Weather in Texas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Since we're having fun at Texas's expense (though it is hardly funny) let's not forget about their zoning structure that allowed for a a fertilizer plant to be located in the immediate proximity of residential housing, schools, and a nursing home, that violently exploded killing and injuring over 150, while damaging or destroying some 150 buildings. What some might not know is that this plant only carried $1M in liability insurance that was not nearly sufficient to cover the damages, and that Texas did not require such a plant to carry liability insurance at all.

Not only that, but when the municipality correctly looked at that and said we need better zoning and fire codes, the state moved quickly to pass legislation banning municipalities from strengthening fire codes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Since we're having fun at Texas's expense (though it is hardly funny) let's not forget about their zoning structure that allowed for a a fertilizer plant to be located in the immediate proximity of residential housing, schools, and a nursing home, that violently exploded killing and injuring over 150, while damaging or destroying some 150 buildings. What some might not know is that this plant only carried $1M in liability insurance that was not nearly sufficient to cover the damages, and that Texas did not require such a plant to carry liability insurance at all.

Not only that, but when the municipality correctly looked at that and said we need better zoning and fire codes, the state moved quickly to pass legislation banning municipalities from strengthening fire codes.

EL Paso learned from the great freeze of 2011 and thus managed to survive reasonably well this time. They had power and water throughout..
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject:

I just read someone froze to death in their home in a recliner. Pardon my stupidity, but I'm thinking this is Texas, not Antarctica! How cold is it right now over there? Thermals underneath, and layers and layers of clothing, blankets over blankets... that doesn't work? Why are people dying?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
I just read someone froze to death in their home in a recliner. Pardon my stupidity, but I'm thinking this is Texas, not Antarctica! How cold is it right now over there? Thermals underneath, and layers and layers of clothing, blankets over blankets... that doesn't work? Why are people dying?

Below about fifty degrees (actually a little higher), the body no longer puts out enough heat to regulate its temperature, even with extra insulating layers. So without an external heat source, core temperature drops even under a pile of blankets. Blankets don’t create warmth, merely insulate it. It’s even harder for older people (people can get mild cases of hypothermia in homes where the temperature is in the low to mid sixties).
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Below about fifty degrees (actually a little higher), the body no longer puts out enough heat to regulate its temperature, even with extra insulating layers. So without an external heat source, core temperature drops even under a pile of blankets. Blankets don’t create warmth, merely insulate it. It’s even harder for older people (people can get mild cases of hypothermia in homes where the temperature is in the low to mid sixties).

Wow! Didn't know it was that cold. Thanks for the explanation.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Texas got below freezing for a week or so, froze pipes, killed the power grid. Guy in the recliner was likely in a forty degree house for days. couldn’t stay active 24/7 and when he wasn’t his core temp dropped like a rock.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

One of the most dangerous lies that the GOP has long exploited is the notion that deregulation is analogous to freedom. It's not, you're simply giving big corporations the agency to carry on their business with complete disregard for the individual or the environment.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
One of the most dangerous lies that the GOP has long exploited is the notion that deregulation is analogous to freedom. It's not, you're simply giving big corporations the agency to carry on their business with complete disregard for the individual or the environment.

Deregulation almost always hurts consumers. And always hurts citizens.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Weather said, "I'll mess witcha."

No well-wishes to Houston from the Dodgers Org.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Blankets don’t create warmth, merely insulate it.

Not to mention flatus. That's why you are forced to lift the blankets up to let it all mix with the air. You guys, I mean. I don't have that issue.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Texas got below freezing for a week or so, froze pipes, killed the power grid. Guy in the recliner was likely in a forty degree house for days. couldn’t stay active 24/7 and when he wasn’t his core temp dropped like a rock.

There was a tweet showing a person who put up an all-weather tent on the floor of their living room by the couches for that reason. They were smart enough and had the means to sleep in a tent rather than on the recliner as the room temp dropped 1-2 degrees every hour. You can also get hypothermia in what in other respects would be water of a comfortable degree if you were stuck floating in it for days (say you had a canteen to last you past the death point for thirst).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

SHUT UP AND DRIBBLE Props to Harden.
Athletes are involving themselves in the problems of today. They should be commended. Another shot at Cancun Cruz

James Harden working with Houston mayor to provide storm aid to city he still calls home

LINK

Quote:
James Harden says he's working to provide food and water for the city of Houston.

"I'm on calls literally every day, all day. ... I call Houston home."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: