LAKERS -at- KNICKS - 4/12 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- KNICKS - 4/12 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Tough to Win with That Many TOs... The Lakers coughed up 25 turnovers, which the Knicks turned into 29 points tonight on their way to the 111-96 win over L.A..

The Knicks packed the paint and doubled our post players. The result was a combined 3 points from Trezz and Drummond. The offense went dry in the third quarter for a 6-minute stretch, and the Lakers would finish with just 16 points to trail big heading into the fourth.

Late in the game, Vogel would bring in Gasol, and they’d put together a 10-0 run to give themselves a chance as they cut the lead to 5. But a couple scores later, we were down 10 and that was that.

Vogel summing up the game: “We had 25 turnovers, and we got our shot blocked 9 times,” Vogel said. Not to mention the 16 offensive boards the team gave up.

Got to try to get the game tomorrow and win the roadtrip.

Schröder -- -- He scored 17 points on 6-8 shooting in the first half. Really strong first half getting some And-1s on drives and hitting from midrange and a three. Again, sloppy ball. He started the second half with a couple turnovers. He was stripped and blocked twice later. The wheels came off that good start. The inability to make the defense pay for overplaying really made LeBron being out especially painful tonight. As much as he struggled, the drop off when Schroder wasn’t on the floor tonight was pretty big. The offense flatlined at one point and didn’t seem to get on track until he was back in the game. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 7-13 shooting (1-3 from three, 6-6 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 6 assists, 5 turnovers and 2 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -5.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Some good work moving in off the three line for some scores from the midrange or a drive from the corner. “They were closing out hot,” KCP said. He’d knock down a three off the same ATO we ran last time to set him up on that left wing. That’s his play now. He’d also swish a wing three later when Gasol was in and Dennis was able to backdoor his man and take the pass from Marc and hit KCP in the corner. Four assists tonight (a nice kickout to Morris for a three and a little shovel pass to Kuz on the break for a dunk on a couple of those). I’ll take this game from KCP. He’s stringing some better games together. His confidence is building. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-10 shooting (2-4 from three) to go with 4 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 28 minutes. He was a -6.

Drummond -- -- Help D and rebounding work was a little flat-footed at times. We are short on bigs at the moment, but if we had our usual full house I would hope he’s trying to challenge more shots and showed more bounce than this game. He should have been more aggressive than he was on D. The Knicks had 15 offensive boards. Our bigs could have used more help, but definitely some of that was on Drummond, too, not being as active as we needed. Offensively, we were a mess. He didn’t have any room to work, occasionally would force the issue, but more often we couldn’t get it to him cleanly. He scored his only buck on an offensive board, which he powered in for a dunk. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-3 shooting (1-1 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 1 steal, 1 block, 4 turnovers and 4 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a -5.

Kuzma -- -- Oof. A -26 in 30 minutes. That perimeter shooting tonight was not there. He struggled from three (2-9). This only makes things harder on the offense when Kuz isn’t hitting and teams can sag off THT. So when Schröder (-5) sat, the second unit couldn’t operate effectively. Kuzma did get a couple threes to drop. He also had some moments in transition changing ends quick for scores, but not a good night offensively. Really good first few minutes of defense by Kuzma. He ha d some good challenges, blocked a shot, stripped a man, drew a moving screen call. Strong out the gates on that end. Defense on RJ Barrett (2-11) with KCP helped keep him from scoring. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 5-13 shooting (2-9 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 2 blocks, 3 turnovers and 2 foul sin 30 minutes. He was a -26.

Morris -- -- He turned an ankle after 3 minutes and went to the locker room to get it re-taped. He came back and dropped 13 points on 5-6 shooting in the first half, including 3-4 from three and a couple assists. Strong game from him offensively (scoring-wise). There were some bad post entry passes tonight (I think he had two turnovers on those). Lakers really did a poor job in that area. Randle is a tough cover. He had his shot going early on. Morris was mixing it up a bit better later in the game to help get some turnovers. Morris picked up a tech on a bogus call on one end, then a no call on the other. This game really showed how difficult things are for us sometimes with playmaking and activating our non-shooting bigs. In the playoffs, a guy like Morris who can space the floor with AD for LeBron will make the game a much simpler and help us cut down on those turnovers. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 7-11 shooting (3-6 from three) to go with 4 boards, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 27 minutes. He was a -3.

Harrell -- -- Fewest notes I had from him all season. He got outplayed by Gibson (6 offensive boards) and was a -12 in 15 minutes. Offensively, the bagel from Trezz. He’s almost always good for a double digits. Credit the Knicks. A big part of the problem, though, is when our playmakers struggle, Trezz will struggle. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-4 shooting to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -12.

Gasol -- -- It seemed a bit obvious in the first half, that we should have been running him with how the Knicks were defending. With 9:43 left and down 10 we brought in Gasol in the fourth for Trezz. The Knicks were doubling the post or packing the paint and forcing short-roll decisions for our bigs. Trezz and Drummond passing out of double teams or guys trying to force passes to them in a crowd was causing problems. With Gasol, you aren’t making those same passes and you pull their helping bigs out of the paint. This is the second time we’ve seen Gasol get this late game call. He’s got to stay warm. That’s a tough task for a vet. But Marc came in and gave the team a brief spark as he hit a three on his first attempt. Playing out on the perimeter allowed for Schröder to get to the rim a couple of times (one for a score, another for a pass to KCP for a three after a Gasol backdoor feed to Dennis), On another Morris layup, Gasol pulled his big to the corner to allow Dennis/Kieff to run the two-man game for that score. They trimmed the lead to 5, but then gave up a couple of scores and trailed by 10 again and Vogel sat him from there. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 1 board), 1 steal and 1 foul in 5 minutes. He was a +2.

Caruso -- -- He had the best pass of the night, hitting THT on a lob on the break, but the team really struggled with AC out there (-11). We had a massive dry spell in the third that I think was finally broken up when AC stole a ball and took it for a score. He’d also draw a charge, sacrificing the body on D. But we need scorers and playmakers around him. We had some late clock issues with him on the floor. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-4 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover and no fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -11.

Horton-Tucker -- -- He had a two-handed reverse jam off a lob on the break when AC found him in the third quarter. Highlight play of the game. Lowlight plays might be getting caught in the air or picking up the dribble prematurely to cause problems. Looked like a youngster, for sure, tonight. The Knicks could also sag off him and pack that paint. When you’ve got Kuz not shooting well, AC and THT out there all not being threats from the perimeter, that made things especially difficult. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-9 shooting (1-3 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 22 minutes. He was a -3.

Matthews -- -- Had to defend Randle for some lengthy stretches. This is the state of our PF spot with now McKinnie unable to go. Our smaller guys did a decent job on Julius. Wes couldn’t get his shot to go, but he was able to draw some fouls on the perimeter. Not much offensively, though. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 0-3 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 1 assist, 1 block an 1 foul in 17 minutes. He was a -5.

McLemore -- -- Streaky shooter and we tried to get him going early, but he was clanking away. To win this one, they needed another stretch like he had in the last one. That didn’t happen. We had a chance to possibly have a 6-point possession in the fourth that could have trimmed the lead to punching distance when he got a flagrant on a three as a defender stepped under him. He missed one of the FTs and then a subsequent three, so only 2 points on that trip. So that didn’t happen, either. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 2-8 shooting (2-7 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 1 assist, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 14 minutes. He was a -1.

Cacok -- -- He had a garbage time dunk. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 1 board in 3 minutes. He was a +0.

Antetokounmpo -- -- Garbage time on the wrong end of it tonight. Nothing to report. The Stats: He had 1 turnover and 1 foul in 3 minutes. He was a +0.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: The Laker offense went dry in third as they went 1-8 from three and had 5 more turnovers in that quarter. It was a 6-minute stretch where they didn’t score a field goal, and they trailed by 13 heading into the fourth. They couldn’t dig themselves out of that hole. The Lakers would score just 16 in the third quarter. Bringing Gasol in during the third probably would help loosen things up.

Key Substitution: I think you have to look at that -26 from Kuzma. It’s not that he was that bad tonight, but we pull him out early when Dennis is on the floor so that we can bring him back when Dennis sits. Those minutes where Dennis sits are problematic against good defensive teams. When LeBron gets back, hopefully, we have one of Schröder or LeBron on the floor most of the time.

Key Stats: Obviously the 25-15 turnover disparity was the difference. But 20 second-chance points on 15 offensive boards. Sometimes this game is all about possessions. We gave them 11 more offensive boards and 10 more turnovers, so we didn’t win that battle.

Coach’s Challenge: With 4:28 left, the Knicks challenged a foul on Wes who drew contact at the three line. Clearly, it was a foul, the question was whether it should have been a shooting foul. It was ruled to not be a shooting foul. We’d come up empty on that trip.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Great write-up, rough game.

The Knicks really executed tonight. As you mentioned, I'm hoping Drum is more of an offensive rebounding force when our stars are back.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB

Unfortunately, I missed (other than listening) most of the good...I witnessed essentially the bad, around the mid-3rd quarter on.

Just horrible with the turnovers. I just dont get why this team cannot stop that bleeding...theyve been doing this with, or without, LBJ. Vog said they are 27th in connection with turnovers...thats just ugly.

I feared this may happen, as Knicks have a good defense and like to be physical. Lakers got punched pretty good in this one, after doing all the punching on Saturday. Beaten by the same type of basketball they like to use - defense, rebounds. This despite the Lakers outscoring with the 3 with a +21.

Oh well, hopefully they get tommorow's game. They need it.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

If any good news...Mavs L; and Curry currently going super nova on the Nugs
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Kuz wasn't ready to come back yet. -26 is gross.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Maybe Kuz wasn't ready to come back yet. -26 is gross.

That's what I was wondering. Maybe his miraculous 1-game recovery wasn't actually complete. Le Sigh'

Thanks DB
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject:

My wife is a Knicks fan and I have watched almost all of their games. Although I thought the Lakers would win I wasn't surprised that they didn't. Regarding the Knicks:

1. If you let Randle get the ball where he feels comfortable he can be a beast. The teams that give him trouble pressure the ball so that when he gets the ball it's not at one of his preferred spots and he is doubled as soon as he makes a move. If Randle feels comfortable when he gets the ball even if he is guarded by an elite defender he can get off a difficult contested shot and make a lot of them.

2. The Knicks guards, Burks, Bullard, and Elfrid Payton are very good perimeter defenders.

3. Burks usually shoots much better than last night, is a good 4th quarter scorer, and is shooting 40% for 3's.

4. When Bullard was a Laker he had back problems and didn't show us much. He has been shooting 40% on threes this season and has been very effective for the Knicks.

5. Elfrid Payton when healthy is a quality point guard. He is not a good 3 point shooter.

6. Nerlens Noel and Taj Gibson "show up" every night and do a good job protecting the paint.

7. IMHO If the Lakers had Burks or Bullard I would play both of them over Caruso, THT (one of my favorites), and Mclemore.

With Lebron and Davis even if the Knicks were playing well I wouldn't give them a chance. With the current rosters anything could happen.

Berto
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject:

More of the same.

If the Lakers have a high number of made three's and a low number of turnovers, they win.

If the Lakers have a low number of made three's and / or a high number of turnovers, they lose.

It is as simple as that.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

Kuzma and Harrell were complete non factors. Sigh.

Thanks, DB
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject:

outplayed
Knicks crashed the glass, we didn't and they neutralized AD2
turnovers

brush it off, move on
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

delaluz wrote:
My wife is a Knicks fan and I have watched almost all of their games. Although I thought the Lakers would win I wasn't surprised that they didn't. Regarding the Knicks:

1. If you let Randle get the ball where he feels comfortable he can be a beast. The teams that give him trouble pressure the ball so that when he gets the ball it's not at one of his preferred spots and he is doubled as soon as he makes a move. If Randle feels comfortable when he gets the ball even if he is guarded by an elite defender he can get off a difficult contested shot and make a lot of them.

2. The Knicks guards, Burks, Bullard, and Elfrid Payton are very good perimeter defenders.

3. Burks usually shoots much better than last night, is a good 4th quarter scorer, and is shooting 40% for 3's.

4. When Bullard was a Laker he had back problems and didn't show us much. He has been shooting 40% on threes this season and has been very effective for the Knicks.

5. Elfrid Payton when healthy is a quality point guard. He is not a good 3 point shooter.

6. Nerlens Noel and Taj Gibson "show up" every night and do a good job protecting the paint.

7. IMHO If the Lakers had Burks or Bullard I would play both of them over Caruso, THT (one of my favorites), and Mclemore.

With Lebron and Davis even if the Knicks were playing well I wouldn't give them a chance. With the current rosters anything could happen.

Yeah, I'm not even sure Randle had a layup last night. He might have, but I'm blanking on it. Just seemed a very perimeter oriented game where he was super comfortable all night.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Kuzma
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: