Miami HEAT’s Meyers Leonard uses racist slur on Call of Duty livestream
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Miami HEAT’s Meyers Leonard uses racist slur on Call of Duty livestream

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2935325-meyers-leonard-to-be-away-from-heat-indefinitely-after-using-anti-semitic-slur

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject:

live streamers need to go straight to a gulag

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I don't want to defend Leonard here, but I will admit to my ignorance with that particular word. All this time I thought it was a derogatory term for an Irish person. I grew up in Western Canada during the 70"s, then moved to Santa Barbara for high school in the 80's, and it's one of those old school terms that simply wasn't in use like back East, where ethnic groups were more segregated. So the derogatory terms for Irish, Polish, Italian, Jewish,, French, Russian, and other early 1900's immigrant groups were totally foreign to me when I arrived state-side. Pretty much the only slurs very commonly known in BC at the time were for English and Yanks (hopefully Yank hasn't slipped into the deragatory category?) That said, even without knowledge of the actual meaning of the terms, there is no way to not know it was deragatory since you had to learn it was offensive to someone at the point you learned it.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

We are living in sad times. Obviously you would hope he didn’t say it but come on. Outrage culture is a joke. Anyone who would be offended aren’t watching streamers game. I get the heat and the league needing to say something I guess but the outrage is lame. No one cared when trezz called a white guy a white guy with an expletive attached.

Plus I don’t want to hear the comparison of this to the N word. It’s different on so many levels.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I am sooooo freaking tired of people bringing up unrelated (bleep) to defend Leonard.

If you are a gamer and say worse things than that all the time. Cool. You shouldn't. It's racist and bad. And you are just ratting yourself out. It's not something to be proud of.

And what Montrez has said in the past. What Stephen Jackson or Nick Cannon has said in the past. All carries zero weight.

Did Montrez, Jackson, and Cannon hold a gun to Leonard and force him to say that?

When people say bad things they can be held accountable. If others aren't held accountable enough, that is a problem as well that should be addressed too. In no way does it minimize, justify, or rationalize others saying bad things. It's a bs whataboutism.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
We are living in sad times. Obviously you would hope he didn’t say it but come on. Outrage culture is a joke. Anyone who would be offended aren’t watching streamers game. I get the heat and the league needing to say something I guess but the outrage is lame. No one cared when trezz called a white guy a white guy with an expletive attached.

Plus I don’t want to hear the comparison of this to the N word. It’s different on so many levels.

A perspective from a jewish person:

"So we’ve never met, I hope we can one day soon.
I’m sure you’ve been getting lots of criticism for what you said. Not trying to add to that, I just want to offer some perspective.

I get the sense that you didn’t use that word out of hate, more out of ignorance.
Most likely, you weren’t trying to hurt anyone or even profile Jews in your comment.
That’s what makes it so destructive.
When someone intends to be hateful, it’s usually met with great resistance.
Casual ignorance is harder to combat and has greater reach, especially when you command great influence.
Hate is like a virus. Even accidentally, it can rapidly spread.

I’m down in Miami fairly often. Let’s do a Shabbat dinner with some friends I’ll show you a fun time."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Just out of curiosity, when he was frustrated at getting sniped and he called the sniper an f-ing K*** B****, what do you think his intended meaning with the phrase, what was with purpose of the inclusion of that word? How was he using it as a modifier?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

Maybe racists, closet racists, and unwitting racists are really good people...deep down, inside.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

As a Black man I know the N word is offensive. I know K is offensive to a Jewish person. I know W is offensive to an Itlalian.

I can't speak to what degree of offensiveness K is to Jewish people or W is to Italian people, I can only speak to the degree N is to Black people so in that sense I'm somewhat ignorant.

In terms of degree I look at Meyers and ask, is he really ignorant? To that, the fact that I know it's offensive and won't use the term for any reason I believe Meyers also knows that it leaves his excuse on a weak foundation.

I'm not sure if it's offensive to call a Jewish person a Jew. It's not (bleeped) by the sensors. I'm earnestly asking. Is it offensive to call a Jewish person a Jew?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's offensive to call a Jewish person a Jew. It's not (bleeped) by the sensors. I'm earnestly asking. Is it offensive to call a Jewish person a Jew?

If your tone and intention are innocent then it’s fine. But we can tell when it’s not.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

If your tone and intention are innocent then it’s fine. But we can tell when it’s not.

Lol... so true. Although, sadly enough, when the word "jew" has been used in my life by someone who is not Jewish, it more often than not was said in a derogatory fashion, as if some negative adjective was meant to have been said either immediately before or after saying the word.

As for the "K" word, its not used that often in today's society outside people who are directly exposed to hate groups. If you are familiar with it, while there are exceptions, odds are you are either Jewish, old or associate with people who are anti-semtic (saying nothing about yourself). I don't like to over generalize, but this has often been the case in my experience these days.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Most people I meet don’t know or can’t tell that I’m Jewish (I guess because I don’t look like the caricature you see in anti-Semitic memes) and that has allowed me to witness all sorts of casual and overt anti-semitism over the years. I am not surprised to learn that people say this stuff on game streams or that there are hordes of people springing up to tell me it’s no big deal and they’re sure he didn’t mean it. Perhaps people that don’t have their antennae up to it don’t realize how much anti-Semitic sentiment is out there and how many Jewish stereotypes are believed and held by people you’d assume are your allies.

I don’t know much about Meyers Leonard (other than that he sucks and got played off the floor in the Finals) but he knew what he was saying and if you think this is the only time he has spoken that way you’re a fool. If your argument is that he didn’t mean it in a hateful way, I would suggest that not being able to get through a video game without calling someone a kike eliminates the benefit of the doubt. If Meyers doesn’t want people to think he’s a bigot he ought to stop talking like one. Then again, I think it’s pretty clear it’s not really “outrage culture” that rubs people the wrong way about the tragedy of Meyers Leonard receiving a drop-in-the-bucket fine and a week vacation.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Lol... so true. Although, sadly enough, when the word "jew" has been used in my life by someone who is not Jewish, it more often than not was said in a derogatory fashion, as if some negative adjective was meant to have been said either immediately before or after saying the word.

As for the "K" word, its not used that often in today's society outside people who are directly exposed to hate groups. If you are familiar with it, while there are exceptions, odds are you are either Jewish, old or associate with people who are anti-semtic (saying nothing about yourself). I don't like to over generalize, but this has often been the case in my experience these days.

Yeah, it’s not a term that’s in wide, possibly misunderstood circulation. Gamer and YouTube culture, however, a rife with such terminology because they are the recruiting grounds and platforms for groups spreading hate propaganda.

I found it particularly disheartening that we got the standard, “if you saw how gamers talk” defense. This is what it is really about. Certain cultures and subcultures in our country want to be able to be as misogynistic (don’t forget the other slur he used in conjunction with the one getting aired out) and racist and homophobic (the trifecta of cis hetero male insults) as they want and think oppression is when they can’t act that way with impunity.

That’s where cancel culture rebuttals come from. It’s an attack against disapproval of things for which they have no cogent moral argument.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

Free speech has consequences. Don't want those consequences? Don't say stupid (bleep). Plus, some of his actions in the past have made him a little sus. Sometimes that will add a little more weight into it.

Anyone remember when Kobe called a ref an anti-gay slur 10 years ago? He rightfully took crap, and, thankfully, made an effort to own it and correct himself. He went out of his way to get on people for saying anti-gay stuff going forward. It felt genuine and empathetic.

Leonard has a lot of work to do to make himself a better human because people aren't putting up with that (bleep). We're (bleep) sick of it. That's why you are seeing more and more and louder and louder backlash.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I always go with "Jewish person" as opposed to "Jew".

I also don't say "the whites" or "the Hispanics". I'll say "white people" or "Hispanic people".

I also call people by the pronouns they prefer. It really isn't hard to respect people, even though some pretend it's the toughest thing in the world.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

I also don't say "the whites" or "the Hispanics". I'll say "white people" or "Hispanic people".

I also call people by the pronouns they prefer. It really isn't hard to respect people, even though some pretend it's the toughest thing in the world.

Exactly, and good point on the use of phrasing to indicate proper contextual intent.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Just out of curiosity, when he was frustrated at getting sniped and he called the sniper an f-ing K*** B****, what do you think his intended meaning with the phrase, what was with purpose of the inclusion of that word? How was he using it as a modifier?

obviously he shouldnt have used it, but who was he talking to? A friend? Someone he regularly streams with? A squad member? Heres a bad example.

Nick Mercs/Tim the tatman. NM kills Tim with fat jokes etc. obviously not racist
but could be construed by overweight people as insensitive. Wheres the outrage.

I get the need for public apology and fines but TBH it wasnt offensive to me or my jewish wife.

Another analogy. My uncle died of aids about 15yrs ago. Loved him. gay as a goose. I still use the term homo, dont be gay, etc. People are bored and looking to be outraged.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

In my post I used Jewish people and when talking about Italians I omitted people and said Italians omitting people. I don't know why but the word Jew somehow doesn't sound right.

I know it's not correct but when injecting race by color I capitalize the ethnicity out of respect. e.g Jerry is White, Johnny is Black.

I thank all for the clarification.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:

obviously he shouldnt have used it, but who was he talking to? A friend? Someone he regularly streams with? A squad member? Heres a bad example.

Nick Mercs/Tim the tatman. NM kills Tim with fat jokes etc. obviously not racist

I get the need for public apology and fines but TBH it wasnt offensive to me or my jewish wife.

Another analogy. My uncle died of aids about 15yrs ago. Loved him. gay as a goose. I still use the term homo, dont be gay, etc. People are bored and looking to be outraged.

It seems you're also looking for a reason to purposely avoid respecting people and their wishes as to how they wish to be identified and described.

Meghan Markle's dad is the perfect example of why you can't just say, "I have a black daughter, so I can say what I want." He's a turd and purposely so.

As it was said above, it's not hard to respect people, but some people simply refuse to do so because "'murica" and "freedom."
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It seems you're also looking for a reason to purposely avoid respecting people and their wishes as to how they wish to be identified and described.

Meghan Markle's dad is the perfect example of why you can't just say, "I have a black daughter, so I can say what I want." He's a turd and purposely so.

As it was said above, it's not hard to respect people, but some people simply refuse to do so because "'murica" and "freedom."

Not really. It’s the mass outrage. I get some being outraged but this is ridiculous. Where was this energy when trezz called a guy a pa white boy. Would cracker have made it worse. His tone and context was clearly racial. Lasted a day. I didn’t even know he apologized. It’s like these companies that advertised on racist shows like tucker. The outrage was loud but everyone still bought the products. No one really cares. He could be racist. I mean he didn’t kneel. But this being a national topic is jokes.

He effed up. A lot of people do. That’s where it should end.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting to notice the conversation has changed recently. Before BLM it was "there is no such thing as systemic racism".
Now the new thing is, "black people are just as racist as anybody else, so lets stop treating racism like a big deal".

Trez has NOTHING to do with what Leonard said.

All this work to cater to offenders. And to minimize offenses. When the obvious answer is. People are allowed to say whatever they want to say. And the rest of society is allowed to react accordingly.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'm starting to notice the conversation has changed recently. Before BLM it was "there is no such thing as systemic racism".
Now the new thing is, "black people are just as racist as anybody else, so lets stop treating racism like a big deal".

Trez has NOTHING to do with what Leonard said.

All this work to cater to offenders. And to minimize offenses. When the obvious answer is. People are allowed to say whatever they want to say. And the rest of society is allowed to react accordingly.

The response does. One is clearly being judged harsher. Both in the heat of competition. Both broadcast. That’s all. Racism exists. Neither one of these guys should be called racist on single actions. The public narrative is wondering if Lenard is.

However overall it shows the imbalance of society. I noted other streamers body shaming other streamers. No one cares except the people who have attempted suicide because they are over weight etc. but no one cares otherwise.

Just like lenards mess up. No one really cares except those who have endured being stigmatized for being Jewish. And that’s where the apology needs to happen. I would guess if people are honest and they have Jewish friends their Jewish friends probably don’t care.

I understand the fines, suspension etc because money is at the root of all of that.

I still don’t know if Myles knew the other player but listening to it it seems like they do which means they both probably gas on each other like this frequently.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

in the heat of competition

Yup, COD stakes are high...that's why there are so many 9 year-olds who have (bleep) my mom last night.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Yup, COD stakes are high...that's why there are so many 9 year-olds who have (bleep) my mom last night.
Da what? I am not comparing the games but lets not get it twisted. Esports is legit. Growing and hyper competitive. I am a casual and get fired up occasionally. i do get loose on my squad with profanity occasionally and reference personal attributes.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
C M B wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Da what? I am not comparing the games but lets not get it twisted. Esports is legit. Growing and hyper competitive. I am a casual and get fired up occasionally. i do get loose on my squad with profanity occasionally and reference personal attributes.

like their jewishness?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: