LAKERS -at- JAZZ – 2-24-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 38423
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- JAZZ – 2-24-21 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

As mentioned, I couldn’t cover tonight’s game. I don’t think they stood a chance anyway with the current state of things. Hopefully, the Jazz peak early this season, but they look good.

Post your thoughts here...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 3223

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject:

1. Matthews, KCP, AC and Gasol need to go
2. Get a third star

The end
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 9371

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject:

The first quarter was entertaining. There is that.

DB - nothing really to analyze to be honest. If we want to really, really simplify it: The 3 shooting put the Lakers in a hole, and kept them there. They gave up 22 3's, and could only muster 8. When the Jazz extended their lead in the second quarter it was basically a 3 point contest between the two teams, and the Jazz gobbled that up easily. They had guys waltzing down the floor and with a guy in their face stroking in 3's like they were nothing. Meanwhile, Lakers missed open 3, after open 3.

Missing AD and DS means the Lakers just dont have the fire power to keep themselves in a game when their 3 isnt falling. Jazz are able to do that (Mitchell couldnt buy a bucket in first half) as they have a number of guys just feeling it right now from 3. As for the Lakers, when these games occur in the past, what they have done is start having AD attack on offense and on defense have him cover for others when extending defenders to chase guys off the 3 line. We dont have that right now, and are getting blitzed by good teams.

I have a feeling with DS Lakers will go on a mini win streak. Hoping it starts this Friday. Also, will not object to any help Pelinka can find out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Mar 2009
Posts: 4556

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Basically we have no offense when Lebron is not on the court.

Feels like those times when we only had Kobe and the rest were just fillers (yeah including unmotivated Odom).

Our offense is so stagnant. Why does it feel so different from last year's offense? So frustrating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 5136

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:42 am    Post subject:

Look forward to when you return, DB

Team seemed to play very tired, hence their defense (whether they were trying to play a zone or man-to-man, they were at least two steps behind. In addition, they seem to have forgotten their defensive schemes as they were not playing on a string.

On offense, when Lebron had the ball - everybody stopped moving and watched and watched and watched and watched

When they weren't playing defense, they got hustled getting rebounds. Numberous times there were three Lakers in the rebounder position with one Jazz player - the Jazz player got the ball.

One would think that since they don't have anybody (outside of Lebron) that create, they would into their motion offense (or at least move 2-3 stems in any direction

AC tried hard but if he is the only person that is moving and expending energy playing defense, unless everybody is playing on a string - nobody will look good

THT will hopefully get more PT because he can create his own shot. We can live with him learning on the fly in preparation for the playoffs

Matthews - if he is not playing shutdown D and not making any shots, let him play in garbage time

KCP - same as Matthews

Harrell does battle but he seems to be pacing himself
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
PenG_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Feb 2020
Posts: 3862

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:

It's amazing that Lebron had four assists through three quarters on a night when he wasn't looking to score. I penciled in a loss before tipoff, but you'd think we could muster some shot making in a game like this. Pretty disappointed, but I've been vocal on these forums that we could realistically lose every game leading up to the All-star break.

Our offense should be the only focus right now. Even with AD and DS, it was a 22nd ranked offense for an entire month.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 54697

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers 89
Jazz 114

Lakers started off the game well. A lot of good defensive sequences and they were getting wide open good looks from 3. Unfortunately they simply were unable to hit those 3s. From my perspective that is when they lost the game. They needed those 3s to drop and get some kind of 8-10 point lead in that 1st Q, as they had the Jazz only to 24 points and were playing very good defense. But they only were able to put 23 points themselves. Then, the usual Jazz onslaught was to come, and the Lakers had no response. Once they fell 8-10 behind, you knew it was over.

Starters - Gasol-Kieff-Bron-KCP-THT

Bron With AD out, we need Bron to shift into a mode he would have been able to play 10 years ago. Now, in his 18th year, in the league. Coming off a championship, hard to accomplish that. He did begin this game with some good defensive intensity and we saw no 3 ball love fest in that 1st Q. So LA came out and took the lead even at one point at 17-16. Bron was getting into the paint and drawing some attention and looking for the openings. Unfortunately the shots he drew for others, just did not convert. As the game went on, Lakers kind of knew they were in over their head and went with some experimenting. I did like the start of this game, and how Bron attacked the Jazz, and how we defended the Jazz without AD. LeBron finished the game with 19 points, 4 assists, 4 boards and was a -20.

THT First start of the season. He looked really good in his first stint, and then faded as the game went on. Early had a nice few drives that led to layups inside. Interesting move by Frank, probably seeing that without Dennis and AD, Lakers needed some shot creating. A lot of good stuff from THT on both sides of the ball in that 1st Q. THT is legit capable to drive and kick against top quality defenses and even get shots off around the basket. As the game went on though, THT just could not make shots or plays, and looked out of sorts quite often, kind of like a young player forcing plays that are not there. THT finished with 8 points on 3-12 shooting, 5 assists, 5 boards and was a -16.


Gasol I thought Marc played very good defense (especially in comparison to Trez) in that 1st half. He was doing an excellent job of clogging up the middle and even rotating out to shooters. If I am Frank I totally see why he trusts Marc on defense, moreso than Trez. Some quality defensive work in that 1st Q. However on offense, he sits out on the 3 point line, and just didn't hit those open 3s. We had them and teams are giving it to him. We ran quite a few Bron/Gasol screen/pops in this game, and Bron found Gasol, but just could not convert those 3s in that important 1st quarter when we could have taken a significant lead. Later on, he did hit some 3s, but the game was already in Jazz's control. Marc finished with 8 points, 1 steal, 1 block and was a -7.

KCP Yet another MIA act. He really has to step up. These games are tough to watch when you create great defensive energy, Bron or the offense creates great looks, and our top shooters miss wide open looks. The 3 ball is our 3rd weapon in the offense (If you consider AD/Bron our top 2) yet we don't shoot 3s particularly well. A lot of this is the regression of KCP since the hot start. In this one, one play really stood out to me. He made a 3 ball attempt that he missed (I believe we were up 1) in the 1st Q, and fell down after the shot. He made no effort to get up and run back on D. And we played 4 on 5 on D, and gave up a 3. He slumped after missing that 3. Just for that play alone, I gave him a thumbsdown. KCP finished with 5 points on 1-5 shooting and was a -7.

Kieff Solid game by Kieff. Right from the get go was assertive on offense. Was looking for his shot and finding spots on the floor where he could be effective. Knocked down an elbow jumper. Went to work in the post as well. Attempted only one corner 3 that he missed, but I thought he was trying to do a lot of good things for us. I think Frank should continue with him as a starter until AD is out, if he can keep playing like this. As he is doing more than just sitting on the 3 point line (which considering we are not shooting the 3 great, should not be our priority). Defensively, Kieff is physical but he does not challenge shots the way you would want around the rim. Kieff finished with 12 points, 9 boards and was a -9.

BENCH (Will just do the regular rotation guys)


Caruso
Alex has found a niche for himself with the Lakers that he would not with many other teams. In Bron led lneups, he does not have to be the PG. When we had Rondo, same thing. Now, we're sort of seeing the weaknesses a bit. Without Bron lineups, and no Rondo, we're relying on Alex's decision making and PG skill more and he is not capable to really lead a 2nd unit. He's more of a Fisher type floor general (playing a different game than Fish). So we probably should be starting him, and allowing THT to lead the bench unit. Not sure what the idea is here. He made his first drive of the basket, but after that missed all his shots. Not a good game, and he continues to struggle with being the 2nd units primary PG. Alex finished with 3 points on 1-8 shooting and was a -11.

Trez He is usually good for a lot of scores in the paint. He is a machine in there at creating shots for himself or taking them. Very potent. That 2nd unit of Trez/Kuz/Wes/Caruso + 1 starter, struggled on D. Could be that Utah's bench has 2 attack guards like Clarkson and Conley and they are on fire right now, but at the same time, it looked like we lost our defensive effectiveness once Gasol and a few starters sat, and Trez/Kuz and the bench came on, Trez was active on O, and aggressive around the basket. Some put backs and a few typical Trez style post scores. Not happy about his D in the paint, Weak challenging and effort. Trez finished with 16 points, 6 boards and was a -15.

Kuz Would like a bit more from Kuz. This is a situation where we clearly need some offense especially when Bron sits. Was not really aggressive or looking for his shot, but at the same time when AD is there and Dennis, you probably want Kuz playing this way. One thing we used to get from Kuz was 20 points a game anytime Bron or AD were out. Not this year. Perhaps he's just content playing his role now. However we need him to step up the aggression a bit. Our 2nd most aggressive player can not be THT, or Kieff it needs to be Kuz in a situation where AD and Dennis are out. Kuz finished the game with 5 points on 2-7 shooting, 7 rebounds, 2 steals and was a -7.

Wesley Really frustrating to watch Wesley and KCP right now. They are our designated shooters who defend, only neither is making their open looks nor playing good enough defense. Wesley had a tall task having to defend Mitchell, but still, he allowed Mitchell some drives that were just weak defense. Wesley finished with 3 points 1-4 shooting and was a -18 in just 17 minutes.

Dudley Got some quality important minutes in this game, came in late 1st. when we run those Dudley/KCP or Wes/Caruso lineups that's 3 guys who are a non-factor on offense. Very easy to defend those guys if you don't have elite creator around them. Dudley finished with 3 points and was a -14.

(There were garbage time minutes for McKinnie, Cacok, and Kostas).


Key stat of the night:
Lakers shot 8-33 from 3 point line,
Jazz shot 22-48.
That is a 42 point Jazz favor from 3. Without AD inside, or Bron really being in playoff mode, we can not win against teams playing like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 15620

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Markieff Morris was insightful during his postgame remarks, his mood full of both frustration and fortitude: "We see the Jazz, we know they beat our ass tonight. But in the playoffs it’s a different story."

_________________
Klutch Angeles Lakers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 38423
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:


THT First start of the season. He looked really good in his first stint, and then faded as the game went on. Early had a nice few drives that led to layups inside. Interesting move by Frank, probably seeing that without Dennis and AD, Lakers needed some shot creating. A lot of good stuff from THT on both sides of the ball in that 1st Q. THT is legit capable to drive and kick against top quality defenses and even get shots off around the basket. As the game went on though, THT just could not make shots or plays, and looked out of sorts quite often, kind of like a young player forcing plays that are not there. THT finished with 8 points on 3-12 shooting, 5 assists, 5 boards and was a -16.



The stretch where Gobert was in with Trezz allowed the Jazz to pack the paint. Gasol pulled him out more in that first stint which I think made it easier for THT. Gobert's a freak. You won't finish around him easily and if you don't have a middle game, which THT doesn't really show, then it's an issue and I think that started causing problems for THT.


Quote:

Caruso
Alex has found a niche for himself with the Lakers that he would not with many other teams. In Bron led lneups, he does not have to be the PG. When we had Rondo, same thing. Now, we're sort of seeing the weaknesses a bit. Without Bron lineups, and no Rondo, we're relying on Alex's decision making and PG skill more and he is not capable to really lead a 2nd unit. He's more of a Fisher type floor general (playing a different game than Fish). So we probably should be starting him, and allowing THT to lead the bench unit. Not sure what the idea is here. He made his first drive of the basket, but after that missed all his shots. Not a good game, and he continues to struggle with being the 2nd units primary PG. Alex finished with 3 points on 1-8 shooting and was a -11.


Yeah, he's out of his element right now and it's exposing his limitations. I mentioned a couple games back of running Dudley a little with some of these second units to help organize them intelligently. I'm not sure if that's what Vogel is hoping AC would do in these situations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 5136

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
THT First start of the season. He looked really good in his first stint, and then faded as the game went on. Early had a nice few drives that led to layups inside. Interesting move by Frank, probably seeing that without Dennis and AD, Lakers needed some shot creating. A lot of good stuff from THT on both sides of the ball in that 1st Q. THT is legit capable to drive and kick against top quality defenses and even get shots off around the basket. As the game went on though, THT just could not make shots or plays, and looked out of sorts quite often, kind of like a young player forcing plays that are not there. THT finished with 8 points on 3-12 shooting, 5 assists, 5 boards and was a -16.
The stretch where Gobert was in with Trezz allowed the Jazz to pack the paint. Gasol pulled him out more in that first stint which I think made it easier for THT. Gobert's a freak. You won't finish around him easily and if you don't have a middle game, which THT doesn't really show, then it's an issue and I think that started causing problems for THT.
Quote:
Caruso Alex has found a niche for himself with the Lakers that he would not with many other teams. In Bron led lneups, he does not have to be the PG. When we had Rondo, same thing. Now, we're sort of seeing the weaknesses a bit. Without Bron lineups, and no Rondo, we're relying on Alex's decision making and PG skill more and he is not capable to really lead a 2nd unit. He's more of a Fisher type floor general (playing a different game than Fish). So we probably should be starting him, and allowing THT to lead the bench unit. Not sure what the idea is here. He made his first drive of the basket, but after that missed all his shots. Not a good game, and he continues to struggle with being the 2nd units primary PG. Alex finished with 3 points on 1-8 shooting and was a -11.
Yeah, he's out of his element right now and it's exposing his limitations. I mentioned a couple games back of running Dudley a little with some of these second units to help organize them intelligently. I'm not sure if that's what Vogel is hoping AC would do in these situations.
Agree with all the points made

I have noted what has been reported (https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2021-02-25/lakers-worn-out-shooting-woes-three-point) that the Lakers are tired - hence the needed energy to play defense and "short-arming" 3pt shots are starting/have become trends that need to be monitored

Despite AC not shooting well or able to create his own shots, our offense has been awful with often players just watching Lebron in ISO

On the other hand, Matthews making numerious miscues on defense and not making shots doesn't have the excuse of being mentally or physically tired

KCP, on the other hand, needs to have his minutes limited until after the ASG as he appears to be just totally tired

THT is getting into game shape and developing counters since opposing teams are includiong him on their game plans

Will Kuz embrace and/or is ready to be the Third Option, at this time - no.

On defense, the team is not playing D on a string and that is a concern. They can be late but not knowing is a concern. Numerous times, Helping the Helper on the third pass found a wide open shooter

Good thing is that these are the Dog Days of any NBA season and (as Marquis has stated)

“This is the most basketball that I’ve ever played in my life — this season and last season combined. It’s an unbelievable amount of basketball we all are playing,” Morris said. “Mentally it gets draining — especially when you lose.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 54697

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

Kills me that we do not get elite bench play despite having the talent for it. Really poor job this season by us in developing our bench. Having Caruso lead our bench, when we have much better players capable to do it, I hope we figure that out during this time AD sits. It is a great time to get our bench where it needs to be, for the playoffs. Bron is not playing 48 min, so those 10-12 minutes he sits, you gotta run very strong potent offense lineups with Trez, Kuz, Dennis, THT etc. A lot of running, gunning, aggressive fastbteaking active basketball.

If we get Dennis back tonight, hope we manage the game in a way where his best minutes and most usage is when Trez-Kuz-THT are out there with him,

Lets run some lineups that are not only fun, but more capable and skilled. Role player heavy lineups around Bron-AD. But the bench needs to be a team that pushes the tempo, is extremely active and capable to create things,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB