UFO’s
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 5634

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
For the last day or so UFO's have been a news subject.

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k


Please explain.

Think of one book (religious) that references anything other than man/earth. If there are others the notion that we were created in his image goes bye bye.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3031
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

BOTH of these men were far more experienced and worlds smarter than anyone on this website!


Yet they're not smart enough to have concrete proof.


_________________
Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang
(instrumental/acoustic)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88627
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
In light of there not being concrete evidence, one has to rely on critical thinking. Critical thinking requires an open mind. Having a preconceived negative perception of a topic does NOT allow for critical thinking! Now, I would love to see irrefutable evidence as much as anyone, but in the absence of such, let’s apply some critical thinking:

1. Stanton Friedman graduated from the University of Chicago, earning Bachelor of Science and a Master in Nuclear Physics. He worked as a Nuclear Physicist at places such as General Electric, TRW Systems, General Motors, McDonnell Douglas, where he worked on advanced, classified nuclear programs, fusion/fission rockets, nuclear power plants for space vehicles! In the 1958 he began studying and researching the UFO phenomenon, which he did for the next 61 years!

2. J. Allen Hynek was an Astronomer and Professor, hired by the US Government in the late 1940’s to help debunk UFO reports, which he did for many years. But by the mid-to-late 60’s, he had come across so many unexplainable details that he did a flip-flop and was convinced that UFO’s were under alien control. Without his continuing debunking support, Blue Book was officially closed. He closely studied Govt. UFO reports from 1947 to 1969 and continued his research another 17 years until his death, being involved in the UFO phenomenon for over 40 years!

BOTH of these men were far more experienced and worlds smarter than anyone on this website! So circling back to critical thinking, I put it to you Greg (a little Animal House quote):

Are you going to believe two guys who looked at thousands of UFO reports, looked into the eyes of hundreds of actual witnesses, who had access to classified and Govt. related documents and BOTH independently came to the conclusion that UFO’s were of extra terrestrial origin?

Or does your critical thinking support the “research” (sic) of reading debunking articles on the Internet?


One would think if one was going to get on the high horse about critical thinking, one wouldn’t then immediately commit the egregiously non critical thinking logical fallacy of appeal to authority.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56266
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
For the last day or so UFO's have been a news subject.

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k


Please explain.

Think of one book (religious) that references anything other than man/earth. If there are others the notion that we were created in his image goes bye bye.


I don't see what that thinking has to do with the government. Religious leaders, yes, government, no.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48500
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
In light of there not being concrete evidence, one has to rely on critical thinking. Critical thinking requires an open mind. Having a preconceived negative perception of a topic does NOT allow for critical thinking! Now, I would love to see irrefutable evidence as much as anyone, but in the absence of such, let’s apply some critical thinking:

1. Stanton Friedman graduated from the University of Chicago, earning Bachelor of Science and a Master in Nuclear Physics. He worked as a Nuclear Physicist at places such as General Electric, TRW Systems, General Motors, McDonnell Douglas, where he worked on advanced, classified nuclear programs, fusion/fission rockets, nuclear power plants for space vehicles! In the 1958 he began studying and researching the UFO phenomenon, which he did for the next 61 years!

2. J. Allen Hynek was an Astronomer and Professor, hired by the US Government in the late 1940’s to help debunk UFO reports, which he did for many years. But by the mid-to-late 60’s, he had come across so many unexplainable details that he did a flip-flop and was convinced that UFO’s were under alien control. Without his continuing debunking support, Blue Book was officially closed. He closely studied Govt. UFO reports from 1947 to 1969 and continued his research another 17 years until his death, being involved in the UFO phenomenon for over 40 years!

BOTH of these men were far more experienced and worlds smarter than anyone on this website! So circling back to critical thinking, I put it to you Greg (a little Animal House quote):

Are you going to believe two guys who looked at thousands of UFO reports, looked into the eyes of hundreds of actual witnesses, who had access to classified and Govt. related documents and BOTH independently came to the conclusion that UFO’s were of extra terrestrial origin?

Or does your critical thinking support the “research” (sic) of reading debunking articles on the Internet?


Unfortunately, what you are calling "critical thinking" is actually rationalization—taking information and selectively evaluating it to reach a conclusion. You are asserting that despite concrete evidence of alien visitation, one can take inconclusive and anecdotal evidence and extrapolate that to the extreme and desired result.

And then you compound that by stating that anyone who doesn't agree with that rationalization is therefor not open minded. Just because someone doesn't agree with your conclusions doesn't mean that they have a closed mind. Plenty of people in this thread have expressed that they are open to the possibility of alien visitation, and are even enthusiastic for it to be a reality, but because they don't have the same criteria for reaching a definitive conclusion that you do, they are somehow "closed minded".

A big flaw in your comments above is the assumption that because someone is intelligent, their thought processes and conclusions are therefor 100% accurate and irrefutable. But as reality demonstrates, that is not inherently the case. Plenty of highly intelligent people support unfounded conclusions and even actual refute science when they do soi. Intelligence doesn't equate to unquestionable veracity.

The other flaw is the assumption that because others don't reach the same conclusions based on rationalization (what you inaccurately refer to as "critical thinking") as your chosen experts, then they must therefor be of lesser intelligence. As for experience, experience doesn't necessarily result in absolutely sound reasoning. Plenty of people experience the same events and recall and evaluate them in different ways—Larry Coon has provided multiple examples of how human "experience" can distort or misinterpret actual events. And what you describe as experience is not actually experience. The two gentlemen you mention don't have a ton of experience actually observing unexplained encounters. They simply have spent a lot of time listening to various people relate their own experiences and looking at evidence they didn't gather on their own. That's not experience. Spending a great deal of time looking through other people's claims and observations doesn't mean you are reaching a valid conclusion. Just look at all the people who are Anti-Vaxers and QANON folk. They spend a lot of time "doing their own research". So much so that they let abundance of that time distort logic and science.

But here is an example of critical thinking for you, you continually feel the need to try and denigrate those who disagree with on the conclusion that alien life has/is indeed visiting Earth, and you also do so without actually refuting their arguments, the logical conclusion from that is you are aware that your argument isn't solid enough to stand on it's own merits, and therefor need to attack the integrity of those disagreeing with you rather than simply accept that they have well founded merits to their own conclusions that don't match your own.

It's great that you have chosen to believe that alien visitation is a reality, and I share an enthusiasm for the possibility of that being the case, but there is no logically sound, fact based evidence to make that leap yet—and certainly not through what you errantly call "critical thinking". That's not an opinion, nor an example of "closed mindedness", nor an indicator of lesser intelligence. It's just the reality of sound reason based what is factually known to be true.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 5634

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
For the last day or so UFO's have been a news subject.

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k


Please explain.

Think of one book (religious) that references anything other than man/earth. If there are others the notion that we were created in his image goes bye bye.


I don't see what that thinking has to do with the government. Religious leaders, yes, government, no.

There is no separation of church and state. The government would hold info IMHO to protect the people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48500
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
For the last day or so UFO's have been a news subject.

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k


Please explain.

Think of one book (religious) that references anything other than man/earth. If there are others the notion that we were created in his image goes bye bye.


I don't see what that thinking has to do with the government. Religious leaders, yes, government, no.

There is no separation of church and state. The government would hold info IMHO to protect the people.


You are 100% correct. Of course those in government appease the religious constituency. That’s why we are seeing the disgusting erosion of abortion rights.

Let’s just assume that the governments around the world are withholding the fact that they know for sure they are sitting on proof that ET has been visiting. Of course they are going to sit on it for religious reasons and so many others. Such a revelation would blow a huge hole in the very notion of our existence and what it means, regardless of and including religion.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 11667

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
For the last day or so UFO's have been a news subject.

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k


I don’t think you need to worry about the government covering up the existence of aliens. A bunch of people have phones with cameras these days. But I still haven’t seen a bunch of videos pop up on sites like YouTube showing the alien bodies themselves. Maybe these aliens have an uncanny ability to avoid being filmed, unless they are in a ship and we can get a blurry image of that ship.


Last edited by Steve007 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 11667

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Cochese wrote:
Did you guys watch the show "Sightings" back in the day? I used to love that!

I have always thought of aliens as a possibility, but one that lacks sufficient proof. I'm not saying they don't/can't exist, but that the evidence to show their existence just hasn't been shown.

I found the 60 minutes report very disturbing. Take all the alien/ufo/little green men stuff out and you have our most advanced fighter jets in contact with a technology so advanced that they were helpless against it. Nothing hostile happened but its fascinating to hear and see what they experienced. I found it very credible and a bit scary.


I saw the 60 minutes report too and it didn’t make sense. I tend to believe what was said, but the stuff that was described sounded almost impossible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 7615
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
In light of there not being concrete evidence, one has to rely on critical thinking. Critical thinking requires an open mind. Having a preconceived negative perception of a topic does NOT allow for critical thinking! Now, I would love to see irrefutable evidence as much as anyone, but in the absence of such, let’s apply some critical thinking:

1. Stanton Friedman graduated from the University of Chicago, earning Bachelor of Science and a Master in Nuclear Physics. He worked as a Nuclear Physicist at places such as General Electric, TRW Systems, General Motors, McDonnell Douglas, where he worked on advanced, classified nuclear programs, fusion/fission rockets, nuclear power plants for space vehicles! In the 1958 he began studying and researching the UFO phenomenon, which he did for the next 61 years!

2. J. Allen Hynek was an Astronomer and Professor, hired by the US Government in the late 1940’s to help debunk UFO reports, which he did for many years. But by the mid-to-late 60’s, he had come across so many unexplainable details that he did a flip-flop and was convinced that UFO’s were under alien control. Without his continuing debunking support, Blue Book was officially closed. He closely studied Govt. UFO reports from 1947 to 1969 and continued his research another 17 years until his death, being involved in the UFO phenomenon for over 40 years!

BOTH of these men were far more experienced and worlds smarter than anyone on this website! So circling back to critical thinking, I put it to you Greg (a little Animal House quote):

Are you going to believe two guys who looked at thousands of UFO reports, looked into the eyes of hundreds of actual witnesses, who had access to classified and Govt. related documents and BOTH independently came to the conclusion that UFO’s were of extra terrestrial origin?

Or does your critical thinking support the “research” (sic) of reading debunking articles on the Internet?


What about the thousands of equally credentialed individuals who say otherwise or don't come to any conclusions based on insufficient evidence?
_________________
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 20015

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
In light of there not being concrete evidence, one has to rely on critical thinking. Critical thinking requires an open mind. Having a preconceived negative perception of a topic does NOT allow for critical thinking! Now, I would love to see irrefutable evidence as much as anyone, but in the absence of such, let’s apply some critical thinking:

1. Stanton Friedman graduated from the University of Chicago, earning Bachelor of Science and a Master in Nuclear Physics. He worked as a Nuclear Physicist at places such as General Electric, TRW Systems, General Motors, McDonnell Douglas, where he worked on advanced, classified nuclear programs, fusion/fission rockets, nuclear power plants for space vehicles! In the 1958 he began studying and researching the UFO phenomenon, which he did for the next 61 years!

2. J. Allen Hynek was an Astronomer and Professor, hired by the US Government in the late 1940’s to help debunk UFO reports, which he did for many years. But by the mid-to-late 60’s, he had come across so many unexplainable details that he did a flip-flop and was convinced that UFO’s were under alien control. Without his continuing debunking support, Blue Book was officially closed. He closely studied Govt. UFO reports from 1947 to 1969 and continued his research another 17 years until his death, being involved in the UFO phenomenon for over 40 years!

BOTH of these men were far more experienced and worlds smarter than anyone on this website! So circling back to critical thinking, I put it to you Greg (a little Animal House quote):

Are you going to believe two guys who looked at thousands of UFO reports, looked into the eyes of hundreds of actual witnesses, who had access to classified and Govt. related documents and BOTH independently came to the conclusion that UFO’s were of extra terrestrial origin?

Or does your critical thinking support the “research” (sic) of reading debunking articles on the Internet?


What about the thousands of equally credentialed individuals who say otherwise or don't come to any conclusions based on insufficient evidence?


To quote Hoover, "The aliens have a long tradition of existence to its members and to the community at large..."

The scientists' knowledge and findings are double secret classified. To quote them and Faber's motto, "Knowledge is good."
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
SEDALE TRIBUTE
EDDIE DONX!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 56266
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
For the last day or so UFO's have been a news subject.

Government UFO report finds no evidence flying objects are aliens but does not rule possibility out, reports say

LINK

i fully believe the Govt. would not acknowledge as fact due to religion.

Unfortunately unless something lands on the pentagons doorstep they will continue to protect religion. Hell, i dont even think we ever saw the remains of the plane that hit the pentagon. j/k


Please explain.

Think of one book (religious) that references anything other than man/earth. If there are others the notion that we were created in his image goes bye bye.


I don't see what that thinking has to do with the government. Religious leaders, yes, government, no.

There is no separation of church and state. The government would hold info IMHO to protect the people.


I understand the separation of church and state. That would be politics, not religion.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10950

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I saw the 60 minutes report too and it didn’t make sense. I tend to believe what was said, but the stuff that was described sounded almost impossible.


A decade or so ago, there was a TV news program in Colorado (don't remember what city) that did a UFO story. Someone had set up a camera and left it to record. What it showed, in the sky, were far off lights in the sky behaving in ways that completely defied physics. The TV news program set up their own cameras in the same spot and did their own recording -- and they saw the same phenomena. When they aired their findings, they brought in experts -- pilots and engineers -- to talk about what it would take for craft to behave in that manner. These experts firmly established that the technology needed to compensate for inertia, g-forces, etc was far, far beyond anything we have today -- and in fact, was nearly beyond comprehension.

So some skeptics -- aware of how psychology works -- set up an identical experiment. The only difference was that they set up a large screen in front of the camera. And the same phenomena occurred again. This made clear what was actually happening -- they weren't filming some large, far-away craft. They were filming insects flying around right in front of the camera. Everything the believers and the news program and the experts they brought in were doing was just a massive extrapolation based on their own assumptions, wishful thinking, and ignorance about how human cognition works.

And Unleashell wants to try to explain critical thinking to us? That's just darling. Please, tell us more about how critical thinking works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48500
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
I saw the 60 minutes report too and it didn’t make sense. I tend to believe what was said, but the stuff that was described sounded almost impossible.


A decade or so ago, there was a TV news program in Colorado (don't remember what city) that did a UFO story. Someone had set up a camera and left it to record. What it showed, in the sky, were far off lights in the sky behaving in ways that completely defied physics. The TV news program set up their own cameras in the same spot and did their own recording -- and they saw the same phenomena. When they aired their findings, they brought in experts -- pilots and engineers -- to talk about what it would take for craft to behave in that manner. These experts firmly established that the technology needed to compensate for inertia, g-forces, etc was far, far beyond anything we have today -- and in fact, was nearly beyond comprehension.

So some skeptics -- aware of how psychology works -- set up an identical experiment. The only difference was that they set up a large screen in front of the camera. And the same phenomena occurred again. This made clear what was actually happening -- they weren't filming some large, far-away craft. They were filming insects flying around right in front of the camera. Everything the believers and the news program and the experts they brought in were doing was just a massive extrapolation based on their own assumptions, wishful thinking, and ignorance about how human cognition works.

And Unleashell wants to try to explain critical thinking to us? That's just darling. Please, tell us more about how critical thinking works.


I remember about 20 years or so ago there was considerable online discussion about these mysterious things called “Rods”. As I recall, they were first discovered in some video footage shot above a vertical cave somewhere in a South American rain forest. The footage showed these cylindrical rods a couple of feet long with multiple appendages running their length that rippled similar to a centipedes legs. People were trying feverishly to explain this never seen before phenomenon. Explanations ran the gamut from never seen before hold overs from prehistoric times (think celeocanth) to alien probes, since their movements seemed mechanical and inorganic and were not visibly observed with the naked eye.

I had been working in film and TV post production then for awhile at that point, and was thus aware of the anomalies that arise due to frame rates and interlacing, so it was evident to me and others that was the source of the mystery, and sure enough, it was actually small, biwinged insects catching the light just right. Of course many were convinced this was just a throw away explanation and us doubters were just unwilling to accept that something otherworldly was occurring. Alleged experts in biology asserted these must creatures we had never seen before and moved in ways known creatures can’t and physicists who said they defied known means of mechanical flight.

Of course it was an anomaly of video capture and now pretty much every night I capture footage of Rods zooming around in fascinating fashion on my outdoor security cameras when they are in night vision mode and insect reflect light. 😄

People see what they want to see and disregard logic and reason to continue their belief in that.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3031
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Who has undeniable proof of flying saucers?

<|> * crickets * <|>


_________________
Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang
(instrumental/acoustic)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 11238
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LarryCoon"]
Steve007 wrote:

And Unleashell wants to try to explain critical thinking to us? That's just darling. Please, tell us more about how critical thinking works.


Well Larry, you've already made the claim that you (and you alone) are the ultimate critical thinker here on the website! Yep, a critical thinker with a closed mind, maybe you can explain that one..(LOL)

Also, like I said before, if choosing between (2) scientists who spent over a hundred years of their lives studying this phenomenon up close and personal, versus a guy who's claim to fame (sic) is crunching cap numbers and finding negative UFO links on the internet... I think I'll go with the former...

Based on that logic, why do you feel the need to constantly try to belittle me, darling....?
_________________
“Always remember... Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 7615
Location: Orange County

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

And Unleashell wants to try to explain critical thinking to us? That's just darling. Please, tell us more about how critical thinking works.


Well Larry, you've already made the claim that you (and you alone) are the ultimate critical thinker here on the website! Yep, a critical thinker with a closed mind, maybe you can explain that one..(LOL)

Also, like I said before, if choosing between (2) scientists who spent over a hundred years of their lives studying this phenomenon up close and personal, versus a guy who's claim to fame (sic) is crunching cap numbers and finding negative UFO links on the internet... I think I'll go with the former...

Based on that logic, why do you feel the need to constantly try to belittle me, darling....?


Maybe because you spend countless time posting BS in these forums and someone has to rebuke your non-sense. Who better to do it than a professor who teaches in a field largely based on logic?
_________________
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48500
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

And Unleashell wants to try to explain critical thinking to us? That's just darling. Please, tell us more about how critical thinking works.


Well Larry, you've already made the claim that you (and you alone) are the ultimate critical thinker here on the website! Yep, a critical thinker with a closed mind, maybe you can explain that one..(LOL)

Also, like I said before, if choosing between (2) scientists who spent over a hundred years of their lives studying this phenomenon up close and personal, versus a guy who's claim to fame (sic) is crunching cap numbers and finding negative UFO links on the internet... I think I'll go with the former...

Based on that logic, why do you feel the need to constantly try to belittle me, darling....?


Wow. The level of hypocrisy you display there is astronomical (pun intended).

Again, you clearly have no of concept of what critical thinking and open mindedness actually are. Critical thinking is weighing all the viewpoints collectively and not allowing preconceived notions to influence which you use to evaluate a position—clearly something you do not do. As for open mindedness, you believe it to mean allowing questionable evidence to influence your position while dismissing things that don’t meet your forgone conclusion. That’s not open mindedness, that’s placing fantasy ahead of objectivity.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now


Last edited by DaMuleRules on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3031
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

LC did not call unleasHell "darling" . . . "darling" was in regard to Hells's trying to explain critical thinking.

Quote:
And Unleashell wants to try to explain critical thinking to us? That's just darling.


Reading comprehension and critical thinking are important . . . and knowing when to step away from the keyboard.


_________________
Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang
(instrumental/acoustic)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48500
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
LC did not call unleasHell "darling" . . . "darling" was in regard to Hells's trying to explain critical thinking.

Quote:
And Unleashell wants to try to explain critical thinking to us? That's just darling.


Reading comprehension and critical thinking are important . . . and knowing when to step away from the keyboard.



I'm well aware. It wasn't LC I was calling the hypocrite, quite the opposite. There was a errant quote tree issue that I have now corrected.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3031
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Mule, that wasn't for you. It was an indirect comment for Hell.


_________________
Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang
(instrumental/acoustic)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48500
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Mule, that wasn't for you. It was an indirect comment for Hell.




_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10950

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Well Larry, you've already made the claim that you (and you alone) are the ultimate critical thinker here on the website!


Really? Want to put some skin in the game on that one? Find me the quote where I said that. Find it, and I'll pay you $1,000 and leave here forever. Fail to find it, and you leave (but you don't owe anything). You going to take me on with this one? Or do you just throw out random BS accusations when you can't hold your own in a discussion?

Quote:
Yep, a critical thinker with a closed mind, maybe you can explain that one..(LOL)


The explanation is simple -- you don't have the first clue what having an open mind actually means. You default to thinking that if people don't see it your way, it's because they have a closed mind -- you don't comprehend that it's due to your lack of understanding on approach and logic.

Quote:
Also, like I said before, if choosing between (2) scientists who spent over a hundred years of their lives studying this phenomenon up close and personal, versus a guy who's claim to fame (sic) is crunching cap numbers and finding negative UFO links on the internet... I think I'll go with the former...


Your claim about the two scientists isn't nearly as impressive as you think, for reasons you don't understand.

And your insults toward me are what you always throw out when you can't hold your own. *shrug*

Quote:
Based on that logic, why do you feel the need to constantly try to belittle me, darling....?


And you can't even do that part right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 5634

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject:

I think we can all agree that to think we are the only creatures that exist in the vastness of space is more ego than anything.

If you fell from the sky you have a better chance of hitting water. So why is it so shocking that the majority of sightings happen off shore.

Unfortunately the govt probably wont tell us everything they know as to protect humans. They know our mental make up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48500
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I think we can all agree that to think we are the only creatures that exist in the vastness of space is more ego than anything.

If you fell from the sky you have a better chance of hitting water. So why is it so shocking that the majority of sightings happen off shore.

Unfortunately the govt probably wont tell us everything they know as to protect humans. They know our mental make up.


I think this was addressed before, but just in case it wasn't:

Even if we all were to agree that the fact that life evolved here means it's logical to think the possibility it could have elsewhere, that's just the beginning of the equation for alien visitation here. As vast as the universe is, there are also a vast number of conditions that must come together for even the most primitive forms of life to come to fruition.

But let's say that has occurred elsewhere out there. Those primitive life forms would face a challenging route to reaching even rudimentary levels of intelligence. Just look at how long, and how many stops and starts, life took to evolve to humanoid form and for humans to reach the point we have in regards to intelligence, and then to technological advancement. And we are a long way from reaching intergalactic travel—if ever. As technologically advanced as we are, we have absolutely no clue as to how travel through the depths of the Universe. How many extinctions have occurred on this planet that wiped out life almost entirely? The odds of another mass die off here is much more likely before we ever reach the ability to travel intergalactically. If we were to agree that because intelligent life happened here, it happened elsewhere, logically that intelligent life would face the same astronomical odds of existing long enough to achieve the ability to travel throughout the Universe.

Then, even if all those odds were met somewhere out there in that almost infinite expanse, what are the chances that of all the galaxies, solar systems and planets out there, this is where they end up? Pretty freaking impossible really. For such life forms to end up here of all places, there would have to be countless sources of origin for even one of those highly intelligent societies to end up here.

Almost lastly (and ignoring so many other factors involved), even if they did somehow end up here, their arrival wouldn't be so random that it equates to just dropping out of the sky in any old spot. It wouldn't just be mostly at sea simply because the oceans dominate the surface of the planet. Such a life form would have a plan and it wouldn't be simply lurking out over the planet's oceans.

And penultimately, if all of the above somehow all came about, it is highly unlikely that they would do so only to remain known only to the governments of the world, much less just one. If it were multiple governments with such knowledge, given the way humans behave, it's unlikely those governments would be able to cooperate to collectively conceal such knowledge from the citizens of the various countries. Conversely, if it were just one government, the odds of them being able to conceal such a huge revelation from others is equally unlikely.

All of this just barely touches on the multitude reasons of why the leap from unexplainable aerial phenomenon to the visitation of alien life his illogical.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB