Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Roko Prkacin is almost assuredly going to be available at #22 and I need the Lakers to pick him.

What do you envision him becoming? Play-style wise and such. The highest offensive upside for him has to do with him becoming more of a creator - with shades of Odom offensively, add a jumper possibly. Maybe more Clippers Odom too with the passing....
it’s the high ceiling play-style I can try hard enough to envision for him. His handle is loose right now but it looks natural enough to develop.

Different play-style you want him to become? He’s so unique I honestly can’t visualize his upside. Modern Kukoc?

Edit: I Guess the Odom thing is too rigid of an archetype... In today’s game- he’s just a wing.. so he can catch on a swing at the 3pt line and make a play - or occasionally bring the ball up.. like SFs of yesteryear, but he’s a PF.. he can even play small 5 one day bcuz he’s strong (see videos above)

Julius Randle
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

^BVH, any hesitation with Roko's shot release?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
Roko Prkacin is almost assuredly going to be available at #22 and I need the Lakers to pick him.

What do you envision him becoming? Play-style wise and such. The highest offensive upside for him has to do with him becoming more of a creator - with shades of Odom offensively, add a jumper possibly. Maybe more Clippers Odom too with the passing....
it’s the high ceiling play-style I can try hard enough to envision for him. His handle is loose right now but it looks natural enough to develop.

Different play-style you want him to become? He’s so unique I honestly can’t visualize his upside. Modern Kukoc?

Edit: I Guess the Odom thing is too rigid of an archetype... In today’s game- he’s just a wing.. so he can catch on a swing at the 3pt line and make a play - or occasionally bring the ball up.. like SFs of yesteryear, but he’s a PF.. he can even play small 5 one day bcuz he’s strong (see videos above)

Julius Randle

I can envision that. Nice one
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

That is an excellent pun

Given how young he is, I think there's time to work that hitch out and hopefully speed up his release. The elbow flare isn't too egregious. I like the height on his release.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

That is an excellent pun

Given how young he is, I think there's time to work that hitch out and hopefully speed up his release. The elbow flare isn't too egregious. I like the height on his release.

Haha.

I wasn't as concerned with the elbow flare/hitch, as opposed to, the release point off of the outer to fingers instead of index/middle like 99.9% of the NBA.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is an excellent pun

Haha.

I wasn't as concerned with the elbow flare/hitch, as opposed to, the release point off of the outer to fingers instead of index/middle like 99.9% of the NBA.

Right, I saw PD Webb highlight that. That's a new one on me since it's so uncommon - I can't think of a precedent good or bad. Are you concerned?

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
My thing about this draft is: outside of the top 4 - there's so many players with major red flags.. probably 90% of the next consensus 15 players have real red flags.
I still like the idea of these players as prospects, this is a decent year even outside of the top 4.. I think it's better than 2016 & 17...
but it's not lost on me how up in the air major facets of their games are..
the players who are sure-things to be good players, I'm placing them high even if they're super old.

Some of these prospects with super broke jumpers - Keon and Jalen Johnson... Specifically Keon, I kinda doubt he's ever going to be a solid shooter, what do you guys think?
Sure we see a lot of players improve their shots - that's always the company line of the convo... and I agree, we see more of that today - but we also still see a lot of better looking forms than Keon, continue to struggle.
Troy Brown Jr, I'd love to see him be able to shoot but he shot 31% again; and he has a form that Keon will have to work 5 years to get.

With Keon, we're not talking about a college D.Fox or Sexton type of bad jump-shot, there's a lot of those in this draft, and I am decently optimistic with those..
But what do we do with Keon? Guys who had super broke forms out of college, or early in their NBA career like J.Winslow, Josh Jackson - it hasn't gotten better.. Ntilikina, Zhiare Smith, E.Payton.. so many lotto picks..

I'm curious how you see Keon's jumpshot as broken.

Broadly, a wonky jumper/perimeter shooting is the most easily improved skill, but it's still not easy. And when guys do improve it often doesn't come during their first contracts, so hopefully they offer enough ancillary skills to provide plus value until their shooting (hopefully) comes around.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is an excellent pun

Haha.

Right, I saw PD Webb highlight that. That's a new one on me since it's so uncommon - I can't think of a precedent good or bad. Are you concerned?

No, but on the stream, I think I commented that the only other player with that shot release was Stojakovic, but it was more fluid bottom to top.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
My thing about this draft is: outside of the top 4 - there's so many players with major red flags.. probably 90% of the next consensus 15 players have real red flags.
I still like the idea of these players as prospects, this is a decent year even outside of the top 4.. I think it's better than 2016 & 17...
the players who are sure-things to be good players, I'm placing them high even if they're super old.

Some of these prospects with super broke jumpers - Keon and Jalen Johnson... Specifically Keon, I kinda doubt he's ever going to be a solid shooter, what do you guys think?
Sure we see a lot of players improve their shots - that's always the company line of the convo... and I agree, we see more of that today - but we also still see a lot of better looking forms than Keon, continue to struggle.
Troy Brown Jr, I'd love to see him be able to shoot but he shot 31% again; and he has a form that Keon will have to work 5 years to get.

With Keon, we're not talking about a college D.Fox or Sexton type of bad jump-shot, there's a lot of those in this draft, and I am decently optimistic with those..
But what do we do with Keon? Guys who had super broke forms out of college, or early in their NBA career like J.Winslow, Josh Jackson - it hasn't gotten better.. Ntilikina, Zhiare Smith, E.Payton.. so many lotto picks..

Broadly, a wonky jumper/perimeter shooting is the most easily improved skill, but it's still not easy. And when guys do improve it often doesn't come during their first contracts, so hopefully they offer enough ancillary skills to provide plus value until their shooting (hopefully) comes around.

He's a guy that kills the energy into his jumpshot, and the wrist flick is carrying the shot almost entirely.

Hence, his range is only 15' and he's still really comfortable at 10', which is rare.

LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Draft combine invite list:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1404908304262909952?s=21
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

He's a guy that kills the energy into his jumpshot, and the wrist flick is carrying the shot almost entirely.

Hence, his range is only 15' and he's still really comfortable at 10', which is rare.

Right, how bad his shot looks from even 18ft is really rare to me.. His release is remedially slow. It all looks remedial at the 3 point line - his upper body and lower body look so unnatural in how they work with eachother - it looks like a form you’d see at the park in that way , looking at his upper and lower 2 piece motion. Like, the lower body bends, then the upper body gets into it. Unnatural shooter. This isn’t Okoro.. I was willing to buy his form having a good chance of getting better. Keon’s release specifically is just so slow and it’s all unnatural.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Mark10 45 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

Right, how bad his shot looks from even 18ft is really rare to me.. His release is remedially slow. It all looks remedial at the 3 point line - his upper body and lower body look so unnatural in how they work with eachother - it looks like a form you’d see at the park in that way , looking at his upper and lower 2 piece motion. Like, the lower body bends, then the upper body gets into it. Unnatural shooter. This isn’t Okoro.. I was willing to buy his form having a good chance of getting better. Keon’s release specifically is just so slow and it’s all unnatural.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBADraftScoutin/status/1404897170986311683

Your boy JT Thor saying he’s actually 18 not 19! That’s huge for his upside. You may be o to something having him at 5.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Chris Duarte turned down his combine invite. OKC, Knicks?

Btw having gout in your wrists is a pain in the a$$.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mark10 45 wrote:

Ok I just bought some McBride stock after watching more tape and comparing him to others in the class.. I wasn’t giving him the same upside-benefit-of-the -doubt, as I was others .. while he actually has a shorter road to travel to reach a good upside. I put him 8th on my board.

Compare him to Keon..... And to do that, we first need to admit that McBride is a top 5 athlete in the 1st round himself.... He’s a plus athlete especially with how functional it is defensively..also very functional w his speed attacking.. Keon has the longest road to travel of maybe any wing in the class to get a jumper —— while McBride is likely to translate as a pretty good shooter(at least).. his realistic floor if everything doesn’t go wrong, is high.. and his ceiling is high enough compared to this class.. Scottie Barnes realistic ceiling isn’t that high. McBride is a plus athlete who’s a safe bet in context of this class

6’2.5” guards are a dime a dozen, but he plays bigger than that on defense.

Yes, at this point I am not sure he gets credit for the level of athlete that he is on the court. He has a burst of speed that I mostly have seen on a football field where he can change gears (and seemingly skip a few gears) to get past his guy like an elite RB when he sees a hole open up. I am not sure if you know his backstory, but he comes from excellent genes as his father played college ball (at a MAC school I think?) and his mom was a track star at Ohio State.

The only reason Deuce likely ended up at WVU is because he suffered a severe injury in football as a Junior. He was the starting QB and PG @ Cincinnati Moeller which is a Power 5 factory in Ohio across all sports. Alumni include Buddy Bell (and his sons), Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Larkin among many more pro's including Deuce's high school teammate Jax Hayes (Pelicans). Deuce was on many blue bloods radar in football and basketball....and most expected him to attend Ohio State for football since his mother had an athletic legacy there. He broke his ankle/foot pretty bad early in the football season which caused him to miss most of his Junior year in football and much of basketball. All of the blue bloods kind of faded away, and he decided to play only basketball his Senior season.

Since many P5 college classes we filled, it looked like he may have to take the mid-major route. His high school coach knew Huggins from his long tenure at University of Cincinnati and basically advised Huggins to offer him on the high school coaches word. Huggins did and he committed. It was a great gamble as he was great his Senior season and led Moeller to another state championship. If he never gets hurt, he likely commits to Ohio State (or another blue blood) long before the coach even calls Huggins.

I knew early his Freshman season that we had stole one and he was special. WVU was playing in a holiday tournament in Cancun and was favored to win the tournament. In the Semi-Finals, WVU found themselves down 15 points to a good North Iowa team with less than 10 minutes to go in the game....and our young roster appeared panicked. Deuce came off the bench and began draining contested mid range shots, 3's, blocking shots and dishing dimes while bringing WVU back to win the game. There is just something special about the young man....never gets shook and the moment is never too big for him.

WVU vs. North Iowa Highlights - Early in Deuce's Freshman Season

Agree with the above except I don't consider his burst of speed to be special. He is better than average in this regard but in comparison I see Tyrese Maxey as a player with elite speed/burst. His handles and body control allows him to get separation and court position to win against his defender.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Chris Duarte turned down his combine invite. OKC, Knicks?

Btw having gout in your wrists is a pain in the a$$.

And another higher upside young player slides closer to the Lakers pick.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I am starting to favor Jared Butler if Tre Mann is gone.

See him as a Malik Beasley type scorer while providing ancillary PG skills and defensive potential.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

See him as a Malik Beasley type scorer while providing ancillary PG skills and defensive potential.

Beasley's much more of an athletic advantage off-ball scorer, though he can get going on OtD jumpers when he's feeling it.

This is total recency bias, but Butler reminds me of a bigger Cameron Payne. Having a guy who can come in off the bench and hit pull-up threes and keep defenses honest with the occasional drive to the cup would be nice to have, especially since Butler seems like he'll be better defensively.

I'm skeptical of him (and Mann) as a future NBA starter versus younger guys like Springer and Prkacin who could be there at #22, though.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I still don't understand how Scottie Barnes is expected to score in the half-court. Unless a guy is a legit switchable rim protector I've come around to avoiding defensive specialists in the lottery. Barnes is a legit high-level passer, but how does he consistently leverage that skill if he's not a threat to score?

He has a decent handle and some wiggle for his size, but he lacks burst and there's not much reason to close out on him. The shooting likely takes years to come around if it ever does. Teams will gladly let him try to score in the post against most switches. His saving grace is that he has good touch around the rim, but is that negated somewhat against bigger, better NBA athletes? To top it off, he'll go minutes without looking at the basket.

Why would you spend precious draft capital on Barnes and willingly construct a team around his very stark strengths and weaknesses? You have to assume he's not merely a good defender, but a great, All-NBA caliber one - that seems like a low probability bet to me. Otherwise you're drafting a cool kid for locker room vibes and a few sweet short roll passes per game.

Just one of the most confusing draft prospect love fests in recent years. There's nothing wrong with taking the kid 16th. But taking him 6th is setting him up to fail.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

Beasley's much more of an athletic advantage off-ball scorer, though he can get going on OtD jumpers when he's feeling it.

This is total recency bias, but Butler reminds me of a bigger Cameron Payne. Having a guy who can come in off the bench and hit pull-up threes and keep defenses honest with the occasional drive to the cup would be nice to have, especially since Butler seems like he'll be better defensively.

I'm skeptical of him (and Mann) as a future NBA starter versus younger guys like Springer and Prkacin who could be there at #22, though.

I just see that non advantage ball handling and shooting and think Jeff Teague floor.

I'm skeptical of Mann because of his inability to break pressure and he gets heated up on the dribble. I think McBride made it look embarrassing.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I still don't understand how Scottie Barnes is expected to score in the half-court. Unless a guy is a legit switchable rim protector I've come around to avoiding defensive specialists in the lottery. Barnes is a legit high-level passer, but how does he consistently leverage that skill if he's not a threat to score?

He has a decent handle and some wiggle for his size, but he lacks burst and there's not much reason to close out on him. The shooting likely takes years to come around if it ever does. Teams will gladly let him try to score in the post against most switches. His saving grace is that he has good touch around the rim, but is that negated somewhat against bigger, better NBA athletes? To top it off, he'll go minutes without looking at the basket.

Why would you spend precious draft capital on Barnes and willingly construct a team around his very stark strengths and weaknesses? You have to assume he's not merely a good defender, but a great, All-NBA caliber one - that seems like a low probability bet to me. Otherwise you're drafting a cool kid for locker room vibes and a few sweet short roll passes per game.

Just one of the most confusing draft prospect love fests in recent years. There's nothing wrong with taking the kid 16th. But taking him 6th is setting him up to fail.

I have the same issue, that's why I have him lower down than most. It's a Boris Diaw thing, except, Diaw learned to shoot and actually had real vert when he was a younger player. Scottie, does not have that, and unless he plays 4 (and doesn't draw gravity there), then I don't see where he's an advantage on the court and becomes poor man Ben Simmons on both ends of the floor.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

I understand your skepticism. I also have my concerns about both being future NBA starters. My expectations at pick 22 is to be solid rotational players with bonus if they evolve into starters.

I do have a different perception between pg/wings vs. pf/centers when it comes to starting and draft position. I see pg and wings needing to be better athletes and better skilled vs. pf and centers. For this reason I tend to believe starters for big men can be found later in the draft. By the last 3rd of the first round the good athletes have been selected or those available are lacking in skill.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

I just see that non advantage ball handling and shooting and think Jeff Teague floor.

I'm skeptical of Mann because of his inability to break pressure and he gets heated up on the dribble. I think McBride made it look embarrassing.

That's the thing. He has these skills at a high level. Can working with trainers like Handy improve his ability to apply these skills (creating advantage with his ball handling)?

Btw Butler is only 20 years old.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

That's the thing. He has these skills at a high level. Can working with trainers like Handy improve his ability to apply these skills (creating advantage with his ball handling)?

Btw Butler is only 20 years old.

It tells me he's not reading a defender, and defaulting to a skill move.

The reading, is one of the hard parts.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Starting to like the idea of swinging for the fences and grab JT Thor at 22.
Bet his stock rises during workouts

Also would take a crack at Roko.

Think my fav Duarte has a promise already.....ugh
Mark10 45
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject:

yea the scary thing for me was his supreme difficulty scoring in the halfcourt being on display in his team's first game, vs some fringe D1 team...he really struggled..I was off of him then. But he went on to have a solid season.. his halfcourt scoring is a real problem
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 26 of 53
Jump to: