In retrospect...was it worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
How foolish would we look if reports were leaked about how the Lakers passed on signing LeBron because we wanted to develop the YUTES

"What's popular isn't always right and what's right isn't always popular" - Jerry West
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject:

The 76ers began their rebuilding plan almost a decade ago.
The thunder had a rebuilding and YOUTH/elite draft picks plan for a decade
They had so many very good teams. But not one single title team.

Just for Kobe, what these great group of guys did, should always be remembered. No matter how crappy Bron/AD close out their tenure, I always will respect and appreciate their dedication to bringing LA back to the championship level.

As good as some of the young guys have been, not one for them have shown they can lead a team to a title. And Paul George. Excuse me. He’s not leading a team to (bleep). Maybe as a second fiddle to Kawhi, who will be the leader.

I know we have live in an instant grat world, but this was just 7 months ago. The Lakers have legit reason to be banged up and hobbled. It’s not like they have been 100% healthy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject:

Yes,it was worth it
Because there's no guarantee that the "boatload of talent" gets you anywhere beyond a conference final
Because it got us a title,and NBA titles don't grow on trees
And because it made us tie the rings count with the Celtics,something this franchise has been chasing since...forever
Yes,it was so damn worth it
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: In retrospect...was it worth it?

RashardA wrote:
I know hindsight is 20/20 but its still a question I believe is worth asking.

When Lebron first signed here, there were many fans who said the Lakers had sold their soul for 4 years of an aging superstar.

So I ask...If LeBron and AD dont win another title together, was signing LeBron & trading for AD really worth it?

The Lakers gave up a boatload of talent to sign LeBron and to trade for AD.

LeBron is 36 years old and has been injured 2 of the 3 seasons he's been here.

He's now giving soundbites about never being 100% ever again.

AD has achilles issues, doesnt look motivated anymore & has a long history of getting injured.

Yes, the Lakers won a title last year and that is fantastic.

That squad will forever be appreciated by the Lakers fans for winning it all in a year full of sadness and tragedy.

However, many outside of Lakers fans will view that title as < because of the circumstances under which it was won.

IMO, I looked at this season as a way for them to validate their title from last season in the eyes of their haters and detractors.

We all know if the Lakers fail to win it all this season, their haters will go all in even harder to discredit the title they won in the bubble.

So again, was it truly worth it?

Was it worth breaking up a young core that developed into 3 all stars ( DLo, BI, Ju) a sixth man of the year (JC) and a ton of top tier role players (Zo,Hart,Zu,LNJ)?

Could that young core of players have grown into champions here with a much larger window?

I ask this question because my Dad and I had a long conversation about this yesterday.

Im sure i'll get some blowback for even posing this question but im curious to know what LG thinks.

LOL! Ever heard of a "paragraph?"
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

Op and a few others in here are definitely a bunch of Casuals who soak up too much Skip Bayless and Charles Barkley’s hot takes/garbage.

Like most people mentioned of course winning #17 was all worth it.
Also sick of these Lakers haters saying bubble chip? As if the basketball courts weren’t 94 feet long and the rims weren’t 10 feet high! Probably some of the most purest basketball we’ve ever seen.

Also surprised on how soo many have given up on the Lebron and AD core moving forward.

One thing about this possible failed season is it’ll give Lebron and AD more time to heal. An i’ll gladly take these two healthy and motivated going into next season with a revamped roster surrounding them.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Op and a few others in here are definitely a bunch of Casuals who soak up too much Skip Bayless and Charles Barkley’s hot takes/garbage.

Like most people mentioned of course winning #17 was all worth it.
Also sick of these Lakers haters saying bubble chip? As if the basketball courts weren’t 94 feet long and the rims weren’t 10 feet high! Probably some of the most purest basketball we’ve ever seen.

Also surprised on how soo many have given up on the Lebron and AD core moving forward.

One thing about this possible failed season is it’ll give Lebron and AD more time to heal. An i’ll gladly take these two healthy and motivated going into next season with a revamped roster surrounding them.

"Trophy in hand worth 16 in bush"
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The 76ers began their rebuilding plan almost a decade ago.
The thunder had a rebuilding and YOUTH/elite draft picks plan for a decade
They had so many very good teams. But not one single title team.

Just for Kobe, what these great group of guys did, should always be remembered. No matter how crappy Bron/AD close out their tenure, I always will respect and appreciate their dedication to bringing LA back to the championship level.

As good as some of the young guys have been, not one for them have shown they can lead a team to a title. And Paul George. Excuse me. He’s not leading a team to (bleep). Maybe as a second fiddle to Kawhi, who will be the leader.

I know we have live in an instant grat world, but this was just 7 months ago. The Lakers have legit reason to be banged up and hobbled. It’s not like they have been 100% healthy.

I've been one of the most vocal people against trading and divesting everything and I've never said that I thought the young guys would lead the team to the title.

I've said clearly... With two elites plus the best of the young core, plus the draft picks... we'd be better off. Obviously some of the loss can be accounted for getting rid of Mozdeng... but the majority was trading and divesting assets to clear room for AD and a half baked plan to sign Kawhi.

If we signed both... sure, I have no argument against getting rid of what we lost for both... but we only traded for AD... and then with either blind faith or faulty intelligence we got it into our heads that Kawhi was coming even though all previous signs had led to him going to the Clippers.

I don't know why people keep acting like someone said the young kids were going to turn into LBJ or AD... I NEVER SAID THAT... NO ONE DID.

All we said is that they'd be better than the likes of Drummond, Schroder, Harrell... and that I think the supporting cast is a bar that they've arguably exceeded... not to mention all those assets and draft picks would be useful in a situation like we found ourselves when we tried to acquire Lowry.

I'm not the enemy... I love the team... I just think there's more than one way to skin a cat and although one can't argue that we've had success and won the title... I think it's fair to wonder if we got rid of too many assets.
The topic of thread is asking was it worth it... obviously if everything was well, no one would have replied because the question would have been absurd.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

Sentient back folks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

What team has 2 all NBA players AND a young elite core?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient back folks.

Come on, man. How many times do you need to say this? It's not like your post count needs padding.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Brooklyn has three all NBA players and some nice pieces who can actually shoot.

GSW had Steph, KD, and Klay plus Draymond and other nice players

Philly had Embiid, Ben, Jimmy Butler, and Tobias.

We almost had LBJ, AD, and Kawhi.

Again... I've said over and over that we couldn't keep them all but at least we'd have some as well as some smaller cost controlled assets plus draft picks to replenish the team or use as trade pieces.

I'll never understand why my opinion bothers you so much, other than it's different than yours.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Again... I've said over and over that we couldn't keep them all but at least we'd have some as well as some smaller cost controlled assets plus draft picks to replenish the team or use as trade pieces.

I'll never understand why my opinion bothers you so much, other than it's different than yours.

The young core part is what is usually sacrificed.

The Warriors were a once-in-a-generation draft group. OKC had one too but couldn't win.

Again, for me personally, BI/Zo/#4 for AD is fine. I just didn't like how we dumped someone like Jules (who is nothing like he is now but still I wanted to see what he would do next to LBJ). We still kept Kuz (who helped in the championship run), have THT, and pieces like AC/KCP are still not even that old.

I think but for Solomon Hill, we would be looking at this season a bit differently. He really screwed up the season b/c with LBJ + company, I think we'd have maintained a top 4 seed.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

Yes, because most teams don't win championships, let alone make it to the finals. Maybe I'll have a different opinion if AD's injury woes continue.

That being said, the all ex-Laker team would be pretty darn good, if not playoff bound most of the time. They'd still be a Paul George away from contending, but that's a solid team with lots of depth and shooting.

PG- Ball-Clarkson-Bonga
SG- KCP-Hart-Clarkson
SF - BI-Bullock
PF - Randle-Nance-Wagner
C - Zubac-Lopez-Bryant

I'm proud that a lot of these dudes are doing well. I mean who would have thought that Zubac, a draft and stash candidate picked in the 2nd round, would end up as the starter on a contending team in the Western conference? Mad props to our drafting department.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

I think the "PLAN" was:

LBJ/PG13 in 2018.

Then the would marshal up the same trade assets to get AD.

So the Big 3 would have been LBJ/PG13/AD. Obviously that failed so they tried to get Kawhi but ended up with Danny Green/Rondo with the same $ and got a championship. So that was not a failure by any means.

Remember also. Most of the contracts line up so they end with LBJ's latest deal. So by that time, we may have massive cap space + AD to rebuild quickly. But that's a few years away.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The Warriors were a once-in-a-generation draft group. OKC had one too but couldn't win.

Again, for me personally, BI/Zo/#4 for AD is fine. I just didn't like how we dumped someone like Jules (who is nothing like he is now but still I wanted to see what he would do next to LBJ). We still kept Kuz (who helped in the championship run), have THT, and pieces like AC/KCP are still not even that old.

I think but for Solomon Hill, we would be looking at this season a bit differently. He really screwed up the season b/c with LBJ + company, I think we'd have maintained a top 4 seed.

If AD fully regains his health... and Lonzo never progresses past this point... depending on what happens with Hunter or Garland... whoever we would have chosen... then sure... I can accept that that was a reasonable trade even though I hated it at the time and still think it was on the high side.

But again my argument is with losing almost everything... including dumping Zu and Julius... Thomas Bryant... even pieces like Svi who have yet to develop into much. Plus all those picks, which to our franchise which has proven the ability to find gems low in the draft... are the Kuzmas, the THTs, the Clarksons... that aren't just expendable assets.

You think I'm obsessed with the core... but if we had acquired Lowry... you'd have found me in a way better mood because this team hasn't looked right all season... even when we were winning. I'll also be in a great mood if we draft Juzang this year because there's a young shooter from my school who has already proven to be clutch.

I'm not sitting there with a poster of BI in my room, pining for him even though he was my favorite young player. I wanted to keep him for when LBJ got old. If we can find some young player who shows the same ability to create and get his shot, I'll be fine with whoever we get and I'll forget about BI. Heck even Juzang might make me forget BI if he shows the promise he did in the tournament. For all the big numbers that BI has put up... he hasn't shown the ability to lead his team to victory on a consistent basis... If he gets there... then I'll start to regret again... but if AD gets well and starts winning without LBJ, then I can live without a BI that doesn't win games for his team.

There's a big difference between a team who can win a title and a team that you expect to win the title. Usually with the Lakers of the Showtime and Kobe/Shaq era... even the Kobe/Gasol era, I expected us to win.

With the LBJ/AD era... I've mostly thought maybe we can win with a little luck... but I've yet to expect them to win. As a Lakers fan, that's what I'm used to doing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You think I'm obsessed with the core... but if we had acquired Lowry... you'd have found me in a way better mood because this team hasn't looked right all season... even when we were winning.

I was fine with trading Dennis/KCP for Lowry. But you would have also been ok with THT (and some reports that Raps also wanted a draft pick too?) too? That would literally strip our "young core" and be going all in for the next 2 years.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
You think I'm obsessed with the core... but if we had acquired Lowry... you'd have found me in a way better mood because this team hasn't looked right all season... even when we were winning.

I was fine with trading Dennis/KCP for Lowry. But you would have also been ok with THT (and some reports that Raps also wanted a draft pick too?) too? That would literally strip our "young core" and be going all in for the next 2 years.

My point is if we had some of those pieces or picks we could have got Lowry.

I agree with keeping THT at this point.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

We won a championship. It was worth it.

But I want more...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

My point is if we had some of those pieces or picks we could have got Lowry.

I agree with keeping THT at this point.

We did have the pieces. It was THT. And Rob rightfully said no. So it wasn't a matter of having 0 assets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If AD fully regains his health... and Lonzo never progresses past this point... depending on what happens with Hunter or Garland... whoever we would have chosen... then sure... I can accept that that was a reasonable trade even though I hated it at the time and still think it was on the high side.

But again my argument is with losing almost everything... including dumping Zu and Julius... Thomas Bryant... even pieces like Svi who have yet to develop into much. Plus all those picks, which to our franchise which has proven the ability to find gems low in the draft... are the Kuzmas, the THTs, the Clarksons... that aren't just expendable assets.

You think I'm obsessed with the core... but if we had acquired Lowry... you'd have found me in a way better mood because this team hasn't looked right all season... even when we were winning. I'll also be in a great mood if we draft Juzang this year because there's a young shooter from my school who has already proven to be clutch.

I'm not sitting there with a poster of BI in my room, pining for him even though he was my favorite young player. I wanted to keep him for when LBJ got old. If we can find some young player who shows the same ability to create and get his shot, I'll be fine with whoever we get and I'll forget about BI. Heck even Juzang might make me forget BI if he shows the promise he did in the tournament. For all the big numbers that BI has put up... he hasn't shown the ability to lead his team to victory on a consistent basis... If he gets there... then I'll start to regret again... but if AD gets well and starts winning without LBJ, then I can live without a BI that doesn't win games for his team.

There's a big difference between a team who can win a title and a team that you expect to win the title. Usually with the Lakers of the Showtime and Kobe/Shaq era... even the Kobe/Gasol era, I expected us to win.

With the LBJ/AD era... I've mostly thought maybe we can win with a little luck... but I've yet to expect them to win. As a Lakers fan, that's what I'm used to doing.

But imagine if Kobe/Pau were out for nearly 40% of the season consecutively.

No way Bynum/Odom hold that team up to make the playoffs. I think people are really downplaying how badly it hurt the team to lose AD/LBJ for so long.
cencio_999
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the "PLAN" was:

LBJ/PG13 in 2018.

Then the would marshal up the same trade assets to get AD.

So the Big 3 would have been LBJ/PG13/AD. Obviously that failed so they tried to get Kawhi but ended up with Danny Green/Rondo with the same $ and got a championship. So that was not a failure by any means.

Remember also. Most of the contracts line up so they end with LBJ's latest deal. So by that time, we may have massive cap space + AD to rebuild quickly. But that's a few years away.

If that was the plan (and it could have been), Earvin Johnson totally screwed it, starting with getting fined for tampering for PG13 and ending with no getting even a meeting with him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: