Breaking - AEG sold their 27% stake in Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I haven't seen the Buss kids exhibit any particular talents...

Jesse Buss says hello.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AEG had the right to buy if the Buss family ever sold. Now that AEG is out, hopefully the Buss family sells.

Since the Buss family has had the ownership, they have won how many rings? At least 11, right?

Jerry Buss owned the franchise until 2013. Since "the Buss Family" has owned the team (meaning the trust), we've won one ring.

I think everyone here thought Jerry Buss was a great owner. That doesn't mean his kids are. Many of those 11 rings were won before Jerry even gave his kids jobs at the Lakers, so I don't see why you give them any credit for that.

I mean, the "Clint Eastwood Family" has won 3 Oscars; that doesn't make Scott Eastwood a great actor.

Jeanie Buss's record doesn't make her a poor owner.

She has more rings than many NBA owners combined.

The Lakers won a ring last year. If you want to give Jeanie credit for that, that's your business.

I haven't seen the Buss kids exhibit any particular talents, and I don't think they're good owners

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Jesse Buss says hello.

To be fair, Jimbo was the mastermind behind both drafting Bynum and trading for CP3. So in an alternate reality where basketball reasons doesn’t happen and Bynum doesn’t have knee problems and develops into an MVP level center, Jimbo would actually be viewed as a genius.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Jesse Buss says hello.

To be fair, Jimbo was the mastermind behind both drafting Bynum and trading for CP3. So in an alternate reality where basketball reasons doesn’t happen and Bynum doesn’t have knee problems and develops into an MVP level center, Jimbo would actually be viewed as a genius.

If the CP3 deal goes down, Kobe wins 2 more rings, minimum, and Jim stays as PBO. Mitch probably still gets blown out so Jesse can become GM.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject:

There’s a pressure that comes in playing for the Lakers that worked against us. It did take good moves from owners to get this right. For example, until Magic came on board FAs were flocking to other NBA teams. When Magic came, Lebron soon followed. Hiring Rob Pelinka was a Jeanie/Buss family move (maybe in discussion/advice with Kobe). Rob is key as he knew the agent game and got in bed with Klutch. Rob knew how to navigate that collaboration with players and their agents. He worked on KCP first, established a trust with Rich.

Look at the Knicks. They were doing horrible, but once they copied the Lakers model, they have gotten some stability and respectability this year. Dolan specifically told his assistants to get a model in that mimics what the Lakers were able to do. Which is why they went with WWW. Suddenly 1.5 years later the Knicks are looking somewhat stable.

Sure Bron chose Lakers in part because they are the Yankees of basketball but he also chose Miami because Wade was playing there and Bosh was coming. He went back to CLE because of his connection to the city/Ohio. There’s no way Bron comes to the Lakers unless he feels 1) he can trust ownership to make the right moves and 2) ownership is stable. This was proven when they traded for AD and they won a title immediately.

Lots of owners would have gotten confused as to a) whether Bron was washed or not and b) whether selling all their young assets for AD to go all in on a perceived washed James at the time was the right move. I don’t think this ownership is perfect but they do understand big moves and what it takes to win rings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
For example, until Magic came on board FAs were flocking to other NBA teams.

What? They still are. We capitalized on the Team Lebron/Hollywood/Space Jam angle, and we got Lebron. That's great. But no other free agent of any consequence joined us. So your argument boils down to the idea that the Buss kids are good owners because they agreed to turn things over to Team Lebron.

I'm not rooting for them to fail. It would be great if they proved my skepticism to be unwarranted. But I see people claiming that the bubble title validates Pelinka and the Buss kids. Really, the bubble title was the minimum acceptable result from the first three years of the Team Lebron era. The test comes as we move toward the the closing of the Lebron window and beyond. In other words, what happens as the quick fix fades?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Jesse Buss says hello.

And don't forget the masterful MozDeng...
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/1408902933396160517?s=21
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject:

the league is getting too big for the Buss family. they belong in the pre-2000 days of the NBA, where most of the teams were owned by families. nothing wrong being a mom and pop shop, but not for the biggest basketball brand in the world. always having people whom you familiar with running the team is the main reason i want Buss family out.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
the league is getting too big for the Buss family. they belong in the pre-2000 days of the NBA, where most of the teams were owned by families. nothing wrong being a mom and pop shop, but not for the biggest basketball brand in the world. always having people whom you familiar with running the team is the main reason i want Buss family out.

Jeanie wants to keep her dad’s legacy going, but I think she realizes in the world we all live in with Ballmer, Kroenke, etc. stupid money she and her siblings need help and so this partnership with the Dodgers brass makes sense.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Jesse Buss says hello.

In an alternate reality where my Aunt has nuts. She'd be my Uncle.

Jokes aside. It was idiotic to push through that CP3 trade when owners were meeting about the disadvantageous small market teams faced. If Jimmy waited to make that trade. It has a much better chance of going through.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject:

[quote="LakerSD"]
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

SCOOP: Dodgers Owners Boehly, Walter Buy Anschutz’s Lakers Stake https://

I see!

This is good![/quote

I just read that this morning. This is not good....this is phenomenal! If their stake enables Jeannie to absorb the cost to go over the luxury tax threshold, we can build a team "smartly" as RP stated, and not be so concerned about cost. Noiceeeeeeee!!!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

I see!

This is good!
As shared at http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=191382&sid=0325f85cb5b099c66c8034679dac1176

For sure they have $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and maybe there will be cross-promotion - though the Lakers & Dodgers don't need much but it could add a great number of fans booing Clipper/Angel athletes in attendance - lol!!!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Jeanie wants to keep her dad’s legacy going, but I think she realizes in the world we all live in with Ballmer, Kroenke, etc. stupid money she and her siblings need help and so this partnership with the Dodgers brass makes sense.
Jeanie is in a great shape, while being very sharp and shrewd in properly planning for the future success of the LAKERS!!

Imagine the lure of NBA players going to the Lakers realizing that direct access to the Dodgers' fan base is available

Smart move for the Dodgers since now they will have direct access to front row seats for their star athletes

Win Win Win Win

Plus Phillip is now 81 years old and might want to transition to other businesses (considering his vast number of sport and real estate assets that he presently owns)
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

I see!

This is good!
As shared at http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=191382&sid=0325f85cb5b099c66c8034679dac1176

For sure they have $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and maybe there will be cross-promotion - though the Lakers & Dodgers don't need much but it could add a great number of fans booing Clipper/Angel athletes in attendance - lol!!!

We are in great shape, mad China man.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Magic Johnson sold his 4% stake in the Lakers on 2010 for $27M. It is now worth $200M.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

I see!
This is good!

We are in great shape, mad China man.
Agree

They have the means to pay the luxury tax while ownership having "compensation" in other ways tht is not available
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Completely misguided takes. Almost every team is basically family owned. They may have some corporate holding company to own them for tax purposes (the Lakers were owned by California Sports, Inc., which was owned by Jerry Buss), but the teams are basically still rich people's toys. There's very little difference between the operation of the Lakers, Clippers, CAVS, Bucks or Pelicans.

The W's have a different set up because of their large syndicate of owners, but at the operational level, I'd bet it looks much like the Lakers' "Mom & Pop" shop.

You might think that corporate/billionaire ownership allows them to spend more money on ancillary things, etc., but that's not the case. All teams work under a budget and the Lakers, quite frankly, probably have as much operating capital as any team in the league.

For those who pine about corporate ownership vs. "mom & pop," remember that CBS owned the Yankees, Fox owned the Dodgers, Disney owned the Angels, etc., and all sold out as soon as they could. Owning a "Big-3" sports franchise in the US is problematic for corporations whose primary interest is shareholder return.

I still haven't seen evidence of these "better" owners than the Buss kids.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Magic Johnson sold his 4% stake in the Lakers on 2010 for $27M. It is now worth $200M.

Magic almost tripled his investment of $10M on the deal. IIRC, Magic also sold his Starbucks franchises the same week to take advantage of some tax break. That money was all bundled into Magic's stake in the Dodgers.

Because baseball's books are closed, there's no real way to see if Magic's 4.5% of the Lakers was more or less valuable than his 2.3% of the Dodgers, especially since there are many more revenue generating activities connected to baseball ownership.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Magic almost tripled his investment of $10M on the deal. IIRC, Magic also sold his Starbucks franchises the same week to take advantage of some tax break. That money was all bundled into Magic's stake in the Dodgers.

Because baseball's books are closed, there's no real way to see if Magic's 4.5% of the Lakers was more or less valuable than his 2.3% of the Dodgers, especially since there are many more revenue generating activities connected to baseball ownership.

Exactly. The Dodgers were bot for $2B in 2012. That's almost 10 years now. I have seen the same $50mm buy in for a 2.3% stake as well.

In 2021 the Dodgers were valued for $3.6B so simple math says Magic's stake is worth around $85mm.

But the crown jewel for the Dodgers is the cable rights ownership etc and I don't know the specifics on that.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Completely misguided takes. Almost every team is basically family owned. They may have some corporate holding company to own them for tax purposes (the Lakers were owned by California Sports, Inc., which was owned by Jerry Buss), but the teams are basically still rich people's toys. There's very little difference between the operation of the Lakers, Clippers, CAVS, Bucks or Pelicans.

Naw. The other teams are owned by people who became billionaires running some sort of business and then bought a sports franchise. In the case of the Buss kids, none of them have been successful in business to my knowledge, and they are all dependent to some degree on income from the team. The bulk of the family’s wealth lies in income from, and the valuation of, the franchise. The Buss family is analogous to the O’Malleys and other old school sports owners, not to the other current NBA owners.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Naw. The other teams are owned by people who became billionaires running some sort of business and then bought a sports franchise. In the case of the Buss kids, none of them have been successful in business to my knowledge, and they are all dependent to some degree on income from the team. The bulk of the family’s wealth lies in income from, and the valuation of, the franchise. The Buss family is analogous to the O’Malleys and other old school sports owners, not to the other current NBA owners.

If your point is that the Buss' have no relevant business experience outside of the Lakers, that is a different argument. There may be some merit to it.

However, if you look at the Steelers, Dan Rooney's only job was working for his dad with the team and when he took over, the team went to 4 SB, winning 2, in his 24 years, which compares to his dad's 4/4 in 55 years.

Ditto the NY Football Giants. John Mara's first real job was working for his dad with the team and he has 2 SB in 15 years, while his dad had 2 SB in 46 years.

Because NBA revenue is not as stable as the NFL, there isn't the same ability to measure long term ownership. The Buss' are the longest tenured owners currently in the NBA and the only ones with more than 30 years' ownership to have a generational transfer.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

If your point is that the Buss' have no relevant business experience outside of the Lakers, that is a different argument. There may be some merit to it.

However, if you look at the Steelers, Dan Rooney's only job was working for his dad with the team and when he took over, the team went to 4 SB, winning 2, in his 24 years, which compares to his dad's 4/4 in 55 years.

Ditto the NY Football Giants. John Mara's first real job was working for his dad with the team and he has 2 SB in 15 years, while his dad had 2 SB in 46 years.

Because NBA revenue is not as stable as the NFL, there isn't the same ability to measure long term ownership. The Buss' are the longest tenured owners currently in the NBA and the only ones with more than 30 years' ownership to have a generational transfer.

NFL is littered with "Family Business". Look at KC with the Hunts, don't forget the Raiders with the Davis family and of course the Chargers with the Spanos family.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Exactly. The Dodgers were bot for $2B in 2012. That's almost 10 years now. I have seen the same $50mm buy in for a 2.3% stake as well.

In 2021 the Dodgers were valued for $3.6B so simple math saysMagic's stake is worth around $85mm.

But the crown jewel for the Dodgers is the cable rights ownership etc and I don't know the specifics on that.

NBA experienced explosive growth during the last decade. Imagine if he didn't invest in the Dodgers but instead doubled his investment in the Lakers with that $50M, he would have like $400M right now, almost doubling his current total net worth of $600M according to google.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
NFL is littered with "Family Business". Look at KC with the Hunts, don't forget the Raiders with the Davis family and of course the Chargers with the Spanos family.

Don't forget Green Bay. The modern NFL is the paradigm for "sports socialism." The TV money is split evenly, and that's the bulk of the income from every team (somewhere around $275M per team). If one franchise generates exceptional local revenue due to ticket sales, sponsorships, naming rights, etc., it doesn't matter to everyone else because the NFL has a hard cap. So if the Giants generate $100M more in local revenue than the Bills, it does not give the Giants a competitive advantage. Conversely, barring unusual circumstances, the owners have little or no risk of needing to reach into their own pockets to finance their teams.

So sure, you've got some NFL teams that have been owned by families or, in the case of the Packers, by fans who have purchased stock. In a league based on sports socialism, you can do that.

Now, consider what it would look like if the NFL switched to the NBA model. National telecasts would be limited, so a lot more money would come from local TV deals. What would the local TV deal look like for Green Bay or Buffalo or Pittsburgh? With no hard cap, owners like Jerry Jones could find ways to spend a lot more than everyone else. Given time, teams like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and New Orleans would be screwed. One way or another, the families would move out, and the billionaires would take their place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: