Jerry West Offended by Jeanie Buss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Man, some of you guys go crazy over this. That's her opinion and she's entitled to it. No matter who you put on your top 5 Lakers ever, there will always be an argument for who got left off. That's just how many great people this franchise has had. There's no reason for West to feel hurt about this.

So if you gave forty or fifty years building a company from the ground up and one of owners who took over the company completely left you off the list for someone who worked for the company three years, it wouldn't bother you?

I'm mean sure anyone could practice Zen buddhism and let go of all worldly desires... but the average person would be pretty annoyed.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
Man, some of you guys go crazy over this. That's her opinion and she's entitled to it. No matter who you put on your top 5 Lakers ever, there will always be an argument for who got left off. That's just how many great people this franchise has had. There's no reason for West to feel hurt about this.

So if you gave forty or fifty years building a company from the ground up and one of owners who took over the company completely left you off the list for someone who worked for the company three years, it wouldn't bother you?

I'm mean sure anyone could practice Zen buddhism and let go of all worldly desires... but the average person would be pretty annoyed.

Yes, I would be fine with that because I am mature enough and thick skinned enough not to let it bother me.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So if you gave forty or fifty years building a company from the ground up and one of owners who took over the company completely left you off the list

There’s no list. It’s not a real thing. She was asked on the spot to name people on a podcast.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

What a strange game. The only way to win is not to play.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
So if you gave forty or fifty years building a company from the ground up and one of owners who took over the company completely left you off the list

There’s no list. It’s not a real thing. She was asked on the spot to name people on a podcast.

Yeah and it would be like Robert Kraft's daughter conveniently forgetting to name Belichick or Brady.

If you all are too young to remember West's contributions I'd politely suggest you watch some of his highlights not only as a player but as an executive.

It's like Vince Gilligan's daughter being asked who were the top 5 contributors to the success of Breaking Bad on the spot and she didn't name Bryan Cranston.

Or Sofia Coppola not mentioning Marlon Brando's contribution to the Godfather's success.

Can it slip your mind? Sure... but it looks pretty ignorant or petty to the objective sports fan.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
hype wrote:
ehh it's just West being the crusty old angry man where everyone is against him once again. It's not remotely worth making a public announcement like a scorned ex though. He had a long feud with Phil and was just trashing the Lakers in that leaked clip that came out (I'm sure she's heard much, much worse that we as fans will never know about as well). He's also helped try to build the Lakers biggest threat over the last few years. It was her list and a spur of the moment question so of course Lebron was on there as he's the current face of the franchise. It was the politically correct thing to do as the last thing we need is Lebron getting in his feelings like West is.

This is simply people continuing to make a massive deal about absolutely nothing. It was a spur of the moment quick 5. That list would probably change a bit a lot depending when you ask her.

Any even casual Lakers fan knows Jerry West is a paramount figure behind the rich history of the Lakers. Just kind of makes him look petty taking it that personal imo and getting all passive aggressive in his reply. He should be more worried about the "sh*t show" of the Clippers right now.

"One of the Most Offensive Things I’ve Ever Heard in My Life" okkkkkkkk Jerry.

He didn't make public announcement. He was asked a question and answered it. He asked to come back to be apart of the Lakers and Jeanie denied it, twice, before being apart of the Clipper's based on their offer and being in LA.

So was she.

This was a meaningless silly sauce Top List on a podcast. Shaq brushed it off as the “whatever” that it is. This is pretty much the one of the least important Lakers things ever lol

I don't get the point of "so was she," if he was offended by the opinion, when there are facts to importance. Jerry West helped mold the franchise to what it is and that is brushed of as "whatever." Her own father might be offended by her leaving West off.

You said West was asked a question and he answered it.

I am saying that Jeannie was also asked a question and she answered it. A meaningless, lighthearted, fun, but obviously meant to drive some level of “controversy” question on a podcast. It’s not like this was her voting selection for some official Naismith Lakers Hall of Fame. It was on a podcast called “all the smoke” LOL
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
hype wrote:
ehh it's just West being the crusty old angry man where everyone is against him once again. It's not remotely worth making a public announcement like a scorned ex though. He had a long feud with Phil and was just trashing the Lakers in that leaked clip that came out (I'm sure she's heard much, much worse that we as fans will never know about as well). He's also helped try to build the Lakers biggest threat over the last few years. It was her list and a spur of the moment question so of course Lebron was on there as he's the current face of the franchise. It was the politically correct thing to do as the last thing we need is Lebron getting in his feelings like West is.

This is simply people continuing to make a massive deal about absolutely nothing. It was a spur of the moment quick 5. That list would probably change a bit a lot depending when you ask her.

Any even casual Lakers fan knows Jerry West is a paramount figure behind the rich history of the Lakers. Just kind of makes him look petty taking it that personal imo and getting all passive aggressive in his reply. He should be more worried about the "sh*t show" of the Clippers right now.

"One of the Most Offensive Things I’ve Ever Heard in My Life" okkkkkkkk Jerry.

He didn't make public announcement. He was asked a question and answered it. He asked to come back to be apart of the Lakers and Jeanie denied it, twice, before being apart of the Clipper's based on their offer and being in LA.

So was she.

This was a meaningless silly sauce Top List on a podcast. Shaq brushed it off as the “whatever” that it is. This is pretty much the one of the least important Lakers things ever lol

I don't get the point of "so was she," if he was offended by the opinion, when there are facts to importance. Jerry West helped mold the franchise to what it is and that is brushed of as "whatever." Her own father might be offended by her leaving West off.

You said West was asked a question and he answered it.

I am saying that Jeannie was also asked a question and she answered it. A meaningless, lighthearted, fun, but obviously meant to drive some level of “controversy” question on a podcast. It’s not like this was her voting selection for some official Naismith Lakers Hall of Fame. It was on a podcast called “all the smoke” LOL

I think the issue is that anyone who really knows the Lakers knows that there is absolutely 0 way Jerry West could be left out of the Lakers top 5 and especially for a guy who has only won 1 chip and been here for 3 years like Lebron James. This isnt even debatable like a discussion for who is the better center between Shaq and Kareem but is as asinine as saying Vlade is a better center than Shaq/Kareem. Jeanie does some weird oddball things at times. Like bringing attention to her dad and Kareem with her and Drummond. Like really???? Drummond really is not a better player than Bynum or even Vlade but you wanna somehow make people think of Kareem????

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am; edited 3 times in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

Yes, I would be fine with that because I am mature enough and thick skinned enough not to let it bother me.

You expect people who are the most hyper competitive in the world not to be competitive?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/michael-jordans-and-i-took-that-personally
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Shaq and Elgin Baylor should be on any list of top Lakers players, but Jerry West needs to f***off and go away already.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

Top 5 - Kobe, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Phil

Top 10 - West, Baylor, Riley, Worthy, LeBron

Jerry is bitter and you can clearly see that he's hurt being the forgotten legend from the Lakers family. Maybe it's the way the relationship ended with the franchise, who knows. But honestly he's bigger than this and should brush that off and I'm actually a bit surprised that he's open about how he didn't like being left off.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Top 5 - Kobe, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Phil

Top 10 - West, Baylor, Riley, Worthy, LeBron

Jerry is bitter and you can clearly see that he's hurt being the forgotten legend from the Lakers family. Maybe it's the way the relationship ended with the franchise, who knows. But honestly he's bigger than this and should brush that off and I'm actually a bit surprised that he's open about how he didn't like being left off.

I can understand Magic and even Kareem as they were not Lakers due to Jerry West and Kobe/Shaq making their own legacies even though it was West that bought them here, but no way am I putting Phil Jackson above Jerry West in terms of importance to the Lakers. There is 0 logical way Phil Jackson was more valuable to the Lakers than West. The players most responsible for Phil winning with the Lakers was ALL JERRY WEST... Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Horry, Fox, even Rice which led to Grant were ALL Jerry West. The remnants from the Shaq to Miami trade is then what set the stage for the back to back titles in 09 and 10 and it is West's disciple Kupchak who engineered the Gasol trade with West maybe/maybe not having a hand in that trade. Phil Jackson above West in terms of importance to the Lakers is a farce especially considering how in my previous post, how critical West was to building Showtime.

Last edited by 1995Lakers on Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

Most if not all former or late-career athletes obsess over their legacies. It's one of the reasons why late-career athletes play for a ring rather than for the highest bidder; they want to be remembered as a champion.

West is notoriously thin-skinned, you'd think that having a statue at Star Plaza would be enough. Though he should have just let it pass, West is right. He is a top 5 Laker of all time. The only thing keeping him out of that conversation is recency bias.
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

Top 5 Lakers:

1. Magic
2. Kobe
3. Kareem
4. Shaq
5. Elgin Baylor

West is NOT top five.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject:

Vercetti wrote:
Top 5 Lakers:

1. Magic
2. Kobe
3. Kareem
4. Shaq
5. Elgin Baylor

West is NOT top five.

Baylor was probably a little better than West as a player especially when both were in their primes. But West's work as an executive pushes him WAY past Elgin as a Laker that this isnt even close.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

Meh, I don't care for it when West gets deified for his executive accomplishments. He did a good job, but the vast majority of the credit should go to the players who actually played the games.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

Anyone’s list who doesn’t have the dr. on it is flawed. I know she was told not to but we aren’t her. If this is a true top 5 he’s #1. No caveats

Dr. Buss
Kobe
Magic

Who are the last 2
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Meh, I don't care for it when West gets deified for his executive accomplishments. He did a good job, but the vast majority of the credit should go to the players who actually played the games.

This I dont agree with at all. A bad exective WONT get the players. Thats how you get the David Kahn's of the world who had 2 chances to draft Steph and whiffed on both when even the Skip Bayless's of the world could see Curry's potential at Davidson. Jerry's eye for talent was NEVER a fluke and he immediately saw other executive's mistakes as soon as it happened. Like drafting Van Exel in the 2nd Round while wondering what the hell other GMs were doing or picking Vlade over Gary Leonard in 1989 or drafting Elden Campbell out of Clemson with the last first round pick in 1990 or seeing immediately Ceballos was not a fit with Shaq and that Horry would fit perfectly as the ideal small forward. Or hell even drafting Derek Fisher when no one thought we would draft him when guys like Othella Harrington were still available.

West was the general that got the right pieces in order for the Lakers to thrive.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

In other news...

Jerry West yelled, "Get off my lawn" to a group of younsters in front of staples center.

Back in his day they used to eat crawdads...and that's the way it was and they liked it!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

This is it. Discussing this is absolutely pointless.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Anyone’s list who doesn’t have the dr. on it is flawed. I know she was told not to but we aren’t her. If this is a true top 5 he’s #1. No caveats

Dr. Buss
Kobe
Magic

Who are the last 2

As big a fan of Jerry West as I am, putting Dr. Buss as number 1 DOES have its merits as the man was literally a genius (easily over 140IQ) in every sense of the word. Some of his critical decisions:

1. Paying Kareem when Kareems was starting to get upset over his pay.
2. That Magic contract which seemed ridiculous at the time but displayed his brilliance.
3. Pushing West to go and stay all-in on the pursuit of Shaq when West was starting to waver and consider B-Tier guys like Dale Davis and Brian Williams.
4. Keeping Kobe no matter what during the 2007 offseason by meeting with Kobe personally.
5. Making the decision to trade Shaq when he did when Shaq still displayed amazing value - those pieces laid the groundwork for the back to back titles.
6. In terms of talent, the Worthy for Aguirre and Tarpley trade would have been a great haul. Aguirre and Tarpley as talents could rival Worthy by themselves but together???? Thanks to West this didnt happen but this trade idea agreed to by Buss made a ton of sense.

Buss at the top of the totem pole knew HOW to run the Lakers and always seemed to push the right buttons to win. The only criticism I can think of for him is that during the late 90s, part of the reason for trading Jones, Van Exel and Campbell were cost related as Jones and Van Exel were about to come off very team friendly contracts. But Dr Buss, kept Odom in 2009 even though there were cost concerns with bringing him back
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

Wasn’t west pushing against drafting magic?
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
ocho wrote:

1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Wasn’t west pushing against drafting magic?

I heard this is true to but given the circumstances if you put yourself in his shoes in 1979, it makes complete sense.

1. Norm Nixon coming off his 2nd year had just established himself as a top point guard in the league.
2. Sid the Squid himself was a hall of famer who fit far better with Norm Nixon and who Michael Jordan personally described as a very tough matchup who made you work on both ends of the court. Moncrief was a definitely a level above Byron Scott and was the best player on very good Bucks teams for years.
3. Magic Johnson couldnt shoot at the time and we had never seen a guy who was that tall running the point so it was questionable if he could pull it off. Moncrief was a much surer deal even if he didnt have the star power of Magic which all these things, West knew at the time.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
ocho wrote:

It’s a message board. Hypotheticals are part of it.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
If Steve Jobs lived to 90 years old and had retired or changed companies 20 years before and the current owner of Apple was an heiress who was riding the coattails of another tech genius... and she was asked who the top five most important people were to Apple's history and she didn't mention Jobs and Wozniak... I can bet Jobs would be offended as well.

You can say it's different because West wasn't an original founder like Jobs but the franchise would have been way more diminished without West and Baylor bringing the Los Angeles Lakers to the NBA finals on the regular basis... creating the huge rivalry with the Celtics as a player.. and then of course his influence as an executive.

I'm offended and pissed at Jeanie and I'm not even West.

And I've always liked Jeanie but unless West said something extremely f-d up to her this is an unforgivable oversight.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: