Breaking - AEG sold their 27% stake in Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

SCOOP: Dodgers Owners Boehly, Walter Buy Anschutz’s Lakers Stake https://

I see!

This is good!
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

I see!

This is good!

Really good. Brilliant move by those two. You own the Dodgers and now you own the other crown jewel of LA Sports.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AEG had the right to buy if the Buss family ever sold. Now that AEG is out, hopefully the Buss family sells.

Since the Buss family has had the ownership, they have won how many rings? At least 11, right?

Jerry Buss owned the franchise until 2013. Since "the Buss Family" has owned the team (meaning the trust), we've won one ring.

I think everyone here thought Jerry Buss was a great owner. That doesn't mean his kids are. Many of those 11 rings were won before Jerry even gave his kids jobs at the Lakers, so I don't see why you give them any credit for that.

I mean, the "Clint Eastwood Family" has won 3 Oscars; that doesn't make Scott Eastwood a great actor.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
AEG had the right to buy if the Buss family ever sold. Now that AEG is out, hopefully the Buss family sells.

I doubt this will have any effect on what the Buss family will do.

It's nothing more than a big corporation moving money around to suit its strategic goals.

The only potential Buss issue here is if the right of first refusal doesn’t carry to the buyer, because that could free the way for Jim and John to be cashed out in some form.

From what I've read, the individual Busses do not legally own a percentage of the Lakers that they can sell. The decisions have to be made by the collective members of the Buss Family Trust. I don't see why AEG selling its shares would in any way affect the rules of the Bush Family Trust, but that's just a layman's opinion.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
hopefully the Buss family sells.

Unless it is to Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk F no!
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Since the Buss family has had the ownership, they have won how many rings? At least 11, right?

Jerry Buss owned the franchise until 2013. Since "the Buss Family" has owned the team (meaning the trust), we've won one ring.

I think everyone here thought Jerry Buss was a great owner. That doesn't mean his kids are. Many of those 11 rings were won before Jerry even gave his kids jobs at the Lakers, so I don't see why you give them any credit for that.

I mean, the "Clint Eastwood Family" has won 3 Oscars; that doesn't make Scott Eastwood a great actor.

Jeanie Buss's record doesn't make her a poor owner.

She has more rings than many NBA owners combined.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The Lakers won a ring last year. If you want to give Jeanie credit for that, that's your business.

I haven't seen the Buss kids exhibit any particular talents, and I don't think they're good owners
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Becareful what you wish for with those guys. Being the richest doesn’t always mean contention.

Kroenke was bad before but now he desperately wants to gain traction in LA so he’s letting the football people do their thing.

Dodgers ownership is the safe group.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Time for Magic’s revenge?

I hope not!!

Yeah. No Kidding. Everyone will be 6'9'' and can't shoot

Lol

Lakers owner Magic Johnson announces deal for Ben Simmons.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

OK. So in 8 years, they won a title. Actually within 7 years of Dr Buss passing it on to family.

1 title in 7 years is bad?

As I said, they are not great owners, and I am not arguing they are even on the level of Dr Buss. But results speak volumes. We have a percentage of the fanbase that likes to pretend that the ring last year never happened. 1 title in 7 tears is faster pace than what are seen as elite owners like Cuban.

Again, not arguing they are the best owners or even in the top echelon, but they are far from a group (especially since Jeanie took over) where you wish they would sell the franchise. Within Jeanie's control (2017 early), the Lakers have yielded Lebron James 15 months later, AD 27 months later, a title 3 years later. I do not see that as an ownership I wish would sell. And the most important thing here is that it is clear, Jeanie values winning. The Lakers have been having losses financially, but the pursuit to win will remain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DeeAgeaux wrote:
activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The Lakers won a ring last year. If you want to give Jeanie credit for that, that's your business.

I haven't seen the Buss kids exhibit any particular talents, and I don't think they're good owners

What metric are you using?

In 2011, when "Basketball Reasons" cancelled the CP3 trade, Mitch Kupchak said it would take 10 years to recover from Stern's debacle.

Buss died in February, 2013. Two months later, Kobe tore his Achilles. With 35 year old Kobe injured, 39 year old Nash injured, 33 year old Gasol injured and Dwight bolting for FA, did you expect anything other than a long rebuild?

In 2020, nine years after Mitch's forecast and 7 years after Dr. Buss passed, they won a championship and were on track to go back to back until the injury bug hit.

In the meantime, they've been as profitable as any team in the league. The team value continues to skyrocket, as did revenues (pre-pandemic).

If you don't like Jeanie or her style, that's your choice and you're entitled to make it. But there's no objective way you can criticize her results running the team.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Lmao Elon Musk???

Yeah let’s get an even more meddling and attention-hungry owner. Cuban on crack.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

She’s had success, yes, but it’s tantalizing to imagine an ownership that would spare no expense and hire the best minds out there, like the Dodgers have. Kurt and Linda Rambis would not be part of the brain trust. Better sports science and analytics departments. Hiring would be merit-based and not relationship or “former laker” based.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

I see!

Also part of Magic's ownership group of the Dodgers...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Dodgers owners Mark Walter and Todd Boehly are purchasing the minority stake of the Los Angeles Lakers being sold by billionaire Philip Anschultz, according to five people with direct knowledge of the matter.

The transaction values the Lakers at about $5 billion, according to two of the people, who were granted anonymity because the matter is private. Sportico last night reported that Anschutz, founder of entertainment giant AEG, was selling his 27% stake in the storied basketball franchise. The Lakers are held by Anschutz personally and are not part of AEG’s holdings.
While no official details of the transaction were disclosed, it can be estimated from the stated facts that the purchase was for about $1.3 billion. Walter and Boehly are a part of Magic Johnson’s ownership team that bought the Dodgers in 2012.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if this means magic might be involved in some capacity with the Lakers again?

deal wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

I see!

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

It was thought that Magic becoming president was the first inroad of an eventual sale to a group that would make Magic the face of ownership (including his having a healthy equity stake). It always felt kind of odd that he would walk out in a blaze of glory over not having the final say on firing Luke Walton. It was a transactional level detail when he was supposed to be playing in the capital game.

His money partners buying AEG's stake follows that broader strategy of eventually buying the team. The cross marketing between the Dodgers and Lakers has remained very strong and Jeanie has gone out of her way to reconcile things with Magic.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Wonder if this means magic might be involved in some capacity with the Lakers again?

deal wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
Scott Soshnick
@soshnick

I see!

I don't think Magic is part of this transaction.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Time for Magic’s revenge?

Too soon.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

OK. So in 8 years, they won a title. Actually within 7 years of Dr Buss passing it on to family.

1 title in 7 years is bad?

As I said, they are not great owners, and I am not arguing they are even on the level of Dr Buss. But results speak volumes. We have a percentage of the fanbase that likes to pretend that the ring last year never happened. 1 title in 7 tears is faster pace than what are seen as elite owners like Cuban.

Again, not arguing they are the best owners or even in the top echelon, but they are far from a group (especially since Jeanie took over) where you wish they would sell the franchise. Within Jeanie's control (2017 early), the Lakers have yielded Lebron James 15 months later, AD 27 months later, a title 3 years later. I do not see that as an ownership I wish would sell. And the most important thing here is that it is clear, Jeanie values winning. The Lakers have been having losses financially, but the pursuit to win will remain.

I don't really care if the Busses sell; I just won't think the family provides any value-add and their absence wouldn't have a detrimental impact on the team. Whether a new owner would bring a value-add depends on the owner.

The team benefits from its place in Los Angeles and its reflected glory from past accomplishments. Those are advantages most teams don't have, so some of your arguments are apples-to-oranges in my view.

I think Cuban would do much better in Los Angeles than Jeanie would do in Dallas.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
In 2020, nine years after Mitch's forecast and 7 years after Dr. Buss passed, they won a championship and were on track to go back to back until the injury bug hit.

I don't remember Mitch saying that, but I'll take your word for it. Who really cares anyway? Regardless, if that's your standard for a good owner, you should reconsider your standards. The Lakers are the premier franchise in the NBA and one of the premier brands in the entire sports world. If the Yankees, or Manchester United, or Real Madrid, manage to win a championship once every ten years, I can guarantee you that no one would be talking about the good ownership. The Lakers are a high profile, high revenue franchise with a prestigious history in a huge market. We are not just another NBA team.

So the Lakers managed to win the bubble title by selling out and becoming the latest franchise of Team Lebron. You think that's good ownership? Okay. I'll take the title, for sure, but it is going to take more than that to sell me on the Buss kids as owners. As far as I can tell, the older Buss kids are pretty mediocre, and I haven't seen signs that the younger Buss kids will be an upgrade.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie is doing a good job since she removed her brother.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I don't remember Mitch saying that, but I'll take your word for it. Who really cares anyway? Regardless, if that's your standard for a good owner, you should reconsider your standards. The Lakers are the premier franchise in the NBA and one of the premier brands in the entire sports world. If the Yankees, or Manchester United, or Real Madrid, manage to win a championship once every ten years, I can guarantee you that no one would be talking about the good ownership. The Lakers are a high profile, high revenue franchise with a prestigious history in a huge market. We are not just another NBA team.

So the Lakers managed to win the bubble title by selling out and becoming the latest franchise of Team Lebron. You think that's good ownership? Okay. I'll take the title, for sure, but it is going to take more than that to sell me on the Buss kids as owners. As far as I can tell, the older Buss kids are pretty mediocre, and I haven't seen signs that the younger Buss kids will be an upgrade.

Curious as to who you view as great owners.

Warriors? Bought a team that already had Steph Curry and sucked enough to grab Klay Thompson in the lottery their 1st year. Except for KD joining a 73-win team, all they've done is keep the team together.

Spurs? Tanked to get Duncan and since he retired, they managed to alienate Kawhi Leonard and the team looks like a mess.

Mavs? Cuban bought a team that already had Dirk Nowitzki & Michael Finley. They've won 1 ring in his 21 years of ownership and haven't won a playoff series in a decade.

Heat? Credit to Arison. He brought in Riles and got out of the way. 3 rings in 27 years . . . about the same pace as Jeanie . . . and benefitted from Shaq & Lebron forcing their way to Miami.

Cleveland? Gilbert? GTFO.

Celtics? Current ownership has one ring in 20 years.

Raptors? Maybe - they have a tough job running the team in a foreign country . . . but, again, 1 ring in 26 years (and that one came because the Spurs wanted to spite the Lakers).

That's it for teams that have won since Jerry Buss died.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if AEG was kinda hoping that the Buss kids would implode and they would be able to buy a majority stake. With Jim Buss was in charge of the basketball side, that wasn't a bad bet.

Now that the team has won a chip under her watch, Jeanie's control over the rest of her siblings is set and the other kids probably wouldn't be able to force a sale even if they wanted to. AEG doesn't want to tie up their capital forever, so they got out.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Curious as to who you view as great owners.

Warriors? Bought a team that already had Steph Curry and sucked enough to grab Klay Thompson in the lottery their 1st year. Except for KD joining a 73-win team, all they've done is keep the team together.

Spurs? Tanked to get Duncan and since he retired, they managed to alienate Kawhi Leonard and the team looks like a mess.

Mavs? Cuban bought a team that already had Dirk Nowitzki & Michael Finley. They've won 1 ring in his 21 years of ownership and haven't won a playoff series in a decade.

Heat? Credit to Arison. He brought in Riles and got out of the way. 3 rings in 27 years . . . about the same pace as Jeanie . . . and benefitted from Shaq & Lebron forcing their way to Miami.

Those are the four obvious choices, though not in that order. No matter how much you want to mock them, they actually built teams and won a lot of games without all of the built-in advantages of the Lakers. This is true for other owners whose teams haven’t won titles. You’re fixated with ring counting, but owners don’t play or coach or (with some exceptions like Jerry Jones) build rosters. Furthermore, teams don’t operate on equal terms. The Spurs, Grizzlies, and Jazz operate under circumstances that are hard for a lot of Lakers fans to comprehend.

Meanwhile, the Buss kids bumbled, bickered, and backstabbed, then turned the franchise over to Team Lebron for a quick fix. Yay.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: