Throwback - Bob Whitsitt torpedoes Pippen to the Lakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Throwback - Bob Whitsitt torpedoes Pippen to the Lakers

The article is about 2000 WCF Game 7 and it's great. You have to register, but it's free.

https://theathletic.com/1848590/2020/06/03/twelve-minutes-in-june-game-seven-nba-playoffs-lakers-blazers-oral-history/

Quote:
Whitsitt: The Lakers were trying to get Pippen, and Pippen wanted to get to the Lakers. I got in the middle and (bleep) it up for the Lakers. … Had they got Pippen, we wouldn’t be talking about a Game 7. They would have won 70 games.

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwback - Bob Whitsitt torpedoes Pippen to the Lakers

Dr. Laker wrote:
The article is about 2000 WCF Game 7 and it's great. You have to register, but it's free.

https://theathletic.com/1848590/2020/06/03/twelve-minutes-in-june-game-seven-nba-playoffs-lakers-blazers-oral-history/

Quote:
Whitsitt: The Lakers were trying to get Pippen, and Pippen wanted to get to the Lakers. I got in the middle and (bleep) it up for the Lakers. … Had they got Pippen, we wouldn’t be talking about a Game 7. They would have won 70 games.

I wonder how the roster would have been different.
Did he block a trade from Houston?
Who would we have given up? Fox? Horry?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwback - Bob Whitsitt torpedoes Pippen to the Lakers

epic_ wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Quote:

Glen Rice
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwback - Bob Whitsitt torpedoes Pippen to the Lakers

Barry Seal wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Quote:

Glen Rice

That would have been nice.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwback - Bob Whitsitt torpedoes Pippen to the Lakers

Dr. Laker wrote:
Had they got Pippen, we wouldn’t be talking about a Game 7. They would have won 70 games.

Lakers won 67 games without him.

Pippen would have retired with 9 rings...
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Throwback - Bob Whitsitt torpedoes Pippen to the Lakers

epic_ wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Quote:

Glen Rice

That would have been nice.

Bingo. Interesting how that would've affected the rest of the roster as Scottie would've been the 2nd highest paid Laker (double Rice's salary). Might've meant Horry, Fisher or Fox had to go.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I love that squad as it was. Plus we wouldn’t have had Scottie’s epic choke in game 7.

Wish we would’ve kept Ho Grant a season later.

Last edited by panamaniac on Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject:

If I remember correctly, the offer from the Lakers side was Rice and Horry. Pippen would have been nice but we really would have had nobody at Power Forward in a time in the early 2000s where PF WAS the strongest position in the league and especially in the west: Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Chris Webber, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
If I remember correctly, the offer from the Lakers side was Rice and Horry. Pippen would have been nice but we really would have had nobody at Power Forward in a time in the early 2000s where PF WAS the strongest position in the league and especially in the west: Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, Chris Webber, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess.

And no "Horry for the win!"
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Even though he was on the wrong side of 30, Pippen’s post-Chicago days were full of disappointment. Needless to say, Pippen wasn’t much of a leader. A HOF player and one of the best #2 guys, but not a leader. I still remember a playoff game against us where he threw a Demarcus Cousins type tantrum and got ejected, embarrassing for any man in his 30’s who’s been in the league for that long and especially one with his accolades He was supposed to be the guy that got two teams over the hump. The things that a young Kobe did to him... I mean, even though Pippen was 34 years old at the time, you would’ve thought that he would’ve made Kobe sweat a little more. It just shows you the greatness of Kobe.

And yes, Trader Bob the Blazers landed former all star after former all star to the point where some former all stars rode the pine (Detlef Schrempf). All in all, a lot of things that took place during this time on the basketball court are precisely why the Lakers are more hated in Portland and Sacramento than any country we ever went to war with. Still today.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

How far past his prime was 1999-2000 Pippen?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Not to mention him refusing to go in to a final possession because Phil drew up a play for Kukoc instead of him in the playoffs with the Bulls. Or trashing Barkley when they were teammates... He definitely had some issues.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Pretty far . . . but he was still better than anyone on the Lakers not named Shaq or Kobe. At that salary, however, we would have needed a minimum salary ring chaser to replace Horry.

Pippen was still a solid defender and playmaker.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Not too much as I considered him the 2nd best player on that stacked Blazers team after Rasheed Wallace. But the matchup with Kobe was fascinating. I thought in that lockout year of 1998-1999 in matchup with the Rockets, Kobe and Pippen played to a standstill as Kobe would get his buckets but Pippen would get him right back in the low post as Pip would handle Kobe down in the block similar to how Rider used to abuse Jones/Kobe. In 1999-2000, that matchup became decidedly in favor of Kobe and that is when the abuse of Scottie Pippen by Kobe Bryant really began
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Pretty far . . . but he was still better than anyone on the Lakers not named Shaq or Kobe. At that salary, however, we would have needed a minimum salary ring chaser to replace Horry.

Agreed, and Unfortunately, not many of those around back in 1999-00. The NBA was a different place, and not really the league that it is today. If we had these mid year buyouts and ring chasers of today back then, the Kobe/Shaq Lakers would’ve had a good chance of extending their dynasty. Imagine are Markieff Morris or (washed up) Blake Griffin on those Lakers.. that’s your starting Power Forward right there. That’s several notches above those guys that we chased/drafted like Samaki Walker or Mark Madsen.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

The nixed Rice for Mcgrady deal at the deadline that year woud have been bigger
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Agreed, and Unfortunately, not many of those around back in 1999-00. The NBA was a different place, and not really the league that it is today. If we had these mid year buyouts and ring chasers of today back then, the Kobe/Shaq Lakers would’ve had a good chance of extending their dynasty. Imagine are Markieff Morris or (washed up) Blake Griffin on those Lakers.. that’s your starting Power Forward right there. That’s several notches above those guys that we chased/drafted like Samaki Walker or Mark Madsen.

What this would have really meant is we would have desperately need Charles Oakley even more than we did back then and we were pretty damn desperate back then. Or we would have been stuck with pretty close to washed AC Green and his beanie on top of his head for another year in 2000-2001.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What this would have really meant is we would have desperately need Charles Oakley even more than we did back then and we were pretty damn desperate back then. Or we would have been stuck with pretty close to washed AC Green and his beanie on top of his head for another year in 2000-2001.

Charles Oakley, Antonio Davis, even Derrick Coleman.. guys who were in their 30’s who would’ve been equivalent to those guys mentioned... but they all still got PAID back then. In today’s climate, those are your ring chasers and mid season buyouts.

Another point that this demonstrates.. I think the overall talent level in the NBA is higher than it’s ever been. Remember how we used to be fascinated with tall combo guard prospects like Corey Hightower because they were quite rare. Nowadays, they are a dime a dozen.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:

I've always mused about a Kobe/McGrady pairing. T-Mac was a bigger, better shooting Kobe, but lacked Kobe's IQ & drive. I envisioned a better version of Jordan/Pippen. The two of them together would've probably driven Shaq out of town after 01-02.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:

Happen to recall the players involved?
That would have been amazing!

What's funny is, the Lakers might have decided to keep Shaq and Tracy and Kobe might have left in 2004.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Nice find! I recall the talk of Pippen to LA to reunite with Phil.

Turned out better. I remember Phil telling the media the Blazers would go as far as Scottie led them, putting him on the spot (alright then Scottie, you want to do it without Mike ). Kobe going around Pippen to Oop to Shaq (Bob Costas on the call) is an all-time NBA moment.

Grant was an excellent return in Rice too.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject:

It worked out for the best.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

He was still good in 99/00, but no longer the Bulls version, even the injured 98 version. He couldn't just land on a team like HOU w/ two other old stars of the past and get out of Rd 1. He tried to blame Chuck. They lost Gm 1 at The Forum by a point after Pip fumbled the ball and Kobe slapped it away and Fish dove on it. HOU papers called him "Ham hands" and when they lost the media and/or fans and all those who were bound to stay in HOU wanted him the be the fall guy. He said of Chuck, "I'm sorry he convinced me to come over here to play with his sorry, fat butt." (his words) With each passing year, Pip was losing a big step. They played the Lakers 3 years in a row and 01 and 02 were 3 game sweeps, and ugly ones. In Gm 2 of 2001, the Blazer team bout lost their minds (the game where Dale Davis elbowed Horry and Porty picked up a bunch of Ts, 4-5 guys).
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

He was still good in 99/00, but no longer the Bulls version, even the injured 98 version. He couldn't just land on a team like HOU w/ two other old stars of the past and get out of Rd 1. He tried to blame Chuck. They lost Gm 1 at The Forum by a point after Pip fumbled the ball and Kobe slapped it away and Fish dove on it. HOU papers called him "Ham hands" and when they lost the media and/or fans and all those who were bound to stay in HOU wanted him the be the fall guy. He said of Chuck, "I'm sorry he convinced me to come over here to play with his sorry, fat butt." (his words) With each passing year, Pip was losing a big step. They played the Lakers 3 years in a row and 01 and 02 were 3 game sweeps, and ugly ones. In Gm 2 of 2001, the Blazer team bout lost their minds (the game where Dale Davis elbowed Horry and Porty picked up a bunch of Ts, 4-5 guys).

How good was he during the Bulls’ last championship run? Why couldn’t the Rockets do better with Hakeem, Barkley, and Pippen?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Not too much as I considered him the 2nd best player on that stacked Blazers team after Rasheed Wallace. But the matchup with Kobe was fascinating. I thought in that lockout year of 1998-1999 in matchup with the Rockets, Kobe and Pippen played to a standstill as Kobe would get his buckets but Pippen would get him right back in the low post as Pip would handle Kobe down in the block similar to how Rider used to abuse Jones/Kobe. In 1999-2000, that matchup became decidedly in favor of Kobe and that is when the abuse of Scottie Pippen by Kobe Bryant really began

Actually Kobe was still prone to foul trouble in the 2000 playoffs when posted up by Pippen and Steven Smith. Once they forced him to the bench, it was just matter of swarming Shaq in the paint and then forcing the role players to beat you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: