$42.3M Projected tax bill largest in Lakers history
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: $42.3M Projected tax bill largest in Lakers history

Quote:
Make that 13 players under contract with the vet minimum exception available.

A strong 3 signings with Monk, THT and Nunn

$42.3M projected tax bill which would be the largest in Lakers history.

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1422667877161881608
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject:

But, but, but Jeanie iz to cheep and wont spend any money cuz lakerz is to mom an pop.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject:

so, how much more would that the tax bill have been with caruso making 10 a year?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Balmer being worth 100x's what the Buss's are really shined brightly this free agency.. I mean just look at the Clippers roster versus ours.....

Sickening how cheap Jeanie is, amiright?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
so, how much more would that the tax bill have been with caruso making 10 a year?

Roughly an additional 4.5 * 3.25 + 4.5 * 3.75 = $31.5 million
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

No way, I heard from LG experts that the Buss family were too cheap
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Yossi Gozlan wrote:
Aug 3, 2021ReplyRetweetFavorite
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

For reference Tsai / Lacob are looking at 122m / 197m respectively as repeater tax offenders.

The addition of AC would have been another 26m in taxes give or take. Speaking of which, take a look at the link in my siggy for details on those calculations.

I stand firm in my stance that the Lakers “cheaped out” on their man AC.

You want ring$...put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise shhh 🤫
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Caruso is not going to be a difference-maker in winning a championship. Besides, they signed Kendrick Nunn who is better than Caruso at a fraction of the cost.

Nothing but facts right here. I'm truthfully a bit shocked at this point any hardcore Laker fans are still THAT bitter over losing him. We not only got Nunn for much cheaper but also only 1-2 years which keeps the books much more clean in 2 years. We also kept the much better prospect in THT which most realistically knew we'd probably lose one of these two. I dont see any cheapening out in the slightest, I see a Front Office who did the clear cut smart decisions for the now and the future.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

And I’m a bit shocked folks aren’t acknowledging the “if healthy” discussion of yesteryear.

Russ will shield Bron. Love it and couldn’t ask for anything more being in the mostly powerless situation we were in.

But we’ve seen some fluky stuff and god forbid, one if our trio go down for a lengthy portion. Heading into the deadline, we could potentially see names where if we brought them in, it could salvage the ever shrinking Bron tithe window. You turn to the roster and you’re forced now to send out THT as any meaningful salary.

Instead of letting AC walk, it’s yet another dude that has been impactful in his play, can still be meaningful salary/asset in a deal and more importantly adds that much more depth for our trio. Russ is going to cover Bron more, but I’m sure we still want to cover Russ as well.

Dude was an above average player on a below average deal. UnbelievaBull asset and we’re asses for letting it go.

At about 8.5m, we let this guy go and I’m sorry, it was a terribull non-move. I know its not my money...but it is my opinion nonetheless.

This is our window...utilize every asset you got till it’s closed.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
And I’m a bit shocked folks aren’t acknowledging the “if healthy” discussion of yesteryear.

Russ will shield Bron. Love it and couldn’t ask for anything more being in the mostly powerless situation we were in.

But we’ve seen some fluky stuff and god forbid, one if our trio go down for a lengthy portion. Heading into the deadline, we could potentially see names where if we brought them in, it could salvage the ever shrinking Bron tithe window. You turn to the roster and you’re forced now to send out THT as any meaningful salary.

Instead of letting AC walk, it’s yet another dude that has been impactful in his play, can still be meaningful salary/asset in a deal and more importantly adds that much more depth for our trio. Russ is going to cover Bron more, but I’m sure we still want to cover Russ as well.

Dude was an above average player on a below average deal. UnbelievaBull asset and we’re asses for letting it go.

At about 8.5m, we let this guy go and I’m sorry, it was a terribull non-move. I know its not my money...but it is my opinion nonetheless.

I think you're ignoring three key points:

1 - Lakers are clearly "all in" on THT as the eventual starting SG,
2 - Kendrick Nunn is a better/cheaper option at PG - solid defender/great handle,
3 - Caruso's replacements in his 20 minutes won't be complete zeros - what is lost in defensive intensity will be made up for on the other side. [I'm really intrigued by Malik Monk].

Bottom line - I don't think there were going to be minutes for AC.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Ok, fine. Hear to eat crow cause i called Jeanine cheap.
But...THT and Nunn stand as he only non-min signings this off season.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

2 - Kendrick Nunn is a better/cheaper option at PG - solid defender/great handle,
3 - Caruso's replacements in his 20 minutes won't be complete zeros - what is lost in defensive intensity will be made up for on the other side. [I'm really intrigued by Malik Monk].

That’s a fair retort.

There might not be minutes, but there will be situations. He would have given us such a luxury in that if we needed stops or to secure the lead in close games, him and Russ hounding the ball-handler wound have been outstanding.

Seriously, I hope we don’t regret it, but I can’t shake the feeling that we will.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: $42.3M Projected tax bill largest in Lakers history

32 wrote:
Quote:
Make that 13 players under contract with the vet minimum exception available.

A strong 3 signings with Monk, THT and Nunn

$42.3M projected tax bill which would be the largest in Lakers history.

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1422667877161881608

If those same players are under contract June 30, 2022.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
No way, I heard from LG experts that the Buss family were too cheap

Yeah, some of us have been fans since the 70’s and saw how cheap they could be even when paying luxury tax. You do realize that there is a roster minimum?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

I think we easily make the Playoffs even if one or even two of our trio goes down for awhile as long as it's not both Bron and Westbrook at the same time since playmaking would be near nonexistent. That hopefully wont happen but this roster is loaded for the regular season to say the least and imo they compliment each other extremely well. If anything happens they'll be looking at the buyout market imo unless they get a TPE which i'm not counting on.

With this roster all 3 of our main guys can easily take games off throughout the season and we'll be completely fine. Rob did this without getting any contracts that go beyond 2 years which allows us to be a top contender now and a top contender in free agency to reload for AD then.

When I look at the full picture and who we got to replace Caruso i'm personally not missing him at all. Like anyone I would have preferred he stayed of course but it's not really that big of a deal at all imo. I have a feeling some of these other guys will also look fantastic when playing alongside a top 5 player of all time. Caruso looked pretty rough to say the least on both ends when he was asked to do anything extra this last season without our Superstars and he also had his second straight absolutely abysmal Playoffs offensively in a row and upside isnt much of a thing anymore, he is who he is. Those things start mattering a lot more when his once bargain contract balloons and you have guys right around his level willing to take a fraction of his new salary.

I got no problem with anyone missing Caruso though, i'll always have fond memories of him as a Laker and root for him anytime I watch a Bulls game but imo there's some pretty big overrating going on and not taking the time to think about the new guards we got along with THT and how there's not a ton of minutes for a solid defensive guard thats extremely mediocre offensively. Nunn is obviously not the defensive pest Caruso is but he's a clear upgrade offensively.

I completely believe Monk will fall into the fan favorite roll that Caruso provided the last few years nicely though and could very possibly surpass him if he fully buys in and doesn't let any distractions get in his way.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

I believe in the last CBA they changed it so the tax is calculated based on the salary paid to players instead of where you sit at the end of the season. So for example if you had a $10m player who you traded half way through the season, they would still count for $5m in your tax calculation. Can't just cut and run. By the same token, if you trade for more salary at the deadline, you don't take the full year's hit.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

That’s a fair retort.

There might not be minutes, but there will be situations. He would have given us such a luxury in that if we needed stops or to secure the lead in close games, him and Russ hounding the ball-handler wound have been outstanding.

Seriously, I hope we don’t regret it, but I can’t shake the feeling that we will.

I think we will and hopefully I am wrong. Caruso IQ especially on the defensive end is above anyone that we signed so far. I like Nunn and I think he is better talent individually but Caruso is way better fit. I thought that we could have easily got a trade exception at least for Caruso if Pelinka was pragmatic enough. Same with what happened with Jules back then.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I think we easily make the Playoffs even if one or even two of our trio goes down for awhile as long as it's not both Bron and Westbrook at the same time since playmaking would be near nonexistent. That hopefully wont happen but this roster is loaded for the regular season to say the least and imo they compliment each other extremely well. If anything happens they'll be looking at the buyout market imo unless they get a TPE which i'm not counting on.

With this roster all 3 of our main guys can easily take games off throughout the season and we'll be completely fine. Rob did this without getting any contracts that go beyond 2 years which allows us to be a top contender now and a top contender in free agency to reload for AD then.

When I look at the full picture and who we got to replace Caruso i'm personally not missing him at all. Like anyone I would have preferred he stayed of course but it's not really that big of a deal at all imo. I have a feeling some of these other guys will also look fantastic when playing alongside a top 5 player of all time. Caruso looked pretty rough to say the least on both ends when he was asked to do anything extra this last season without our Superstars and he also had his second straight absolutely abysmal Playoffs offensively in a row and upside isnt much of a thing anymore, he is who he is. Those things start mattering a lot more when his once bargain contract balloons and you have guys right around his level willing to take a fraction of his new salary.

I got no problem with anyone missing Caruso though, i'll always have fond memories of him as a Laker and root for him anytime I watch a Bulls game but imo there's some pretty big overrating going on and not taking the time to think about the new guards we got along with THT and how there's not a ton of minutes for a solid defensive guard thats extremely mediocre offensively. Nunn is obviously not the defensive pest Caruso is but he's a clear upgrade offensively.

I completely believe Monk will fall into the fan favorite roll that Caruso provided the last few years nicely though and could very possibly surpass him if he fully buys in and doesn't let any distractions get in his way.

All of that could potentially happen...I hope it does. But it’s not tangible till it’s realized.

But what we did witness between the Bron/ AC pairing was clearly evident. I would think, if you’re going to exploit Bron’s window, you probably should role with the guys that help Bron win-doe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/alex-caruso-lebron-james-lakers-nba-playoffs-11600406618

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fadeawayworld.net/.amp/nba-media/lebron-james-and-alex-caruso-are-the-best-duo-in-the-nba-per-advanced-stats
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I believe in the last CBA they changed it so the tax is calculated based on the salary paid to players instead of where you sit at the end of the season. So for example if you had a $10m player who you traded half way through the season, they would still count for $5m in your tax calculation. Can't just cut and run. By the same token, if you trade for more salary at the deadline, you don't take the full year's hit.

I don’t know about that LF. I believe it is the contracts you gave retained in the last day of the season. So I believe VLF is correct in this case.

I believe the time of proration in terms to the tax only applies to the non/partial guaranteed deals that fully guarantee after Jan 10.

For example, McK will not count as a tax hit since he was waived before the season started. If he played for a week in the beginning of the season, before he was waived that prorated amount will be calculated in the tax. But I believe that’s the only situation proration applies towards the tax.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
hype wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

All of that could potentially happen...I hope it does. But it’s not tangible till it’s realized.

But what we did witness between the Bron/ AC pairing was clearly evident. I would think, if you’re going to exploit Bron’s window, you probably should role with the guys that help Bron win-doe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/alex-caruso-lebron-james-lakers-nba-playoffs-11600406618

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fadeawayworld.net/.amp/nba-media/lebron-james-and-alex-caruso-are-the-best-duo-in-the-nba-per-advanced-stats

No doubt they absolutely played well together for the most part but I think it was not only the cost but the amount of years as well that ultimately decided his fate.

There's def. a bit of a gamble going on, I absolutely agree with that as well especially on the defensive end though I see it as a gamble heavily in our favor. Though, like you said the safe bet would have still been Caruso until these new guys can prove otherwise. This is why I understand a bit of a letdown with Caruso leaving but I also think it's a bit much with the extreme takes that he'd be the difference maker. I never seen that player personally.

Also, as good as he was defensively at times in the Playoffs he was equally or more so awful offensively which i'm sure also was thought about when considering all of the above. They're clearly trying to go for much more of a balanced roster this upcoming season while losing some big defensive perimeter pieces. I feel they can still be a topish defensive team though while having a much more potent offense. I will say this is def. me hoping for the best though and there is absolutely a scenario which I hope never happens where everything I said is dead wrong. So all we can do is hope for the best now.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I don’t know about that LF. I believe it is the contracts you gave retained in the last day of the season. So I believe VLF is correct in this case.

I believe the time of proration in terms to the tax only applies to the non/partial guaranteed deals that fully guarantee after Jan 10.

For example, McK will not count as a tax hit since he was waived before the season started. If he played for a week in the beginning of the season, before he was waived that prorated amount will be calculated in the tax. But I believe that’s the only situation proration applies towards the tax.

Yeah, in second look I think you might be right Vas. I know that was under discussion in the last CBA (counting the actual salary paid for the tax calculation) and thought it had made its way in. But I’m probably remembering that wrong.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

And that's on top of his 9 million right?

So 40 million total. Jesus Christ.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

And that's on top of his 9 million right?

So 40 million total. Jesus Christ.

And if you look at the guys we signed, assuming they work out on the court like we hope they will, he might not have had a lot of minutes. I’m not happy about losing him, but I understand why the Buss family might not have wanted to spend 40 million on him. Very happy for Caruso he got his money and I’m hoping he and Lonzo kill it in the East.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Maybe that's why AEG wanted to bail - they knew the tax was coming and didn't want to be part of that (either as a funder of that tax or as an investment)?

I don't know how that bill gets paid, or by whom, so this is just idle speculation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: