Meghan Markle interview with Oprah
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'm not sure "feeling sorry for her" is how I'd frame it. I sympathize with her. Mental health issues are real. Family dynamics are tough, especially when money is involved. And the racial prejudice from the royal family, the tabloid media, Piers Morgan, and a large portion of the UK population in general is disgusting, unwarranted, and hateful.

I guess I don't "feel sorry for her" because she has the resources to get help and to improve her situation. I wish she didn't go through what she went through. But I "feel sorry for" people who go through similar tribulation and they don't have any recourse.

I feel sorry for people with financial resources who get aggressive forms of cancer, or get killed by hit & run drivers or run afoul of the ugly side of life.

I don't contribute to their GoFundMe pages like I would for a person without resources, but I very much empathize with them and pray for them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I'm not sure "feeling sorry for her" is how I'd frame it. I sympathize with her. Mental health issues are real. Family dynamics are tough, especially when money is involved. And the racial prejudice from the royal family, the tabloid media, Piers Morgan, and a large portion of the UK population in general is disgusting, unwarranted, and hateful.

I guess I don't "feel sorry for her" because she has the resources to get help and to improve her situation. I wish she didn't go through what she went through. But I "feel sorry for" people who go through similar tribulation and they don't have any recourse.

I feel sorry for people with financial resources who get aggressive forms of cancer, or get killed by hit & run drivers or run afoul of the ugly side of life.

I don't contribute to their GoFundMe pages like I would for a person without resources, but I very much empathize with them and pray for them.

Yeah I get that (although the cancer or car accident analogy doesn’t really hold up to deliberately becoming a princess and still being alive and wealthy and an active participant in your ongoing celebrity).

I guess I should prioritize the racism of the tabloids and media and the royal family more, and the fact that a person can suffer regardless of wealth or position, it’s just hard for me to separate my loathing for the whole royal business and for people actively seeking it out and happily taking it on and then suffering entirely as a result of that decision, even if the cruelty is itself quite despicable. But especially people being all interested in it precisely because she’s a princess.

But she’s a human and I should empathize more regardless of all of that, and I do wish her well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

Megan and Harry's problems are products of a privileged society. Harry admitted to feeling trapped. If he, being born into that realm felt trapped how do any think Megan felt?

I think these two people love each other and left a life that wouldn't allow them the freedom to live and love as they wanted to. Harry wanted to live life the way Megan did before becoming a Royal, free to make choices, not so structured.

Their celebrity status may allow them to finance their way of life but it won't protect them from the hate some will feel. Harry stated it well, his concern is for the safety of his family. They stripped him of his security status. His celebrity status will allow him the means to hire security. I think he should use it. I don't think he should be condemned for using it.

Their world is limited, Archie and his sister will most likely never go to places like Disney World or play freely on playgrounds with other children. I wish them all the happiness they can achieve.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject:

Here's a twitter thread by a feminist journalist I follow (who live-tweeted the interview). Presented for the purposes of providing a wider variety of viewpoints:

Quote:
Victoria Brownworth @VABVOX

THREAD

After hours of fielding racist comments on #HarryandMeghanonOprah, I will now be muting or blocking anyone sending me such missives. But I want to clarify some things, since some folks are spewing disinformation based on their racism and misogyny.
1/x

The British Royal family--particularly Harry's immediate family of the Queen, Prince Phillip, Charles and William--all had the opportunity to embrace Meghan and give her full standing and love. They could have refused to repeat the harm they inflicted on Diana. They did not.
2/x

Meghan Markle is a smart, accomplished, elegant, philanthropic activist for important causes. She is a feminist and anti-racist activist. She is an obviously warm and gentle person. She was demonized to the point of suicidal ideation while she was pregnant by Harry's family.
3/x

This is the 21st century. We should #AbolishTheMonarchy. Americans did that 244yrs ago. But irrespective of that, Harry's own father saw to it that his son had his security detail cancelled & that his daughter-in-law and grandson had no security. That is cruel AND dangerous.
4/x

That there was EVER a discussion of Archie's skin color is morally repugnant. That this played a role in Archie being denied his birthright is grotesquely racist. If you are American and supporting anyone but Meghan in this story, ask yourself why.

This is more in our search for racial justice. #MeghanMarkle is a Black American who has been demonized and attacked by one of the world's most powerful families and their bespoke press because she is a Black woman. There is only one side here: Racial rectitude. Be on it.

6/6

link
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject:

Ok, i have thought about it overnight and into this morning. And I admit I met my absolute loathing of the absolute grift that royalty is, combined with my cynicism about tabloid celebrity culture and the people who seek that fame corrupt my moral views on sexism racism and human empathy.

One of my employees was playing a Britney Spears song and it kind of sank in how regardless of why and how people become famous, and whether or not we feel they “deserve” that status, we participate in, enjoy, watch silently, or ignore the cruel tearing down of celebrities for entertainment, and how it almost always seems to be women or minorities (or both) who get it the worst.

And maybe that’s a useful aspect of celebrity, to bring outsized versions of regular life in front of us for us to contemplate and to realize if it happens to these folks, that’s not ok because other people have it worse, and it should remind us of them, and the pervasive behavior.

So I apologize to the board (especially the women and people of color, to Harry and Meghan, and to Britney too. Not because they need to care about my thoughts, but because I need to use the same space and energy to account for bad behavior. I still can’t stand royalty and trashy tabloid celebrities, but I don’t have to let my privilege and upbringing get in the way of my humanity and empathy and desire to be a better person.

/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yeah I get that (although the cancer or car accident analogy doesn’t really hold up to deliberately becoming a princess and still being alive and wealthy and an active participant in your ongoing celebrity).

I guess I should prioritize the racism of the tabloids and media and the royal family more, and the fact that a person can suffer regardless of wealth or position, it’s just hard for me to separate my loathing for the whole royal business and for people actively seeking it out and happily taking it on and then suffering entirely as a result of that decision, even if the cruelty is itself quite despicable. But especially people being all interested in it precisely because she’s a princess.

But she’s a human and I should empathize more regardless of all of that, and I do wish her well.

Mistakes are a part of learning. How do you feel about someone who realized their mistake and took steps to correct it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Omar, for being willing to self-reflect and reassess.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

I credit Oprah Winfrey & Meghan Markle for--quite possibly--dealing a death-blow to the British Monarchy.

Good riddance to such a lame institution.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
I credit Oprah Winfrey & Meghan Markle for--quite possibly--dealing a death-blow to the British Monarchy.

More appropriately - the monarchy's wounds are self-inflicted.

As my wife, the HR Diva says:

"We don't fire people, they fire themselves."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:

Sadly, I’m not sure that’s going to happen any more than beating trump is going to curb racism. The primary people who the monarchy exists to pleasure aren’t all that interested in anti racism or modern feminism. It will die when the generations of men and women who find such things to honor their history change.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

the situation in two pictures
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

As a first generation American of British parents, I have a bit of perspective that most Americans don't. People from outside of Britain aren't completely aware of just how deep and pervasive the dynamic of the Royals are to Britain. The rabidity of the public and the press is engrossing and merciless on all things Royal to much of the land. I don't think people realize the extent of disfunction and disdain that exists within the royal family.

I know it is easy to think Meghan was just some semi-successful American celebrity swept up by the fantasy of becoming a princess who got in over her head and then shunned it because it was inconvenient to her. But from I have seen, that's not really the case. Harry, more so than even his brother William from all appearances, is all too aware of how deeply damaged his mother was by that whole royal mess. I don't believe for one second he was bot very clear to her what she was going to face, and she took it on anyway. She's a bright and intelligent woman of substance and she took it on anyway because of her affection for Harry. Harry has always been the one who was much more like his mother in that the trappings of being a Royal were not something he embraced. They clearly tried to give it a shot. But I think the relationship to an American celebrity of color was far too "off the estate" to them, and they handled it poorly, as they did with Diana. That proved too much. I think Meghan and Harry are sincere in their efforts to break away from all that that entails. I don't think they are just trying to reinvent their own brand of celebrity and opportunistic advancement in those efforts. Why would they? Just look at how they get railed on and criticized by people on this side of the Atlantic. They are just getting the same thing all over again by many here in the states (though not in the vastness they faced in Britain). I felt bad for them the moment they made the decision to leave the royal family because I knew that it would mean being seen as the outcasts from Britain and would face a great deal of ridicule and contempt in their new home here, and that's pretty much what they have received from many.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

william is in it to win it. He just wants that crown and will keep quiet.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
As a first generation American of British parents, I have a bit of perspective that most Americans don't. People from outside of Britain aren't completely aware of just how deep and pervasive the dynamic of the Royals are to Britain. The rabidity of the public and the press is engrossing and merciless on all things Royal to much of the land. I don't think people realize the extent of disfunction and disdain that exists within the royal family.

I know it is easy to think Meghan was just some semi-successful American celebrity swept up by the fantasy of becoming a princess who got in over her head and then shunned it because it was inconvenient to her. But from I have seen, that's not really the case. Harry, more so than even his brother William from all appearances, is all too aware of how deeply damaged his mother was by that whole royal mess. I don't believe for one second he was bot very clear to her what she was going to face, and she took it on anyway. She's a bright and intelligent woman of substance and she took it on anyway because of her affection for Harry. Harry has always been the one who was much more like his mother in that the trappings of being a Royal were not something he embraced. They clearly tried to give it a shot. But I think the relationship to an American celebrity of color was far too "off the estate" to them, and they handled it poorly, as they did with Diana. That proved too much. I think Meghan and Harry are sincere in their efforts to break away from all that that entails. I don't think they are just trying to reinvent their own brand of celebrity and opportunistic advancement in those efforts. Why would they? Just look at how they get railed on and criticized by people on this side of the Atlantic. They are just getting the same thing all over again by many here in the states (though not in the vastness they faced in Britain). I felt bad for them the moment they made the decision to leave the royal family because I knew that it would mean being seen as the outcasts from Britain and would face a great deal of ridicule and contempt in their new home here, and that's pretty much what they have received from many.

I never cared or really dug into the royal family but even as a kid, I always thought Diana like she didn't want to be there in her public appearances. I always thought she looked sad.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Monarchies are outdated and lame. If Meghan Markle wants to break out from a (bleep) situation, then I applaud her. If she ends up profiting from it, which she likely will, I won't be contributing to that machine. However, that's her right as well. Some entity will throw money Meghan and Harry and try to milk the narrative for all its fruits. That's the system we live in. Bottom line, I'm happy for her for leaving behind a bad situation.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Do any of the Royal Family have a job? It's my understanding they're granted monies from taxes. I don't think any really work.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Do any of the Royal Family have a job? It's my understanding they're granted monies from taxes. I don't think any really work.

They get a certain amount of public money for performing public functions, and the rest comes from their 88 Billion dollar nest egg.
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Admittedly, I have not watched the interview. But I have YouTubed some of the aftermath and scrolled through twitter, and other such forums. I have seen "racism" tossed out. Specifically, the royal family and the British media acted with racism. Racism is so pernicious a term. So bereft of all that is good. Such charges should require ample evidence. Increasingly today, there has been an increase in the levying of this charge devoid of the concomitant research, facts, or evidence necessary for its sustainability. At this juncture it's not clear to me that either the British media or royal family acted racistly.

As to the media, I cannot glean anything. Perhaps they dislike her. Why? I don''t know. Maybe because she had been previously divorced. Maybe because she was American--those two traits finding ground with Meghan's quasi-predecessor Wallis Simpson nearly a century ago. Maybe because she dared to climb the ranks of the British elite aristocracy in derogation of her lowly birth; echoing sentiments of the Great Gatsby. Or Maybe they saw her as a flimsy opportunist who captured a prince in the waning years of her C-list celebrity status. Whatever the reason, and there may be a reason, it's not clear to me that race constitutes the reason. Now, if studies show the British Media collectively tends to act with disparate repugnance towards other black celebrities and leaders, then that may be of some consequence. Otherwise, it appears that we have enabled a conclusion apart from material evidence or, indeed, regardless of evidence. Similarly, having been raised in America, I am no expert on the collective view of Racism in Britain as juxtaposed to America. It may not be a conclusion I could so quickly draw even if I could draw a conclusion.

As to the Royal family, their actions ring from anywhere from guileless ignorance to overt racism as to the "skin color" comment and with neutrality as to the security issue. Depending on how the skin color comment was said, its not clear that it was racist--certainly ignorant though. The question could have genuinely been said out inbred pampered curiosity; what skin color arises when a mixed race woman has a baby with a white man. An ignorant question, yes. Racist, not clear. I would agree that the comment is racist if was said with the disparaging precipice of invidious racism.

Next, as to security issue predicated on a refusal to name Archie a prince. Under well established precepts extending more than 100 years, Archie is not entitled to be named a prince at this time. He will be entitled to said moniker when Charles takes the crown. That's not racism, its fact. Now, if King Charles alters the rules such that Archie would still not acquire said moniker, then that still wouldn't be plausible evidence of racism unless the deviation originated from the desire to strip Archie of said title. Yet, we know that the talks to reduce the size of the monarchy--which would encompass eliminating many of these monikers--preexisted Archie.

In any case, the title is purportedly necessary for security which is really what Meghan aims for. Yet, it is not clear that they should be entitled to security. Since 2011, King Andrews' daughters have paid for their own security. Ordinarily, Meghan and Harry would received public funds from the Crown Estate (which could have been used to pay for security), but they renounced said monies. Moreover, they moved to Canada and thereafter decided to reside in the States.

So, at the end of the day, I will continue to follow the aftermath of the ordeal, although I have generally avoided the royal family and their cohort. And still need to watch the original interview. I just see so much labeling of "racism" committed by the British Media and royal family, neither of which appear to have strong bases in evidence. But I'm interested in hearing competing views.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
So, at the end of the day, I will continue to follow the aftermath of the ordeal, although I have generally avoided the royal family and their cohort. And still need to watch the original interview. I just see so much labeling of "racism" committed by the British Media and royal family, neither of which appear to have strong bases in evidence. But I'm interested in hearing competing views.

Quote:
For people who may not be as familiar with the "tabloids" in the UK, they are disgustingly racist across the board. Here's a very demonstrative and simple example:

Two different 18-year-olds who play for the same major football club and were paid well as highly regarded major prospects each bought £2,000,000 homes in the same year, but one was white and the other was black. Look at how differently they were treated by the Daily Mail, right in the headlines.

These papers are called "tabloids" because they are vile tabloids, but they are also major newspapers who dominate circulation. The most broadly circulated newspaper of record, which people from many other countries would recognize as an actual newspaper, has just 26% the circulation of the most-circulated tabloid, and 10% the circulation of the top three papers, all tabloids, combined.

Took this from a post from this thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/television/comments/m0ld4m/meghan_markle_and_prince_harry_interview_with/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject:

The standard you are operating on Corey is pretty ridiculous. Unless a person specifically says I hate another person because of their skin color. You can't be convinced they are being racist.

The racism has to be overt to such a cartoonish and unrealistic degree, I could use the same arguments to excuse a large portion of discrimination (racial, religious, cultural, sex, gender, sexual orientation, etc) around the world, throughout history.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject:

Sorry, that reminds me of the posts from people defending Trump and asserting there was no "proof" he was racist. We would list dozens and dozens of examples dating back decades. And the people who were "skeptical" about calling Trump racist weren't moved off their position one iota in the face of evidence. Someone who was smart enough to write that very well presented post is someone who is also smart enough to do 5-minute's worth of Googling to discover the depth of racism in Britain, the Monarchy and the British tabloids.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

You guys don’t get it, they weren’t worried about the skin color of the baby being too dark because they’re racist, it’s because, uh, give me a minute here... still thinking, uh... yeah, I got nothing.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You guys don’t get it, they weren’t worried about the skin color of the baby being too dark because they’re racist, it’s because, uh, give me a minute here... still thinking, uh... yeah, I got nothing.

Racism doesn't only exist here in America, it's worldwide. I'm of thought it's more tribalism, although I guess you could call that racism.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Is it racist to play dumb about apparent racism?

Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Is it racist to play dumb about apparent racism?

IMO, yes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: