RIP Fry's Electronics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject:

Amazon gonna wipe out everybody else, Can't remember the last time I've been to an electronic store in the last decade plus... only hardware store like Home Depot I still go just cause I like it
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Unfortunately, the demise was self inflicted.
They never leveraged their purchase of Outpost.com to sell online. Their website was a throwback to the 90's. Their inventory system was based on the same old software as well. Also they were late paying their suppliers so eventually they cut them off....they had to go to consignment because nobody was shipping product to them anymore. Without new product coming into stores the shelves eventually emptied, the customers stopped coming in and the employees were let go or turn into part time workers. Eventually there was a bare bones crew running the store, and parts of it was curtained off and electricity was shut off from parts of the store. It was only a matter of time that they were gone. I'm guessing the family who owns the chain saw the writing on the wall in selling B&M electronics and go out while they could, the process was drawn out probably to sell the real estate.

I guess it's been longer than I thought since the last time I went to Fry's.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Amazon gonna wipe out everybody else, Can't remember the last time I've been to an electronic store in the last decade plus... only hardware store like Home Depot I still go just cause I like it

Home improvement stores, auto parts, health care and grocery stores will survive amazon. Everything else where you don't have a critical need for, Amazon probably already put them in bad shape.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

I do a lot of online ordering. I used to use Walmart. I switched to Amazon for the next day delivery option. I've gotten things from house slippers to TV's.

I've had to return 2 purchases. Amazon makes it easy. They email you a printable return label. You repack the item, take it to UPS, and send it back at no cost. When they received the item your account is fully refunded in around 5 days.

I had problems with Amazon at first. The staff was diligent in correcting them. Whenever I have a problem with the product or delivery Amazon is quick to solve it.

You can leave delivery instructions. Mine is to call me when they're on the way and ring my bell for delivery.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

loved frys.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
loved frys.

It was basically a Disneyland for nerds. They sold stuff for tinkerers and there aren't a lot of places left where you can just go in and wander and play around with. The closest store I can think of like Fry's is Microcenter and theres usually only one location compared to multiple Frys in the LA area.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Man this sucks. I haven't been to one in years, ever since I started buying at amazon. I am going to miss the one in San Diego. I really liked its cafeteria, they serve a pretty good tuna sandwich.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Man this sucks. I haven't been to one in years, ever since I started buying at amazon. I am going to miss the one in San Diego. I really liked its cafeteria, they serve a pretty good tuna sandwich.

They shut down the cafeterias a couple years ago.
I knew something was up when a lot of the longtime workers left to work at places like Best Buy.
easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject:

Fry's is the store for people that know how to fix or install their own stuff.

BestBuy and Amazon is for people that buy stuff.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
loved frys.

It was basically a Disneyland for nerds. They sold stuff for tinkerers and there aren't a lot of places left where you can just go in and wander and play around with. The closest store I can think of like Fry's is Microcenter and theres usually only one location compared to multiple Frys in the LA area.

i loved roaming even if the only thing i bought was some trinket they sold near the registers that i didnt even need.

i mean come on. they sold bagged cotton candy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: