This year's Lakers team just doesn't have "it"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

Yes, “it’s just you”.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

I can see the reasoning behind the question. Of comparing seasons.

A part of the answer is I think we need to acknowledge how special last year was. Remember it was a newly formed team with lots of questions to be answered going into the season.

It came together amazingly quickly and at a high level. The energy and chemistry was unexpected. Both James and Davis played at MVP levels, relatively injury free and meshed together from day one. Both played with purpose and direction from game one. The team followed.

Last years team also benefitted from a nice long four month rest period before the playoffs. They picked up Morris, a key buyout addition that contributed in the playoffs. Then add the ridiculous improvement of “ playoff Rondo”. Going into the bubble there were many criticizing him even making the roster. No one expected the increased level of play.

Bottom line last year was amazing in the way the chemistry and players fell into place perfectly to win the Championship.

In comparison, this year has been almost the opposite. If there was a problem to be found the Lakers have found it.

Getting James and Davis back will help. But still remains to be seen if they can both play at a high enough level to carry the team to the Finals in a competitive WC. Same issue with overall health and chemistry. Will this team be “ special”.

I have had similar concerns as the OP most of the season. But hoping they can find a way to get the wins and a ring. It is a different season. They have to prove “ it” all over again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
We can't judge these guys individually until we get to the playoffs and we see how they perform there. Chris Paul is one of the top competitors in this league and he loved Schroder last year. In interviews he was gushing about him. Hope Schroder brings that same determination in the playoffs this year. I expect he would since he's playing for a contract.

I do agree Gasol should not have told everyone what he's thinking in public way. Comments like that can affect team chemistry and good team chemistry without is absolutely critical for success no matter how much talent you have. That was kind of unprofessional from someone who has been the epitome of a pro during his career.

That was surprising to me b/c I adore the Gasol Bros. But I also don't get why Vogel can't try to have him more regularly in the rotation, even if it is not as heavy minute wise. I mean AD is out, and Drummond has been out a bunch too.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Sometimes hot takes are the worst takes
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
I feel like this post really lacks the context of the effect of those two top guys injured.

We have players who probably should be resting due to legitimate injuries (DS, Kuz, KCP, AD2) who really are unable to because we have our top two guys out. They are forced to return to the lineup sooner because we simply don’t have the bodies to compete without them. In turn their performance is affected by the fact that they’re not fully healthy and they’re now being the sole focus of opposing team’s game plan.

This is a byproduct of the play in game and the extra cautious time we afforded our superstars. To me - rather than congratulating them for playing beyond expectations 4-3 on a road trip - they’re lambasted for losing to teams at full health.

These guys just won a ring and were the last to have fans and yet it’s still never good enough in Lakersland because patience is nonexistent.

Excellent post!
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ahaider wrote:
I feel like this post really lacks the context of the effect of those two top guys injured.

We have players who probably should be resting due to legitimate injuries (DS, Kuz, KCP, AD2) who really are unable to because we have our top two guys out. They are forced to return to the lineup sooner because we simply don’t have the bodies to compete without them. In turn their performance is affected by the fact that they’re not fully healthy and they’re now being the sole focus of opposing team’s game plan.

This is a byproduct of the play in game and the extra cautious time we afforded our superstars. To me - rather than congratulating them for playing beyond expectations 4-3 on a road trip - they’re lambasted for losing to teams at full health.

These guys just won a ring and were the last to have fans and yet it’s still never good enough in Lakersland because patience is nonexistent.

Excellent post!

This team cannot be properly graded until we have Lebron and AD playing 30+ minutes in a playoff setting or elimination game. Once the stakes are raised, we can see exactly if the offseason moves Pellinka made will pay dividends or not. If AD is playing 30+ minutes and the team looks this horrible on offense than yes, something was missing from this season that would have resulted in the team failing in the end.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

You are correct. Great post.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

vcdplaya3002 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Excellent post!

This team cannot be properly graded until we have Lebron and AD playing 30+ minutes in a playoff setting or elimination game. Once the stakes are raised, we can see exactly if the offseason moves Pellinka made will pay dividends or not. If AD is playing 30+ minutes and the team looks this horrible on offense than yes, something was missing from this season that would have resulted in the team failing in the end.

I am confident that this team playing so many games without LBJ/AD, will be stronger for getting reps and experience (especially guys like THT, even Dennis/Kuz/Kieff, etc.).

I'm disappointed that Drummond's toe injury has really hampered him. Would have liked 10+ games of run with us by the time one of LBJ/AD return.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

i get the fact that out of one side of our mouth we say certain teams havent played together so thats a knock on them and out of the other side we say for us it doesnt matter when in fact we have a lot of new key guys.

I just know with only Lebron and DS we are pretty good, with Lebron and AD we were dominant and on paper improved our team a week ago. So 'it" really isnt a thing unless you win "it"
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

correct, Lakers do not have Isaiah Thomas on the roster.... but I am guessing they have some sort of IT support for the office staff at least...
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I think if we can be mostly healthy going into the playoffs, we'll run teams off the floor.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I think if we can be mostly healthy going into the playoffs, we'll run teams off the floor.

100% this.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

I agree 100% with the poster.

Let's forfeit the rest of the season.

Back to reality, no wonder other people hate Laker fans.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

We’re about to get well rested AD, Bron and Drummond with enough games to get into that playoff mode... and still in the west top 6, I’ll take our chances
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

What a horrible attitude and outlook to have.. Not the first time you've completely doubted the team this season either.. It's all doom for some here which is kind of ridiculous considering we're still clearly top contenders when everyone is back and that's coming very soon.

I disagree with nearly every single one of your individual points as well which is kind of sad since you're supposed to be a Lakers fan. Most of them are just straight up ridiculous and Skip Bayless esque nonsense.

Personally, I have had the polar opposite opinion of this team without our two main guys and a plethora of other injuries/covid related missed games by the majority of the roster. This team has shown they aren't afraid to get dirty and grind out wins or when they go down big they never give up and have almost had 2 monumental comebacks recently against massively superior teams in the Celtics and Sixers considering everyone we were missing for the games. We also just recently blew out the Nets when nobody thought we had even a slim chance.

I said this in another post but in a recent game I saw a pretty eye opening stat that I believe the Jazz have only had 3 different starting lineups all year with very few minimal injuries while the Lakers I believe are right around 20 different starting lineups with an absolutely ridiculous amount of missed games across the entire roster. You add to the fact the two guys with the most missed games are our two super stars and it makes what the rest of this team has accomplished pretty damn good imo.

We're still right there for a chance at Home Court by the end of the year through it all with a very rested LBJ and AD returning soon. If I was betting there's not a single team i'd take over ours when healthy this season and I can promise no team or there fans are looking forward to a matchup with us. Nearly every fanbase wishes they had the chance we do this year at a Championship so it makes our entire fanbase look a bit ridiculous with these kind of over the top doom posts.

You notice how Drummond and Dennis have struggled lately as the main focus on offense? Well they're about to drop down to 3-4 or maybe even 5-6 options on nights they aren't feeling it. We will once again have that consistent 1-2 punch we can count on nightly. That's what you need late in games which we've been lacking and we happen to have the best 1-2 punch in the NBA bar none. Not to mention all the role players get to be back to just playing there roles and not trying to go way out of there comfort zones to fill other voids.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to feel that way and if I was a fan of another team and saw this I can completely understand why they would hate Lakers fans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I would not want to face a healthy Lakers squad in the playoffs.

Dennis/KCP/LBJ/AD/AD2

Then we hit you with a bench of:

AC/THT/Wes/Kieff/Trezz/Gasol?

Let's go.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Dennis/KCP/LBJ/AD/AD2

Let's go.

The disrespect to Kuz
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Dennis/KCP/LBJ/AD/AD2

Let's go.

The disrespect to Kuz

Oh geez, I forget him. Even more firepower!!! It's been a long day at work.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

<snip>

Oh geez, I forget him. Even more firepower!!! It's been a long day at work.

We talking about work, man. I mean, how silly is that? And we talking about work.
We ain’t talking about Lakersground. We’re talking about work, man?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Our bench is getting better by the day
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: This year's Lakers team just doesn't have "it"

troy wrote:
Is it me, or does it seem like this season's Lakers team has no chemistry, no hunger, no enthusiasm, different agendas, and seem very disjointed.

* Dennis Schröder makes demands as a new guy (to start), then proceeds to turn down lucrative extensions, and then he has a public spat with our head coach, and it's not like he's been blowing it up out there.

* Marc Gasol started out the season bloated and out of shape. And then he publically criticized his role when Drummond came, which couldn't have made Drummond feel welcomed, adding to locker room tensions, perhaps?

* Montrez Harrell is acting like a mental case out there, ala Kyrie Irving. He seems depressed, out of it. Often barks at his own players mid game, and tends to disappear offensively and defensively too often. His body language sucks, and it doesn't seem like he gives a damn.

* Anthony Caruso, instead of improving his game, has actually regressed. Seems like he got too into himself after winning the ring last season and forgot that improvement is a consistent endeavor for an NBA pro.

* KCP, other than the occasional good game, has been abysmal. I can understand having a slump. But a season long slump is not acceptable at his pay rate.

* Wesley Matthews has been a pure disappointment. I don't know if much was expected from him, but even what little was likely expected (hit some 3's play some D), he has been inept at executing.

* Even Anthony Davis started the season like he didn't care. Often lazy with his effort, he underachieved the majority of games before his injury, blaming it on his being "tired", or "pacing" himself.

This year's Lakers doesn't have the drive, focus, dedication, enthusiasm, nor the energy that last season's team has. Not sure if things will come together in time for the post season. Blame it on a short off season, or some bad signings, or whatever. This year's Lakers team just doesn't seem to have that bond last year's team had. Just my 2 cents.

For the most part, it's you. Not completely, but for the most part. Before he went down I remember AD stating something to the effect of "wow, we've got a really good team". They had just came back and beat a team, and I think Trez really balled that game, which prompted AD's comment.

Well, when he returns, which is very near, and LeBron returns, which is a bit away, but still almost imminent, things will change....dramatically. One reason is because the team those two are coming back to will be different.

You mentioned "this year's team just doesn't seem to have that bond as last year's team, that might be true, yet Drummond chose us. He must have been impressed with more than just the recruitment efforts of James & Davis.

With Drummond in the fold, and the basketball gods willing, a healthy NBA dynamite duo returning, IT will change, if IT wasn't apparent before now.
vcdplaya3002
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This year's Lakers team just doesn't have "it"

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
troy wrote:
Is it me, or does it seem like this season's Lakers team has no chemistry, no hunger, no enthusiasm, different agendas, and seem very disjointed.

* Dennis Schröder makes demands as a new guy (to start), then proceeds to turn down lucrative extensions, and then he has a public spat with our head coach, and it's not like he's been blowing it up out there.

* Marc Gasol started out the season bloated and out of shape. And then he publically criticized his role when Drummond came, which couldn't have made Drummond feel welcomed, adding to locker room tensions, perhaps?

* Montrez Harrell is acting like a mental case out there, ala Kyrie Irving. He seems depressed, out of it. Often barks at his own players mid game, and tends to disappear offensively and defensively too often. His body language sucks, and it doesn't seem like he gives a damn.

* Anthony Caruso, instead of improving his game, has actually regressed. Seems like he got too into himself after winning the ring last season and forgot that improvement is a consistent endeavor for an NBA pro.

* KCP, other than the occasional good game, has been abysmal. I can understand having a slump. But a season long slump is not acceptable at his pay rate.

* Wesley Matthews has been a pure disappointment. I don't know if much was expected from him, but even what little was likely expected (hit some 3's play some D), he has been inept at executing.

* Even Anthony Davis started the season like he didn't care. Often lazy with his effort, he underachieved the majority of games before his injury, blaming it on his being "tired", or "pacing" himself.

This year's Lakers doesn't have the drive, focus, dedication, enthusiasm, nor the energy that last season's team has. Not sure if things will come together in time for the post season. Blame it on a short off season, or some bad signings, or whatever. This year's Lakers team just doesn't seem to have that bond last year's team had. Just my 2 cents.

For the most part, it's you. Not completely, but for the most part. Before he went down I remember AD stating something to the effect of "wow, we've got a really good team". They had just came back and beat a team, and I think Trez really balled that game, which prompted AD's comment.

Well, when he returns, which is very near, and LeBron returns, which is a bit away, but still almost imminent, things will change....dramatically. One reason is because the team those two are coming back to will be different.

You mentioned "this year's team just doesn't seem to have that bond as last year's team, that might be true, yet Drummond chose us. He must have been impressed with more than just the recruitment efforts of James & Davis.

With Drummond in the fold, and the basketball gods willing, a healthy NBA dynamite duo returning, IT will change, if IT wasn't apparent before now.

Trez as the defensive anchor in pick n rolls is something that will not get better with AD and lebron coming back. I hope Vogel has the guts to bench him in favor of better matchups defensively when the games matter.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

OP:

You are really looking at the glass as half empty.

This is not to suggest some of the points you raise do not have any validity or are unreasonable, it's just if you start with a "they just dont have it" premise then look for facts - or perception of situations - to support that premise, you've convinced yourself of the very position you started with.

But take everything - injuries, shortened off season...more injuries...etc, etc into context and frankly they are probably at the best case scenario for them under the circumstances if we then make a conclusion after looking at the entire pie, instead of that one section where the crust is uneven and was a little undercooked.

In sum, hard to take a position on a team when its top 2 players / 40% of its starting lineup / 50 points a game is missing night after night.
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Who the heck is Anthony Caruso?!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: