Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
AOL... now that is a blast from the past.

I still remember everyone hyping AOL stock back in the day, including top tier management consultants who really didn't know what they were talking about (surprise surprise). I kept telling them that there was no future in AOL; their native content would be dwarfed in quality by non-ISP dependent Internet providers, that their limiting Internet access bandwidth outside of AOL was a self-defeating strategy, that there was no economy of scale in being a large, purely ISP, and that their infrastructure reliance on POTS dated their very existence, at least in non-rural areas. It astounded me that Time Warner was stupid enough to buy them. The Internet threatened print media lineage-based revenue but they moved in the wrong direction.

Buy some stock. LINK It's going for around $49.

I think I'd value a random stock selection by Burt Malkiel's monkey over that pick. The Time Warner AOL merger was historic, it destroyed more value than any other merger or buyout in history:

Hollywood Flashback: Time Warner, AOL Entered a Doomed $182 Billion Alliance 20 Years Ago:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hollywood-flashback-time-warner-aol-entered-a-doomed-182-billion-alliance-20-years-1267322/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I still remember everyone hyping AOL stock back in the day, including top tier management consultants who really didn't know what they were talking about (surprise surprise). I kept telling them that there was no future in AOL; their native content would be dwarfed in quality by non-ISP dependent Internet providers, that their limiting Internet access bandwidth outside of AOL was a self-defeating strategy, that there was no economy of scale in being a large, purely ISP, and that their infrastructure reliance on POTS dated their very existence, at least in non-rural areas. It astounded me that Time Warner was stupid enough to buy them. The Internet threatened print media lineage-based revenue but they moved in the wrong direction.

I think I'd value a random stock selection by Burt Malkiel's monkey over that pick. The Time Warner AOL merger was historic, it destroyed more value than any other merger or buyout in history:

Hollywood Flashback: Time Warner, AOL Entered a Doomed $182 Billion Alliance 20 Years Ago:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/hollywood-flashback-time-warner-aol-entered-a-doomed-182-billion-alliance-20-years-1267322/

That article is dated. I don't know where AoL stands today.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

That article is dated.

You're dated, the article was written last year. AOL is worth about one penny on the dollar from the merger:

Why Verizon sold AOL and Yahoo for about 1% of their peak valuation:

https://www.axios.com/verizon-aol-yahoo-valuations-214ce401-41f2-4c4c-aad2-9c9472427385.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

That article is dated.

You're dated, the article was written last year. AOL is worth about one penny on the dollar from the merger:

Why Verizon sold AOL and Yahoo for about 1% of their peak valuation:

https://www.axios.com/verizon-aol-yahoo-valuations-214ce401-41f2-4c4c-aad2-9c9472427385.html

I meant my article. I see what caused the confusion.

This is the entire post.

BY JACOB DAVIDSON NOVEMBER 14, 2014 6:00 AM EST

Quote:
That article is dated. I don't know where AoL stands today.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

Maintenance question. How often should I clean up my disc and system files? Will this speed my computer?

@ angrypuppy Your advice was helpful. My computer is quicker since downloading uBlock Origins. If it's a placebo, What Da Hay! I'm happy with it.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

Computer cleanup is the one thing you can do every day

Quote:
Computer cleanup is the one thing you can do every day that will keep you flush with disk space and help you free up valuable system resources. Furthermore, actual physical cleanup, as in dusting, will allow your computer to literally breathe easier, and in turn prolong the life of your system.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

I just finished opening my desktop computer case . . . to clean out the dust and other crap caught near and on the fan.

After more than a year, a lot of dust was in there.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

I want to thank all who contributed to this thread. I've used some of the suggestions and purchased refurbished 6 years ago Brenda, is purring like a well-fed kitten. At times reloads are so quick I'm not sure they've reloaded. I do it again to make sure. It surfs in a blink. For a refurbished computer it's running like a new one. If IIRC I paid $245.00 for a $580.00 computer.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Just took the cover off of my computer and blew the dust out. I haven't done it for some time. I was surprised at how little dust was in the body. The fans didn't have that much either.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Just took the cover off of my computer and blew the dust out. I haven't done it for some time. I was surprised at how little dust was in the body. The fans didn't have that much either.

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

You might not have enough airflow if thats the case but thats common if you bought a prebuilt.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You might not have enough airflow if thats the case but thats common if you bought a prebuilt.

It has 3 working fans. How many do you need to have enough airflow?

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It depends on how much heat your components generate. Generally you want at least 1-3 front intake fans and 1-3 exhaust fans on top and maybe 1 in the back. For most generic everyday use computers 3 fans should be okay as long as they are oriented correctly.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It depends on how much heat your components generate. Generally you want at least 1-3 front intake fans and 1-3 exhaust fans on top and maybe 1 in the back. For most generic everyday use computers 3 fans should be okay as long as they are oriented correctly.

I shut my computer down every night. When I start it in the morning I don't use it until it fully loads. Is that feasable?

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject:

jodeke, is your home dusty . . . normally? If not, then the low amount of dust in your computer might be normal for you.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
jodeke, is your home dusty . . . normally? If not, then the low amount of dust in your computer might be normal for you.
NO. I have a Winix Air Purifier in the room with my computer.

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I shut my computer down every night. When I start it in the morning I don't use it until it fully loads. Is that feasable?

That may be why. I haven't turned off my computer in years except for long vacations.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That may be why. I haven't turned off my computer in years except for long vacations.

How old is your computer? How many years, months, weeks, days, has it been continuously running?

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

How old is your computer? How many years, months, weeks, days, has it been continuously running?

Not Nickuku but I also run my desktop 24/7...weeks if not months at a time. Windows 10 is extremely robust. There's no memory leak issues or things of that nature to bog down your system over time. I have no issues. I have one exhaust fan out front and a water cooler for the cpu with an exhaust/intake on top.

Likewise, if your desktop isn't dusty, it's probably because of the room it's in. I recently took apart my desktop to move its parts to another case and there was barely any dust inside with over 2 years of use.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not Nickuku but I also run my desktop 24/7...weeks if not months at a time. Windows 10 is extremely robust. There's no memory leak issues or things of that nature to bog down your system over time. I have no issues. I have one exhaust fan out front and a water cooler for the cpu with an exhaust/intake on top.

Likewise, if your desktop isn't dusty, it's probably because of the room it's in. I recently took apart my desktop to move its parts to another case and there was barely any dust inside with over 2 years of use.

How old is your computer?

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My current is 2 months. My last build was 2 years. The one before that was around 7 years. I never upgrade out of necessity, I just get the itch every so often and indulge.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My current is 2 months. My last build was 2 years. The one before that was around 7 years. I never upgrade out of necessity, I just get the itch every so often and indulge.

Do you build your own?

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My current one is about 6 months old. I upgrade in 2-4 year cycles depending on the leap the tech takes. The only time the computer is off is during extended vacations or upgrades. At this current time its been running since 5/5 and that was probably just a reboot from an update or something.

Last edited by nickuku on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah its quite the norm for power users.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Slightly off topic but right now is the absolute worst time to buy/upgrade PCs. There's a severe raw materials shortage as demand has gone through the roof. Certain components are being sold on the aftermarket for 2-3x their original msrp. I was told I would would be getting some of the parts I've been waitlisted on on since November in January but its June now I'm just left wondering if I'm even on the list anymore.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: