We need a center
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
"wait longer than an hour" apparently isn't enough to keep Dwight from panicking I guess.

If he passes up the starting center job of the defending champs for a backup to an all star center, I am not sure I want this guy
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
"wait longer than an hour" apparently isn't enough to keep Dwight from panicking I guess.

If he passes up the starting center job of the defending champs for a backup to an all star center, I am not sure I want this guy

If you feel disrespected by the team you've just helped win a championship with, then it would make sense you don't want to play for them anymore. I'm sure if our FO really prioritized Howard, they wouldn't have made him wait an hour.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject:

I don't see a problem with not re-signing Dwight. Harrell was obviously an upgrade on him

We just need someone that's a bit more athletic than Gasol, plus a good defender, to be an 11th man of sorts. If Dieng gets bought out, he comes to mind
#18 next...
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
I don't see a problem with not re-signing Dwight. Harrell was obviously an upgrade on him

We just need someone that's a bit more athletic than Gasol, plus a good defender, to be an 11th man of sorts. If Dieng gets bought out, he comes to mind

Harrell is an upgrade over Howard on offense and a downgrade on defense. They bring different thing on the table. The thing is with the offensive power we have from Schroeder, Kuzma and THT, I start to think maybe Howard’s defense will be more valuable to this team than Harrell’s offense
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

na trez was signed to be 6th man and with McGee possible gone it was Dwights Starting gig.

same old emotional Dwight

So you're saying Dwight didn't want to start?

Nope, Dwight got emotional and that got best out of him

Committed to sixers when he would have gotten the same min deal and starting gig
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Harrell is an upgrade over Howard on offense and a downgrade on defense. They bring different thing on the table. The thing is with the offensive power we have from Schroeder, Kuzma and THT, I start to think maybe Howard’s defense will be more valuable to this team than Harrell’s offense

Perfectly stated. We won last year with our defensive presence. We have enough offensive firepower. The question I still can't get anyone to answer is why did we disrupt a winning formula? And what was with the strange Instagram post from Dwight telling Laker fans he was "back home where he belongs" with us, and then minutes later, the post was deleted? And in what universe is Marc Gasol a better defensive option (or even offensive) to Dwight Howard?

We have been star struck by Pelinka, and we're still in trust-mode from winning it all last season. But the truth is, somebody in the Laker front office f'd up royally letting McGee/Howard walk out the door. As a Lakers fan, I hope I'm wrong. I hope Marc Gasol prove me wrong. I will pay close attention to him in the next few games...
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

We don’t need another center.
Gasol is most effective when he is a primary creator in the offense, either from the top of the 3pt line, in the post or as a roll man. We don’t maximize his ability when starting with Lebron and Schroeder as the primary and secondary ball handlers. Therefore, we have our backup center good for about 15-20 mpg.
So who starts? i’m going to beat my AD at the 5 drum all year. i know he favors playing the wing, but for crying out loud, the guy is a monster at the defensive and offensive end around the basket. We have plenty of players who work on the perimeter.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Gasol is most effective when he is a primary creator in the offense, either from the top of the 3pt line, in the post or as a roll man. We don’t maximize his ability when starting with Lebron and Schroeder as the primary and secondary ball handlers. Therefore, we have our backup center good for about 15-20 mpg.
So who starts? i’m going to beat my AD at the 5 drum all year. i know he favors playing the wing, but for crying out loud, the guy is a monster at the defensive and offensive end around the basket. We have plenty of players who work on the perimeter.

AD has made it known he doesn't want to play too many minutes at the 5 during the regular season. JAV/Dwight were the reason AD was so fresh for the playoffs. You play him at the 5 and expose him to getting banged up even more during the regular season. There is no harm in finding another legit 7 footer with a bit more mobility than Marc (pretty easy).
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject:

i blame Magic for that Zubac trade. well that should be the understatement of the year.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i blame Magic for that Zubac trade. well that should be the understatement of the year.

its been 2 years. let it go.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Why not start Harrell? He is a center. According to multiple statements it his standing reach not his height that matters. So utilize his skills.

Harrell starts and Davis can still float around the perimeter and be the secondary paint presence. Harrell does what he does best and remains active and hustles for boards, put backs and plays some energetic defense.

Gasol comes off the bench and helps the second unit with his playmaking and captaining the defense of the bench players. Helping Kuzma, THT, Matthews, Morris be a better defensive unit.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Why not start Harrell? He is a center. According to multiple statements it his standing reach not his height that matters. So utilize his skills.

Harrell starts and Davis can still float around the perimeter and be the secondary paint presence. Harrell does what he does best and remains active and hustles for boards, put backs and plays some energetic defense.

Gasol comes off the bench and helps the security be unit with his playmaking and captaining the defense of the bench players. Helping Kuzma, THT, Matthews, Morris be a better defensive unit.

Good idea about Gasol being the playmaker for 2nd unit
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Why not start Harrell? He is a center.
According to multiple statements it his standing reach not his height that matters. So utilize his skills.

Gasol comes off the bench and helps the security be unit with his playmaking and captaining the defense of the bench players. Helping Kuzma, THT, Matthews, Morris be a better defensive unit.

It's a really good idea if it works though because it lets AD play the 4 but I think Harrell is too small to protect the paint. It won't deter teams from driving at him and shooting over him. The thing about Howard is that his contest actually changes the opponent's shot or even blocks it.

I don't think Harrell could guard the elite bigs like Jokic because they would post him up and shoot right over him with ease. In a way, Harrell is not Howard's replacement because Howard would be able to handle Jokic.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Huh??? Gasol is not the priority over Lebron, and we definitely aren't putting Ad at the 5 to suit Gasol's needs. Gasol is a washed up 36 year old bargain bin center that we bought because nothing better was out there. And yes, we do need another center. That's not debatable.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject:

Purple and Gold never gets old.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:

WE DO NOT PLAY AD AT THE 5. WE DO NOT PLAY AD AT THE 5. WE DO NOT PLAY AD AT THE 5.

It seems like an easy solution to our problem but in reality it makes it worse. We need AD to conserve his energy to close out games. If he had to bang body against someone like Jokic all game long then he would be gassed comes 4th quarter. In crunch time, if AD is gassed, then we'd only have Lebron left as a reliable goto option.

Howard was like a perfect tool to use against Jokic and the likes as he handled a lot of the heavy lifting by guarding those guys. Harrell CANNOT guard Jokic otherwise the Clippers would have beaten the Nuggets and might be celebrating a championship right now.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

I don't understand the sense of panic after one game. Clearly the Lakers are a well managed team again, focused on repeating as champions. We have a smart, forward thinking GM, a coach who has proven to be a great tactician, and an experienced leader in Lebron. These guys will know well before any of us if Marc is done and/or whether they need to address the issue at center and they'll find a way to do it.

Ownership is not looking to cheap out and cut costs right now. Our coach values defense. And all players will be held accountable for effort and ability on the court. This isn't the lottery era Lakers where we could all, rightfully, question whether the team was seeing the same things on the court that we could all see plain as day. So the notion that the team is going to go deep into the season with a major liability on the starting five is absurd. If Gasol doesn't pick it up as we get a month or so into the season, they will look for a solution. Panic one game into the season though? While satisfying to the drama seeking amongst us, it is also ridiculous.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

The point of my post was not so much a reflection of panic, but of my ongoing exasperation, if not anger, over Pelinka's failure to re-sign Howard, and to corrupt what was a winning formula.

I can understand letting Rondo go and upgrading at the point, or perhaps adding more scoring punch, or even letting D. Green go.

But we were fine at the center spot. We had rim protection, rebounding, and enough scoring, and we had championship proven healthy players that were very much affordable. Why change that? Why??

THAT is why I'm so pissed right now.

Last edited by troy on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
WE DO NOT PLAY AD AT THE 5. WE DO NOT PLAY AD AT THE 5. WE DO NOT PLAY AD AT THE 5.

It seems like an easy solution to our problem but in reality it makes it worse. We need AD to conserve his energy to close out games. If he had to bang body against someone like Jokic all game long then he would be gassed comes 4th quarter. In crunch time, if AD is gassed, then we'd only have Lebron left as a reliable goto option.

Howard was like a perfect tool to use against Jokic and the likes as he handled a lot of the heavy lifting by guarding those guys. Harrell CANNOT guard Jokic otherwise the Clippers would have beaten the Nuggets and might be celebrating a championship right now.

Jokic is always brought up as the reason to have a AD not play the 5, yet there is only one Jokic in the league. Seems crazy to adjust your starting lineup for the other 29 teams.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Jokic is always brought up as the reason to have a AD not play the 5, yet there is only one Jokic in the league. Seems crazy to adjust your starting lineup for the other 29 teams.

It's more that guys who are 7 footers and pack on much more weight than AD is just asking for nagging injuries. It's not just the skillset of Jokic, but even a guy like Steven Adams, AD doesn't want to bang around with him 35mpg. It was a sound strategy to basically use Jav/Dwight to eat up regular season minutes and when it was win time, they didn't play (and AD was fresher).
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

Gasol comes off the bench and helps the second unit with his playmaking and captaining the defense of the bench players. Helping Kuzma, THT, Matthews, Morris be a better defensive unit.

Not a bad idea.
I know it was just one game, but I don't like how slow (and old) our first unit looked vs the Clips.
I still think Gasol has something to offer, but we need to be faster and more athletic. I actually liked Jav in that starter role. He brought lane running and rim protection. He understood his role and played it well. Dwight, too, understood his role and played it well (big body low post defender and rim protector protecting AD from having to play too much 5 until late in games).
I think Gasol has a role too, but I think it is a as a limited role player, not as a big minutes starter (at this point in his career). And his role is different from Jav's. Gasol is a slow, plodding low post passer and defender, who can step out a shoot a bit. A high IQ guy (but slow and not athletic). I think his role is in the half court when games slow down in the 4th Q. I don't like him as a starter with what I saw Tuesday. We need to play off our D. Long, fast and athletic, run lanes and get easy, high % buckets early from players not named AD/LBJ. Jav gave us that and gave us elite rim protection (which fed into the D setting the tone thing). Kept AD/LBJ fresh for crunch time in games (and the playoffs).

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

someone mentioned bynum as a joke. but, why not? are those decrepit knees are good enough to bang with jokic for 20 minutes or so? use him as a situational big of sorts.

he's not old. his knees are though. man, what a tough break, the kid was GOOD!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject:

i'm gonna wait to see after 15 games. i'm one to overreact as well. might have seen me in the game thread going in on the players. I get emotional driven in the games, but in reality, it was just 1 game. new players and Marc gasol has to adjust to the system, players, defensive scheme. he's a read and react player too; once he gets a good feel for his teammates, he might be amazing, and he is a really good passer, so the ball movement may be really good. I say wait at least 15 games before saying some thing. I don't like the starting line up, but i'm a even wait on that.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Perfectly stated. We won last year with our defensive presence. We have enough offensive firepower. The question I still can't get anyone to answer is why did we disrupt a winning formula? And what was with the strange Instagram post from Dwight telling Laker fans he was "back home where he belongs" with us, and then minutes later, the post was deleted? And in what universe is Marc Gasol a better defensive option (or even offensive) to Dwight Howard?

We have been star struck by Pelinka, and we're still in trust-mode from winning it all last season. But the truth is, somebody in the Laker front office f'd up royally letting McGee/Howard walk out the door. As a Lakers fan, I hope I'm wrong. I hope Marc Gasol prove me wrong. I will pay close attention to him in the next few games...

Troy, your comments are also perfectly stated!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
troy wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Troy, your comments are also perfectly stated!
Yeah, I concur, Troy. I'm concerned, but I'll be very happy if the posters defending Marc as a defender are correct and my concerns are unfounded.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: