If we don’t Repeat .. Rob Pelinka will have to man up and apologize for breaking up a championship team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

Most, if not all, on LG thought we improved the roster in the off season.

Getting Drummond was like winning the lottery as a fan. Drummond has not worked out - despite his elite rebounding numbers everything else has been sub par. Dwight's defense was imposing last year. Drummond doesn't really impose himself on either end. At this point, I prefer Marc - because Marc knows how to play basketball. Drummond reminds me of a young development player that thinks he's going to win the game every time he touches the ball.

Wes vs. Green - Wes is active on defense just like Green. But his offense is so inconsistent it's hard to play him. When we made this move I thought the two were similar but only that Wes had the lower price tag. But clearly, at this point in their careers, Green is better.

Dennis is the best starting PG we've had in a long time. But at his best I doubt he can play up to the level of 'Playoff Rondo'. Dennis hasn't learned how to be a leader yet. But he will.

Trez - Not a fan personally. Again the hype in the beginning of the season was that we stole him from the Clipps. Bad defender at his position that can't stretch the floor. Allows more points scored against him than he puts up. Not what we need.

Hindsight 20/20 for sure...I thought we improved over the offseason. Clearly these moves haven't worked out. I applaud Rob for trying to make us better - the intent was there. But if it wasn't broken, why fix it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

What is sad to see is that with AD returning, we've fared WORSE with him back then when we had both LBJ/AD out. That's surprising to me and what could Rob had done about that?
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:

Getting Drummond was like winning the lottery as a fan. Drummond has not worked out - despite his elite rebounding numbers everything else has been sub par. Dwight's defense was imposing last year. Drummond doesn't really impose himself on either end. At this point, I prefer Marc - because Marc knows how to play basketball. Drummond reminds me of a young development player that thinks he's going to win the game every time he touches the ball.

Wes vs. Green - Wes is active on defense just like Green. But his offense is so inconsistent it's hard to play him. When we made this move I thought the two were similar but only that Wes had the lower price tag. But clearly, at this point in their careers, Green is better.

Dennis is the best starting PG we've had in a long time. But at his best I doubt he can play up to the level of 'Playoff Rondo'. Dennis hasn't learned how to be a leader yet. But he will.

Trez - Not a fan personally. Again the hype in the beginning of the season was that we stole him from the Clipps. Bad defender at his position that can't stretch the floor. Allows more points scored against him than he puts up. Not what we need.

Hindsight 20/20 for sure...I thought we improved over the offseason. Clearly these moves haven't worked out. I applaud Rob for trying to make us better - the intent was there. But if it wasn't broken, why fix it?

I agree with you. What I dont get it is people thinking that keeping Rondo (who (bleep) off for most of the season as he does every year), Dwight, Javale and Green would have been better this season with all of our injuries. We can assume if we have to rely on Rondo and everyone else much more (which we have this season), that they too would get nagging injuries as with our short turn around. So are people are suggesting that Pelinka should have kept a ticking time bomb rather than try to improve? Imagine we had to run a team with our last years squad AND with our injuries this season lmao. id argue we'd be even worse off. I applaud Pelinka for thinking ahead.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What is sad to see is that with AD returning, we've fared WORSE with him back then when we had both LBJ/AD out. That's surprising to me and what could Rob had done about that?

The big problem here is Schroeder also being out. We don't have a freaking PG available.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
Kava wrote:

I agree with you. What I dont get it is people thinking that keeping Rondo (who (bleep) off for most of the season as he does every year), Dwight, Javale and Green would have been better this season with all of our injuries. We can assume if we have to rely on Rondo and everyone else much more (which we have this season), that they too would get nagging injuries as with our short turn around. So are people are suggesting that Pelinka should have kept a ticking time bomb rather than try to improve? Imagine we had to run a team with our last years squad AND with our injuries this season lmao. id argue we'd be even worse off. I applaud Pelinka for thinking ahead.

He got the 6MOY, runner up 6MOY. Wes/Marc was widely panned as great additions too. Plus, we expected leaps from young-ish guys like Kuz/AC, THT. Bringing back the older guys IMO, and if AD/LBJ went out like they did, I think we would have done worse. Danny/Dwight/JAV were even more reliant on LBJ than the guys we picked up this year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:

Oh, no. There were the usual vocal posters who swooned over every move, but I'd say it was more like one-third thought we upgraded, one-third thought we downgraded, and one-third thought it was a push.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: If we don’t Repeat .. Rob Pelinka will have to man up and apologize for breaking up a championship team

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Howard and McGee were very exciting to watch with there enthusiasm, Rondo was a great leader who played a pivotal role in us capturing #17 and now he’s wearing the ugly Clippers uniform, last years team had a identity and knew what there role was, this team seems to getting worse as the season goes on, this is all on Pelinka and to some degree Vogel but overall the roster is nothing to be excited about and we are gonna need some big time changes to get back to championship level next year.

If the Lakers brought everyone back and didn't repeat, you would be demanding that Pelinka apologize for playing it safe and not having the guts to make changes to the team
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kava wrote:

Oh, no. There were the usual vocal posters who swooned over every move, but I'd say it was more like one-third thought we upgraded, one-third thought we downgraded, and one-third thought it was a push.

I was in the push crowd. I thought we traded defense for offense, but it wasn't obvious to me whether all the changes were a net positive or negative
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject:

Some of you are missing the point.

Last season - we had a future HOF'er, a bonafide rim protector, and two physically healthy and strong centers who fit into the scheme of the head coach. Both had good attitudes, and one was a chemistry guy and morale booster on and off the court.

This season- we have turmoil and inconsistency at the center spot. We may or may not have competent scoring; it's hard to tell because of the up and down play. We don't have true rim protection. No future HOF'ers, no centers that fit into our head coach's scheme, and at least two centers that have publicly complained about their role on the team.

Last season- we had a future HOF'er that brought tenacity, attitude, confidence, and order whenever he was on the court playing point guard. He made smart plays at the right time, he hit key 3 pointers during the playoffs, and he was able to be a mature, calming presence on court whenever Lebron James needed the rest.

This season- we have a selfish guy at point guard who doesn't help Lebron out at all, who can't be relied upon to run the offense, who can't hit the 3 pointer, who's selfishness will cost the team during a critical time, and who arrogantly turned down millions of dollars to play for the world champion LA Lakers.

The aforementioned has nothing to do with injuries. Injuries don't compromise our team chemistry. This year, all the new guys are complaining about something and underperforming, and moreso, not contributing anything close to the players that they replaced last season.

Rob Pelinka and Jeanne Buss weakened our World Championship team, and they need to be held accountable for it.

#stopmakingexcuses
#robpelinkagambledandwelost
#dammit

Last edited by troy on Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kava wrote:

The one move I was not thrilled about was Trezz. That was a genuine shocker to me. But of course, I rooted as much as I could for him but he's been an interesting fit on this team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Last season - we had a future HOF'er, a bonafide rim protector, and two physically healthy and strong centers who fit into the scheme of the head coach. Both had good attitudes, and one was a chemistry guy and morale booster on and off the court.

The whole point is AD/LBJ were healthy last year. And extremely healthy for the playoff push.

This team is a lottery team without a healthy AD/LBJ. You are literally arguing about the side dishes and ignoring the main course by not counting the nearly 30 consecutive games that were missed together by our two best players.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: If we don’t Repeat .. Rob Pelinka will have to man up and apologize for breaking up a championship team

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Howard and McGee were very exciting to watch with there enthusiasm, Rondo was a great leader who played a pivotal role in us capturing #17 and now he’s wearing the ugly Clippers uniform, last years team had a identity and knew what there role was, this team seems to getting worse as the season goes on, this is all on Pelinka and to some degree Vogel but overall the roster is nothing to be excited about and we are gonna need some big time changes to get back to championship level next year.

If the Lakers brought everyone back and didn't repeat, you would be demanding that Pelinka apologize for playing it safe and not having the guts to make changes to the team

The chemistry of last years team was far greater, this season it’s kinda in the middle, great chemistry gives you a chance to win so I would have taken my chances with last years team, last years team had more unity, this team still needs to prove that.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
Kava wrote:

He got the 6MOY, runner up 6MOY. Wes/Marc was widely panned as great additions too. Plus, we expected leaps from young-ish guys like Kuz/AC, THT. Bringing back the older guys IMO, and if AD/LBJ went out like they did, I think we would have done worse. Danny/Dwight/JAV were even more reliant on LBJ than the guys we picked up this year.

Exactly my point. Now picture this. We have AD-LeBron injured for a huge amount of games. We dont have a young 27 year old PG in DS to help us. Instead we have Rondo, who usually calls it in for the season and gets injured quite often himself. Now we have Rondo-KCP-Danny-Kuz/Trez-Dwight with Javale as back up. Rondo most likely gets injured because of how much we have to rely on him this season. We'd be out of the goshdarn play ins.

The reason why players like Rondo are thriving is because they arent being asked to carry a team which people like OP are suggesting should have happened with us if we ran it back.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

Repeating is no guarantee. Other factors like injuries, covid, lack of practice can deter cohesiveness making the journey to the championship more difficult and less likely. As far as I am concerned, I was stoked before the season as to how the team was built to compete now and still building for the future. As the season went along you can see pieces is not jiving as well, but cap and injuries and player availability is not in the cards. Getting AD2 was great move, but just not the player we need to patch the holes we have as the club. Can't blame Pelinka he did the best he could given the situation we are in. LBJ going down on that freak play on top of AD already down, totally ruined the season. Still not losing hope that he can return during the playoff and be that dominant player, but this journey to repeat will be difficult. Before the LBJ got injured he was the leading candidate to be MVP and confidence is still running high just waiting for AD to come back and be himself. Go Lakers, make this year a improbable and memorable championship yet and hope solidify LBJ as the goat in the NBA.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Kava wrote:

The one move I was not thrilled about was Trezz. That was a genuine shocker to me. But of course, I rooted as much as I could for him but he's been an interesting fit on this team.

I was overall happy with the moves other than Howard's departure i.e. I would've been swooning if Howard had stayed. The one move I was wrong about was Trezz, I had assumed the team would find a way to cultivate his offense and hide his defense; that has not happened, very disappointing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject:

The debbie downers are out in force....reality was injuries killed our season. Without injuries our team chemistry would've been a lot better. Without a healthy roster these guys never got a chance to jell. At least we won a championship before it all fell apart this season.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: If we don’t Repeat .. Rob Pelinka will have to man up and apologize for breaking up a championship team

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I agree. Rob's worth will only be counted for the no. of chips won during the Lebron era. Unfortunately for him, every year we don't win is counted as a failure.

But the Howard thing, the miscommunication or whatever the hell happened, seems like a glaring shatting of the bed at this point.

Would've loved to roll out Marc/Dwight combo at the starting and back up 5.

Wishful thinking.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

I think people need to relax.

We're going to be in better shape by the time the playoffs get here. No need to panic just yet, even if we do fall into the play in tourney.
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

As much as it looks like the team regressed this season, the competition did also go up a level. Nuggets pre Murray injury, Flippers, Utah, and Phx all made major improvements from last season. As much as anything, the Lakers didn't go up or down, the competition improved.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

people really think last year's team would fare better than this years team with the same injuries???
do me a favor, go to the Rondo thread in the achieved, and see how the same people here trashed him during the regular season, he was much worse than DS at least in the regular season. people were calling for him to retire.

when Lebron and AD were out, what we missed the most was scoring, and you guys expect DG, RONDO, Dwight to fill up that gap??

before Lebron went down, we were on a 4 games win streak after all star break and firing on all cylinders, and then SOLOMON HILL happened. now lebron will not be 100% no matter what.

i agree we probably can't win a chip this season. it just seems cursed. however, i would not put any blame on Rob because he tried his best to improve this team. in theory, if someone offered us DS+Trezz+Wes+Gasol for Dwight+Rondo+DG+mcgee+late 1st round, and you would say no before the season start?
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

I don't think so. His moves were totally reasonable - two sixthmen of the year types, a stretch 5, these were good things. Some could argue when healthy we were very good....and that's the biggest issue injury to our players, and not any players, but our two best, typically along with a 3rd player who is usually in the rotation for huge chunks of the season
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: If we don’t Repeat .. Rob Pelinka will have to man up and apologize for breaking up a championship team

Inspector Gadget wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The chemistry of last years team was far greater, this season it’s kinda in the middle, great chemistry gives you a chance to win so I would have taken my chances with last years team, last years team had more unity, this team still needs to prove that.

Eh. I think our chemistry was fine until Davis and Lebron got injured. Funny how that happens huh?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject:

Our team has been so devastated by injuries, I don't know if we are better or worse than last year's team.
If I had to guess, when healthy, we're worse. Just because we've had so little time for all our pieces to gel. LBJ, AD, and Drummond have played less than 30 minutes together this season. And that's supposed to be 3/5 of a championship starting lineup.
Schroder's leash will be so different when LBJ comes back and it's do or die time. I wish there were more reps there as well.
So many things have to go right for us, in a season that has been cursed up to this point. The margin of error is all but gone. One more setback or injury and it could be a wrap for this year.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri May 07, 2021 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

Because Howard leaving for less money was the Lakers fault? Or Avery Bradley opting out to get no playing time elsewhere for similar money was also Rob's fault? Or Rondo getting $15M? Because he traded Danny Green and got back a quality player when everyone thought Danny Green was overpaid and an expiring contract? Because he signed the sixth man of the year on a value contract? Or picked up an All-Star at the trade deadline?

Lakers fans like to play the blame game. Rob shoves all in with Aces, and you complain about it because the dealer gave the 2 outer a set...
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

What exactly Howard and McGee did in playoffs? AD at center was always the end game so dunno whats big deal them leaving? Same for Green and we got best trade deal for him we could get. Now if Ibaka was open to join us then i would prefer him over Trezz. As for Rondo, he was out our price range, I dont think we can blame Pelinka at all. This is all about injuries and short off season. Just look at W/ECF teams. All 4 dealt with injuries and underperformed so far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: