Last time we played the Suns as the #7 seed we went up 3-1

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Last time we played the Suns as the #7 seed we went up 3-1

And if it wasn't for Devean George's inexplicable closeout on Tim Thomas's 3 in Game 6, LAL would have won the series.

Anyway, even though we were only the 7th seed that year, we came close to pulling off the upset.

Just like we will this year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

The big difference being that Kobe worked his tail off to drag Kwame and Smush into to the seventh seed whereas this oft-injured Lakers team could get back a healthy Kobe (Lebron) and KG (AD) right before the playoffs start.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Big difference is when healthy, this team is a top 3 seed. That Kobe led team really only was there because Kobe literally dragged them there.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject:

2nd most painful series loss in my Lakers fandom.

Thanks for reminding me.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Would love the Suns round 1
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject:

Ugh. Game 6 was a total heartbreak. Freaking Lamar Odom couldn’t make a damn rebound and George’s bad defense.

Also (bleep) you Tim Thomas.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject:

Still remember that. That was one of the best compliments to the greatness of Kobe and Phil Jackson, ever. We were not even close to the same level in terms of talent, but through the game management and tactics we made it a series we had multiple chances to win or close out even on a last possession. It was part of the growing process of that group of guys like Kobe, Odom, Sasha. I think Kobe and Phil needed that experience to continue to evolve together. Odom needed that as well, as it was his first real glimpse of how good he can be in a playoff setting.

This series if it were to happen, is a bit different. We are the more talented team, that should be seeded top 3. But we had injuries to AD-Bron. What is our record when AD and Bron both play. It has to be top 4 in the NBA, I would guess. I am not saying we are a lock to beat Suns, but talent wise, it is a lot closer, and probably tilts to our favor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Still remember that. That was one of the best compliments to the greatness of Kobe and Phil Jackson, ever. We were not even close to the same level in terms of talent, but through the game management and tactics we made it a series we had multiple chances to win or close out even on a last possession. It was part of the growing process of that group of guys like Kobe, Odom, Sasha. I think Kobe and Phil needed that experience to continue to evolve together. Odom needed that as well, as it was his first real glimpse of how good he can be in a playoff setting.

This series if it were to happen, is a bit different. We are the more talented team, that should be seeded top 3. But we had injuries to AD-Bron. What is our record when AD and Bron both play. It has to be top 4 in the NBA, I would guess. I am not saying we are a lock to beat Suns, but talent wise, it is a lot closer, and probably tilts to our favor.

What I remember most from that series: Odom vs Marion was a complete mismatch and one in our favor.
LAII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject:

Way to bring up the worst series in history. One that I will never forget since I was at every home game. Even winning in 2009, and 2010 (and I was at every home game of those as well) didn't erase the pain of losing having been up 3-1. Everyone knows the Lakers would have been Champs that year (they had San Antonio's number) if they had knocked of the Suns, in one of the greatest upsets of all time, and PJ's greatest coaching job ever.

Never ever ever mention this series again. EVER!
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Ugh. Game 6 was a total heartbreak. Freaking Lamar Odom couldn’t make a damn rebound and George’s bad defense.

Also (bleep) you Tim Thomas.

That missed rebound cost us a chip. would have have an epic beat down of the Heat at the height of the Shaq Kobe feud. This of course after we would have dispensed of the psychologically inferior Clips and Mavs in the WC.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
Way to bring up the worst series in history. One that I will never forget since I was at every home game. Even winning in 2009, and 2010 (and I was at every home game of those as well) didn't erase the pain of losing having been up 3-1. Everyone knows the Lakers would have been Champs that year (they had San Antonio's number) if they had knocked of the Suns, in one of the greatest upsets of all time, and PJ's greatest coaching job ever.

I think its very possible had we beaten Phoenix, we could have gotten past the Clippers and we know what Kobe did to Dallas this year. Even with that being said, I have a hard time believing we had enough to beat Dallas in a 7 game series, them coming off beating the Spurs on the road in a game 7 after blowing a 3-1 lead. And even if by some god's miracle we got past Dallas, are we beating Miami???? Against a Wade that was playing at a level that could match any of Kobe's finals appearances and with Miami having a far better supporting cast???? Not to mention, I always thought Wade was one of the few shorter guys than Kobe that could D him pretty well. Wade was a damn good defender - in fact one of the best when he focused on that end of the court
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LAII wrote:

I think its very possible had we beaten Phoenix, we could have gotten past the Clippers and we know what Kobe did to Dallas this year. Even with that being said, I have a hard time believing we had enough to beat Dallas in a 7 game series, them coming off beating the Spurs on the road in a game 7 after blowing a 3-1 lead. And even if by some god's miracle we got past Dallas, are we beating Miami???? Against a Wade that was playing at a level that could match any of Kobe's finals appearances and with Miami having a far better supporting cast???? Not to mention, I always thought Wade was one of the few shorter guys than Kobe that could D him pretty well. Wade was a damn good defender - in fact one of the best when he focused on that end of the court

Imagine Kobe in the Finals that year. Man might have averaged 40 just off his intensity
th13182
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Have we all just collectively forgotten the the Lakers were unceremoniously bounced by Phoenix the next season in a 2 vs 7 matchup?

You’d think as painful as the 2006 loss was that it would be the one we all burned from our memory.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

th13182 wrote:
Have we all just collectively forgotten the the Lakers were unceremoniously bounced by Phoenix the next season in a 2 vs 7 matchup?

You’d think as painful as the 2006 loss was that it would be the one we all burned from our memory.

I think most of us dont really care about the 2007 playoffs because of the lack of drama there....we just got outclassed with Stat back. Actually 2007 is the last year I would consider the dark years where the league and its teams were not that great (2000/2001-2006/2007 seasons). Lebron with poo-poo garbage in that 2007 season would not have made the finals really any other year other than maybe the garbage that came out of the East with the 76ers in 2001 and Nets in 2002 and 2003. It would be starting the next year 2007-2008 where all 8 west teams finished with 50 wins and greater and you had the whole Lakers vs Celtics thing going again where the league started to get exciting again....really the best since right before the lockout year and Jordan's successful last stand against Utah
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: