Jerry West Offended by Jeanie Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
Man, some of you guys go crazy over this. That's her opinion and she's entitled to it. No matter who you put on your top 5 Lakers ever, there will always be an argument for who got left off. That's just how many great people this franchise has had. There's no reason for West to feel hurt about this.

So if you gave forty or fifty years building a company from the ground up and one of owners who took over the company completely left you off the list for someone who worked for the company three years, it wouldn't bother you?

I'm mean sure anyone could practice Zen buddhism and let go of all worldly desires... but the average person would be pretty annoyed.

Yes, I would be fine with that because I am mature enough and thick skinned enough not to let it bother me.

You expect people who are the most hyper competitive in the world not to be competitive?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/michael-jordans-and-i-took-that-personally

I expect that when time has already passed by these old men, they would be mature enough to just let it go. Now, it's just like that old man yelling at clouds.

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.jpg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

I am disappointed Jerry took offense to this. He did great things, and maybe she should have mentioned him but its okay that she didn't, especially considering the circumstances.

Any list about the Lakers in this regard is going to leave greats off it. It's ridiculous and you'd think someone like him would have just let it go.

It doesn't look good on him to be so bitter. Sheesh.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Vercetti wrote:
Shaq and Elgin Baylor should be on any list of top Lakers players, but Jerry West needs to f***off and go away already.

It's the most important Laker, not the greatest.
ltsmash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Look at it this way, the number of great Laker players is so ridiculously high that one can legitimately make the argument Jerry West is not in the top 5. Think about it, a credible argument can be made an All Time-Lakers team can beat an All Time-NBA team. What would the weak spot be? It used to be PF (prime Pau was PF but may be slow for modern standards) but now we can insert Davis. Hell, we can even put LBJ, Worthy, or Baylor at that spot.

C: Kareem, Shaq, Wilt, AD or Pau
PF: AD, Pau, LBJ, Baylor
SF: LBJ, Worthy, Baylor
SG: KB, Goodrich, West
PG: Magic, West, LBJ, KB

We'd still have guys like McAdoo, Norm Nixon, Coop, Wilkes, and Odom available for bench duties. That lineup can mop with floor with any era and any style. 3 point shooting might be slightly weak, but Goodrich, KB, and to a lesser degree Magic (by end of career he was decent), LBJ, and Davis will keep any defense honest. Pretty insane when you think about it.
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
I am disappointed Jerry took offense to this. He did great things, and maybe she should have mentioned him but its okay that she didn't, especially considering the circumstances.

Any list about the Lakers in this regard is going to leave greats off it. It's ridiculous and you'd think someone like him would have just let it go.

It doesn't look good on him to be so bitter. Sheesh.

You know what Jerry, maybe you wold be on the list if you didn't work for the Clippers. They are the freakin' enemy and they are in our building. Part of being a great is what you do after you are a Lakers great. And for Jerry, it was a turnover.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

ltsmash wrote:
Look at it this way, the number of great Laker players is so ridiculously high that one can legitimately make the argument Jerry West is not in the top 5.

But Jeannie wasn't asked to name the top 5 players. She named the most influential Lakers. I put Jerry on the list for his combined tenure as a player, coach, and GM.
ltsmash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ltsmash wrote:
Look at it this way, the number of great Laker players is so ridiculously high that one can legitimately make the argument Jerry West is not in the top 5.

But Jeannie wasn't asked to name the top 5 players. She named the most influential Lakers. I put Jerry on the list for his combined tenure as a player, coach, and GM.

In re-reading who she named, it looks like she focused entirely on Lakers from her era. Magic and Kareem are closest in time in terms of when her Dad bought the team and when she got involved, not to mention the decade of success. Phil Jackson is a no-brainer in light of their history, and he is the one who led the Lakers back to prominence. I presume she named LBJ because his signing reversed a trend of zero luck with free agents and led to a championship pretty quickly.

That leaves West versus KB. I think she picked KB because she was not around for West's playing years, and it was known Phil and West did not get along. West bolting for the Clippers likely didn't help either. Plus, in light of KB's still recent death and upcoming HOF ceremony, I think that's why she chose KB.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

How about the most influential figures that few fans remember. Here are 5 guys you rarely hear mentioned on LG but they all played big parts in Laker history.

1. Bob Short, who bought the Minneapolis Lakers and moved them to LA

2. All the Hall of Famers from Minneapolis days no one can name without looking them up.

3. Paul Westhead, coach of the first Showtime ring, who bumped heads with Magic, leading to the creation of coach Pat Riley

4. Bill Sharman, who coached the '72 ring team and built the beginnings of Showtime as GM

5. Jack Kent Cooke, the owner before Buss who gave Wilt a record contract, then sued Wilt to end his career when he tried to move to the ABA, and who put thousands of balloons in the rafters of the forum in anticipation of a game 7 series win -- the arrogance of which some feel motivated the Celtics to win. He sold the team to pay off a divorce settlement. Great eccentric.
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject:

In addition to my list of top 5 Lakers, I'd also put George Mikan ahead of West on any list. Also more important.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Jerry is STILL mad Jack Kent Cooke didnt give him his money back in the 70's, dude is just like that.

!...
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject:

West might be the only one whose contributions to the franchise were stellar both on and off the court. It's understandable and human nature for him to feel slighted. I remember him most for the Mychal Thompson trade, and the summer of '96.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Bill Sharman

Has to be in the Top-5.

*Coached 1st LA championship
*Invented the morning shootaround as Lakers HC
*Acquired Kareem
*Acquired Nixon
*Acquired Magic (HE was the one who pushed for Magic, as documented in the news at the time)
*Acquired Wilkes
*Acquired Cooper
*Acquired the draft pick that became Worthy
*Acquired McAdoo
*Acquired Kupchak
*Acquired Haywood
*Acquired Chones
*Hired Westhead
*Hired Riley
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Nice job advocating for Sharman. It shows how impossible it is to name five individuals without someone getting the short end of the stick.

Unluckiest: McKinney. His bike accident altered history.
Dumbest: Westhead. Had a bird in hand & blew it.
Luckiest: might be Riley?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Wow, some of you guys are lost. Have whatever opinion you wish of Jerry West as a person, but it is ridiculous to place Phil Jackson and Lebron James ahead of him as the greatest Lakers. The only players that have a logical argument to be mentioned ahead of West is Kobe and Magic.

Also, questioning West's greatness because he only has 1 championship is silly unless you do not understand the era. West took the Lakers to the Finals 9x.....but one man (or even 2 with Elgin) could not beat the loaded Celtics in that era. West was often the best player on the court in those Finals, and even won Finals MVP on the losing team. If there is no Jerry West, nothing else that has led to the Lakers being the premiere NBA franchise is guaranteed....and maybe even unlikely. Btw, he is known as Mr. Clutch because for over a decade, there was nobody on planet earth you wanted to have the ball in their hands in a critical situation more than Jerry West.

West played in 55 NBA Finals games (as a Laker), the same as Lebron....but only 6 of Lebron's has been as a Laker. In those 55 games, West averaged over 30 points per game. The only players in NBA history that have a higher points average in Finals games is Rick Barry (16 games) and Jordan (35 games). Lends a little weight to why he is considered "Mr. Clutch".

Everyone knows that's all true, but you also have to realize that this is reality. Sheeee's not gunna fail to mention Brawn and Magic and Phil. No way in HELL. And it was an off the cuff fluff question. The "reporter" no doubt asked it knowing that 5 people were too few for the Lakers and that someone would bound to be offended and that's just what happened.

She didn't even mention her dad fer crissakes. She doesn't have to answer that question at all much less answer it in a well-considered fashion weighing each name based on this n that. Truth be told, he was probably miffed that she named Phil and not him more than anything. He hates Phil.

And like she's not gonna name Brawn right as the playoffs loom so he can get miffed. Jerry West had to be an odd man out and there are names that didn't make it like Riles and Chick and NPZ.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Nice job advocating for Sharman. It shows how impossible it is to name five individuals without someone getting the short end of the stick

Unluckiest: McKinney. His bike accident altered history.
Dumbest: Westhead. Had a bird in hand & blew it.
Luckiest: might be Riley?

BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

She could have named eight or nine people and the reporter wouldn't do sh*t to her. She's Jeanie Buss, she doesn't need to follow the guideline of some random writer.

Umm... there are so many... My dad, Jerry, Magic, Kareem, Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Elgin, Phil... How do you name only five?

See? Easy...

I agree Sharman deserves a lot of credit too... but he played for the enemy not the Lakers so while Jerry contributed as player, coach and executive...

Bill only was a coach and executive.

Again, if Jerry really tore into her behind the scenes, then I would understand why she'd ignore him, but if he didn't... it's ridiculous she didn't at least mention him.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Putting Lebron in that list is just ridicolous.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
Just keeping it real, I have a hard time putting Lebron in the top five after such a short tenure. I get that he brought a chip to LA and his stature, but still..

I think she was just keeping him happy.
In reality, shaq was more deserving because he choose us while we were pretty mediocre back then.
Granted both shaq and lebron chose the lakers because they want to expand their brand, but they both brought us chips.
I don’t see she put shaq on her list because of the way he left.

The logo replacing lebron is a no-brainer

Agree, most likely a case of keeping her superstar happy. Personally though I would have left Lebron off the list, but give him an honorable mention saying he's still newish to Lakerland but fully expect him to be top 5 when his career ends as a Laker? Dunno but I'm sure theres a nicer way to phrase things.

Well end of the day this is just to get fans talking and clicking to watch the podcast, so I wouldn't put too much stock into the list
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
She could have named eight or nine people and the reporter wouldn't do sh*t to her. She's Jeanie Buss, she doesn't need to follow the guideline of some random writer.

Umm... there are so many... My dad, Jerry, Magic, Kareem, Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, Elgin, Phil... How do you name only five?

See? Easy...

I agree Sharman deserves a lot of credit too... but he played for the enemy not the Lakers so while Jerry contributed as player, coach and executive...

Bill only was a coach and executive.

Again, if Jerry really tore into her behind the scenes, then I would understand why she'd ignore him, but if he didn't... it's ridiculous she didn't at least mention him.

I don't know the rules for this. But I consider Chick a Laker too.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject:

cencio_999 wrote:
Putting Lebron in that list is just ridicolous.

I agree but his signing brought us back from a decade of ...
pointfour
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject:

FWIW, it was a rapid fire question and she was struggling to come up with a top 5 considering there are so manyaker greats. The interviewer, Matt Barnes, actually suggested a few of those names as he saw her a bit frazzled, and she casually just rolled with it, saying sure let's go with those.

I have it like many of you guys:
Kobe
Magic
West
Shaq.
Kareem.
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

I love you Jerry, but grow up man
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
I'm sick of Jerry The Diva . . . as was Dr. Buss.

Jerry drew Laker paychecks for 40 years. He decided to leave the Lakers - not the other way around - and they don't owe him a thing. They've employed his kids and treated him like family even after he took a dump on them. When Chick, Dr. Buss, Kobe, Elgin, etc., passed, they let Jerry represent as part of the Lakers even though he was getting paid by other teams.

Jerry West did great things for this organization from 1960 to 2000. Having said that . . . EFF Jerry West.

He is one of the most egotistical, toxic men in the game. I truly believe it. It's sad what he's let himself become.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
I'm sick of Jerry The Diva . . . as was Dr. Buss.

Jerry drew Laker paychecks for 40 years. He decided to leave the Lakers - not the other way around - and they don't owe him a thing. They've employed his kids and treated him like family even after he took a dump on them. When Chick, Dr. Buss, Kobe, Elgin, etc., passed, they let Jerry represent as part of the Lakers even though he was getting paid by other teams.

Jerry West did great things for this organization from 1960 to 2000. Having said that . . . EFF Jerry West.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

pointfour wrote:
FWIW, it was a rapid fire question and she was struggling to come up with a top 5 considering there are so manyaker greats. The interviewer, Matt Barnes, actually suggested a few of those names as he saw her a bit frazzled, and she casually just rolled with it, saying sure let's go with those.

I have it like many of you guys:
Kobe
Magic
West
Shaq.
Kareem.

This exactly. It was rapid fire. But ppl here wanna say she’s a clown lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: