Well, it comes down to DEN v POR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Well, it comes down to DEN v POR

Assuming we beat NOR tomorrow for purposes of this discussion...

If DEN wins, they are 3rd and play us in Rd 1. They also get the home court against LAC if the Clipps meet them in the WCF, a not insignificant possibility.

If POR wins, DEN plays POR in Rd 1. DEN has won a couple close games against POR so far this year. If POR loses, they go to the play-in game and if they win, they get PHX in Rd 1. They are 0-3 against PHX, but that last game they should have won and Ayton did not play.

I think DEN is trying to win a Chip, not just do well. So, they may need to beat us at some point. Maybe they will think it is better to try now than later. I think DEN goes all out to win on Sunday. Or they make me look stupid and sit everyone.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

GO CHICKEN NUGGETS!!!!!

(for one day)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The way our season has been going Portland will probably win.
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Lol Denver is not trying to play lakers first round
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject:

LakersARETheGOAT wrote:

Yup, very unlikely they choose the Lakers as their 1st rou d opponent. No unless they are thinking that they have a bigger chance beating the Lakers in the 1st round, while their starters still lacks chemistry. But very unlikely. They will probably rest Jokic and MPJ and play Bol Bol amd McGee instead.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Are we sure having to beat Golden St in one home game to be able to play Phoenix isn't a better outcome than playing Denver in round 1? Denver has a much bigger home court advantage and Jokic is better than anyone on the Suns.

You could also make the case that one more meaningful game could help focus the Lakers and give them some much needed reps.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Are we sure having to beat Golden St in one home game to be able to play Phoenix isn't a better outcome than playing Denver in round 1? Denver has a much bigger home court advantage and Jokic is better than anyone on the Suns.

You could also make the case that one more meaningful game could help focus the Lakers and give them some much needed reps.

I've been saying for the last few weeks that the play-in and a warm-up series vs PHX was the Lakers best course.

Denver is my second choice, so the Clips tank job yesterday was huge.

Either way, I'm not worried. PHX and Denver are the best opponents the Lakers could hope for in rd 1.

Hoping the Clips can out-tank OKC and lock in 4th seed, as I'd like to wait until WCF to see them.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
LakersARETheGOAT wrote:

Yup, very unlikely they choose the Lakers as their 1st rou d opponent. No unless they are thinking that they have a bigger chance beating the Lakers in the 1st round, while their starters still lacks chemistry. But very unlikely. They will probably rest Jokic and MPJ and play Bol Bol amd McGee instead.

Now is the best time to try to beat the Lakers. They are most vulnerable right now.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
LakersARETheGOAT wrote:

Well, regardless. for one day...

GO CHICKEN NUGGETS!!!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I am trying to think how it goes.

But if the Clippers lost tomorrow, the Nuggets clutch 3rd place? Than it wouldn’t matter if they win tomorrow as far as seeding.

So i can see this scenario as the Clippers seem to ready be resting their players.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Is it too much to ask for (if we stay the 7th seed),

Suns - Nugs - Mavs - Heat?

Let it be the year of the underdogs, and we can be the ultimate underdog
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Just curious say that the Lakers are in a close game with the Pelicans and the Blazers and Denver game is a Blazers blow out does Vogel pull players out during the game in terms of preparing for the play in and not having someone get hurt?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject:

So Denver is just gonna play their starters 5 minutes tomorrow to avoid fines. Ok...

I think it's best if we rest our starters too but then we need the rep. Hmm....This is an interesting dilemna. I would rather play an extra game or two than facing the Clippers in the first round. We'll just get our reps from our series against the Suns. Hey, we beat them without Lebron!! They're swishy!!

We need to lose tomorrow!! It's a must lose game!!
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Denver doesn't want to play the Lakers in the first round. They'll tank and let Portland win. Guaranteed
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, it comes down to DEN v POR

parsons777 wrote:

If DEN wins, they are 3rd and play us in Rd 1. They also get the home court against LAC if the Clipps meet them in the WCF, a not insignificant possibility.

If POR wins, DEN plays POR in Rd 1. DEN has won a couple close games against POR so far this year. If POR loses, they go to the play-in game and if they win, they get PHX in Rd 1. They are 0-3 against PHX, but that last game they should have won and Ayton did not play.

I think DEN is trying to win a Chip, not just do well. So, they may need to beat us at some point. Maybe they will think it is better to try now than later. I think DEN goes all out to win on Sunday. Or they make me look stupid and sit everyone.

So u r saying, its better for DEN to beat lakers amd clippers to go to finals than beating just 1 of them..
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, it comes down to DEN v POR

roger_federer wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

So u r saying, its better for DEN to beat lakers amd clippers to go to finals than beating just 1 of them..

DEN's likely path is either

LAL (home), PHX (road) , Utah (road) [LAC @ home if LAC beats Utah]

or

DAL (home), Utah (road), LAC (road) [LAL @ home if we beat LAC]

I would slightly prefer to have home court against both LA teams if I am DEN.

Last edited by parsons777 on Sat May 15, 2021 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

But if the Clippers lost tomorrow, the Nuggets clutch 3rd place? Than it wouldn’t matter if they win tomorrow as far as seeding.

So i can see this scenario as the Clippers seem to ready be resting their players.

Clips are playing OKC, which is battling with several teams for a high draft pick. I don't see anyway that OKC wins this game tomorrow
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Denver doesn't want to play the Lakers in the first round. They'll tank and let Portland win. Guaranteed

Agreed.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Clips are playing OKC, which is battling with several teams for a high draft pick. I don't see anyway that OKC wins this game tomorrow

That game is going to be tanktastic!!!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

I still do not believe coaches or GMs give prep talks around losing on purpose. It does not happen. I think GM's and coaches can manipulate as much as they can with the availability of players. But once they're on the court, they are playing to win. They don't give a ratz azz about extra lottery balls, so a new young buck can come and take their job.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, it comes down to DEN v POR

parsons777 wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
parsons777 wrote:

DEN's likely path is either

LAL (home), PHX (road) , Utah (road) [LAC @ home if LAC beats Utah]

or

DAL (home), Utah (road), LAC (road) [LAL @ home if we beat LAC]

I would slightly prefer to have home court against both LA teams if I am DEN.

I don't know what you are smoking but there's no way in hell Denver wants to play us in the first round and the Clippers in the west finals. Lol.

We are the 7th seed guys
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
markjay wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

I still do not believe coaches or GMs give prep talks around losing on purpose. It does not happen. I think GM's and coaches can manipulate as much as they can with the availability of players. But once they're on the court, they are playing to win. They don't give a ratz azz about extra lottery balls, so a new young buck can come and take their job.

Put yourself in Jokic's shoes. Why ball out and put your best effort on the court if your prize is the Lakers round 1.

Not saying he cruises the whole game but how hard is he really going to crash the boards, I bet he is going to take a play or 5 off and that will be enough for the Blazers to win.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sat May 15, 2021 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
markjay wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Put yourself in Jokic's shoes. Why ball out and put your best effort on the court if your prize is the Lakers round 1.

Not saying he cruises the whole game but I bet he is going to take a play or 5 off and that will be enough for the Blazers to win.

Unlikely they want to face the Lakers in the 1st round. Not unless they think that they have a better chance beating the Lakers while starters still lack chemistry.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
markjay wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

Not saying he cruises the whole game but how hard is he really going to crash the boards, I bet he is going to take a play or 5 off and that will be enough for the Blazers to win.

Malone and the Denver FO won't leave it up to Jokic.

He won't be playing, or will be in for limited minutes at most.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject:

If Clippers lose, doesn't matter what the Nuggets do so Clippers actually control the seeding for Clippers and Nuggets. One thing about the Clippers is that they don't necessarily like playing the Mavs because they know the Mavs can be very pesky. If they could play the blazers in the first round, they would do it.

Since Nuggets, Clippers, Blazers, and Lakers play at the same time today, it would be hard for any team to determine its playoff opponent until the games are over.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: