Official Giannis Watch Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
If Giannis doesn't sign an extension what do the Bucks do? Just play out the season and lose him for nothing. Or try to trade him and get something for him.

Trading him at this point would be a lost cause. No team is going to give them what he’s worth (which for most teams is pretty much their entire team), and the Bucks aren’t going to just trade him for whatever scraps they can get.

At this point, it’s just go for it all this season and hope for the best. If you win a ring, great. If not, then time to rebuild.
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject:

This is much more than a pipe dream. There is starting to be some smoke coming out. The narrative was always that hes different and wants to be his own man/team. Well he just dispelled that today, even going as far as 3rd option. LOL, how many others teams have a top duo?

Add that with the clownshow the Bucks FO has been the last couple of years, and he still hasnt signed his supermax, this is going to gain some momentum. If he doesnt sign his supermax and AD goes 1 + 1..... welll....

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Would I love to have Giannis in Purple & Gold? Of course.

Would I love for him to join a 2-time defending team? Yes but not because of him. I love that because it means we won it again.

That being said...I'm all for player empowerment, but if players can tamper with other team's players then the NBA is going to have to extend this rule to all players under contract as well.

Recruiting FAs is fair game. But this sucks for the spirit of competition.

NBA is going to have to install a 2 Superstar Rule per Team or something.

What makes competition so exciting is when teams have rivals and fans honestly don't know who is going to win it all.

At least that's what I think.

How the heck would you impose such a rule? What if the team drafted 3 superstars like the Thunder? And what classifies a superstar? An all first NBA appearance? And what if a player can decide to just not play and tank their value a little so they can avoid an all first nba award so that they can avoid the rule and sign with their desired team?

With all those ridiculous implications in mind, the NBAPA would never go for it. And the NBA ain’t gonna anger that side of the court. Especially in a league run by the players.

The owners already have so much control over star talent that it’s insane. People try to throw in the “franchise tag” idea even though we already have something MUCH MORE restrictive, it’s called Restricted Free Agent. If a team can’t produce sufficient talent for their star player in 7 or 8 years, then THAT IS ON THEM.

No other league currently has THAT kind of restriction on players like the NBA does. All we are seeing now is players having control this time instead of organizations getting all the credit for building teams. If the owners wanted less move-ability from these stars, maybe don’t hire an incompetent front office, or maybe actually giving a (bleep) about winning?
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Would I love to have Giannis in Purple & Gold? Of course.

Would I love for him to join a 2-time defending team? Yes but not because of him. I love that because it means we won it again.

That being said...I'm all for player empowerment, but if players can tamper with other team's players then the NBA is going to have to extend this rule to all players under contract as well.

Recruiting FAs is fair game. But this sucks for the spirit of competition.

NBA is going to have to install a 2 Superstar Rule per Team or something.

What makes competition so exciting is when teams have rivals and fans honestly don't know who is going to win it all.

At least that's what I think.

Please!

Players should be able to talk to whoever they want! If they want to recruit and form super teams so be it. Back in the days there were a lot of "super" teams with starting lineups full of Hall of Famers. This is not anything new but for free agency and the salary caps.

Celtics: Bird, McHale, Parrish, Dennis Johnson
Sixers: Barkley, Cheeks, Dr. J, Moses Malone, Bobby Jones, (Andrew Toney - but for injuries)
Lakers: Kareem, Magic, Worthy, McAdoo, Wilkes

Can you imagine today trying to pay a Kareem, Magic, Worthy, McAdoo and Wilkes on one team?

The salary cap and free agency killed the great super teams of the 80s--but make no doubt--they were super!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Minority opinion here I’m sure, but I’m not certain this would be the best thing to be hanging over our heads all year.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he fits with our guys. Pass
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject:

He also mentioned Kevin Durant.

So answer me this question. If the Bucks are going to lose Giannis and they need to get something back, why wouldn't the Nets offer Kyrie for Giannis, both teams get a superstar.

And why would Giannis say no to extending his career in Brooklyn playing beside the best scorer in the NBA today?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Minority opinion here I’m sure, but I’m not certain this would be the best thing to be hanging over our heads all year.

Of course it isn't.

Laker fans are going to get burned again and show us to be a spoilt fanbase again and it's going to be nobody else's fault
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Let's' run some numbers. With KCP, Gasol, and Deng still on the books, LeBron/AD would have to take a major pay cut for Giannis to come. If we only keep AD/KCP/Gasol and the rights to Morris/THT, that would ONLY leave 13M for LeBron. A 28M pay cut. A wink wink agreement could be made where the Lakers promise to make that up on the back end when LeBron retires. Basically agree to pay LeBron an extra year even after he retires. Similar to what the Spurs did with Duncan and probably what we did with Marc Gasol.

If LeBron is open to that, I'd go all the way and see if he would be open to taking the room exception allowing the Lakers to be in a position to keep Kuzma, KCP, Caruso,THT, Morris.

AD 35.3
Giannis 33.6
KCP 13
Kuz 10.6
Caruso 5.2
Gasol 2.7
Morris 1.7
THT 1.8
4 cap holds 3.7
Deng 5
Total 112.6

Basically, with the cap shrining, Deng remaining on the books, signing KCP/Gasol on multi year deals, the only way for Giannis to sign via cap space is LeBron and/or AD taking a major pay cut for a year
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Agreed. The last thing we need is our current players not named AD or Lebron feeling that they are only rentals to be kicked to the curb come season's end.

The feelers are out there. The hints have been dropped. Fine. Lets get excited about it after we repeat...not now.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject:

I hope this thread will take a nap when the season starts, so we can enjoy the current team and not have to always keep day dreaming about this dude.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

Vandal08 wrote:
This will be "Chris Paul'd." No way the L allows it. Will be vetoed. If Shot'z is dumb enough to allow him to walk in FA then nothing anyone can do, but best believe some type of intervention of this Klutch player hoarding stuff is going to be implemented shortly after it or in the new CBA.

Not saying this won’t be “Chris Paul’d” but it will be damn fishy if he ends up with the Clippers, Warriors or Nets since they are the other teams with top end stars.

Same thing if Harden went to the Nets although I see that imploding anyway.

Can’t punish the Lakers and let him go to one of those teams. That would be targeting the Lakers and it would be BS.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject:

This thread had a good run.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject:

We’ll always have Kostas. Until we inevitably cut him.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:

Yup. Only way it's possible now is through a sign and trade. But why would the Bucks want KCP/Kuz?
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
We’ll always have Kostas. Until we inevitably cut him.

Maybe we're hoping that Giannis only signs until 2024?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject:

LG always makes strange threads about free agents. Melo, Westbrick, DeRozen. I've seen it all. This has just been another one of those that inevitably fades into nothingness.

For what it's worth, Giannis was actually trying to recruit Lebron and AD to the Bucks.

https://heavy.com/sports/los-angeles-lakers/giannis-antetokounmpo-recruits-lebron-james/
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

Giannis's Laker watch has ended.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

Lock it up. By Giannis. We hardly knew you.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Lock it up. By Giannis. We hardly knew you.

It was a fun 24 hours lol lots of exciting speculation
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject:

I’m gonna get killed for this. Not a huge fan of giannis. Don’t think he’s the skilled player Davis is. Idc about his MVPs and fake DPOY

don’t think that guy is a real #1 option. He’s gonna get better but just not that exciting to me

Luka? Holy crap that guys crazy good
Devin booker? That guy can flat out score.

To me giannis is like Russell Westbrook. Puts up nice stats, plays hard, does good things

Ain’t winning you a title
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
I’m gonna get killed for this. Not a huge fan of giannis. Don’t think he’s the skilled player Davis is. Idc about his MVPs and fake DPOY

don’t think that guy is a real #1 option. He’s gonna get better but just not that exciting to me

To me giannis is like Russell Westbrook. Puts up nice stats, plays hard, does good things

You can also compare Giannis with guys like Charles Barkley and Karl Malone guys who put up amazing stats but couldn’t get it done but I highly doubt that’s gonna be his trajectory, if he teams up with Luka or Butler he is definitely getting a championship.
LastStand 2.0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LastStand 2.0 wrote:

You can also compare Giannis with guys like Charles Barkley and Karl Malone guys who put up amazing stats but couldn’t get it done but I highly doubt that’s gonna be his trajectory, if he teams up with Luka or Butler he is definitely getting a championship.

Butler? Absolutely not. Butler had 1 great playoff series. Also by signing Bam I believe they’re also in a tough spot financially to sign him outright

But also to me butler happens all the time. It’s the Dwayne wade thing. That guy was never doing that again. 1 time deal. He’s good.

Luka? Ya that’d be rough. Luka is potentially the face of the league after lebron. He can do everything but defend. I think barring injury he’ll easily go down as the best euro player ever.

Shoots like dirk, handles like a PG, passes like lebron

Dudes incredible

But that’d prove my point. Giannis wouldn’t be #1, Luka would.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject:

We will need to get a 3rd superstar if Lebron actually begins to lose his grip as the league best player. Right now whatever physical decline Bron has had, he had made up with it other ways and been able to stay within the top 3. You add AD, and that is enough with role players.

But say if Bron declines a bit more, and becomes more limited to being an all-star level player vs superstar, a top 10 guy, sort of like Kobe was 2011-2013, then, you probably need to get a 3rd star to win rings.

Giannis was that insurance policy towards that - in case Bron declined from undisputed top 3/best to top 10-15, you could still win a ring as Giannis was that top 3 level player.

That is why I wanted him, and I am sure the Lakers will have a look at players via trade who can bring that. However without draft picks, it will be hard to get that player via trade, even with good trade assets like we have (Trez, Schroder, KCP, Kuz). Without a 3rd star, we will need incredible luck and fortune with Lebron/AD health/level over the next 3 years, as well as great role players. Because I do think Bron at some point has to drop a notch from top 3/best, to top 10-15. It is coming, even though he has done an incredible job delaying it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
We will need to get a 3rd superstar if Lebron actually begins to lose his grip as the league best player. Right now whatever physical decline Bron has had, he had made up with it other ways and been able to stay within the top 3. You add AD, and that is enough with role players.

But say if Bron declines a bit more, and becomes more limited to being an all-star level player vs superstar, a top 10 guy, sort of like Kobe was 2011-2013, then, you probably need to get a 3rd star to win rings.

Giannis was that insurance policy towards that - in case Bron declined from undisputed top 3/best to top 10-15, you could still win a ring as Giannis was that top 3 level player.

That is why I wanted him, and I am sure the Lakers will have a look at players via trade who can bring that. However without draft picks, it will be hard to get that player via trade, even with good trade assets like we have (Trez, Schroder, KCP, Kuz). Without a 3rd star, we will need incredible luck and fortune with Lebron/AD health/level over the next 3 years, as well as great role players. Because I do think Bron at some point has to drop a notch from top 3/best, to top 10-15. It is coming, even though he has done an incredible job delaying it.

I'm confident Schroeder can be that 3rd star in the future Of course he won't be a superstar, but a star that has a great passing game that can unlock AD's full potential? With Lebron slotting in as 3rd wheel? I think that has the potential to compete
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: