

I never once wore any MAGA apparel during my stay (or ever in general) and not once have I felt like them Whitties were plotting against me. I’d bet actually wearing MAGA gear in Oakland would put you in far more danger.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Ok well that’s you. I’ve been to Oakland, which is why I mentioned it. I’m from Hawaii and I mentioned in a game thread that I went to the Jazz Clipper game in SLC a couple weeks ago. Afterwards I traveled to a lot of rural areas in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. Being Polynesian, I felt several times safer in these rural areas than in Oakland.

I never once wore any MAGA apparel during my stay (or ever in general) and not once have I felt like them Whitties were plotting against me. I’d bet actually wearing MAGA gear in Oakland would put you in far more danger.

For real haha.. Not sure in what world outside of trying to sensationalize things that Oakland is more safe. First time I ever heard that before and I grew in California but to each there own I guess.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

What the data show is that when BIPOC do all of the things the "pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps" crowd recommend - education, neighborhood, saving/investing patterns - it's still not enough to overcome implicit bias and structural racism.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html

Just wanted to add a couple things:

A lot of “minority on minority” issues are caused by a divide and conquer strategy of putting people against each other.

If you actually do as was suggested and look up the numbers, you will find that the largest group attacking Asians is white…
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Just wanted to add a couple things:

A lot of “minority on minority” issues are caused by a divide and conquer strategy of putting people against each other.

If you actually do as was suggested and look up the numbers, you will find that the largest group attacking Asians is white…

This is just straight up wrong, and one of the reasons the media isn't covering it anymore. Jump to the bottom of page 13: https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv18.pdf

They exploit demographics for political reasons and then back off when the "wrong" race is involved.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

It's more nuanced and complex than just "pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps". Thomas Sowell provides pretty good insight on why it's happening and it's not "structural racism", which is suggesting that there are laws that discriminate against race (illegal and unconstitutional). In fact, it would be more accurate to blame it on "white guilt": https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/03/the_decline_of_the_africanamerican_family.html
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Those comments from Phil were racist, so it's not like we need to fabricate something, he said those things--now he may well not have meant to come off as racist, but it doesn't mean he doesn't see the world through very white colored glasses (not to mention there's all the cultural appropriation Phil has done through the years, with his white washed Buddhism and Native American shamanism).

This literally just happened in Oakland: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/30/oakland-tv-crew-robbery/

I'm not a Trump or Biden guy, but I'm taking my chances in "MAGA country". BlueAnon is a much bigger threat than QAnon.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: