most memorable foodie moments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: most memorable foodie moments

dining moments where the food itself became a distinct memory

for me...
Chilean Sea Bass at Ooka Hibachi -never cared for fish before this but gave this menu item a try on a whim. And now pretty much have to order it if its on a menu. I have since had better but still the most memorable

banana nut muffins at Eggs & I: never was a big fan of muffins but wow these are amazing and is a must stop whenever Im in Vegas

Ribeye at Mastros: at the time was nicest restaurant I been to with my girlfriend/now wife and was the first time having an expensive steak and it was well worth it.

Whiskey Creamed Corn at envy steak house -before this the only creamed corn I had was out of a can. Definitely eye opening

Brussel Sprouts at BO-beau -My mom never made brussel sprouts as a kid but I heard how it was a popular thing for kids to hate eating so I never bothered eating them as an adult until I gave them a try at Bo-beau... Still to this day best brussel sprouts I ever had.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject:

Ribeye steak at Arthur J in Manhattan Beach is a local favorite.

Döner from Mustafa’s in Berlin, Germany was by far top 3 most memorable/favorite things about Europe. I had it for dinner the first night there and then for breakfast each of the following days since it was the first thing I wanted when I woke up I’m 100% going back there once travel opens back up lol

I also had one of those random hole in the wall “I’ll never find this place again” moments when I’m Venice (same trip). We went to get a slice of pizza and saw 4 cheese pizza coming fresh out of the oven so decided fresh > toppings. And it was the best slice of pizza I’ve ever had.

The first time I had cinnamon roll pancakes and loaded hash browns at The Pan in Gardena was memorable too. That place is awesome for breakfast.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject:

Japan - everything
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

roasted chicken & fried plantain chips while on vacation in the Dominican Republic in 2009

the weather, the food, the women

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

Mexico does it better than the US. I've had culinary experiences at various price levels in Mejico that were deee-vine. One breakfast I remember at some restaurant I don't even know the name of anymore looked like a standard Yank breakfast, eggs/bacon, etc but every thing they served seemed heightened to absurd levels tastewise. There was a fruit platter I remember that I ate every scrap of, thinly sliced banana/melon/grapes/etc and cotto cheese. I couldn't believe how good their fruit was. I was like Paulie in "Commendatori" ("Que bella fruite!") I also had juevos rancheros at a jernt in TJ that was magnificent. I came away realizing that Mexicans know how to make salsa better than they do in NYC, and I'm talkin only TJ salsa. I also think they put the yeyo right INTO the food. They infuse it, somehow.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
roasted chicken & fried plantain chips while on vacation in the Dominican Republic in 2009

the weather, the food, the women

DR is beautiful indeed, had similar meal in a river (in the water) Fula

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

I swam in a river in Bonao.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

I had a pear, prosciutto, and Gorgonzola risotto years ago in Portland that was so good I spent months reverse engineering it. I finally figured out the secret ingredient and it has been a staple of mine for years now.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
I swam in a river in Bonao.

Bonao is such a chill place, kinda reminds me of south east asia, everyone on these mopeds helmetless and the 2 hr siesta at noon... Awesome! I was there for a friend wedding and I joined in those siesta daily lol
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

motoconcho

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I had a pear, prosciutto, and Gorgonzola risotto years ago in Portland that was so good I spent months reverse engineering it. I finally figured out the secret ingredient and it has been a staple of mine for years now.

Was it rice?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Was it rice?

If we're going to play guess the secret ingredient, I'm going to guess pear nectar.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Was it rice?

If we're going to play guess the secret ingredient, I'm going to guess pear nectar.

Lol, no to both, although carnaroli works better than Arborio.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Lol, no to both, although carnaroli works better than Arborio.

This is true. Uncle Ben's comes in a distant third, as I'm sure you found out the hard way sometime during your quest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

It's honestly hard to separate food from experience -- who am I with, what's the occasion, etc. It's also hard to replicate a first experience with something. I can go back to the same place and have the same thing and not be as impressed. Plus even within one restaurant, their individual presentations will follow a bell curve. Most people will get their usual "good," a few people will get a dish where something went wrong, and a few will be one of the lucky ones who happen to land on the top end of the curve.

Certain things stick in my memory, though. And they're random things, too.

Best claim chowder I ever had -- tie between the restaurant at Two Harbors on Catalina Island, and some little roadside place we chanced upon in Chinook, Washington.

Best fish & chips -- my neighbor is a fisherman. Caught some halibut that morning, invited a bunch of us over, and made fish & chips out of it that night. Best fish dish of any kind I ever had.

Best steak -- Cut at the Venetian in Las Vegas. We had a pretty big table. They brought out a slab of Japanese A5 Wagyu, A slab of their top US Snake River prime, and a slab of their American Wagyu. The American Wagyu was the best steak I ever tasted. Had it with a 2004 Vega Sicilia Valbuena, and a 2006 of the same wine.

Best breakfast -- Scallops Benedict at a place called Chach in Provincetown, MA.

Best multi-course meal (non-Asian): Madcap in San Anselmo, CA. (Chef was the guy who made a name for himself by going to Japan for the original version of Iron Chef and winning against their #1 guy.)

Best multi-course meal (Asian): n/Naka, Los Angeles
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
It's honestly hard to separate food from experience -- who am I with, what's the occasion, etc. It's also hard to replicate a first experience with something. I can go back to the same place and have the same thing and not be as impressed. Plus even within one restaurant, their individual presentations will follow a bell curve. Most people will get their usual "good," a few people will get a dish where something went wrong, and a few will be one of the lucky ones who happen to land on the top end of the curve.

Certain things stick in my memory, though. And they're random things, too.

Best claim chowder I ever had -- tie between the restaurant at Two Harbors on Catalina Island, and some little roadside place we chanced upon in Chinook, Washington.

Best fish & chips -- my neighbor is a fisherman. Caught some halibut that morning, invited a bunch of us over, and made fish & chips out of it that night. Best fish dish of any kind I ever had.

Best steak -- Cut at the Venetian in Las Vegas. We had a pretty big table. They brought out a slab of Japanese A5 Wagyu, A slab of their top US Snake River prime, and a slab of their American Wagyu. The American Wagyu was the best steak I ever tasted. Had it with a 2004 Vega Sicilia Valbuena, and a 2006 of the same wine.

Best breakfast -- Scallops Benedict at a place called Chach in Provincetown, MA.

Best multi-course meal (non-Asian): Madcap in San Anselmo, CA. (Chef was the guy who made a name for himself by going to Japan for the original version of Iron Chef and winning against their #1 guy.)

Best multi-course meal (Asian): n/Naka, Los Angeles

Did you ever go to Carnevino at Palazzo? Never bothered going to Cut in Las Vegas since there are locations in Beverly Hills. SW at Wynn is good.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Ive been my share of high end steakhouses in Vegas and I honestly cant rank the steaks apart... (once all the steaks are top of the line quality, dry aged beef and cooked by talented chefs it becomes very hard for one steak to somehow be head and shoulders above another)
at that point the steakhouses separate themselves by the other menu items, service, ambiance, etc.
with that said, there was a wild mushroom demi glace that really elevated my steak but I cant recall which restaurant I had it at
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I came away realizing that Mexicans know how to make salsa better than they do in NYC, and I'm talkin only TJ salsa.

New Yoak Ciityy??

Get a rope.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Alot of my favorite places just aren't around anymore.

Heywood Grilled Cheese Shop made the best grilled cheese I've ever had.

Casa Cocina Y Cantina had the best salsa I've ever had.

And Il Mare made a chicken fettuccine alfredo that was better than any italian food available downtown nowadays.

Even Burgerlords in Chinatown went vegan. Sigh. That was my favorite burger place.

At least Eggslut is still going strong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: